Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I caught Autzen after buying tickets for back of the stadium GA on a whim for me and my newbie roommate a month ago (I'm a lifelong 60s and 70s fan, never really got into the 80s and 90s stuff past Dick's Picks and The Dead / Furthur / DSO once in a while).

It was incredible. I couldn't have asked for a better second set, and the energy in the crowd was amazing. The 80s stuff totally makes sense now (even w/ the set we got, just listening to the rest of the tour). I'm sold on Mayer which I kinda didn't think was gonna happen. & Oteil and Jeff as well but I had a lot less skepticism coming in.

"If this ain't the real thing, it's close enough to pretend"

What's everyone's favorite Sailor > Saint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone into Jerry Band?

Trying to get into it but idk where to start. I like a lot of the 80s covers I've heard (what piqued my curiosity) and I like Keith and Donna dead a lot so I'm curious about the 70s period.

Other than that its more varied than the Dead right? What are the kind of different eras? Hows the official released stuff, is there a Dicks Picks type thing to start me off?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Taking my brother to the Gorge! Trying to convince myself to get to SF or LA too, my big regret after Autzen last year was only doing one show.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yiggy posted:

Mid 70ís Jerry Garcia band
Legion of Mary
The Pizza tapes - Jerry Garcia and David Grisman
Old and in the Way

I spent a summer working at a tie dye shop on Haight and it was run by 80ís nadir touch heads and they listened to a narrow range of shows on repeat. A lot of late 80s and early 90s Bobby heavy dead is just unlistenable in my opinion. I like late 70s til 82ish, thatís where their darker and more out there jamming is. The later stuff is a little more formulaic for obv reasons. I prefer JGB and side project content has a lot of soul.

All great recs but don't write off the mid-late 80s and 90s completely. As time goes on it does get formulaic and you gotta like Bobby but there are some good shows where the forumula breaks and things pop again. 84-85 get weird as Jerry stops being a reliably lead and the rest of the band step in (Berkley Community Theater, especially the later shows in 84, and Hershey Park in 85 are good examples imo) and the 1990 NYE show with Branford Marsalis is incredible (as is the earlier one @ Nassau with Brent).

The stuff Bralove brings in as time goes on - midi, digi drum sounds, Mickeys wilder indulgences - don't alllways land, but they're interesting coming from an electronic background, and sometimes they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXAADjchSSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z1sUBiqMsg

Oh and for dark weird improv the Daves Picks 23 show is a must.

Yiggy posted:

Then just skip to archive.org JRAD if you actually like dancing to the music.

Speaking of JRAD is it worth seeing them a week before I catch D&C? Been curious and I really wanna hear Rubin and Cherise this year

Also everyone in this thread should know about Relisten

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Did both nights of Gorge!!! I got in by Dire Wolf on Friday (venue stuff was kind of a shitshow, huh?). Terrapin, Playin>UJB>Playin, were sick, and loved the Eyes and the Deal. I was kind of hoping for no Deal that weekend cause idk I'm lukewarm even on the better Jerry versions but the one we got was killer. John and Jeff doing things. The Eyes was really good too! Dark Star surprised me but was kind of underwhelming, especially after Autzen last year. And I danced a lot for Loose Lucy and sang for Must Have Been The Roses - those were both really nice. Idk overall they're growing on me the more I listen, maybe the sound wasn't great? Maybe the venue was too distracting? The Gorge was cool but I'd definitely rather hit up a stadium if I had the choice next year.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Got my Rubin and Cherise from Garcia Birthday Band @ OCF. Not on the national touring level but if you're in the Willamette Valley they're worth checking out. Terrapin Family Band was pretty great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEWlOFSX3lM

This floored me. I've been listening to a lot of 81-84 Jerry Band and this is hitting all the notes those John Kahn solos in those 20 minute Simple Twist of Fates do. I don't think any one show from this year beat last year's Autzen show but overall I really liked what I heard from D&C this year.

536 posted:

Why don't they ever play Fire on the Mountain live when its like the best song ever?

Oteil hits the vocals way too early! I always want another 5 minutes of jam. Scarlet -> Spanish Jam at the gorge was really cool too.

I mean I agree just this is how I've been rationalizing it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah, like, where do you begin?

"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there" makes me misty-eyed every time. God there's so many though this post was just becoming a list of all my favorite songs...

Recently I've been really appreciating those later Stagger Lees and Dupree's Diamond Blues - just as profound as his very mystical stuff, but in a much darker way. Hearing like an 85 Cassidy into Duprees is like you're getting some deep, dark, wisdom, and not necessarily the enlightening uplifting kind. "I'll tell you the reason, if you want to know. Child of mine, there really isn't very far to go". Right after this big paen to Bobby's acid-guru surrogate father.

Speaking of Jerry Band, I've been on a big dive since I asked about them, culminating in getting on Lossless Legs cause none of its on Archive.

Thoughts:
1. Official releases are not the good poo poo. Fall 83 tour is peak Jerry.
2. There definitely are eras. Yeah it's not as distinct as the Dead and yeah it is kinda Jerry playing his favorites every night but I would break it up like:
a.) pre-Jerry band/ Legion of Mary era - lots of Merl Saunders and well sounds like 70s Jerry. Soulful.
b.) 70s JGB - this is where we get Cats Under the Stars songs, Keith and Donna, and idk sounds like late 70s Jerry? Funky and groovy.
c.) Early 80s Jerry - this is where it starts to get good imo. Late 82/83 Melvin, Gloria, and Jackie join which are gonna be the sounds you probably associate with it. Start to hear more Dylan, more familiar arrangements, and Jerry just killing it in solos. Melvin takes a bit to step up but gets there - a couple 83 shows it sounds like he's purposely holding back. Fall 83 tour is a highlight.
d.) Late 80s - post coma Jerry. Lots more rnb and a little gospel, organ and backup singers pick up some slack but Jerry still comes through. Electric on the Eel is a nice example that segues into
e.) 90s Jerry - very Gospel, very ragged Jerry, very soulful. There isn't a great demarcation point between the last two, just you'll kinda hear it and be like oh yeah its on one side or the other. Less kinda shreddy solos, more just playing it long and slow as my friend puts it. 10 minute Lucky Old Suns, Shining Stars, C'est La Vie (Never Can Tell) - real party music, just everybody have a good time stuff. The Dead and Co sound, vs. JRad of the 80s, if that makes sense.
Most of the better official material is the late 80s/90s stuff, which is fine - but its worth digging for the earlier stuff if you're interested.
3. Something I've noticed is the "worse' by conventional wisdom the Dead is doing, the better Jerry is doing - the caveat is because I really like the weird 83-5 sets. But there's a kind of mirror image thing going on.
4. Jerry could really play guitar

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://relisten.net/dead-and-co/2021/09/15

heres 9/15 on Relisten

Everyone here should know about Relisten

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Isnít cassidy about jack Cassidy

Did a double take there and I asked a homie and was clued in that it was originally about a newborn girl named Cassidy and then sort of became a Jack Casady tribute.

Jack-A-Roe woulda been a nice touch too (but probably similarly confusing)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Better than good morning little schoolgirl

I was waiting for & Delilah

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

That Dark Star gets a lot of love but I thought the Caution was stronger (and the TOO > El Paso > TOO the night before blows it all out of the water). Europe 72, folks! I didn't realize this thread was listening along, I'd been planning my own for about a year now. The box set was the second thing I got into after Dick's Picks and a couple recommendations here and there (I traded a torrent of DP for my friend's rip, we sat in my office for like 2 hours for it all to transfer) and it hugely influenced the way I approached their deeper catalog.

This will hopefully come up on that podcast (I think it was in long strange trip too) but they way over-concentrated the acid for this tour, thinking it would be easier to smuggle more if it was 20x, but something went wrong and uh you can hear it. Some of the best jamming in the band's career, like the better half of 2.0 Phish at times. Barely getting through the yellow dog story. I think it sorta starts to settle as the tour goes but not completely

Kvlt! posted:

Passenger is the only Dead song I really just cannot stand. Donna only makes it worse.

Passenger kicks rear end, it and a couple others (If I Had The World To Give being the obvious one, From The Heart of Me, etc) are very clear riffs on Rumors which makes a lot of sense for the Dead post 77 pre Brent. Donna opinions aside (she has the strongest singing run in the band imo, maybe Brent), the Brent versions in 79 and 80 are also great too. First set highlight of 78-79 dead imo.

BigFactory posted:

John Kahn is dead, right? Is David Kemper alive? He stopped playing in Dylanís band 20 years ago.

Kahn and Kemper both briefly were. the idea was to just keep playing w/o Jerry but as time went on they had to do more and more swaps. Bar rock band of Theseus. (and the standard dead orbit glom ons, drama, and cash grabs we've come to know and love). He does some stuff with Zero covering similar ground too

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

theres a kick rear end reddit post I've never been able to find again that was like "you hate OMSN on tapes and then you're there and its saturday night and they do OMSN and its the best thing in the world" thats pretty much my trajectory

BigFactory posted:

One of my favorite concerts ever was Melvin and Merle at a dive bar in upstate NY playing pretty much all JGB material. So much fun.

GOD. organ devils

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Picasso Moon is the worst Grateful Dead song

It's better than a drive in movie-ooowie. (Similar to OMSN, a friend has wisely pointed out that there's two versions, normal Picasso Moon, and Picasso Moon when you're dosed, and the second one is the good one)

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, I think I mainly just donít like a lot of the classic rock n roll leaning songs they did and for some reason that one just sounds the most phoned in and corny to me. Dancing in the Streets is another one. I never skip them when they come up but Iíll turn the volume down.

Then again I love Truckin, Shakedown Street, and Touch of Grey and those seem to be among the most hated by old heads so maybe I just have poo poo taste.

Getting my head around all the Beatles Stones and Cream covers as not classic rock but contemporary (well, until they 80s when they barely sound like the original) was a big "oh poo poo" moment.

I used to have the exact reaction to Dancing, but it's one of the stronger 70s jam numbers and at some point it flipped for me. (Simon Reynolds agrees with you, fwiw)

User Error posted:

Barton Hall would have been perfect if they walked off stage after Morning Dew. Why did they have to go from that to OnE MoRe SaTuRdAY NiGHt!!

yeah and don't get me started about that bullshit ripcord at the end of 8/27/72 dark star

DrVenkman posted:

| It's the same reason they changed the arrangement of Friend Of The Devil.

I thought this was they just really liked the CSNY (maybe just Cros?) arrangement? Could see being both but the cover-of-a-cover is part of it. FOTD is an incredible song, one of the only ones from the catalog I actually wanna hear non Dead-orbit people play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I thought the Playin' was strong too (I like Donna though)

trem_two posted:

My take on 4/11/72 is that almost everything is solid but not exceptional, but then Comes A Time and Brokedown Palace both grabbed me near the end of the show. In addition to Jerry really nailing it on those two songs, Pig and Keith are complementing each other nicely.

I guess Iím always a sucker for those ďJerry does a somber song after the monster set 2 jamĒ choices, like when itís Stella Blue or Morning Dew or something.

We love a Jerry ballad in the post space slot. which is what these shows are feeling like to me even though its 72. Like the more consistent 80s pattern minus a couple parts, compared to 71 + 73, say.

It was pointed out to me that they're recording an album which explains the relative consistency in songs and the general tightness overall