Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

Recent Dead fan here. I've listened to their studio albums from Workingman's Dead to Blues For Allah and now I want to try their live stuff. I'm finding it daunting though. I know Europe '72 is recommended but I prefer the songs off Allah & Flood. Also, which Europe album do I get? The one that is a mix of the tour or one of the complete shows? Since I love the 73-75 materiel, any live show recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

Is the official Cornell '77 an upgrade from the Betty Board bootlegs in terms of quality?
Are the other May '77 shows any good?

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

I watched Long Strange Trip and it got me back into the Dead. Most of my knowledge ends after '77 so I had never heard Althea before and wow I was missing out. I was exploring the '72 shows (a big thank you to the poster who was doing deep dives into that year) and the Veneta,Oregon is amazing. I've been using headyversion.com a lot to find great versions of my favourite songs then listening to the full shows that they come from. But I'm sometimes finding it hard to listen to an entire show mostly because of how long they are and half the setlist being songs I'm not crazy for. I prefer their upbeat and engaging songs to the slow and meandering ones. Don't think this is me crapping on the band though, I'm still enjoying this long, strange trip!

Should look for the highlight albums? Is that what the Road Trips series is?

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

I wasn't too familiar with the early stuff until I started listening to the shows from 68/69. Seems like anytime they played the Fillmore it was guaranteed to be a great show. Now I'm going to get into 1989 after hearing the absolutely amazing version of Deal from 7/19/89.
What have all of you been listening to lately?