Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Hollis Brownsound posted:

I mean I love the actual "Grateful Dead", but this last "farewell" show and now touring with John Mayer has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

I don't hate John Mayer, but he's the anti-Jerry, he plays hack blues licks, his playing has no sense of experimentation.

This is just a lovely cash grab by old rich people who don't need it.

I respectfully disagree, I believe John Mayer is an accomplished guitarist who will be able to contribute to the Grateful Dead sound.

Listen to this guitar solo in "Morning Dew" when John Mayer played with Phil Lesh earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJLHb8G9Hug

John and Phil's version of "I Know You Rider" was pretty great as well. Here, John seems pretty humbled to be playing with Phil, thanking for fans accepting him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Rk0YBJ4fc

I mean, sure, we could've had a better replacement for Trey (one guitarist that immediately comes to mind would be Warren Haynes), but this isn't a terrible choice. Of course, no one will be able to replace Jerry, but I'm still excited to see how Dead & Company sounds together. I'll be going to the show at the DCU Center in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Planet X posted:

Man I don't know what to think of this. You do a final tour, then turn right around and start touring again. Oh, wait, I see now, it's not as The Grateful Dead, it's under a different banner. At least they could have waited longer before hitting the road again.

Ah, what do I care, I didn't get to see them during their formative years, so it's not like it matters.

I see where you're coming from here, but did they ever explicitly say that the Santa Fe and Chicago shows were the last shows they'd ever do? How is this any different from the other Grateful Dead projects like Furthur? Maybe the final shows made them want to play together again

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Dead & Company will be embarking on another tour this Summer! I'm not sure if anyone here managed to catch one of the shows last Fall, but I can confirm that this is an awesome group, having seen them at the DCU Center in Worcester. The second set was insane, starting off with Deal > Uncle John's Band > Estimated Prophet > Terrapin Station. John Mayer fits in well with the group, and only sings vocals on a few tunes.

Here's the tour dates:

Fri Jun 10 - Charlotte, NC PNC Music Pavilion
Thu Jun 16 - Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Music Center
Fri Jun 17 - Noblesville, IN Klipsch Music Center
Mon Jun 20 - Camden, NJ BB&T Pavilion
Tue Jun 21 - Saratoga Springs, NY Saratoga Performing Arts Center
Thu Jun 23 - Bristow, VA Jiffy Lube Live
Sat Jun 25 - Flushing, NY Citi Field
Sun Jun 26 - Flushing, NY Citi Field
Tue Jun 28 - Hartford, CT Xfinity Theatre
Sat Jul 02 - Boulder, CO Folsom Field
Sun Jul 03 - Boulder, CO Folsom Field
Thu Jul 07 - Detroit, MI DTE Energy Music Theatre
Sat Jul 09 - East Troy, WI Alpine Valley Music Theatre
Sun Jul 10 - East Troy, WI Alpine Valley Music Theatre
Wed Jul 13 - Pittsburgh, PA First Niagara Pavilion
Fri Jul 15 - Boston, MA Fenway Park
Sat Jul 16 - Boston, MA Fenway Park

URL - http://www.deadandcompany.com/

I'll probably go to the Friday, July 15th show at Fenway or the June 28th show in CT. Can't wait!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

LordPants posted:

The National's 3 CD Grateful Dead tribute compilation album has been fully anounced now with tracklist, warning it's rpetty heavy on hip indie bands and even a pitchfork reading jerk like myself doesn't recognize all the names

Here's the first few of the tracks that have been released from this project:

The National - Morning Dew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLVLCXgTx3o

The War on Drugs - Touch of Grey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72OLupNWNho

Courtney Barnett - New Speedway Boogie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdaAQlmExmI

Phosphorescent, Jenny Lewis & Friends - Sugaree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhver8g_KZc

Bruce Hornsby and DeYarmond Edison - Black Muddy River:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-shsMngdw

Out the few released so far, I'm really liking The National's take on "Morning Dew". The War on Drugs cover of "Touch of Grey" sounds like Bob Dylan covering the Dead, but the chorus feels pretty off - it's pretty heavy on the synthesizers as well. The others are pretty good, but nothing truly "remarkable" yet.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Well I don't like any of those. Everyone sounds so bored. I've never head the National before, but that guy a pretty hilarious voice. The War on Drugs song somehow manages to sound like every other War on Drugs song. I guess I like New Speedway, but I'd much rather listen to the original instead of someone sounding bored to be doing a cover of it. Oh well.

To me, it's missing the guitar presence big time. They've essentially stripped down the songs and there isn't really a "jam" element. I'd prefer listening to the originals than any of the ones they've released so far

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

http://pitchfork.com/news/64728-the-national-and-grizzly-bear-members-cover-the-grateful-deads-terrapin-station-listen/

Here's a new cover of the Terrapin Station Suite, and I find this to be the best of any they've released yet. The instrumentation is definitely point here, and the vocals are pretty decent.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

LordPants posted:

Terrapin is so great, man it's one of my favorites.

Me too, it's easily in my top 5 favorite Dead songs ever

The Terrapin Station cover is good, but the "Inspiration, move me brightly" part is really bizarre. The tempo is off and kind of kills the momentum of the song, but at least it picks up after that

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I picked up the new release of the Grateful Dead July 8, 1978 show at Red Rocks (http://www.dead.net/show/july-8-1978), and it's incredible. The sound quality is excellent since it's from an old Betty board. The band themselves are in top form, and there's a ton of energy throughout the entire set.

If anyone was on the fence about getting this, get it - the second set is phenomenal with Estimated Prophet > The Other One > Eyes of the World, and then later with Wharf Rat > Franklin's Tower > Sugar Magnolia. It also has a killer encore with Terrapin Station > One More Saturday Night > Werewolves of London

I think it might also be on Spotify as well

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 19, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Well looks like I'm going to see dead and co at Fenway. Any expectations? I'm sure I'll have a good time

Are you going Friday? I'm going that night

Hartford's show was pretty awesome, there was a ton of energy in the crowd and everyone seemed into it - young and old. My personal highlights were:

Mississippi Half-Step > Cumberland Blues
Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World (with an Oteil bass solo) > Deal > Viola Lee Blues
The Wheel
U.S. Blues

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Going Saturday

Nice! Have fun :) These guys are at the top of their game right now

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Unfortunately the game is playing grateful dead songs really really slowly.

Depends on the song, but I do see where you're coming from - like the 15 minute Black Peter from the Hartford show I just went to, which went a little too long imo

Regardless, I like Dead & Company more than Furthur or Phil Lesh and Friends (in my personal experience, having seen all three) - I feel like John, Oteil and Jeff bring a youthful energy to the band

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I saw phish at Fenway a few years ago and it's not as bad a place to see a concert as I thought it would be. Still pretty bad though.

Fenway is definitely not the best place to see a show sound quality-wise, but the history and importance of the venue in the Boston area makes it a lot cooler. The sound quality probably varies wildly depending on where you sit, but the advantage of Fenway being so small is that there isn't really a "bad seat" in the venue, unless you get stuck behind one of the support beams like I did for Paul McCartney :(

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah man I'm excited. First concert at Fenway and I'm a brand new dead noob so I'm expecting to enjoy it

Awesome. I'm hoping you get to hear the songs you want to hear - any particular one(s) on your wishlist?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Thanks to a coworker who couldn't go, I'm also going to the Saturday Fenway show! My first double header concert ever - so psyched! The tickets were normally $100+ with fees but I got the pair for $70 each

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hell yeah dude! Be sure to post here Saturday for a Friday trip report

Will do :)

Also, for any interested, there's $25 tickets ($43 with fees) for tomorrow's show through this link: http://purchasenow4.tickets.com/buy/TicketOnsale?orgid=46849&poid=145896&agency=FENWAY_PRE1&partnerId=ed-10571667-912288093

Password is WELCOME

Edit: The link is now inactive :( It was only active on Thursday, and the promo ended around 10pm last night I believe..

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 15, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Well, that was incredible. Out of the three times I've seen them so far, this was the best yet! They went big for this show, and this had to be my favorite two sets yet :) Donna Godchaux showed up, so it's likely she'll stick around for tomorrow. Can't wait!

Set One:

Jack Straw
The Music Never Stopped
Next Time You See Me
Loser
Peggy-O
Help On The Way -> Slipknot! -> Franklin's Tower

Set Two:

St. Stephen
Dark Star -> Terrapin Station
Drums -> Space -> Terrapin Station reprise
Morning Dew
Casey Jones

Encore:

Black Muddy River
US Blues

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Well I guess that had every song you'd want to hear. Feel bad for people going tonight. Hope they like hearing one more Saturday night and a snails pace playin in the band.

Not necessarily

I feel like they could bring out the following: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Truckin, New Minglewood Blues, Mississippi Half-Step or even an Eyes of the World

There's plenty of great stuff left! I'll report back later tonight, as I'll be heading in around 3:30

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

How hot was it last night? I might die tonight

It was like a goddamn sauna in there, it was so freakin' hot - totally worth it though!

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Also what time did it end ?

About 10:20ish

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think tonight was the best night of my life. Papa SHRIMP and I just jammed out to songs we barely knew in beautiful weather then got a ton of tacos. Couldn't be happier!!

Glad you had a good time!! Just got back - my brother and I went to Sweet Caroline's for some beers and appetizers then went into zoo to enter the park - today felt a lot more comfortable overall

That Deal, He's Gone and Sugaree > Fire on the Mountain were all phenomenal

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 17, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

What an incredible weekend at Fenway! Both Friday and Saturday were phenomenal and the best shows I've seen yet from them (I've seen them now four times total)

Friday's highlights were easily the Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower in the first set and then the entire loving epic second set (St. Stephen > Dark Star > Terrapin then back into Terrapin after Drums Space, Morning Dew and an energetic Casey Jones)

Saturday had a better first set in my opinion with the Truckin' opener, and then the smokin' Deal > Bird Song > Passenger all with Donna Godcheaux. The second set had a few nice surprises with the He's Gone, Sugaree > Fire on the Mountain and Not Fade Away - and the Estimated Prophet was the best out of the three times I've heard it live by them (I saw it in Hartford and Worcester)

Edit: The crowd was pretty wild too. I got so baked during Dark Star, it was wonderful

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

DJ BK posted:

I don't particularly care for Bobby's playing the last ten plus years. The FTW shows and the Dead & Co recordings all reflect SLOW playing, like really slow. I'd rather listen to Russo's Almost Dead or recordings from 77-78. They are too old and play way too slow.

edit: this weekend is also LOCKN' where Phish is playing and also WEEN and Phil Lesh & Friends. I'd bet that Trey or Mike sits in with Phil. I'm not going but I'll download to listen. I won't bother with Dead & Co shows. Just my opinion.

Watch this Casey Jones from the July 15th Fenway show (an epic night), and tell me they're playing "slow" (fast forward to about 4:52 or so): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5Ps6tqk_w

Bobby has sounded better than he has in years. Way better than he did with Furthur, that's for sure.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

sweet_jones posted:

Anyone going to Dead and Co or other GD-related shows this summer? I was able to snag tickets for both nights in Boulder.

I've got a ticket to night one of Fenway this year (I went to both last year), and I'll be seeing Joe Russo's Almost Dead in July. Psyched for both!

Lately, I've been digging a lot of shows from 1973. In particular, I've been fond of the Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Morning Dew > Uncle John's Band > Playing In The Band sandwich from 11/17/73 (Dave's Picks 5) - it might be one of my favorite of all-time jams I've heard from them so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEkYLG9w3UM

Is anyone going to go to the Meet-Up At The Movies event this year? They are going to show The Grateful Dead Movie since it's the 40th anniversary this year, with a special mini-doc about the Cornell show. I've owned this movie for a while, but I've never seen it on the big screen, so that'll be pretty cool. National theaters will be having it on 04/20, but my local drive-in will be showing it a month later on 05/20, since the weather will be nicer and its a Saturday. I'll be there!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Anyone going to The Fenway shows in June? Really blows it's Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday and Saturday

I'll be going to the Saturday Fenway show with my brother in law! It'll be a fifth time seeing them - I'm happy it's on a weekend instead of a weekday personally.

The two Fenway shows last year were awesome, so I'm psyched

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 25, 2017

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah I went to Saturday last year with my old man and it was one of the most fun times of my life. We had a blast. Trying for Saturday again this year!

The Sugaree > Fire on the Mountain combo was pretty awesome. John Mayer brought it that night, that's for sure!

The first night had a killer second set:

St. Stephen
Dark Star
Terrapin Station
Drums > Space
Terrapin Reprise > Morning Dew
Casey Jones

This year should be fun :) I'm really hoping for a China > Rider, Bertha, Althea, Throwing Stones and Shakedown Street - some I haven't seen yet!

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 25, 2017

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Regarding Dead & Co: https://www.jambase.com/article/john-mayer-discusses-dead-company-charlie-rose

I really dug this interview. John Mayer seems pretty humbled and genuinely into the music, which is nice

sweet_jones posted:

I'm really excited to see JRAD Saturday, despite what looks like snow at this point.

That should be pretty awesome! I hope it all works out well, weather-wise.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 2, 2017

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Chicago peeps, live Nation is selling dead and co Wrigley tickets for $20 right now

Fenway has $20 tickets too, I got two Sunday tickets so I'll be going to both nights again!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

An Apple A Gay posted:

yeah they must be digging for clicks, i went through the list and there's nothing I didn't already know/couldn't find elsewhere

Pitchfork is pretty much the last place I'd ever go to get live Grateful Dead recommendations from, to be honest.

On another note, it looks like the Dead & Company "Summer" tour starts in two days - anybody going to any shows? I'll be going to both Fenway shows as I did last year, and I'm really looking forward to it - last time was a blast. I also wanted to share this article I saw online with an interview from Bob Weir about the upcoming tour and I found this particular part intriguing:

[quote="Bob Weir" post=""""]
Are there any songs you're especially excited to explore with John Mayer this summer?

Yes, but that's always going to be the case. But this new wrinkle, which I'm not at liberty to try to attempt to describe because I really won't know what we're looking at until a few days into it at least ... that's what's got me going right now.
[/quote]

I wonder what this "new wrinkle" is. I've seen on Instragram that Oteil might take lead vocals on a few songs, which would be a great move. Oteil is a great singer - he sang the lead on "Dark Star" with JRAD back in March.

Link to the Article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/bob-weir-on-dead-companys-summer-shows-1977-tour-w480777

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Roark posted:

I'm going to the Bristow, VA show on the 22nd. I never thought I'd be this excited for something featuring John Mayer.

John Mayer has proven himself to be a great fit, surprisingly. He slays at the guitar, and what's nice is that he doesn't just regurgitate Jerry licks - he puts some of his own personality into it. Dude plays with a ton of heart, and I respect that. He also legitimately loves playing the music, which shows.

When they first announced that he was playing in Dead & Company back in 2015, I was surprised as I never thought he would be a good fit for the music. Boy was I wrong!

Enjoy!

AstroZamboni posted:

My dad surprised me with both night tickets for Dead & Co at Folsom field for my birthday. Tomorrow night's going to be pretty drat sweet.

That's awesome :) Happy Birthday and definately report back with how it went!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Night 1 was pretty loving amazing. Set 2 started with St Stephen -> Estimated Prophet that was one of the most epic goddamn things I've ever heard.

That Dancing in the Street was funk-tastic and was very remincisent of the Cornell 77 version imo

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Maaaaan that was a blast. What an awesome night at Fenway!!

I'm a relatively new fan and I've got a question: has there been a big improvement in the band the past couple years? Were shows 5 years ago this good? Better, worse?

Dead & Company keeps getting better and better as they keep playing. Now they're really starting to experiment, shake up the standard combos (splitting up China > Rider, Help/Slip/Frank and Scarlet > Fire) and try new things! I've seen them a total of six times now (first in 2015, three in 2016 and two this year) and each show is better than the last.

I went to both nights of Fenway again this year and it was magical! The scene was better than last year (a good sized Shakedown behind the beer works) and the band sounded better than ever.

Saturday night's highlights were Ramble on Rose, Sugaree and pretty much all of the second set (the Dancin in the Street was the best version they've done yet, and the Estimated > Eyes and Franklin's Tower were out of this world).

Sunday was the best though - and it easily blew away every time I had seen them prior. The first set with the acoustic trio was memorable - I can't believe they hadn't done an acoustic Dark Star before, as it sounded excellent. The second set was bliss, with the best versions of Truckin, Fire on the Mountain and St. Stephen I've ever heard (the Fire in particular rivals the latter Grateful Dead years without a doubt). Oteil singing Fire on the Mountain was perfect. The return of Dark Star after Drums and space blew my loving mind. And the Brokedown Palace encore was nearly perfect as well.

All in all just a phenomenal weekend. Everyone should catch this band while they can - it's the best band out there carrying on the torch of the Dead, imo.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I would recommend Dick's Picks Volume 12 from June 26th and June 28th, 1974. The shows have some really unique, amazing jams, Phil is loud in the mix, and the playing is super tight. Some highlights:

- The China Cat Sunflower > Mind Left Body Jam > I Know You Rider is the best I've heard, better than the Veneta 72 or Europe 72 version imo.
- The Other One > Spanish Jam is incredible
- The Eyes of the World is one of the best versions I've heard, and has a great Phil bass solo.
- I'd also argue that this CD has the "definitive" live version of the Weather Report Suite. It's masterfully played!

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 4, 2017

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Isn't phil always loud in the mix if its a sbd?

That is one of those soundboard tapes where ALL you hear is Phil, Keith and Jerry, though. It's a good show.

Perhaps, but I feel like he's louder in this mix than I've heard in others.

BigFactory posted:

5-2-70, Binghampton NY (Dicks Picks 8) is really good. Acoustic first set and electric second.

Seconding this recommendation - both sets are pretty phenomenal. "The Other One" from this show is a scorcher

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

There's been a bit of news in the Grateful Dead world, so I thought I'd resurrect a "dead" thread!

Dave Lemieux has announced the 2018 Dave's Picks subscription (now available for $99 early bird with free shipping), with the first 2018 release being November 6, 1977 (Volume 25, to be released in January). He also teased a legendary performance coming out on Dave’s Picks Volume 26 in which "available recordings don’t do the music justice." I'm real curious to see what era that'll be - I'm hoping for more variety, with something in the late sixties or an eighties show.

I've listened to a little bit of 11/6/77 from the archive, and it looks like it'll be a great show. The Half-Step, Jack Straw, Samson and Truckin' are all barn burners! I haven't subscribed in previous years, but I might bite the bullet and take the plunge, as I don't want to miss out on certain releases (like the Eugene, OR 1978 show).

Link/Source: https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-release-famed-1977-show-daves-picks-volume-25

There's a lot going on in the touring world too -

Dead & Company start their "Fall" tour in eight days in San Francisco for the Band Together Area Benefit concert, in which all proceeds go in support of the local relief and long-term recovery in the regions impacted by the recent CA fires. Their tour continues on 11/12 at MSG and continues through 12/8 in Sunrise, FL. I'll be going to the two Boston Garden shows on 11/17 & 11/19!

Phil Lesh & the Terrapin Family Band have been touring a little bit (just got off of the Halloween run) and have a few shows announced in November in Chicago, Tennessee and Alabama.

JRAD and DSO also have fall tours that are ongoing - so there's something for everyone!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

That seems like a lot of money for music that is essentially free and easily available in a lot of different formats. I guess they charge what they think they can charge.

Audience recordings are readily available via public domain but not that many high-quality soundboards. They can charge what they want (I think $99 for four three disc sets and a bonus disc is a good deal, personally) because they’re limited numbered releases and highly collectible.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

algebra testes posted:

They often but not always have cool stuff with them, photos and essays which I like.

The Dave's Picks series is certainly more fleshed out than the Dick's Picks series in this regard. The additional insight, essays, photos, and artwork is always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Pigpen blows.

Is this Opposite Day? Pigpen rules on songs like Turn on Your Love Light, Alligator and Mr. Charlie