Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES
AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES

If anyone has Santa Clara tickets I would be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

LordPants posted:

I read uhh "A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead" which was interesting and great, but as said it's like 1/3rd of a definitive work.

But it does shed more light on "Jerry Garcia as a broken human being" and how dysfunctional the band was administratively.

This is a fun read.

The Garcia biography is really interesting but it's more about him than the band.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I was reading the Rolling Stone article about Pigpen's death and in it they talked about a tape they found at his apartment, featuring a bunch of songs he recorded solo before his death. Does anyone know if this tape ever became available to the public and if so where I could listen to it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

BigFactory posted:

It's a super common bootleg and not that good.

You're right, I probably should have looked a bit harder because I found it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I really wish Dead and Co fix the bass mixing (or Oteil fixes his tone). I don't want or expect Oteil to be Phil but I'd love to actually HEAR what Oteil does at the shows.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

BigFactory posted:

60s stuff had way too much pigpen.

I have finally found proof that objectively terrible opinions exist

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I heard the author had personal beef with phil which is why hes slandered so much in the book

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

How are you guys forgetting that 88-90 with Brent is one of the best years of the Dead! One of my personal fav eras. Check out "So Glad You Could Make It: Spring 1990"

Edit: Someone above has me beat, those are choice late 80s cuts!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I'll admit to being less than thrilled when the Dark Star bassline starts up during a show. I'll take an exploratory Playing in the Band over Dark Star any day of the week.

lock this poster up for the good of society and subject them to donnas cauterwailing for eternity!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

those tapes Pig recorded in his apartment before he died are absolutely haunting

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

https://youtu.be/SeS0h0HbRqY

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Literally my friends and I had an IDENTICAL experience except none of us ended up with tix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I hope Johnny Checkers brings the Dumble on this tour so I can point at it and go "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT THING COSTS" to people again