Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's a good album all around. Spirit and Sage isn't much of a song and the title track doesn't really go anywhere, but King Solomon's Marbles is great, and Music Never Stopped is about as good a Bobby song as you'd want to listen to. Yeah, there's only one Bobby song, right? That's gotta put it in top-5 status alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like Black Throated Wind, but there are a lot of bad Bobby songs.

We can link to archive.org, right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well, ok, then the best Scarlet Fire ever is 10-1-94, believe it or not. Great show start to finish, Jerry was even singing ok, and for some reason in the 90's they figured out how to segue between songs just perfectly. There's a point in the middle of that scarlet fire where you just kinda realize they stopped playing one song and started the other but you can't tell when they did it. Pretty cool, and you know they weren't really practicing together anymore (who knows who was even talking to who at that point), so it's pretty impressive.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Early 80's dead is the best dead.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Roark posted:

Early 70's Dead would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

They just had such a bigger catalog in the early 80's. How could a show with the possibility of an Althea not be better than a show without it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Roark posted:

Because there's no Pigpen. :colbert:

Seriously, though, I'm a big fan of most of the Dead eras, except for the periods in the later 80s and in the 90s where Jerry was in really rough shape/strung out. Some of the stuff from like 94/95 is really painful to listen to, with his guitar work all over the place and mumbling lyrics.

On that note, on August 9th it was 18 years since he died.

Pigpen was the 2nd best keys player in the dead. Hornsby was the best. Keith would be 2nd but he brought Donna along.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
After 67 or 68 the dead had pretty well structured shows. I don't think they were really as creative with sets as people give them credit for and that's probably a good thing.

To add a little content, a lot of people consider 5-8-77 @ Cornell University, Ithaca NY to be the best dead show for whatever reason. It's a pretty good show, anyways, so that might be as good a place as any to start. http://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-08.aud.moore.berger.28354.flac16

Set 1

New Minglewood Blues, Loser, El Paso, They Love Each Other, Jack Straw, Deal, Lazy Lightnin' -> Supplication, Brown Eyed Women, Mama Tried, Row Jimmy, Dancing In The Street

Set 2

Scarlet Begonias -> Fire On The Mountain, Estimated Prophet, Saint Stephen -> Not Fade Away -> Saint Stephen -> Morning Dew

Encore
One More Saturday Night

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 12, 2013

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LordPants posted:

Yeah, I think by 82 for example they had about four shows they'd rotate (ie: the Scarlet/Fire show, the Playing show etc), but then within those shows there were differences each time so it gave the impression of a limitless number of possibilities.

My vote would be 9/10 MSG 91. Branford Marsalis is guest on the second set and it's pretty amazing.

http://archive.org/details/gd91-09-10.sbd.sacks.511.sbeok.shnf

There are some 91 shows, with Bruce (he wasn't there all the time) that are positively amazing. The energy he could bring really seemed to stimulate Jerry.

edit: I've never cared about the mix, if there isn't enough phil that's something I can live with. But I'll be damned if nothing grinds my gears like Vince being mixed over the top of Bruce. :argh:

The best are those 70 s soundboards that are all Phil and zero bobby. They both make you realize how much Phil's doing when he's on, and how little they gave a poo poo about bobby if he wasn't singing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LordPants posted:

Goddamnit I'm going to have to educate this thread about Bobby aren't I? :argh:

Your lesson better include pictures if him in 1986 wearing short shorts if anyone's going to take it seriously.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Furthur's actually pretty good, especially if you like hearing Grateful Dead songs played really, really slowly.

My only other criticism is that they tend to jam out every song, even songs the Dead used to play pretty straight, and while I get that they're not trying to be a cover band, jamming isn't what they do best. But it's still a fun night out. Beats Ratdog.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

What doesn't?

Vince Welnick's Missing Man Formation? They sound really bad these days.

I've been to some fun Ratdog shows, but in hindsight, I've had just as much fun seeing a good bar band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LordPants posted:

How the gently caress does Vince Welnick still have a band? And if there's a Vince Welnick band why isn't there a Jerry Garcia Band? :psyduck:

That was a joke. But missing man formation was not a good band.

HollisBrown posted:

Honestly this is my biggest criticism of pretty much all the Dead spinoffs and "Jam Bands" in general. The Grateful Dead weren't a jam band, they were a rock band that could "jam". The biggest difference is that they jammed on good songs, they didn't write songs to be a vehicle for jamming, like Moe. I might argue that Phish is less "jammy" but let's face it, Phish songs are loving dumb (this coming from a huge high school Phish fan). They have about 5 good songs and about 100 dumb as gently caress circus sounding songs.

Good Phish Songs:
1. Fast Enough For You
2. Bouncing around the Room
3. Billy Breathes
4. Roggae

Every single other song has such dumb lyrics that it completely distracts me from the musical performance aspect.

Moe songs I remember the name of:
?

The Grateful Dead started with writing good songs that people can connect with, then started jamming them out. Not writing songs over 15 minute jams.

edit: Sorry I just loving hate Jam Bands

Phish is better prog rock band than a jam band. Jam bands are pretty stupid. Billy Breathes is a good song, though, and is neither prog rock nor jam band stuff.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 24, 2013

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

Yeah it's easy to hear a bad late 80s-90s Dead Show and get turned off to the whole period, which sadly did happen to me for awhile.

I like late 80s / early 90s shows cause you get to hear Phil sing Broken Arrow every once in a while.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

Yeah but his songs were terrible.

Just a little light's not bad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Roark posted:

It's not bad, but it's not great. I appreciate his musicianship, but most of his songs are in the mediocre/unmemorable range.

Yeah they all stink but that's the best of the worst. Tons of Steel might be the worst song in thier catalog. His covers kinda rule though. I'm thinking of a Dear Mr Fantasy maybe on without a net? that's really good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hasn't Trey famously been clean for several years now?

And I think if you take away the bluegrass stuff, Phish is a lot closer sounding to Yes than to the Dead. Trey steals from Steve Howe way more than he steals from Jerry.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's a pretty good setlist. Was Phil drinking a Heineken when he asked you to give him another liver?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, I can't think of any amazing live Box of Rains that stand out. They didn't play it that much. I have a friend who saw the first Unbroken Chain down in Miami in '92 or something (speaking of Phil songs). He said people freaked out once they figured out what it was. I think he saw like 3 of the 4 times they played that song.

Edit: It was in Philly and it was 95.

http://www.setlists.net/?show_id=2310 The comments about the show here are hilarious. Was there. UC was great, but made me remember why I didn't mind that Phil didn't sing very much.

I'm going to edit this again, cause this is pretty cool: http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/60257224. It's a graph of every time every song was played. Box of Rain was played 168 times, which is more than I would have guessed (vs. like 500 Truckin's), it's just that it was mostly played from 1986-on. That's why it feels like they almost never played it to me, I guess. Once in '70, a few times in '72, then they brought it back in '86.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 25, 2013

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
To translate: "these ratdog dates aren't selling well".

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LordPants posted:

Who are they having to bury hatchets with?
Keith? Mickey? Seems like Bobby, Phil and Billy get along well enough. I wonder if any of them talk to Keith.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I'd get on the bus for a reunion.

I hope I get to see Mystery Box again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

They probably bring out the Ouija board from time to time.

Keith's not dead is he? poo poo, I guess he is. I though he just quit.

Donna's still kickin'.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 3, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is Bruce Hornsby the only surviving keyboard player to have played in the Dead? Pigpen's dead, Keith's dead, Tom Constanten's dead, Brent's dead, Vince's dead, I think Owsley even played organ for a little while, right? Not that he died young.

I thought forever that Keith was still alive. I feel really dumb.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

I think TC is still alive.

poo poo, I just suck then.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

I got really frustrated with the difficulty in finding a specific dated show in Spotify, so I made this playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/7IiR8OB6QHGFav5FjTYYiu

If you open it up in the desktop app, you can just ctrl+f a certain date and listen to that show, provided it has received an official release and is on Spotify. For example, I'm listening to 4/14/72 right now.

The playlist is obviously tailored to my specific tastes, so it's almost all full shows (with a few exceptions) and there's no shows fromt the 80s or 90s. Just 68 - 79. Now that I look at it, this is pretty much every Dead show on Spotify in that range, so listen away and get groovy.

If anyone knows any particularly good shows from after the 70s, let me know and I'll add them.

Just off the top of my head I'm going to throw out 9-17-82:

Set 1
Bertha > Promised Land, Candyman > CC Rider, Althea, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Dupree's > It's All Over Now, West LA Fadeaway, Throwing Stones > Deal

Set 2
Touch of Grey > Women Are Smarter, High Time, Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > Drums > Space > Spanish Jam > The Other One> GDTRFB > Morning Dew > Sugar Magnolia

Encore
US Blues

It's the first Throwing Stones and Bobby has no idea how to end it. It just goes on, and on, and on. The rest of the show is solid though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

There was a teaser before the movie for the new Spring 1990 box set and that looks really great. In general I've really softened on my "No Dead past 1979 is worthwhile stance." There is some great stuff in 80 & 85, and 1990 is awesome other than Jerry's voice deteriorating.

I've said it before in this thread, but listen to the Scarlet Fire that opened up the second set on 10/1/94: https://archive.org/details/gd94-10-01.sbd.gorinsky.4671.sbeok.shnf. loving masterful.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Don't forget the Lithuanian Olympic basketball team!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's pretty rad as far as reunions go. Hopefully Kimock can make it to the stage.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And when was the last time Billy and Micky played with them? Billy did some Phil and friends stuff a decade ago, and were all 4 together as The Dead in like 2000? Throw in Hornsby, Kimock and John K and this is pretty cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

Correct if I'm wrong but I thought Bobby was the first member to get clean, and has been clean for quite a long time.

Yeah. I think he's just loving old.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone else trying for mail order tickets?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I don't quite understand how this works. You decorate a lucky envelope and stuff in a money order? Can you request for all 3 days?

It's a pretty standard mail order and they tell you exactly what to do. Mail them money orders and a sase and they send you tickets if you get picked. If not they mail you back your money order. You don't have to decorate the envelope. And you can request whatever you want, but Saturday night is going to be popular.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I stopped really keeping up with dicks picks in the 90s but 8 is sick.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

goodness posted:

See y'all on the 4th!

Did you get tickets already?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

goodness posted:

I wish! Got a big group all buying multiples so I don't think we should have a problem getting in and gifting any extras.

I'm in the same boat.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thanos, breaker of tables and quintessential deadhead. Is that your envelope art or something groovier?

I think it's just a page from a comic book.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

I thought that was sheet of acid first, which didn't really seem that goony at all, but you're right, it is goony.

I don't even get it. Homeboy just posted a photo of a panel from infinity gauntlet or something?

In other news, my mail order request got denied. Cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

goodness posted:

Anyone know how much the tickets will be when they go on sale online?

It's all on the website. There are a bunch of price points. I think 65 is the cheapest.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Pigpen wasn't the most musically accomplished member of the Dead

You don't say...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
John K was the best part of furthur and Bobby was basically the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yup. So are a lot of pigpen songs, Donna songs, and Brent songs.