Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yay! A Grateful Thread!

I've been making my way through '82, and I'm pretty much near the end. A pretty solid year. There were some real highlights for sure, some nights they'd still take the music to places you wouldn't expect but it was mostly by the numbers, jam wise. Speaking of Casey Jones they busted that out twice out of nowhere as encores, only one of which we have a board of as far as I know.

Also, useful website is Setlists.net - Dead shows by date, region, country, venue, song, year. drat near anything. If you're looking to see how many times they played Help-> Slipknot! -> Fire (once), or shows that opened with Alabama Getaway but also had The Other One then that's your website.

I'm just going to throw Dick's Picks 19 as the perfect first live show to listen to. It's on spotify and everything. Go wild.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey I think ACE is like one of the best "Grateful Dead" albums ever writ. I guess I'm in the minority there...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I think by 82 for example they had about four shows they'd rotate (ie: the Scarlet/Fire show, the Playing show etc), but then within those shows there were differences each time so it gave the impression of a limitless number of possibilities.

My vote would be 9/10 MSG 91. Branford Marsalis is guest on the second set and it's pretty amazing.

http://archive.org/details/gd91-09-10.sbd.sacks.511.sbeok.shnf

There are some 91 shows, with Bruce (he wasn't there all the time) that are positively amazing. The energy he could bring really seemed to stimulate Jerry.

edit: I've never cared about the mix, if there isn't enough phil that's something I can live with. But I'll be damned if nothing grinds my gears like Vince being mixed over the top of Bruce. :argh:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 13, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamnit I'm going to have to educate this thread about Bobby aren't I? :argh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HollisBrown posted:

I've never heard that show but I' really interested in "He's Gone", it's one of my favorite tunes and they didn't play it much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXLP7SDksao

:nws: due to hippy titties.

I think it's great, there really isn't a lot of good 70s footage. Apart from later when they're coked up like crazy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Jack Straw from Wichita
Cut his buddy down
Dug for him a shallow grave
And layed his body down
Half a mile from Tucson
By the morning light
One man gone and another to go
My old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women
we can share the wine...

Classic Dead, I believe once Bobby flubbed "Texas, fourth day of july" while playing in Texas on the fourth of July.

I've always liked that song, the way the can get across the dynamic of the two friends relationship and the trouble it brings which leads to Jack killing his friend. And it works as a song too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Fresh Prince posted:

Ugh, Lesh deserved to sing Box of Rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_fEzl5S0hE

That's a great doco too, gets me a bit :smith: at the montage of Jerry at the end thought.

Also, speaking of doccos there's a lot of Dead in this one including some great Jerry stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPIWGLIprZI

I always laugh at "They were a hairy, bad looking bunch of guys."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They played a few electric Deep Elum Blueses around that time, and they're so much fun.

That an "On the Road Again" were cool little songs that popped up in that era.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have some ideas I'll look up, but this always makes me :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjHH_G-4_8

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How the gently caress does Vince Welnick still have a band? And if there's a Vince Welnick band why isn't there a Jerry Garcia Band? :psyduck:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

That was a joke. But missing man formation was not a good band.

:negative:

Going for a bike ride tomorrow, think I might bust out some 77 Dead for the ride. :radcat: Haven't listened to something from May for a while, I love the music never stops from that era. So drat funky.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That Cold Rain and Snow from the Steppin' Out... box set is so good. So much bite and energy. Spoiler alert, I guess, Europe 72 was a great tour.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy the 'punch' his vocals added. Nothing like him laying down a fat "Jack Straw from Wichita" at the climax of the song.

While they're not amazing, I don't mind his Go To Heaven tracks, they're not amazing but they're not so bad. Also, he only sung them once a blue moon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When did he blow his voice out? It was pretty early on from memory. And they didn't actually play it that often before he did and it was before they had decent monitors on stage.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm pretty sure he blew his voice out in or around '73. Anything after that is not going to sound so good. Very early 70s, 72 even he still had that great upper register.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dick's Picks 29. Haven't listened to the Dead seriously for a while, but wow the sound is amazing, so crisp. All the parts laying on top of each other in just the right spaces. Can't beat a rocking Promised Land opener (my personal favorite).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There were some amazing Sunshines in this period. Really strange that they dropped it in a couple of weeks. It was played again during the '74 Winterland Rehearsal Shows but that was it until it was reborn in '92.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:tviv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvkUfy_9SmQ

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

Killer. I think that's the best version I've heard; most are pretty underwhelming.

I think I'm going to try to listen to all of Europe '72 over the next little while.

gently caress godspeed man. It's either going to be amazing or you're going to burn out like a motherfucker.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

Archive.Org has a whole buttload of legal live shows for download:

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Does anyone know of a good show around the Shakedown Street era? That's my favorite era of Dead.

How about this and this

bt.etree.org is the best place for shows, the Dead's policy is no soundboards of things they sell, and no charging money so it's not :filez:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 16, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

To translate: "these ratdog dates aren't selling well".

Who are they having to bury hatchets with?

I hope they get Haynes on guitar he's my favorite :swoon:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Grateful Dead Thread - We don't know who's Dead in this thread.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:911: 45 Years Today. :911:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

Yes indeed. It's never a bad time to revisit the Live/Dead era.

I've nearly finished my journey through Europe '72- only three more Lyceum shows to listen to. I'll probably make a semi-effort post once I'm done, since I've been taking notes anyway.

I eagerly await.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow great read! More content would really be appreciated.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://archive.org/details/gd1968-10-12.sbd.miller.86759.sbeok.flac16

Todays listening for me. I wasn't taken aback by the start, but everything from the other one onwards was :tviv:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMxHdcCL-0

I don't know if I've posted that before but that's a great documentary. :3:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes the answer is yes. It'd inspire me to do similar with a year in the 80s :pcgaming:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And I really liked 1991 with two pianos. :3:

Man I'm kinda bummed I didn't get in on that first 1990 box set.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

"I came up for "Bird Song", and after the set was over, I said, 'Thanks for letting me play, guys.' And they're like, 'No, no, stay! Play the second half of the show. We'll do "Dark Star".' That had no significance to me. I'm like, '"Dark Star"? Okay. What is it?' 'Oh, you're gonna love it. It's free, it's out.' 'Great, I can play out.' They start playing that lick, and the audience goes loving bananas. Later, I started getting these phone calls on my private number: 'Man, you were great last night. Thanks for getting them to play "Dark Star". They haven't played it in six months.'

:allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't, I think I just pulled it from some promotional stuff from Rolling Stone or something.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

I haven't heard any news about Bobby's health, but he and Phil sang The Star-Spangled Banner before game 3 of the NLCS today, so hopefully that means he's doing better.

Looking that up, turns out they have done it quite a number of times! I remember hearing a concert at the Coliseum with bob Waxing on about how great the Athletics were at the time, so they're presumably baseball fans.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.avclub.com/article/experience-horror-90-solid-minutes-grateful-dead-t-210576

:lol:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Volume 19 is still my favorite.

I think it was in contention for the first show to be released but they went with another show from that tour edited down instead.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They started off with a more Bluesy/straight up psychedelic vibe and after Workingman's Dead/American Beauty they paired their sound back and we ended up with that country sound for a few years, at least until their first 'retirement'.

Some of their early stuff was really I guess you'd say "full on" but it's still very pleasant to listen to. Just blazing/screaming guitar solos over long these blues rock songs. Although, not a huge amount of tape is in good condition from that era. There was a Dick's Picks 22 from 1968 that should be on spotify if you want to check it out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
9/27/72 was the first show I heard. :)

edit: I look forward to you getting up to '73 because there were some amazing shows that year too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODPgBaiFI4

Sweet video on the Wall of Sound.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Llyr posted:

Recent Dead fan here. I've listened to their studio albums from Workingman's Dead to Blues For Allah and now I want to try their live stuff. I'm finding it daunting though. I know Europe '72 is recommended but I prefer the songs off Allah & Flood. Also, which Europe album do I get? The one that is a mix of the tour or one of the complete shows? Since I love the 73-75 materiel, any live show recommendations?

From '73 (which includes Flood material) Dick's Picks 19 & 28

For Blues Material, anything from ~ May '77 is great, so Dick's Picks 29

In regards to Europe '72, the Album Europe '72 is a nice collection of bit and pieces so that's a good starting point.

All of which, afaik, is on Spotify so that's an easy place to start. :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hollis Brownsound posted:

That interview cemented a couple things I'd always thought:

1. Cocaine ruined The Dead

'77 was the broke and strung out on coke year, which is what makes the music being so good so incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

I'm really enjoying Deal so far. After the introduction, the co-author pretty much gets out of the way and lets Billy ramble about whatever, so reading the book is kind of like hanging out and listening to him tell stories. The phrase "a lot of acid" pops up literally dozens of times.

Let me guess the words "we never really did" are not the ones immediately preceding?