Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
TV Shows usually can't work with jump scares or constant stressful tension, so American Horror Story is less homage to cinematic scares and more homage to horror style and cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thanks guys, will try to get them to watch Season 1 first and see how that go along with them. If they're still up for it, I'll try recommending Season 2, although one of them absolutely hates gore/torture stuff without qualification and I don't know how she'd react to the Nazi experiments and the Bloody Face basement scenes.

Maybe I'll show them The Name Game?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Thanks guys, will try to get them to watch Season 1 first and see how that go along with them. If they're still up for it, I'll try recommending Season 2, although one of them absolutely hates gore/torture stuff without qualification and I don't know how she'd react to the Nazi experiments and the Bloody Face basement scenes.

Maybe I'll show them The Name Game?

Don't show em a later episode first.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've watched both Season 1 and 2 in its entirety, and didn't find them scary (likely because I have been too desensitized by all the horror movies) but very entertaining because of how all the dramas escalate to ridiculous heights. I have a couple of friends I want to introduce it to, but they don't enjoy being scared. Would any of you see the shows as frightening at all?

Do they have kids? Some of my friends who are parents found season one hard to watch.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 4, 2013

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Yeah, I've always viewed Season 1 more like a family drama that happens to be focused in elements of horror, rather than a straight up, scary as poo poo television show intended to freak you out.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I've always taken American Horror Story's title somewhat literally-- in that doesn't seem to be going for scary so much as simply horrifying. A lot the themes and images it deals in aren't played with jump scares and extreme tension, just their natural state of being disturbing and terrible-- and, often, something that actually happened/s in the real world. Tate being a school shooter (and the highly Columbine-reminiscent scene we get from it), Lana's conversion therapy, general conditions inside Briarcliff, etc.

I think it's still meant to freak you out, not because "Oh poo poo, that guy just came out of nowhere and his face is messed up!", but because "drat, this is really horrible. This is based on something that actually happened, isn't it? poo poo."

Of course, they do still do the tension-and-jumps/straight horror thing once in a while.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
So, I've only ever even heard of this when adverts for season 2 started popping up. I watched it and loved it in its entirety... But do fans consider Season 1 a waste of time to (re)watch? Or is it a must-see? .... Or just the pilot and the finale? What's gonna draw me in as an established fan of S2?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paradox Personified posted:

So, I've only ever even heard of this when adverts for season 2 started popping up. I watched it and loved it in its entirety... But do fans consider Season 1 a waste of time to (re)watch? Or is it a must-see? .... Or just the pilot and the finale? What's gonna draw me in as an established fan of S2?

It's completely different in story. I think it's a must see. It's really good. But if you're rewatching it within a year's time or two, you might find it boring because you know everything already.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Paradox Personified posted:

What's gonna draw me in as an established fan of S2?

You know how S2 was a huge mash-up of horror tropes, urban legends, paranormal stories, and real-life events? S1 is the same thing, but different. :v:

Seriously, if you liked S2 you'll likely enjoy S1 as well. The fact that it's set in a modern-day (haunted) house makes it slightly easier to relate to, I think; it's obviously more "domestic" in tone, and is probably more sedate when compared to S2 (but then, what isn't). There's still plenty of crazy stuff going on in S1, it's just not as jam-packed with :wth:-type stuff as S2 was.

Plus, I think Ryan Murphy was really just testing the waters with S1, seeing what he could do and what he could get away with. So if the progression from S1 to S2 is any indication, S3 is gonna be a doozy. :dance:

uptown
May 16, 2009
I really liked S1. It's got a lot of family drama, some tense/scary bits, some really sad parts, and some funny parts. So, exactly this vvv

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You know how S2 was a huge mash-up of horror tropes, urban legends, paranormal stories, and real-life events? S1 is the same thing, but different. :v:

I can't wait til the premiere of Coven! That Jessica Lange-shaped hole in my heart needs filling, and with Kathy Bates joining the cast, I may implode of happiness.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
The first episode of season one has a main character crying and masturbating at the same time while looking out a window buck rear end naked, so there's that.

*It may not have been the first episode, maybe the second?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Coconut Indian posted:

The first episode of season one has a main character crying and masturbating at the same time while looking out a window buck rear end naked, so there's that.

It's like they held up a mirror into my life. :allears:

How did they know???

uptown
May 16, 2009

Coconut Indian posted:

The first episode of season one has a main character crying and masturbating at the same time crysturbating while looking out a window buck rear end naked, so there's that.

*It may not have been the first episode, maybe the second?

ftfy

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I just finished watching Season 1 for the first time. I was a bit confused, I thought the "horror" part was going to be jump scares and scary monsters and crap, but NOPE EXISTENTIAL HORROR OH GOD :gonk:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

Asylum was my first AHS experience and it did a masterful job of sucking me in. All these stories coexisting at once, all the intrigue and mystery between what the aliens wanted, who Bloodyface was, etc., and the general atmosphere of this terrible institution really ramped up my excitement to see the show every week.

But the last few episodes or so really shut everything down in favor of a couple of narratives, and in a really sudden and uncreative way. Pretty much everything they built up during the series got waved away and suddenly the show was predictable and actually kind of disappointing. It really, honestly came off like they presented all these questions to get you hooked, and then couldn't figure out how to give satisfying answers for most of them. I guess it was bound to happen when you cram in serial killers, aliens, the devil, mutants, nazis, and everything else into a 13 episode show, and do so while you're writing and filming it.

So basically I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen this time, and that the centralized idea of a war of witches will make for a more focused narrative. The time skipping is still a powerful device and I'm looking forward to seeing just what they can do.

I know. I appreciate what they tried to do but you do not setup Nazis (with zombies) vs Aliens vs Satan and then not pay that off. You just don't.

Again, they did try something cool but Goddamn it, is there anyone here who didn't want to see the devil and aliens get into it for at least a minute? Hell, I'd loved to hear more of the devil's take on aliens!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know. I appreciate what they tried to do but you do not setup Nazis (with zombies) vs Aliens vs Satan and then not pay that off. You just don't.

Again, they did try something cool but Goddamn it, is there anyone here who didn't want to see the devil and aliens get into it for at least a minute? Hell, I'd loved to hear more of the devil's take on aliens!

That was honestly the thing I was most hoping for. I wanted some devil on alien action damnit! That said, I did kind of like how it turned out.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I pretty much just kept watching Season 2 for Jessica Lange, honestly, so it was all good to me.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Really awesome interview with Kathy Bates about the show: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/kathy-bates-brings-hell-to-american-horror-story-20131008

She already wants to come back for 4! Make it so, Murphy...

Parachute
May 18, 2003
The amount of talent in the revolving stable of actors used for this show is pretty much unmatched. Speaking of, the ball gets rolling tonight!

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
Son of a bitch! I just went onto iTunes to purchase this season and they do not have it.

Does anyone know if they show all of the episodes on the network website?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grin and Tonic posted:

I pretty much just kept watching Season 2 for Jessica Lange, honestly, so it was all good to me.

I kept watching because I cared about pretty much all of the characters and how they would turn out. The actual plot kind of lost me three-quarters of the way through once it became clear that the aliens and mutants were more of a subplot. Like everybody else I was hoping for everything to come to a head all at the same time and explode in one ridiculous clusterfuck.

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

I've seen a lot of people discredit s2 because of the ending but I really don't understand why? Does the alien plotline really bother people that much? To me it seemed evident that particular arc wasn't relevant to the story.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

rare bird posted:

To me it seemed evident that particular arc wasn't relevant to the story.

That's why people didn't like it. There was already a ton of crazy poo poo going on and the alien stuff seemed superfluous.

I wouldn't tell people the entire season was a waste, though.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Which questions remain unanswered from Asylum?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Oh my god I'm halfway through Season 1 and the dynamic is just as scattershot yet coherent as I thought it'd be. SAVE THE BABY
I love Tate, along with the references to both Twisted Nerve (more than once!:neckbeard:) and Rick Genest ... Oddly enough, he got a settlement for their using his facial ink in the show. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/10/prweb10043122.htm

“Rick Genest has become a unique international brand,” says Colin Singer, Managing Partner of RickGenest.com Entertainment Inc. “The commercial interest in his persona continues to grow and we take the unauthorized use of his artistic imagery seriously.”

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Holy poo poo it starts tonight?? I'm so glad I caught up on this thread on a whim. I can't wait for batshit fun with witches.

edit-- Should this thread be stickied?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 9, 2013

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Parachute posted:

Which questions remain unanswered from Asylum?

I guess the main one was what the aliens wanted and why Kit was so important to them. You can argue that they're aliens and their intentions aren't really supposed to be well known, but considering their actions really spurred a lot of the events in the season, it was fairly disappointing that all we really ever saw of them again was a last minute feelgood implication that they took the sickly Kit to live forever in harmony.

Granted Murphy came out and said they got overwhelmed with all that was happening and that's why the alien storyline took a backseat, but it wasn't just them though, it was the way they waved away almost all the major characters and plot points we grew so attached to. The Devil, possessing Mary Eunice and terrorizing the entire Asylum, gets tossed over a banister and dies along with her. Dr. Arden, the main antagonist concerned with sadistically torturing the patients and Jude, kills all the Raspers out of depression and kills himself in the cremation furnace. The Monsignor, revealed to be a true villain in the latter half due to his aspirations, is given a one liner about how he committed suicide out of guilt. And Alma, whose entire disappearance caused this chain of events in one way or another, gets sent to prison for killing Grace and we get a one liner about how she died there.

They answered all those questions, but with a period instead of an exclamation point. They all went out with a whimper, as opposed to a bang. Some would argue even Lana's story ended on a low note, the way she lures in Thredson Jr. with the very same tactic that worked on Thredson himself. I guess they never promised a war, but you don't usually line up the troops just for a negotiation, y'know?

Sorry, I don't mean to keep harping on how Asylum ended, it just bummed me out. Not enough to keep me from watching Coven of course, and I really think this season will be more focused given the witch theme and the school and the idea of witchcrat/voodoo causing certain things to go into motion. Personally, I hope we get a decent voodoo doll scene, since I can't remember the last time that's really been explored in a terrifying (and less hokey,) manner. Maybe an old episode of "Fact or Fiction?" on FOX.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 9, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I didn't really notice how things ended, regarding whether they were poor or not. I certainly was very satisfied with season 2.

Some things don't need to be explained beyond the fact that 'they exist'. And that's totally okay so long as they were presented well. It's just a weird world and hosed up people.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

No stickie for the premiere?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've been traveling and really busy, but I'll send a PM now.

Tonight on American Horror Story: "Bitchcraft"

A young girl discovers she has a strange genetic affliction.

Remember that since the name of the show has been changed, your leftover season pass from Asylum will not record. You have to create a new one for Coven.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Jamie Brewer's back for Coven? Awesome.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
So FX makes a new network then puts the two shows they run that I want to watch against each other, nice.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I think this is going to be a hugely watched premiere. Like, it's insane how many people are excited for this.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm new to the show and I'm only watching because my Facebook feed is freaking out. Glad to know I don't have to "catch up" or anything. Here we go!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The first Paranormal Activity? Man, what a lovely lead in to AHS. Could've at least shown the 2nd one!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeez, Kathy Bates can look loving terrifying :stonk:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Perhaps my talent is in the boudoir :wink:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Holy poo poo this is freaky.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

OH poo poo he has no eyes! :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Oh poo poo I know who she's playing ( this is a real person btw I am from New Orleans).

• Locked thread