Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Jackard posted:

I recently bought a smart phone and there seem to be a lot of cheap roguelikes for Android. Are there any worth playing?

Crawl on Android isn't too bad, but I'm not here about crawl, I'm here to tell you about Wazhack which I just found yesterday and is awesome. Side scrolling turn based ish(world moves when you do), free to try, and you just buy characters in sets of 2 for a dollar so you can spend as much or as little as you like on it.

I'd like to know some spoilers though. Bought the Knight/valk combo but more so than most roguelikes, I die with a ton of unid stuff in my inventory. Anything to look out for or any other wazhack tips? (I'm still working my way from page 14 :v )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

..btt posted:

I've not spent much time with this, and what little I did was back before he started charging for it, but the game is very heavily based on nethack, so the identification system is likely similar, along with monsters, intrinsics, etc.

Last time I tried it, I reached a certain depth and a pop-up told me I had to pay to go deeper. Immediately uninstalled it.

Yeah that's how it's set up. Free to try, then you can buy whatever classes you want (2 for a dollar) which you can take to the end of the game. All of my deaths are from 300+ depth doors/sewers that spawn too many mobs around me being lvl 6 or 7. I don't activate them manually, so what can I do here? I'm actually really happy one person replied because in the last 94 pages the game was brought up thrice, with no one replying anything. I think it's a really fun RL with hands down the best phone RL UI I've played so far. Just not sure what to do when I'm lvl 7 and walk past a door that brings Dwarf/troll lords after me.

I so far only have the Knight/valk combo but I'm open to other playstyle suggestions/tips.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 3, 2014

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I'm the only scrub who has been pronouncing it like "good" with a c.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Thanks for the day-making appreciative words.

In terms of Scourgebringer, folks would do well to appreciate they put more comprehensive effort, to an almost baffling degree, within this last internal update to get the game to v1.0 than pretty much the sum of all their other Early Access updates spanning all these months wholesale----Early Access might as well have been a (bad-good) dream of folks playing a still decently meaty demo by comparison. If they can somehow keep doing even half as much a quarter as hard for post-release support then Hot drat~

ALSO...Early Access on Epic for Darkest Dungeon 2 come ~Spring of 2021 so---that's going to be momentous one way or another.

I really, really hope they speed up the game some. I LOVE darkest dungeon, I have all the DLC, but I've never finished a game because it is all just SO FOREVER TAKING. Maybe making the controller controls more intuitive and requiring less presses too. I'm sure it's not an issue on pc with a mouse but on ps4 and especially Vita it is hell

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Speaking of Let It Die, what other good roguelikes/lites are on ps4? I'm working away from home 12 hr shift days and games I can do a run or 2 of are the only ones I really have time to play. I've been playing GalakZ which in spite of being ugly as sin is actually super fun, I finally beat 2-1 this morning so I'm looking forward to finally seeing what's next. I also got The Long Journey Home, been doing the tutorial, hard game till you get used to its physics. I've had rogue legacy and binding of Isaac forever so I'm pretty done with those. I've heard some things about moonlighter, but I'm not sure it's my bag.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

perc2 posted:

There are plenty of great roguelites available that a couple of "best roguelites" Google search will help you with, but if you or anyone is interested in as traditional a roguelike experience as you can on this platform, the pickings are truly slim from what I've played:

Caution with Dragon Fin Soup. At a glance it looks like the business, but (and apologies because it's been a few years), I remember getting seriously frustrated with it, like it has some fundamental issues that make it not fun to play.

Yeah, I have dragonfin soup. It had the makings of something good but I think the game was abandoned on release so none of the bugs or graphical issues got fixed. Also on the vita. I wish I could find a physical copy of Shiren for Vita somewhere at that.

Gungeon was on sale so I bought that. Great stuff so far.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

bees x1000 posted:

Speaking of gutting metaprogression, Gungeon’s policy of not giving you credits on the special runs you have to pay credits for always irked me. I can’t believe I played 100 hours of that game before I realized I didn’t like it.

I feel this so hard. I got it a couple of months ago and I enjoy the feel so much (not a big fan of twin stick shooters in general, only usually try out the roguelikey ones) but now it's another one of those games to me that I just wish wasn't even a roguelike at all because I love how it plays but can't stand its progression.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Hey I know I'm a little late on this and I never thought I'd hear about it here because I don't think of it as a roguelike, but I've been playing Void Tyrant for years on and off when I need to waste half an hour or more and have the battery for it. It's a real good game y'all. Yes there's a lot of ads but not all are 30 secs. Also you can beat Freebot but he is very difficult. You also don't have to spend money. If you can count cards the game will be real easy to you. I've beaten the game on a fresh save, it is actually possible with lucky drops/shop with no metaprog stuff unlocked but it is very hard and a Lil subject to rng. Still, meta prog stuff does make poo poo a lot easier by boosting your stats and speeding things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Upsidads posted:

So...Hand of Merlin? Anyone played?

I searched the thread for this and no one pipped in the year since this post went up but its on sale for 12 bux so i chanced it and so far in the second act, enjoying it. It's a tbs fights (very similar to Banner Saga) with STS level progression kinda game, but it's very heavy on the narrative, each lil node has its own fluff piece. Hoping it doesn't break apart but so far so good.