Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I've had a love-hate thing for those guys ever since they played for free at the main campground at the Texas Pop Int'l. That was 2 weeks after Woodstock, which was around this time of summer. All day from around noon to 10 or midnight or whatever, a bunch of bands would play in triple digit heat. Then everyone would break up and go camp for the night, and the Dead would play all night.
Then whenever the Grateful Dead came around, like someone mentioned the OKC Fairgrounds show in 1973, I either had something else going on, or I was like gently caress those guys, they're a garage band. Anyhow I was doing minor auto body repair stuff today, and listening to Dave's Pick 15, which was in Nashville in 1977. And it's excellent, mostly. If that hasn't been recommended already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

He was the guy who stepped in when Hunter got pissy with Bobby Weir? To have lyricists of both those guys' caliber says a mouthful. Helluva note.

Touch of Grey.

edit- oh poo poo that was Hunter and Jerry (60s deadhead joke here)

Noise Machine posted:

Estimated Prophet

Yes.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 9, 2018

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tom Yum posted:

I have a confession: despite the Dead being one of my all-time favorite bands, I've never really known what to do with pre-1970 shows. I tend to listen mostly to 70's Dead, but I enjoy some late 80's and 90's shows as well. But for some reason the late 60's stuff is really hard for me to get into. It's like an unusual wine that I haven't yet acquired a taste for.

A lot of their late 60's stuff I've heard has been interesting in a step-back-in-time kind of way, because it really does feel like walking into a weird, grungy hippie shop in 1969. It definitely has an interesting vibe, but I usually have a hard time actually enjoying it. There are some exceptions -- Dark Stars from this era are fun, and this is definitely the peak era of St. Stephen. But for me, it's hard not to listen to it and want to put on Veneta or Englishtown instead.

I think the sound of the recordings is a big thing for me. The actual playing is still mostly great, but I have a hard time getting over how it all sounds like it was recorded in a cardboard box. Part of what I love about the Dead is their ability to swallow you whole with the worlds they create, and the 60's era doesn't immerse me the way others do.

Live Dead is definitely good, but it's about the only thing from this era that I listen to, and even then it's rarely what I reach for. If you enjoy this era of the Dead (and I know a lot of people do), what is it that does it for you?

This was their true sound at first, acidy, unpolished, often tediously noodly. As they changed from that to a more outlaw sound of Live Dead, then the ultra mellow tone of American Beauty their technique could only improve.
But to a lot of folks that pure acid vibe of Aoxomoxoa and Anthem of the Sun was the Dead doing what no one else could do, going where no one else could go.
And when their style changed with albums like Mars Hotel and whatever came after a lot of fans, myself included; a lot of critics said "Eh they've lost their way, it was a nice ride," and quit paying attention for the next few decades.
I mean, gently caress, the Dead with a disco beat?
I didn't consider maybe they were lolling at disco and at all of us self-appointed original fans partly just to keep their own sanity. Because what they did for as long as they did was flat out insane.

edit- reading this back, it sounds so loving lame and gratuitous like their fan writers I hate with a passion, but hahaha, I'll leave it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BigFactory posted:

You mean all those horrible songs that drag on forever and ruin those early dead shows?

Easy to kick a guy when he's dead for something all of them collaborated in.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

An Apple A Gay posted:

new soundboard of a killer spring 82 show
eyes of the world is fire

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-04-03.142815.sbd.miller.flac2496

lovely mix. Try Road Trips Vol 4 #4 from that same time if you want a much better version.