Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If anyone has Santa Clara tickets I would be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LordPants posted:

I read uhh "A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead" which was interesting and great, but as said it's like 1/3rd of a definitive work.

But it does shed more light on "Jerry Garcia as a broken human being" and how dysfunctional the band was administratively.

This is a fun read.

The Garcia biography is really interesting but it's more about him than the band.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I was reading the Rolling Stone article about Pigpen's death and in it they talked about a tape they found at his apartment, featuring a bunch of songs he recorded solo before his death. Does anyone know if this tape ever became available to the public and if so where I could listen to it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

It's a super common bootleg and not that good.

You're right, I probably should have looked a bit harder because I found it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I really wish Dead and Co fix the bass mixing (or Oteil fixes his tone). I don't want or expect Oteil to be Phil but I'd love to actually HEAR what Oteil does at the shows.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

60s stuff had way too much pigpen.

I have finally found proof that objectively terrible opinions exist

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I heard the author had personal beef with phil which is why hes slandered so much in the book

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How are you guys forgetting that 88-90 with Brent is one of the best years of the Dead! One of my personal fav eras. Check out "So Glad You Could Make It: Spring 1990"

Edit: Someone above has me beat, those are choice late 80s cuts!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I'll admit to being less than thrilled when the Dark Star bassline starts up during a show. I'll take an exploratory Playing in the Band over Dark Star any day of the week.

lock this poster up for the good of society and subject them to donnas cauterwailing for eternity!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

those tapes Pig recorded in his apartment before he died are absolutely haunting

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

https://youtu.be/SeS0h0HbRqY

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Literally my friends and I had an IDENTICAL experience except none of us ended up with tix :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I hope Johnny Checkers brings the Dumble on this tour so I can point at it and go "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT THING COSTS" to people again

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Heroin hit the band hard in the late 80s/early 90s too. Brent died of a speedball OD in 1990 and Jerry died in a rehab facility 5 years later.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If what youre getting at is "Did the smack make them better jammers" no, it was the opposite.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Touring was a big part of what killed Jerry too imo. The band had such a massive crew, a lot of which were personal friends and family of the band, that stopping touring meant a lot of people werent going to be able to put food on the table. I think if they had been able to slow down or just take more breaks Jerry would have been able to get healthier and get the rest and help he needed.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Phil "Slamming Heinekens onstage after his liver transplant" Lesh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oteil singing If I Had The World To Give is a real treat, I love that song and I adore Oteil's vocals

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Why were only the Florida shows cancelled?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Interesting. Wonder if there was a problem with the tour bus company or the road crew or something?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sounds fun, Im in!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Noise Machine posted:

Free Wolf Bros w/ The Wolfpack (strings and horns) for FREE tonight - 7 PM ET

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1507098574659719176?s=20&t=idPWirBpkm3fH0l4GXGOTg

Are these available to watch after? I'd love to see it but can't watch it live

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hoping this is like when everyone thought FTW was the end and Dead and Co was announced. Except now its Dead and Co equivalent with Billy Strings instead of Mayer (and I love Johnny Checkers, no hate)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Passenger is the only Dead song I really just cannot stand. Donna only makes it worse.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

It’s not a good one but in its favor there are bad songs that they played way more often

Oh we're definitely in agreement there. For me personally though, even the shittier songs can have a tasty jam or lick or some sort of redeeming quality. Passenger is the only one I just truly hate (or at least in my 24 years of listening to the Dead, I have yet to find a version I like)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah I think touring as "JGB" is in poor taste but Melvin Seals is great and John K is pretty good too. Def worth checking out if tix are reasonable prices.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Phil didn’t like singing for a long time

and it was fine with everyone!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I wish there were more Built To Lasts. That song is awesome.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Casey Jones is a song I love but one that gets pretty similar when they do it live. The only real standout for me is a later one where Jerry flubs the vocal and it leads to some great Keith playing. It was always popular, which is why they'd go back to it, but I never got the sense they enjoyed playing it all that much because there wasn't much to do with it.

One song I forget we won't hear much more of is Chinatown Shuffle. I think it debuts at the end of 71 and when Pigpen has to quit in about 6 weeks time that's the end of it.

There's a great Dead and Co show where they speed up CJ to cocaine speeds at the end and it was a blast. I was in the crowd. I think it was the Fenway 2016 show, first night.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

edit: I thought this was the Phish thread lmao my bad

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

lotta people itt who have never woken to the sound of streetcats makin love

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RE bobby chat:

I thought the thread would like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLV-73VF6Tg

Bobby was having some trouble with his rig at the time, which resulted in us ending up with a recording of his isolated guitar track during the show. Really showcases his unique rhythym playing, and it's a blast to guess each song based on his guitar alone while you listen.

His tone has always kinda had that icepick-treble, but I've noticed it's definitely gotten worse over the years. I assume this is hearing loss and he cranks up the treble to concentrate, but especially when you see him live nowadays it has been a little ear-piercing. I love it though, it's uniquely and distinctively Bobby

It's also fun to show this to your newer or casual Deadhead friends and they go "wait...BOBBY plays that first lead lick on China cat???"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I listened to a sbd tape the other day that had great stereo separation and it really made it obvious how much he did. Jerry was very quiet between solos on a lot of tunes.

Definitely! In fact watching vids I noticed Jerry plays basic a lot of basic cowboy chord shapes when he's on rhthym. Really emphasizes how much Bobby's rhthym brought to the table

Bobby's rhythym:Grateful Dead::Jerry's leads:Grateful Dead

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I am SHOCKED a man born in 1942 doesnt like rap music

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think it's most bc Billy just wants to chill and smoke pot instead of tour which at his age is certainly reasonable

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Went to the Meet up with the Dead film last night, 130 minutes of the second Tivoli Concert synced with the remixed audio.

Yeah I'd seen it before, but goddamn if it still didn't bring tremendous joy. Especially just watching the band interactions on stage and seeing them build up stream in trucking. Great stuff.

Aw man I didn't know they did this again. Was always a good time seeing some poor bewildered theater employee face a theaterful of wooks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

trem_two posted:

I love archive dot org show comments so much

LMAO thats great post more good ones if u find em! i always love the little anectdotes from onstage/backstage during shows

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Well I think that's because he has to stay sober to gamble away his money

E: but the sober deadhead group is called the Wharf Rats. You might have seen them at shows. Yellow balloons. "Friends of August W" bumper stickers

Phish has a similar group called the Phellowship, and Twiddle has one called White Light Foundation (which is also a charity). iirc they all use yellow balloons at shows. Wicked cool groups!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you save so much money not buying $15 beers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has anyone ever dubbed a Grateful Dead song/show/album? I'm aware there are some dub/reggae inspired Dead cover bands but I'm talking someone who actually took the Dead's music and dubbed it

Looking for Dead/Phish first and foremost but feel free to recommend any tasty jam band stuff that has been dubbed