Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

I've instead skipped ahead in the year. I'm going to write a little about what was left in 72 for the band, but it's wild that even if you skip ahead a little to July (which is only really like 3 shows removed from the end of the Europe tour), they're already starting to sound like a different band. Losing Pigpen meant Keith stepped up more and they're about to start bringing in songs from 'Wake of The Flood'. Obviously things hit a high point with the Veneta show, but September 72 is one for the ages as well.

By the time they debut 'Eyes Of The World' in their first show of 73 they feel fundamentally different.

The September shows are rightfully considered a peak, but I absolutely love the November run too. I do really love the post Pigpen 72 era in general, massive PITB/TOO/DS/Truckin' versions, many great Bird Song and Cumberland Blues spots in the first sets of shows, lotsa good Stella Blues, and the early Mississippi Half-Step and Weather Report Suite Intro versions really point the way to 73's setlists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

trem_two posted:

The September shows are rightfully considered a peak, but I absolutely love the November run too. I do really love the post Pigpen 72 era in general, massive PITB/TOO/DS/Truckin' versions, many great Bird Song and Cumberland Blues spots in the first sets of shows, lotsa good Stella Blues, and the early Mississippi Half-Step and Weather Report Suite Intro versions really point the way to 73's setlists.

Man, those 4-part harmonies on the early 'Mississippi Half-step's are gorgeous as well. No wonder they couldn't wait to get out there and perform new stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah adding the new songs and some of the songs off Garcia they weren’t playing in Europe makes a huge difference.

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
Sorry if this has been asked but I have heard from several people that Darkstar live is otherworldly. I'm slowly dipping my feet into the massive amount of live content that the Dead have released. Where can I find what you lot consider the definitive live version of Darkstar?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
2/13-14 1970 is a strong one, IIRC

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Sorry if this has been asked but I have heard from several people that Darkstar live is otherworldly. I'm slowly dipping my feet into the massive amount of live content that the Dead have released. Where can I find what you lot consider the definitive live version of Darkstar?

8/27/72

I do want to mention that this is also kinda a game that can't be won. One person's favorite Dark Star is one person's least favorite. Definitely take as many recommendations you can get, but it's more of a launching point for improvisation than a straight ahead song/composition.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Can't go wrong with the version from Live/Dead, 2/27/69

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
great Dark Star versions I have listened to in the past week:

Sept 19, 1970 (if I had to choose my favorite of all time right now it's probably this one, I've listened to it so many times since I first listened to it last week lol)
December 18, 1973
February 18, 1971
November 19, 1972

there's always more!

I also have a lot of affection for the Veneta 72 and Winterland 74 versions, not only are they incredible on their own musical merits, it's also rad that there are high quality videos of the performances easily available.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Can't go wrong with the version from Live/Dead, 2/27/69

Yeah this is a good one.

12-31-81 Oakland is a cool one too. Brent’s first darkstar and it’s got a little yacht rock sleaze going on. Also it’s a tight 15 minutes.

I just listened to 9-21-72 and out of 37 minutes maybe 15 were interesting. Pretty good show overall though.

After listening to all these 72 shows I thought I would be burned out on Not Fade Away, but then I remembered all those 99 Phil and Friends/Dylan shows I went to where they both closed with NFA. That was exhausting

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

lmfao

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01h-9W0wQXw

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
:chanpop:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Did they finally give Donna a monitor after the hiatus or something because I feel like she's so much better in the late 70s. Also feels like her tone became somewhat warmer, or fuller? Maybe it's just the way it was recorded on the specific shows I've heard.

Also Looks Like Rain is godawful. I'm not a huge fan of many of Jerry's slower songs/ballads either to be fair but this one is on a whole other level. How do you put that on the same album as Playing in the Band and Cassidy.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I always just assumed Donna slowed down her lifestyle after the hiatus because she had a kid. Although, there are some 78 shows where she is pretty off the rails vocally, some of the vocals on 1978 versions of Deal are bonkers (all the guys sound insane too tbf).

No argument on Looks alike Rain for the most part. The versions early on the 72 Europe tour are rad because of Jerry’s pedal steel playing. By the late 70s it’s a slog every time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are 20 Bobby songs I’d skip before LLRain. It’s not that bad.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
When I saw D&C at Saratoga Springs in 2017 they played Looks Like Rain during the first set and we got a quick rain shower while they were playing it on an otherwise nice sunny day. That was pretty cool.

Also, "Street cats making love" has always stood out to me as a very weird lyric

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I can't have this LLR slander.

As for Donna yeah I think early on she's plagued by monitor 'issues', aka sabotage from a crew that was already hostile to outsiders and she had the temerity to be a woman. Some of it is just down to her of course. Post hiatus I don't know if there's any real issues with her performance and the recording/mixing probably made her sound warmer. It's also the way she's integrated into the songs. Early on was a lot more awkward and they seemed to use her for filling space before they knew what to do with her but I think it's a shame they didn't bring a woman's voice in again after that because it really helps with their sound.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I did wonder why the band didn't just give her a monitor but it never occured to me that it could be deliberate sabotage from the crew. I guess I underestimate the power and influence the crew could have, and the amount of backstage politics / machinations that were going on. It tracks with the stories about Healy messing with Bob's* guitar in the 80s, didn't it take the band years to find out about that?

Speaking of, I asked earlier about the drummers going nuts in the 80s but Bob's guitar tone is another thing dragging down their sound in those years I think. I don't know when he made the switch but his tone on that Modulus guitar sounds awfully thin and metallic. It's disappointing cause I really like his playing (tbh during Jerry's solos I sometimes prefer focusing on the rest of the band). Listening to him play the opening lick to Sugar Magnolia in the 70s vs the 90s or something is just a bummer.

I'm listening to 11/17/72 at the moment (Dave's Picks 11). It's good but the mix kinda buries Keith.

* I'm not a big enough fan and/or confident enough yet to call him Bobby.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 9, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I’m listening to todays show from 73 and I really liked the Looks Like Rain :tipshat:

The ones that I suffered through recently were post hiatus, maybe that’s the divide

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think it'll always be just too schmaltzy for me, especially at the end. In my mind I can't not picture like, Celine Dion belting it out.

This, though, is so so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDYB-Egzs0

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

lotta people itt who have never woken to the sound of streetcats makin love

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You’ve never really heard LL Rain until you’ve stared into Rob Wasserman’s eyes as he serenaded you with his electric upright at a Ratdog show

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

lotta people itt who have never woken to the sound of streetcats makin love

loving lmao
but also,

I agree with op.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RE bobby chat:

I thought the thread would like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLV-73VF6Tg

Bobby was having some trouble with his rig at the time, which resulted in us ending up with a recording of his isolated guitar track during the show. Really showcases his unique rhythym playing, and it's a blast to guess each song based on his guitar alone while you listen.

His tone has always kinda had that icepick-treble, but I've noticed it's definitely gotten worse over the years. I assume this is hearing loss and he cranks up the treble to concentrate, but especially when you see him live nowadays it has been a little ear-piercing. I love it though, it's uniquely and distinctively Bobby

It's also fun to show this to your newer or casual Deadhead friends and they go "wait...BOBBY plays that first lead lick on China cat???"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

RE bobby chat:

I thought the thread would like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLV-73VF6Tg

Bobby was having some trouble with his rig at the time, which resulted in us ending up with a recording of his isolated guitar track during the show. Really showcases his unique rhythym playing, and it's a blast to guess each song based on his guitar alone while you listen.

His tone has always kinda had that icepick-treble, but I've noticed it's definitely gotten worse over the years. I assume this is hearing loss and he cranks up the treble to concentrate, but especially when you see him live nowadays it has been a little ear-piercing. I love it though, it's uniquely and distinctively Bobby

It's also fun to show this to your newer or casual Deadhead friends and they go "wait...BOBBY plays that first lead lick on China cat???"

I listened to a sbd tape the other day that had great stereo separation and it really made it obvious how much he did. Jerry was very quiet between solos on a lot of tunes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I listened to a sbd tape the other day that had great stereo separation and it really made it obvious how much he did. Jerry was very quiet between solos on a lot of tunes.

Definitely! In fact watching vids I noticed Jerry plays basic a lot of basic cowboy chord shapes when he's on rhthym. Really emphasizes how much Bobby's rhthym brought to the table

Bobby's rhythym:Grateful Dead::Jerry's leads:Grateful Dead

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Definitely! In fact watching vids I noticed Jerry plays basic a lot of basic cowboy chord shapes when he's on rhthym. Really emphasizes how much Bobby's rhthym brought to the table

Bobby's rhythym:Grateful Dead::Jerry's leads:Grateful Dead

Bobby’s short shorts:Grateful Dead::Jerry’s sweatpants shorts:Grateful Dead

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Bobby’s short shorts:Grateful Dead::Phil’s sweat bands:Grateful Dead

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lol

The Go To Heaven photo shoot always sends me, even the one they actually used is goofy as gently caress.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/21stcenturydead/status/1263998655884865536?s=21&t=8eMLrTY8X5SmMKarhny-Yw

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Finishing up today's show form 1980, it's a good one. From Althea through the end of the show, everything is really on. The chilled out Not Fade Away -> Black Peter after Drums/Space near the end of the show was a highlight I wasn't expecting.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Driving my office insane today listening to every Friend of the Devil out-take.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Anyone else couch touring? This tour's been pretty good for only being a few shows in.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I was at last night's show. It was killer.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Bill Walton was rocking out right in front of where my friends were posted up at last night's show

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I can’t get into dead and co. I’d like to and I might still go see them this summer but it’s not my thing. I’d much rather see JRAD

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
This was my first Dead and Co show. In some way the vibes are weird because the 3 “ringers” are definitely doing a majority of the heavy lifting musically. Also you have to come to the terms with, say, The John Mayer Voice singing Althea. But the playing is truly great, Bob is definitely the band leader and still knows how to decide when to keep jamming or wind things up.

And, dare I say it, the ridiculous Drums segment last night was fun, had a bit of an industrial music vibe honestly. The crowd near me were eating it up.

I felt like I hit the jackpot on their set list last night though, was basically a Europe 72 set plus huge Let It Grow and Althea versions. The Other One and Wharf Rat were fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Three little GD thoughts on my Sunday evening:
-chanced across a great GD cover band Grateful Shred, they are just grand. particularly their cover of Eyes of the World, my favourite GD song! (Followed by ripple then loser)
-saw a clip of Jerry Garcia saying rap isn't music and also decrying the youth of today (early 90s?) For being derividive with their sound and it's all copied and my golly the youth don't even know who they are plagiarising. But Im just like dude, you are also part of this and rap isn't music is such a boomer thing to say lol. He comes across as very much old man yells at cloud and it's the youth that are wrong. Poor guy was having a rough one by whenever it was filmed but still, dude, argh why did you have to have these bad opinions.
-i think one of the main reasons I enjoy the GD is you can click on a live recording and just know the next two hours are going to be taken care of. It's like lo fi hip hop beats but American boomer edition of it.