Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

In Brogue, do I want my armor class to be a lower or higher number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Higher, though stealth being lower is better and it's hard to get both high armor+low stealth range

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think pretty much everything other than Nethack goes by the "more armor is more better" system instead of that godawful AD&D thac0 thing.

Thanks!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Anyone else pumped for the supposedly impending release of Ultima Ratio Regum 0.8.0? If you're not familiar, it's basically an Umberto Eco simulator:

quote:

It’s a game which aims to integrate thematic content on historiography, philosophical idealism and the rise of modernist grand narratives, with the deep, complex and challenging gameplay one expects from a “classic” roguelike (and, of course, an ANSI display and permadeath). Set approximately around the Scientific Revolution, the player is tasked with discovering a conspiracy via identifying procedurally-generated clues hidden throughout the world’s cultures, religions and societies; the game features extensive procedural generation of everything from tombs and religious altars to (in the future) paintings and sculptures, any or all of which may contain the clues required in a given playthrough.

0.8.0 will be the first release in which the aforementioned gameplay is actually present; up until now it's focused on environment/history generation and there's not much to do beyond wander around. I fear that I might be overhyping this game in my head, and I'm sure that it'll be quite a while, if ever, before its full potential is realized, but it sounds like it's just completely off the loving map in terms of the usual scope of a roguelike. Also it's got lovely ANSI graphics:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Maybe since conversations are such a huge part of the game "precision" refers to your character's aptitude at accurately describing complex ideas

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What are everybody's favorite roguelikes for iPad? I've got iNethack2 and Brogue, obviously, as well as Cardinal Quest 2. I've heard Rogue Ninja and Pixel Dungeons are good, but they don't look like they bring much to the table that's unique or innovative.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Obligatory mention of Hoplite.

Hoplite, Imbroglio and 868-HACK are all extremely dope, but I'm looking for something a little more epic in scale.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

No point playing Talisman unless you're playing the Insane Clown Posse version, "The Quest for Shangri-La."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

e: thanks awful app

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is there gameplay in the latest URR release?

I generated a world, walked around a town and looked at buildings but I didn't find any NPCs.

Not yet. The next release (0.8.0) will have gameplay and is slated for release in September.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 28, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Why's that guy naked

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Slime posted:

Nethack is basically a point and click adventure game in roguelike form.

Specifically a Sierra point-and-click game with their bullshit puzzles where clicking the wrong pixel makes your head explode.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dr. Dos posted:

Fatfingering in ADOM and accidentally spending a skill-up on Haggling instead of Healing :geno:

You could get some sweet deals on healing potions though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rutibex posted:

If it's not actually hard why don't you beat the final boss?

You are supposed to find lots of "game breaking" combos. You are supposed to use those to push yourself further, and try to level up as fast as you can. There are ways to find very high level monsters. If your party is so powerful then go kill the high level monsters and level up even more quickly. The game goes up to level 10,000!

The problem is that you didn't actually design a game, you just threw a bunch of poo poo together with no regard for balance or sensible player progression and are using the "it's supposed to be hard!" excuse whenever someone criticizes how lazy it is.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Slime posted:

if your game is nothing but grind why not just make a cookie clicker clone

also what the gently caress is wrong with the code for selecting a target when it's an ally. I try and heal my guy in slot 3 using my white mage who's in slot 4. Starting at slot 1 I go right once, twice and...it's targeting the white mage. I look at my roster below the combat screen and yep, it goes from slot to to slot 4 to slot 3 when I go right. I look up at the battle screen and realize that my white mage has moved left of the guy in slot 3. The code that handles selecting allies is literally arranging the order you select them in by their physical position on the screen rather than by the actual order they are in the party. How did someone gently caress it up that bad? Was it you? Was it some awful library you're using?

This is what happens when you make a roguelike in RPG Maker

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rutibex cares not for your "feedback." FFR is what it is and no more. There are only those who can brave it and those who cannot.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Daikatana's actually kind of fun though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I absolutely love all the varied pixel density in the sprites. That's the true mark of quality.

It actually doesn't look any worse than the official iOS/Android port of FF6

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Reminder that Rutibex is not only a Bad Game Designer and has Bad Opinions about boardgames, but generally a Bad Person who has no problems with this being a theme for a game.

Do not engage.

IMO mocking feminism and anti-racist activists is worse than liking hentai

Weedle
May 31, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

Nearly every combination of two words is already a game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319050/

Sounds fun!

this actually looks kinda dope

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deathbagel posted:

You mean The Bro-phecy which was a sacred foretelling of the end times by our lord and savior Saint Rippetoe. And he said unto us "When the land upturns and and the skies crash to the ground... only the swole shall survive."

This reminds me of this amazing bodybuilding subreddit I found once called "Swole Acceptance" where everybody talks to each other like they're Viking warriors. I think whoever makes this game could get a lot of inspiration from there.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

What's a good coffee-break roguelike in the vein of DoomRL (do we have to start calling it DRL now?), ideally with less inventory management and more focus on combat tactics? I'm designing my own roguelike now and taking some heavy inspiration from DoomRL, but one of the things I hate is the constant need to think about your inventory, particularly in the vein of "do I want to drop this ammo for this consumable". Something where you're really focused on positioning and using the right weapon/spell/etc. for the job.

Space Grunts?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

Isn't hero siege just a straight from mobile port? That would explain the gameplay being slooooow.

No, it was ported to mobile a couple of years after its release on PC.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

Is there such a thing as a rogue like for babies? I try Binding of Isaac now and then and just can't get into it.

Because I'm a baby.

*pounds fists on table* doom r l. doom r l. doom r l

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LordSloth posted:

It's been years since I touched it (not having an iPhone), but I do recall 100 Rogues, though it's iOs only. Maybe I should emulate it and see if it is still good- it came out in 2010 when mobile roguelikes were more scarce.
Edit: and it looks like any development on that game is kinda dead ever since they made an Ouya port.

It wasn't good when it came out. Not much has changed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My first roguelike was Rogue :smug:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

andrew smash posted:

mine was castle of the winds back when i didn't know what a roguelike was and it was just this hard as hell game my dad got on some pirate disk

Oh poo poo actually mine was this. I played it on my uncle's computer when I was like six.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I have fond memories of my freshman year in college playing UnReal World on my crappy old Toshiba laptop in the common room while hoping nobody tried to talk to me. No I did not have a girlfriend in college.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Roguelikes - I dropped my hands somehow

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LordSloth posted:

So, anyone have any (old/new) 7DRL's they'd recommend? I don't have the spare energy to learn one of the more complicated RLs, so I've been messing around with Hellion which is a turn-based Shmup. "Think 'What if Starfox was turn-based?'". I'm also gonna mess around with Arachne which deviates from RL norms by letting you deform the spiderweb/amp as you play as a core mechanic.

Regarding Shiren coming to PC, unfortunately between the mystery dungeon upgrade to one way heroics and some polling they did, we're more likely to get an Otome game on steam. https://mobile.twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/763711318893309954

That's disappointing, but I just looked up what Kenka Bancho Otome is and it actually sounds kind of awesome.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think it's charming. Reminds me of a Windows 95 shareware RPG.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

This is rad. What are you coding in / what editor is that?

Looks like Visual C#

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rt4 posted:

cogmind loving rules

:yeah:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Toejam and Earl is going to be GOTY

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You could probably do this as a Caves of Qud mod. Replace mutations with growing different body parts and materials with "equipment" attached to those body parts.

Cogmind?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

teacup posted:

What are some of the best roguelikes for iPad? I'm loving FTL and steam world dig (not sure if that counts) but for example didn't love the controls of death road to Canada . I think games where you can pause easily / more turn based on general work on iOS a bit better. Just trying to scratch that itch!!

Brogue is free and the best "classic"-style roguelike ever made.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Powder for iOS is the latest release (117) and free to download but requires a $10 unlock to go past dungeon level 15. It also looks absolutely ghastly and probably won't work on iOS 11 unless the dev updates it, which hasn't happened for over five years.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Most professional critics seem to think Strafe is pretty good, but professional game critics aren't exactly known for being particularly discerning. The consensus of the general public is far more negative, it seems, with most of the complaints centering around the poor gunplay and uninspired environments.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

Is Xenomarine the one that Kornel of DRL was working on, or is that something else?

That's Jupiter Hell.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Unormal posted:

As someone who likes Ace of Base I can verify this.

Since you're here, have you considered adding some kind of cloud save support to Sproggiwood for iOS? All of my progress is on my phone but I would love to play it on my iPad as well. Even just some kind of Dropbox upload would be great.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cerepol posted:

It looks cool but I don't know of anything which became an instant turnoff harder than cards in games. They nearly 100% of the time suck and are uninteresting.

YOU TALKIN poo poo ABOUT DREAM QUEST???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

victrix posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/371430/Space_Grunts/

Anyone mucked with that? He's working on another interesting game due out this year too.

This is really fun, kind of a DoomRL lite. I used to play it a lot on my phone until it started having trouble saving my state when switching away from the app and I got tired of losing progress on good runs.