Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
So I watched You Can't Take it With You and, apart from the anecdotes about Bob Weir's hand in the spreading of the ashes being bizarre and hilarious, I cannot think of a pettier, less appropriate retrospective of such a legendary man

It's somehow a source of comfort to think that even under the duress of the road (or perhaps because of?) Jerry remained optimistic enough to have any faith in that horrible oval office of a woman and the Grateful Dead camp somehow honor the terms of his will, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Billy the Mountain posted:

Could you elaborate? I haven't yet seen that...

Before Garcia died he made a bunch of verbal agreements with various members of his family and left instructions in his will and the Grateful Dead camp plus Garcia's newly wed/widowed wife came off as excessively grasping and anti-, well, Dead. More detailed examples include a private divorce settlement that was immediately voided (by Koons) upon Garcia's death, a ridiculous legal battle over whether or not Jerry actually owned his guitars, and various members of Garcia's family getting stiffed while running the "Garcia Estate" into the ground with inane marketing ploys and licensing deals. She also spends a portion of the documentary gloating over her successful renegotiation of whatever royalty Garcia was receiving from Ben & Jerry's.

The highlight of the documentary was that Bob Weir dreamed that Jerry wanted his ashes spread in the Ganges despite Garcia's never having been to India and also his express wishes detailing that his ashes to be spread in the Bay (the majority were). At this ceremony, Deborah Koons and (potentially) Bob Weir thought it would be best to exclude his former wife and children, to the point where they blocked them from entering the boat from which the ashes were to be spread.

Also 68-72 Dead is the best version.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 16, 2015

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I was sitting in the back of an old beater getting stoned wondering why all the radio stations were suddenly playing Dead songs.

That was ethereal Jerry punching through the void, extending you a psychedelic thumbs up.