Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
This is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Mexican Gohan is true terror.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

A yellow ambulance. I am losing my poo poo over here.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Utgardaloki posted:

Omega Tiger Woods? Am I seeing this?

I really hope Omega Tom Hanks is in this roster.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

The Kins posted:

I played with it a little and cropped it to avatar size because why the hell not:

All over this. Thanks a ton!

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

I had to cut some colors down a bit, but I think this will do nicely. I was in steam chat as River City Ransom 64, and I think I have a new hobby.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

The numbers go up, and they go down.

The worst part is I can't stop betting on DBZ characters.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M&list=LL-rZ0LaxyjxQ1mNW-HvNmAQ

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

From what I understand, they are glitched characters that don't actually exist or something. The game then makes it take on a simple AI routine where they high punch and jump and thats it.

Mugen characters are made up of their graphics, their movesets, and an AI set that governs their actions when the computer plays the character. Rexicon is spot on about the default AI scripts included with the program, but these scripts have no way to analyze what combos a character is capable of or have any sense of what moves are actually a good idea to use at any given position outside of the most basic. The base scripts break hard when nonstandard movement is included with a character (flying is a huge pain in this regard). This means that default balance simply doesn't exist.

Another issue is basic stat weighting. The DBZ guys obviously have some AI issues, but they also have comparatively ludicrous health values and do insane damage with every hit, with some exceptions.

To compound this problem even further is the fact that a lot of characters have identical or similar sprite sets, and similar if not identical names. It is totally possible to have two Vegetas with the same sprite sheet and name with totally different AI guts under the hood installed, all the game cares about it a character ID number and it fills in the rest from there. I don't think there are any complete duplicates in Salty's set, but without paying the premium fee to get access to the W/L records I can't say that for certain.

Most of these characters were "developed" by teenagers of various nationalities over the last fifteen years and there is no standard of balance in that regard - just make dudes and beat the crap out of each other. Most Mugen characters have no appreciable AI scripting, and the ones that have good AI rule the field in this environment until they run into one of the brick walls.

The MS paint characters generally exist in a bit of a different realm. Omega Tiger Woods/Tom Hanks were created as scripting experiments of sorts; they have really sick tools and know how to use them to zone and pound their opponents. They are only "fair" because they have very low life values. This isn't true of all MS paints - some of them are just as unscripted as our moronic DBZ bros. There is a much higher chance that an MS Paint character has a higher "care factor" put into it because they are much more of a labor of love, when compared to the effort it takes to pull a spritesheet off of somebody's Geocities site or spending an hour screenshotting an emulator because, say, your junior high best friend wants to play as Altered Beast.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Over a million on Yamazaki :ohdear:

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

All in on DBZ, oh god oh god oh god

Your saltbux about to get touhouwned.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Gils posted:

Melty Blood was an anime fighting game. Always bet on anime.
Or never bet on anime, gently caress I don't know.

Never bet on everything is the amalgamated wisdom of this thread and my experience.

The much more important lesson is to get the hell out of twitch chat.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Giant chicken.

cest ne pas une jeu vidéo.

I still went all in on him.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Gils posted:

Who is Hory Marlu and why does she summon a gundam

Apparently she's an original.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Don't gently caress me over, MS PAINT.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Incoming Touhou vs the shittiest joker.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

I've been up way too long, which is why this is funny, but I am losing it over Last Adult Goku coupled with the FF5 fight music.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Not Eek posted:

I must be tired too. I can't stop laughing at your av.

She just kept punching.

Dude 40 straight seconds of punching a turtle in his dick.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Broly has his poo poo together.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

JAAAACK FUUUUUCK YEEEEEES

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

SS4 Raditz power es maximum

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

I require this Castlevania song.

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPfsbGR1Foo.

Also, LATIN KINGZ

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Somebody get this to Salty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGUp3R5WK-o

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Barudak posted:

Crazy popular as I'm seeing. This lady is out Gokuing Goku

Outside of Broly and one of the Future Trunks all the DBZ crew has had catastrophic brain injuries.

Edit: is this the not-poo poo trunks?

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Link is a totally sweet character though. He looks like he would be a blast to actually play and if you arn't up against retard-strength DBZ dudes then he might have a chance.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Rayjenkins posted:

Always bet on DBZ. Also, never bet on DBZ, unless it's Kamiccolo, ssj5 Goku or SSJ 4 radish.

Super 13 is pretty gross. Shitloads of life and he 3 shots dudes that arn't other DBZ mongos. He doesn't charge so he actually attacks but he loves to float in the air like a total tardhammer most of the time.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Don't always bet on MSpaint. :cthulhu:

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Where spongebob is hero of the proletariat

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

YOU :colbert: FOOL

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Office Thug posted:

Never bet on Guilty Gear characters. Their AI is the basic one, which makes them super passive and non-aggressive.

There are a couple of Ky's and at least one is an upset machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

All in on DBZ!

• Locked thread