Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=coven

Anyway, I have high hopes for this season. I had heard speculation about Delphine LaLaurie being the subject of this season but that sounds too much like themes they've already explored. A voodoo priestess versus a centuries-old coven sounds so much more promising. Jessica Lange is going to be electrifying, I just know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Stabitha posted:

Here's the opening titles for Coven if anyone wants to see it before the show airs. It's beautifully creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmRXT7w2C1s

I should not have watched that late at night when the entire house is asleep :ohdear:

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Blazing Ownager posted:

EDIT: I just skimmed the thread and am actually shocked that not every goon posting was calling them out on taking so much from X-Men of all things. I mean certain elements you could argue are universal, but you have to admit, that's really Goddamn close.

I don't watch/read x-men so it just played out like the ultimate revenge gently caress to me.

If there's anything I've learned from two prior seasons to this show it's that whatever seems to be the theme of the show in the first episode is nothing like the directions the show takes.

I did not expect them to dig up old school evil Madame LaLaurie. I knew the character was going to be in the show but I thought it would be flashbacks or ghosts. This is so much better and I'm happy to let them take the show in directions I'm not even imagining at this point. As long as it's not aliens.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Whenever this show seems derivative I think the thing to remember is that it's American Horror Story as in urban legends, tropes, stories that come up again and again in the American psyche. Definitely in the past seasons this has been a direct link. Were people complaining that the school shooting in season one was too much like Columbine? Or a serial killer who makes lamps out of skin is too much like Ed Gein? Same idea for this season.

The Exposition Meal was almost a parody, it was so heavy with the "oh yeah well look what I can do" crap. The one good guy frat brother is something I've seen in a movie somewhere - again, cliched. Since it's the first episode, it's laying the groundwork and in the past they have taken the cliches and done something interesting with them, like Chloe Sevigny being put in an asylum for being a nymphomaniac only to have her carved up limbless when a crazy doctor wasn't susceptible to her sexual favors.

I'm expecting scenes drawing from voodoo paranoia movies like Angel Heart or Skeleton Key because it's set in NOLA.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Doltos posted:

I like this season so far but I'm afraid that they're falling into all the old tropes of the first two seasons.

There's always a lunatic roided up zombie thing running around. They have the same star crossed lovers again with the same guy being the dead one. And I like Jessica Lange, but all three of her characters act identical to one another.

I dunno, I liked AHS initially because it was innovative to me, but now it looks like they're just gonna go ahead and copy the same formula over and over with slightly different alterations.

Because it's a play off of American horror tropes and I agree with the others that Jessica Lange isn't doing the same character over and over at all. Sister Jude was battling guilt and repressed sexuality - oh, it doesn't even matter. Your ridiculous opinion makes me cranky so I'm just going to say don't use spoiler tags to compare seasons. It's dumb and makes people think you have knowledge of future episodes when you don't.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Random Stranger posted:

In America witches were hung. It's in Europe where witches and heretics were burned. :eng101:

This is something the show got right, BTW. There was a line about the hangings in Salem earlier in the series.

The creepiest part in the credits for me is the feet in the background (sort of a historical looking drawing) that look static but then twitch. And later in the credits it pulls back so you can see it's the feet of some hung witches. But that is so eerie.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I'm really noticing how un-scary this season is and it's disappointing. There's just no tension. I will watch it play out, sure, but considering how the first two seasons had so much more tension it's baffling.

They had better be going somewhere drat amazing with the neighbor because so far there hasn't been any point to that storyline at all except to make us grimace at mom enemas.

On the other hand, Delphine head in a jar is going to be great. They should go full-on voice with her instead of being realistic that she doesn't have lungs and just let her sass her way to the end.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
It doesn't help that the storylines that started the season went nowhere, like Cordelia being so desperate for a baby she had scary snake sex and bottled up her husband's semen and took it to LaVeau. Then we learn her husband is cheating on her, then a witch hunter, and now she knows there's something off about him and there's no mention again of how much she wanted her own child.

The slave who gets turned into a minotaur (not that we know how that happened) was pretty scary but other than knowing Queenie survived it, that just ended it. I thought LaVeau might have other frankensteined creatures but I guess it was just the one and oh well.

Early on Zoe and Madison perform a rite/spell of resurrection but hasn't that been completely dropped in favor of magical powers with a wave of a hand? I'm just puzzled why the writers are so disjointed on these things. It's like someone wrote the first three episodes and someone else took over. There's an over-arching theme about motherhood but even that is like "huh, another mother and child relationship."

There is more uncertainty and tension going on in Treme after one episode than we've seen all season in AHS.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Season one had some campy moments too (crysturbation, the ghosts piling up in the house culminating in decorating the tree for Christmas), but it still managed to be tense and unpredictable. They dialed back the dark themes from Asylum but they went way too far.

Now that Evan Peters can play cards maybe he'll actually get more than a few sputtered words and grunts for lines.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I would say it's not a theme about womanhood so much as it is a theme about mothers and (apparently) how horrible they all are. But only in the sense of, hey here's another woman on AHS who is lovely to her child. It's not really developed or explored.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

foxatee posted:

Yeah, it's because of flooding. Also, I think maybe people are getting the cremation idea from Luke, who was cremated by his mom.

Also, gently caress Madison! You stupid, spoiled child!

More specifically, because NOLA is below sea level and if you dig a grave you just get watery muck. The cemeteries look like this:

The line that made me laugh this time was "She is an innocent...mostly" (paraphrased).

I will miss Nan and I wanted her to be the one who kicked everyone's rear end. The actress had a way of speaking her lines that I found compelling.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Did Frankentate die and I just missed it somehow?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
For a show set in modern day New Orleans, they've absolutely failed to make anything of it. Even the cemetery scenes from the past couple of episodes were in broad daylight and completely unspooky. I thought going in the voodoo stuff would involve the cemeteries at night because to this day people trek to Laveau's grave and leave trinkets and ask for favors. And you wouldn't go there at night - unless you were up to something unworldly because you're a voodoo priestess or, you know, a powerful witch.

There are some seriously hinky, creepy atmostpheric places they could used. Instead they have kept the bulk of the story inside an unscary rich person's mansion in the Garden District. Whoopee.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Queenie is the only one who has traveled to the underworld and returned, right? Since Madison said there was nothing after you die, whereas Queenie went to the chicken shack and bargained with Papa Legba.

From the preview it looks like there's going to be a heavy dose of love triangle yet again with Frankentate. Hopefully that's over quick. Man, I just cannot get into this season.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Cordelia's injured eyes were so hard to look at that when she appeared as a healed person at the end I felt like I was staring at the most beautiful woman in the world.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
All in all I am really mad at the happy ending of witches coming out and lots of young, nubile 18-year-old girls showing up on their doorstep so that Cordelia finally gets her self-esteem and more children then she could ever want - so happy! Nobody wanted that ending.

I think the best ending after that mess of a season would have been realizing none of them were the Supreme and that the coven was doomed. Maybe the Supremes of the past could be the ones stabbing and torturing them for all eternity for being such stupid fuckups.

What happened to Tate and Spaulding? I remember Spaulding saying he was the help, then it cut to commercial, and who knows, maybe I dozed off.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I remember defending this season a couple of episodes in, and I was trying to remember what I found redeeming about it. Looking at my post history in this thread I can see that defending it lasted for all of two episodes. Goddammit.

I appreciate that Asylum cranked up the craziness, but I think Murder House had more going for it as an irreverent collection of horror tropes. I liked the format that had a long story overall but each week explained another murder that had taken place in the house. They kind of lost it by the end, but it had some really memorable moments: (spoilered because I know some people in this thread haven't seen it and it's worth watching) seeing Tate's murder spree (Jesus that was downright terrifying), the rubber man, the frankenbaby, the psychiatrist not realizing he was trying to treat ghosts,Violet's end, and the ongoing mindfuck of Frances Conroy/Alexandra Breckenridge). Also, it sounds dumb but they had an online site for the show that had hints and other mysteries of the house that was amusing.

I think the worst part is how they completely misused such a great setting. Marie Laveau is a figure in modern New Orleans - sure, it's kind of touristy legends territory but people actually make pilgrimages to her grave to this day. I can't believe they completely ignored that and just went with "how would a black woman survive all these years? lol weaves". Now that I think about it if the writers had just taken a Spooky Nawlins walking tour we would have had a much better show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

xeria posted:

I don't think it had much of a point beyond establishing Hank as a character in Cordelia's life before sending him off to kill witches. If that, anyway.
Because

• Locked thread