Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Unormal does more on each of his 100,000 projects in a day than I do on my combined 3 projects in a week. Someone punch me in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I wish I could pay to play with that CoQ.

Word. I probably wouldn't get much sleep tonight if I had that CoQ to keep me busy.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

hand of luke posted:

Yep, for EA on Steam. Still in pencil, though, but we're hopeful.

I feel that really nervous feeling, like we've gone out together a couple of times and really started to get to know each other. After a few drinks we're on my couch making out and I decide to go for it and rub your dick from over the top of your very fashionable jorts. I can tell you're really into it and you suggest we move to the bedroom. Things really start to heat up and in no time I'm bare rear end naked with my raging 2-incher ready to pop like a zit. You giggle and excuse yourself saying "Waaaaaaiiiiit, I have to go the bathroom." Now I'm sitting under the covers with a half-chub wondering if there will be awkward conversation when you finally come to back bed and if I'll be able to get it up again and if you really meant the weird stuff you said about "the blacks" that I let slide because you were cute.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

You're welcome, gimme a key. (or i'll make a dungeonmans named "handoflukeisadumbutt").

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I pronounce it "blueballs".

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I will not buy Cogmind. Robots are taking jobs away from hard working dwarves, elves, and necromansers, and I'll be damned if I support it happening.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Unormal posted:

I'm not personally planning on doing such a thing, no. If one of you guys wants to do a Qud thread, go for it.

It's the fifteenth in like africa or mars or some poo poo. I'm tired of hearing about your dick. Show it to me. It's time.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Awesome! posted:

at this point you would need to proceed directly into sucking off gabe since unormal cant force valve to update the store any faster

Ugh, again? I mean he's girthy, but not traditionally pretty.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I killed Tam with my second character.

A bloody watervine farmer avenged him shortly thereafter, but I tell you what, I was king of Joppa there for about 100 turns.

Roland the four armed turtle dude will rise again and conquer all. The laptop keymapping also suuuuuuuuucks.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Ah gently caress, jilted lover.

So is it worth being a gunslinger? It was pretty loving cool till I ran out of ammo. There doesn't seem to be an easy way for me to always have that poo poo (and I generally resent ammo mechanics in the first place).

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Seed spitting vines are loving me up. I don't like it not one bit.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're fragile; if you don't have any other ranged attack, grab a bow (e.g. from a snapjaw archer) and arrows are everywhere.

Oh, I always have a ranged weapon. In fact I have like 20 that have been rusted by kudzu.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Well, I beat the Red Rocks and Argyve quest. Are the two quests in Joppa the only quests in the game so far?

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Argyve should send you to Grit Gate, a dungeon/town to the northeast -- he has multiple quests, so keep talking to him until he does. Grit Gate in turn will send you to Golgotha, and if you survive that they'll send you to Bethesda Susa. Additionally, there's a town vaguely east of Joppa called Kyakukya (or something like that) which has a horribly lethal quest to take out a psychic goatman shaman.

My axe wielding true human barely made it through red rocks so I suppose I'll take him to die in one of these horrible places.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
What's up with cell recharging? The tinker archetype starts with the ability, but it's not clear what skill gives it to him (or what it requires to use).

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

dis astranagant posted:

Tinkering I gives it and it uses A bits (turn on colorblind tinkering), something like 1 per 4000 energy restored. A chem cell has 10k capacity.

poo poo I don't have any of those. Guess my teleporter and magical firehammer remain a doorstop and a normal hammer. Whenever I hit something with this it feels as if I were taking the remote control up to the cable box and using it to poke at the buttons like a fat-finger wand.

Also tinker i didn't give it to me, so maybe you need disassemble too.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 16, 2015

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I don't know how, but I just killed Mehmet as a starting character on accident, so that's a thing.

That's cool and all, but like. I need those xp from the quest.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 16, 2015

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

dis astranagant posted:

He randomly shows up on the warden's poo poo list and since the warden's somewhere around level 30...

Oh that explains why the warden was flipping out at the time. He needs to relax, seriously.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Unormal posted:

It's surprisingly hard to strike the balance between buffering keystrokes and not being an rear end in a top hat with buffering. However I think zoning is a place I can probably safely ditch the buffer. Better to 'w'alk than hold the keys in general, though.

Why buffer keystrokes in a roguelike at all? I don't think dungeonmans does and it's better for it.

Also if you're going to include autoexplore you can't be loving clever about it. Oh autoexplore will stop if it sees a monster but not a plant that can attack you and kill you cause it's not really a monster, lol. Your generator can't pump out massive pile of poo poo maps with nothing but boredom in 90% them and the solution to them being boring is a button that has a decent chance of killing the player.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Eonwe posted:

young ivory is Cave of Qud's way of telling your rookie mental mutation guy making GBS threads on everything in sight that he is still very much mortal

It's also my rap name.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Pretty thin skinned in here. Take carapace next time.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Fuligin posted:

Welp, my praetorian ended up being my most successful character by far. I got all the way through Golgotha (which was hilarious), then figured I would check out that ruin all the way in the northwest. Turns out it's the Six Day Stilt, although it was completely deserted as far as I could tell. On my way back I ran into the lair of a "Legendary Salt Kraken" and figured that I could always Recoil out if poo poo got real. RIP Probinus :(

I just got to Golgatha for the first time today. I slid down an electricity tube. It was not funny.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

To be fair, autowalk really should treat those wall plants as enemies and not path you right into them.

Yeah, I would think it's pretty loving obvious, but you know... roguelikes.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
So I went ahead and started to read some Tales of the Dying Earth, because that seemed like a cool thing to do. Holy poo poo, this is some badly written, misogynistic, rapey, trite, wish-fulfillment. It's no wonder Gary Gygax liked it.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

andrew smash posted:

they also compress okay

Tsk tsk. Lazy lazy.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

The zen master asked as he said as zipped a rar of his zip file. The laws of physics (as the materialist would have us believe them) state that information cannot be destroyed. What then if he reduced this file to 0 megabytes, then to 0 kilobytes, then to 0 bytes, then to 0 bits? What would the world make of this paradox? He knew not the purpose of his work, only that it was valuable, and that the paradox he wrought would create a new golden age.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
My feelings about Caves of Qud are that I'm absolutely in love with the setting, the writing, and the entire basis of the game. The day it launched on Early Access happened to coincide with a day off work (I work weird hours), and I immediately bought it and played it for probably 8 hours straight. It absolutely captures my imagination, and I'm thrilled that this thing exists and at this point exists in a reasonably commercially successful space (for a roguelike). I've told my friends about it and told them that I love it and think that should play it... with some caveats.

And those caveats are loving HUGE!

Dungeonmans has the silly shopping mini game that I think of as bad game design and explain to everyone how silly it is that one devs potionboner prevents his game from being better. Caves of Qud is basically a never ending list of such problems. From what I can actually tell, the gameplay was designed from a purely simulationist standpoint and any fun was entirely incidental. Fortunately that simulationist approach created a lot of fun but it is entirely not incidental, accidental, and poorly understood. You can have a lot of fun playing Caves of Qud, but you can also have a lot of fun watching a train wreck.

It's a pretty good game, but it's horrifically unsatisfying that the best case scenario is you hit the end of the main quest chain and everything is over, and because the development team isn't full time I can't reasonably guarantee people to whom I recommend the game that it will ever be finished. I've spent money on way stupider things, but I don't know that I would out and out encourage it.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

victrix posted:

I love Patreon unapologetically, even with all the idiocy it can attract. There's something rad about actual patronage being a real thing again.

I view it totally differently from Kickstarters et al too, but I haven't really looked at how successfull patron... ees? patroners? patrons? really make it work for them.

But... Kickstarter is patronage.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

The way I view it is, Kickstarter is for "if I get enough money, I will do this thing, and funders get some special benefit", while Patreon is "I am doing this thing, and funders can help ensure that it continues to be done." In particular, the Patreons I'm familiar with don't generally gate their "primary content" (blog posts or comics or whatever) behind being a patron; the content is available publicly. The patrons at most just get access to behind-the-scenes stuff like streams or chats with the creator.

I guess I can see that. I'm not anyone who ever took the promises of artists or entrepreneurs seriously, so that difference is likely less palpable to me.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Yeah, the main thing for me is that when I add someone on Patreon I explicitly do not expect to get anything for my money beyond a little feelgood, while if I back something on Kickstarter it's because I want a piece of whatever product they're making (and am willing to take the gamble that it may not pan out). Kickstarters are calculated risks and Patreons are tip jars.

But the primary factor stopping you from treating them identically is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

On Kickstarter you're paying them for something that they haven't already made out of the misguided belief that they'll ever actually finish it or that it will be good. On Patreon you're paying them for something that they've already made and which you've already enjoyed, pretty much just because you think the creator is a cool dude.

This could be true with a truckload of caveats. It's possible to give to Kickstarters run newcomers who have never made anything. It's possible to only give to Kickstarters run by people solid track records whose work you know you enjoy. It's obviously possible to do some of both. Obviously past success is no guarantee of future success, but you have that same issue with Patreon.

I get that they are different, and have different uses. I'm probably just over sensitive to the strange distaste some people have for Kickstarter.