Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

trans fat posted:

Deadheads I've met in real life have seemed almost offended that I would dare to prefer studio Dead to live Dead on some occasions. Box of Rain is a perfect example of this, in that I've yet to hear a rendition of it that really, really captured what it has on American Beauty. Given how emotional and personal of a song it is, it disappoints me that I can't really hear some great soul-bearing jams. Please guide me, wiser Deadheads.

It might not be their best version musically, but Box of Rain was the very last song the Dead played as a cohesive whole, so as a fan of the band, you should appreciate the Soldier Field show closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

HollisBrown posted:

Proof that their is no god.

Before Dark Star Orchestra stole her guitarist when John joined Furthur, Donna and the Tricksters were really solid. You could close your eyes at a show and it sounded like being at a JGB gig in the 80s.

Speaking of Furthur, since there's no dates, Phil is mostly out east from what I've seen, and not being a big Ratdog fan, its gonna be wall to wall Panic gigs for the wife and I this summer. Not complaining at all. We've started talking about Furthur in the past tense, sadly. Is there any word they'll be back on tour in 2015?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Juaguocio posted:

Yeah, I've had 10/12 sitting around for a while, I really need to give it a whirl one of these days.

2/14/68 is another rip-roaring show. You can hear pieces of it on "Anthem," and it was also released in its complete form as Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 2.

The poster is an all-time classic:

That Alligator > Caution is pure fire.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

BigFactory posted:

And when was the last time Billy and Micky played with them? Billy did some Phil and friends stuff a decade ago, and were all 4 together as The Dead in like 2000? Throw in Hornsby, Kimock and John K and this is pretty cool.

AFAIK it was The Dead's tour in 2005(?) with Warren Haynes on lead.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

OniKun posted:

I really want to make those Chicago shows, but I just can't see myself managing to afford flights, hotel, plus tickets. I also bet that they are going to sell out really, really, really fast.

I actually live in Chicago and I still think it's an impossible journey. If we get tickets to just one night, I'll be overcome with joy. It's gonna be the hottest ticket in town this summer for sure. We may end up just wandering around shakedown all weekend hoping for some luck.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Celebrating GD50 in the gooniest way possible.

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 9, 2015

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Sorry, posted it on mobile. Changed to timg.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
^^^^ E: listen to Warren do West LA Fadeaway at Rosemont in Chicago from that tour. Great, great stuff. The bluesy stuff was what Warren was great at.

BigFactory posted:

I don't even get it. Homeboy just posted a photo of a panel from infinity gauntlet or something?

In other news, my mail order request got denied. Cool.

idk it was just nice art with a relevant tone. I didn't give it much thought, just thought it was interesting and applicable to this thread. Sorry, guys.

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 10, 2015

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I work in produce, and a friend of mine with deep pockets was looking to score 3 day passes for all of us. He brought his laptop into the store and set it up on the cantaloupe display. I was getting off at 10 when the on sale started, so he kept giving me updates on the countdown timer. At 10, I punched out and booked it to his car, where we sat in the parking lot fighting TM to see if we secured anything. It took close to 90 minutes, but we eventually did get 4 passes. It wasn't until I got home and started browsing Facebook and the news sites to realize how lucky we got.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
For people who will be in Chicago for GD50, last night moe. announced that they're doing after shows all three nights, if that's your thing.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I think you'd be hard struck to find a definitive biography, mainly because I'd be surprised if any one person close to the band remembers more than half of it. It would take a ton of legwork to piece it all together, and it probably wouldn't move enough copies to justify the publisher's advance necessary to take the time to do the work.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Twenty years. It'll be all Jerry on the stereo today.

https://youtu.be/K3zAj93dwMA

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I was sitting in the back of an old beater getting stoned wondering why all the radio stations were suddenly playing Dead songs.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The July shows were fine. You don't go to a Dead show expecting them to perform well. You go to a Dead show hoping they pull off something special. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's the way they've always been.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Chicago peeps, live Nation is selling dead and co Wrigley tickets for $20 right now

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
D&C tempo has been an issue since the beginning, but they were firing fast Saturday night. That slipknot was one of the best I've ever heard

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Robert Hunter passed away tonight. Rest in peace.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I have so many favorites

If all you got to live for
is what you left behind
get yourself a powder charge
and seal that silver mine

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The whole Europe 72 tour is available on streaming services, that's a good place to start

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
80s Dead:

Downhill From Here 7/17/89: https://youtu.be/UCgp2jaWFW0

Crimson White & Indigo 7/7/89: https://youtu.be/gspGPBijYFU (one of my favorites)

Nightfall of Diamonds 10/16/89: https://youtu.be/ARFNosrPxwQ

I'd put the Brent Mydland era above a lot of the 70s stuff. If Jerry had been more consistent...drat those years could have been pure fire

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Brent's playing is good but I hate his voice and casio tones soooooo much it's basically insurmountable for me

I'm not sure how anybody can listen to that red rooster I posted and not like Brent's vocals

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Funny coincidence, that crimson white and indigo show was streamed tonight on the dead's yt

https://youtu.be/Qi-e0dKczJc

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
You guys got me listening to 73 again

Road Trips V4#3 Denver 73 has an absolutely insane Playing stanza that weaves in and out of El Paso and Wharf Rat. So drat good.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I'll admit to being less than thrilled when the Dark Star bassline starts up during a show. I'll take an exploratory Playing in the Band over Dark Star any day of the week.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
they play first tube a ton on fox. they also started dropping saint of circumstance a lot

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Speaking of sports and the Dead, is Neil Everett still at espn? He used to drop dead lyrics all the time. Basketball was his favorite, every good rebound got "one man gathers what another man spills!"

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

me your dad posted:

Do the Dead have any super spacey mellow songs? I'm thinking something like this, which is tangential to the Dead, but I would like more and it seems like they would have been great at this style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ZF1mK3-rA

Check out Grayfolded. John Oswalt did a two disc plunderphonic mashup of Dark Star that will probably be right up your alley.

https://youtu.be/e-6MUqLzAXM

Edit: fun fact, it's the only officially released grateful dead album to feature every single member of the band

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 6, 2021

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I have tried harder to simply "get" phish than I ever have with any other band. I don't need to like them, I just want to understand the appeal because there are so many better bands in the jam scene. I had always just chalked it up to them being in the right place at the right time when Dead tour suddenly came to an end in 1995.

Then I heard this Antelope and it finally clicked

https://youtu.be/ETBSTYHmVUI

I heard a funny anecdote on a podcast recently. They were talking about all the heads that got locked up when phish played deer creek, and when they got to jail/prison, it was full of heads still doing time from the last time the Dead played there. They were like "wait, phish is the band now? How did that happen?"

E: I should clarify, they knew jerry had passed, they were just wondering how it ended up being phish and not like, allman bros or blues traveler

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 9, 2021

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

BigFactory posted:

I haven’t heard it either but that was pretty much their peak.

Yeah but May thru October 77 though

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Jerry's lick on that touch of grey is wild

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Road Trips are curated shows that aren't already Dick's/Dave's Picks that are released digitally by the band.

If you want a good "best of" that isn't whole sets, track down old recordings of David Gans' Grateful Dead Hour.

https://youtu.be/dKU-Re1kp8o

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 7, 2021

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I knew Raleigh was gonna be a tough ticket because it's the opener, but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. Completely shut out, was hoping to surprise my wife

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

hatelull posted:

Do you notice a difference in their playing and jammy quality when the band were deep into the H compared to say, the Veneta show? I haven't gone past that '79 Winterland show ... yet.

There's a few shows on YouTube between 85 and 87 where Jerry is completely smacked. If you talk to old heads a lot of them are bitter about that era, all the BS to get a ticket and get in the show just to have Jerry basically nodding off on stage

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I don't think the dead would have kept touring much longer even if Jerry had lived. Tour was going off the rails. They couldn't contain all the people that were showing up without a ticket after they were already selling out the biggest venues in the city, not to mention the municipal hurdles a tour that size needed to jump. My guess is things would be pretty much the same as they are now except jgb stayed on tour and they wouldn't have needed trey for fare thee well

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah they're cancelling shows without vax standards.

Speaking of, if anybody has extras for 10/20 red rocks please hit my PMs

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
5/14/74 has been nagging me on feed for a few days so I gave it a listen. Really solid stuff. The Weather Report is silky smooth

https://youtu.be/D_RiiRe2sns

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

[Me to my wife every 5 minutes while watching Get Back] someone should’ve turned the beatles onto the dead, that’d’ve solved all their problems

I recently saw something where Donald Fagen was talking about how Steely Dan almost went the same route the Dead did and I couldn't help but start thinking about with everything else staying as it was, what Michael McDonald's career trajectory would have looked like if the Dan had gotten real weird with it. An ironic Bruce Hornsby?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

The Billy and the Kids show from Red Rocks over the summer is on there as well:

https://youtu.be/4CIADjdBi3s

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The streaming services also have a version of dicks picks that's all the shows in release order in one "album" if you're a true madman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Kvlt! posted:

I think it's most bc Billy just wants to chill and smoke pot instead of tour which at his age is certainly reasonable

The road was rough on him this summer, I wouldn't blame him at all.

I know Bobby fleshed out wolf bros last fall, do they have a lead yet?