Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

He was the guy who stepped in when Hunter got pissy with Bobby Weir? To have lyricists of both those guys' caliber says a mouthful. Helluva note.

Touch of Grey.

edit- oh poo poo that was Hunter and Jerry (60s deadhead joke here)

Noise Machine posted:

Estimated Prophet

Yes.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Estimated Prophet

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Cassidy imo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Greatest story ever told/ picssso moon TIE

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

96 Port Hub posted:

Cassidy imo.

This

BigFactory posted:

Greatest story ever told/ picssso moon TIE

I can't tell if this is an elaborate troll or not, but also, I will accept this sincerely.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Do people not like Greatest Story Ever Told? I feel so out of step with Dead heads sometimes. I love that song

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blast Fantasto posted:

Do people not like Greatest Story Ever Told? I feel so out of step with Dead heads sometimes. I love that song

Its a running joke about not liking Bob Weir itt.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm right back into the Dead again. I think I was inspired by seeing Bird Song-> New Speedway Boogie-> Bird Song on a recent Dead & Co. setlist.

Nearly finished with December, and then I will have listened to every show from 1972. What a ride that's been.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

I'm right back into the Dead again. I think I was inspired by seeing Bird Song-> New Speedway Boogie-> Bird Song on a recent Dead & Co. setlist.

Nearly finished with December, and then I will have listened to every show from 1972. What a ride that's been.

Then you can start posting about 73! gently caress I love 73 and would love to read your thoughts.

Any solid unknowns from late 72 that I should check out?

Listening to a whole year of the grateful dead is kinda a weird experience, I did it with pretty much all of 1982 and I was really into the intricacies of the year and the differences between periods and the good shows and bad shows (Which probably don't happen in 72) and the combinations of songs that arise and then new ones that come later. 1982, for example, they didn't really know where to put Franklin's Tower they kinda, dropped a lot of technical material like Help -> Slipknot so some of the year it's like second in show in a Missisippi Half Step -> Franklin's combo, other times it just fits into the second set.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

algebra testes posted:

Then you can start posting about 73! gently caress I love 73 and would love to read your thoughts.

Any solid unknowns from late 72 that I should check out?

I'm excited to dive into 73. April 2 is the only full show I've heard from the first half of the year.

You could try December 11, it's a really nice show. There are some bad soundboard cuts on the best tracks, but they're worth hearing anyway, especially Playing, Mississippi Half-Step, Dark Star-> Stella Blue, and Tomorrow Is Forever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to this thread I started back on my bullshit, after doing 1982 now i'm going through 83.

First show me: "Man, this is some dope poo poo great jamming"

Online reviews: "Terrible show, band out of sync, what were they doing?"

Oh maybe I haven't listened to the Dead in so long everything just sounds great!

edit: don't mind me over here, I'm just freaking out to this probably terrible Stella Blue but I'm feeling it anyway.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 5, 2018

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

trey sat in with bob and phil, started acoustic and then plugged in i haven't listened to it all but the playin is fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTt7QzIu2XU&t=65s

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

algebra testes posted:

Thanks to this thread I started back on my bullshit, after doing 1982 now i'm going through 83.

First show me: "Man, this is some dope poo poo great jamming"

Online reviews: "Terrible show, band out of sync, what were they doing?"

Oh maybe I haven't listened to the Dead in so long everything just sounds great!

edit: don't mind me over here, I'm just freaking out to this probably terrible Stella Blue but I'm feeling it anyway.

What are some of the best 82 shows? I don't recall you ever posting the highlights of your trip.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, he's gone and nothin's gonna bring him back, he's gone

Pour one out for ol' Pigpen. The bus came by and he got on 46 years ago today.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

96 Port Hub posted:

Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, he's gone and nothin's gonna bring him back, he's gone

Pour one out for ol' Pigpen. The bus came by and he got on 46 years ago today.

Pouring one, but into a glass, 'cuz I don't think Pig would want me to waste perfectly good whiskey.

Tivoli sounds like a good idea. Lots of nice Pig footage in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt67BUeQ1-Q

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

What are some of the best 82 shows? I don't recall you ever posting the highlights of your trip.

I have thoughts on this, and I'm making sure not to lose it as I write them up. Alas it's been so long I need to refresh my memory, hence the delay.

Tom Yum
May 6, 2013
I have a confession: despite the Dead being one of my all-time favorite bands, I've never really known what to do with pre-1970 shows. I tend to listen mostly to 70's Dead, but I enjoy some late 80's and 90's shows as well. But for some reason the late 60's stuff is really hard for me to get into. It's like an unusual wine that I haven't yet acquired a taste for.

A lot of their late 60's stuff I've heard has been interesting in a step-back-in-time kind of way, because it really does feel like walking into a weird, grungy hippie shop in 1969. It definitely has an interesting vibe, but I usually have a hard time actually enjoying it. There are some exceptions -- Dark Stars from this era are fun, and this is definitely the peak era of St. Stephen. But for me, it's hard not to listen to it and want to put on Veneta or Englishtown instead.

I think the sound of the recordings is a big thing for me. The actual playing is still mostly great, but I have a hard time getting over how it all sounds like it was recorded in a cardboard box. Part of what I love about the Dead is their ability to swallow you whole with the worlds they create, and the 60's era doesn't immerse me the way others do.

Live Dead is definitely good, but it's about the only thing from this era that I listen to, and even then it's rarely what I reach for. If you enjoy this era of the Dead (and I know a lot of people do), what is it that does it for you?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Viola Lee Blues when the whole band plays that lick for like 5 minutes and it seems like the cd is skipping.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are some good songs from that era like Viola Lee and cream puff war, but on the whole they kinda sucked back then

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

There are some good songs from that era like Viola Lee and cream puff war, but on the whole they kinda sucked back then

It feels like they only have one speed.Or one emotion really. And if you're into distorted blues jamming then I guess it's pretty wild. I don't hate it but yeah, I don't spend much time on it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tom Yum posted:

I have a confession: despite the Dead being one of my all-time favorite bands, I've never really known what to do with pre-1970 shows. I tend to listen mostly to 70's Dead, but I enjoy some late 80's and 90's shows as well. But for some reason the late 60's stuff is really hard for me to get into. It's like an unusual wine that I haven't yet acquired a taste for.

A lot of their late 60's stuff I've heard has been interesting in a step-back-in-time kind of way, because it really does feel like walking into a weird, grungy hippie shop in 1969. It definitely has an interesting vibe, but I usually have a hard time actually enjoying it. There are some exceptions -- Dark Stars from this era are fun, and this is definitely the peak era of St. Stephen. But for me, it's hard not to listen to it and want to put on Veneta or Englishtown instead.

I think the sound of the recordings is a big thing for me. The actual playing is still mostly great, but I have a hard time getting over how it all sounds like it was recorded in a cardboard box. Part of what I love about the Dead is their ability to swallow you whole with the worlds they create, and the 60's era doesn't immerse me the way others do.

Live Dead is definitely good, but it's about the only thing from this era that I listen to, and even then it's rarely what I reach for. If you enjoy this era of the Dead (and I know a lot of people do), what is it that does it for you?

This was their true sound at first, acidy, unpolished, often tediously noodly. As they changed from that to a more outlaw sound of Live Dead, then the ultra mellow tone of American Beauty their technique could only improve.
But to a lot of folks that pure acid vibe of Aoxomoxoa and Anthem of the Sun was the Dead doing what no one else could do, going where no one else could go.
And when their style changed with albums like Mars Hotel and whatever came after a lot of fans, myself included; a lot of critics said "Eh they've lost their way, it was a nice ride," and quit paying attention for the next few decades.
I mean, gently caress, the Dead with a disco beat?
I didn't consider maybe they were lolling at disco and at all of us self-appointed original fans partly just to keep their own sanity. Because what they did for as long as they did was flat out insane.

edit- reading this back, it sounds so loving lame and gratuitous like their fan writers I hate with a passion, but hahaha, I'll leave it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
60s stuff had way too much pigpen.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

60s stuff had way too much pigpen.

I have finally found proof that objectively terrible opinions exist

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pigpen blows.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Pigpen blows.

The blues harp really well

Is what you are missing from that sentence.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Pigpen blows.

I would be angry, but you have missed so many cool moments in your life that I just pity you.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

BigFactory posted:

Pigpen blows.

Is this Opposite Day? Pigpen rules on songs like Turn on Your Love Light, Alligator and Mr. Charlie

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXjaV8Xbo4

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Is this Opposite Day? Pigpen rules on songs like Turn on Your Love Light, Alligator and Mr. Charlie

You mean all those horrible songs that drag on forever and ruin those early dead shows?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BigFactory posted:

You mean all those horrible songs that drag on forever and ruin those early dead shows?

Easy to kick a guy when he's dead for something all of them collaborated in.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Vince welnick was better.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I have finally found proof that objectively terrible opinions exist

But to be fair, there is an equally wrong demographic who claim to not like any Dead songs that aren't Pig songs.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

nod 2 jer

new book out about the years after jer's death,[url] https://www.amazon.com/Fare-Thee-Well-Chapter-Grateful-ebook/dp/B0763LQ7PT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529761551&sr=8-2&keywords=fare+thee+well[/url]

sounds like phil and jill are trash

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I heard the author had personal beef with phil which is why hes slandered so much in the book

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

I heard the author had personal beef with phil which is why hes slandered so much in the book

Well, this is the guy who was slamming Heinekens on stage every night with his brand new liver and begging everyone in the crowd to donate their organs. He’s kind of a piece of poo poo

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

i love reading rock band dirty laundry

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Saw Dead and Co last night in SD, great show! I've never listened to them much but my gf was dying to catch this tour, we had recently secured some quality :catdrugs:, and the experience didn't disappoint. Great people watching too, it was a trip seeing some really crusty old Deadheads shuffling around with shirts and hats that looked 30+ years old. John Mayer can really wail, and he makes the goofiest faces while he does it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I caught Autzen after buying tickets for back of the stadium GA on a whim for me and my newbie roommate a month ago (I'm a lifelong 60s and 70s fan, never really got into the 80s and 90s stuff past Dick's Picks and The Dead / Furthur / DSO once in a while).

It was incredible. I couldn't have asked for a better second set, and the energy in the crowd was amazing. The 80s stuff totally makes sense now (even w/ the set we got, just listening to the rest of the tour). I'm sold on Mayer which I kinda didn't think was gonna happen. & Oteil and Jeff as well but I had a lot less skepticism coming in.

"If this ain't the real thing, it's close enough to pretend"

What's everyone's favorite Sailor > Saint?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Caught Hartford this tour, was my friends bachelor party. We ended up bringing a groomsmen's dad who is a head and was a little sad he hadn't caught a show yet. First set was real mellow and bluesy and was a nice way to ease in (and they even ended the first set with "Don't Ease).

My friends dad was lukewarm on it, thought it wasn't too exciting. I told him to wait for the second set, and then they came out of the gate STRONG with Stranger, and them melted my face off with a Viola Lee Blues sandwich that had a China Rider middle. My friends dad enjoyed the second set waaaay more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone into Jerry Band?

Trying to get into it but idk where to start. I like a lot of the 80s covers I've heard (what piqued my curiosity) and I like Keith and Donna dead a lot so I'm curious about the 70s period.

Other than that its more varied than the Dead right? What are the kind of different eras? Hows the official released stuff, is there a Dicks Picks type thing to start me off?