Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Greatest story ever told/ picssso moon TIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are some good songs from that era like Viola Lee and cream puff war, but on the whole they kinda sucked back then

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
60s stuff had way too much pigpen.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pigpen blows.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Is this Opposite Day? Pigpen rules on songs like Turn on Your Love Light, Alligator and Mr. Charlie

You mean all those horrible songs that drag on forever and ruin those early dead shows?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Vince welnick was better.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

I heard the author had personal beef with phil which is why hes slandered so much in the book

Well, this is the guy who was slamming Heinekens on stage every night with his brand new liver and begging everyone in the crowd to donate their organs. He’s kind of a piece of poo poo

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He died as he lived: very fat.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Radio Spiricom posted:

late convert here -- just started listening to the dead the other day on a whim and for the past 3 days they've been all i've been listening to. i guess it was bound to happen that it's finally clicking in a way it didn't when my friends in hs tried selling me on em (was always more into punk/hardcore/post-punk) but really how could i possibly dislike a band that tried titling an album skullfuck?

so far i've listened to:

27/08/1972 (veneta or)
europe 72
live/dead
skull & roses
dicks picks vol 1
road trips vol. 2.2 (valentines day 1968)
28/02/1969 and 01/03/1969 (fillmore west)

the dark star > st stephen > the eleven on a bunch of these is some of the best music i've heard in months...

anyway i guess i'm just looking at where to go next? the weirder darker louder and more out there the better, my interest in them mostly comes from my interest in improvised music (jazz/fusion, noise, eai, dj sets) and the psych/krautrock bands that took after them (amon düül, agitation free, hawkwind, bardo pond, etc)

If you really want to dive in with both feet I’d say you’re ready for Mickey Hart’s Mystery Box next.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Radio Spiricom posted:

ty both

i suppose i should give grayfolded a listen at some point too?

in the meantime i have been listening to as many 68/69 sets as i can get my hands on

If you really think you’re ready, I think live mystery box is the way to get into it. The studio album is good but not quite the same. You should start here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01h-9W0wQXw

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mummy Napkin posted:

Anyone going to any of the Bob and Wolf Bros shows? I might go see them when they're in Cincy. It'll be my first Dead related show.

I saw a couple of videos of their nye show. It was almost unlistenable. It’s like they couldn’t hear each other. Maybe the monitors weren’t working.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You’d assume that’s it’s Billy who’s responsible for having to do all the songs half speed, but it might just be Bobby. His stuff with the wolf boys or whoever they are is slow as poo poo too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BallerBallerDillz posted:

E: if you have a favorite Box Of Rain - I'd love to listen to it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=--podlMpJP0

Man, Phil sounds trashed on this one. This is probably many people’s favorite Grateful Dead song, period.

And RIP Robert Hunter. He was a very talented guy that probably didn’t get the recognition he deserved as a songwriter because he was associated with a dumb musical thing for a lot of his career. But he wrote some really great lyrics.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 25, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I saw Merle and Melvin play a show together in basically a bar one night 20 something years ago and it was one of the best shows I can remember. Both really talented dudes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

User Error posted:

I just scored tickets to see Bob Weir and Wolf Bros in March. Have any of you guys seen them?

I watched their new year’s show on YouTube. I think one of them was drunk. Someone was playing something different from the rest of the band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

User Error posted:

Ha, not great. Oh well. I've never actually seen any of the remaining members perform and Bobby ain't getting any younger.

I’m going to see Dylan next week for the same reason. He hasnt really been worth seeing in at least 10 years, but he’ll be dead one of these days and I’ll be sad I missed a chance to see him when it was easy to go.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

The Cornell 5/8/77 show in particular is probably the most hyped single show, and it's an undeniably great show. i feel like scarlet begonias -> fire on the mountain is a great encapsulation of what the band was capable of here

I listened to that again recently and it is pretty good but there’s this one part in the encore where they do that sick st. Stephen and then a completely dull and long NFA and right at the end of it Phil takes the worst bass solo I’ve ever heard. It make me laugh out loud. Worth listening to the show just for that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think Brent started the 80s off strong but at some point someone told him it was ok to go full jingle bells with his keyboard patches and it just ruins songs for me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Brent's playing is good but I hate his voice and casio tones soooooo much it's basically insurmountable for me

Brent songs are amongst the very worst of all Grateful Dead songs. Even worse than Vince songs (which were actually pretty good).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sweet_jones posted:

Wait, what?

I get that Brent isn't for everyone and I dont gravitate past 78 often myself but what Vince songs are you into?

Long way to go home is good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
‘99 Phil and friends shows were kinda fun. I saw a few of them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

Do the Dead have any super spacey mellow songs? I'm thinking something like this, which is tangential to the Dead, but I would like more and it seems like they would have been great at this style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ZF1mK3-rA

In short bursts they have stuff that sounds like lots of different parts of that song but not a dedicated song other than Space and who knows what you’re getting with Space. It was usually boring.

It’s been decades since I’ve listened to it, but check out Infrared Roses. Might be something there you like.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

Thanks - my exposure to Phish is very limited but I like this sort of ambient jamming.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0POXCJ9eDs
That’s more spacey than ambient but still kinda cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

algebra testes posted:

Double posting to say, i'm extremely back on my bullshit wrt Phish but the Phish Thread archived. :(

Make a new one. There will be shows this year

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Not sure there is a huge amount of overlap between this thread I've been silently lurking in and the vinyl thread but here goes anyway. The Paris 5/3/72 show is getting a Record Store Day release.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13626

I went deep into live Dead during 2020 thanks to work from home and this thread, but haven't heard this set yet. Is it solid?

I haven’t heard it either but that was pretty much their peak. Even an off night is going to be good. I have one of the other nights in Paris and it’s killer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

those tapes Pig recorded in his apartment before he died are absolutely haunting

Yeah that stuff was ok

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Scalper tickets for the pit in Mansfield are almost $900 before tax and service charge. Who a) has the money to pay that much for a ticket and b) would want to be in the pit for Dead & co?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Couldn’t they just do a Rat Dog tour instead? Those were easy tickets to get. What’s Rob Wasserman up to?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

I've been on the New Year's Eve Winterland show, working up the steam to explore the 80's live sets.

Morbidly curious: What eras find Garcia at his most heavy into the hard drugs?

If you’re talking about heroin it was pretty much all of the 80s and part of the 90s except for periods where he got clean.

And I’m sure he was doing tons of blow all through the 70s.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 21, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Do you notice a difference in their playing and jammy quality when the band were deep into the H compared to say, the Veneta show? I haven't gone past that '79 Winterland show ... yet.

They were pretty fuckin up tempo in 76/77/78. I suspect the dressing rooms looked the Christmas display in a department store window.

But as far as Jerry’s playing went, I think he was pretty boring in the late 80s. He got in a nice groove with Brent sometimes but a lot of it sounds paint by numbers to me. I’m sure the shows were a blast to go to but the music wasn’t that inspired. I think I even prefer some 90s runs when Jerry’s voice was shot. He seemed to be more engaged.

I think I’ve said it before, but listen to the scarlet fire from 10/01/94 that opened up the 2nd set. It’s the best transition between the songs I’ve ever heard, better than anything they did in the 70s. They were locked in. I think he was clean in 94 and relapsed in 95.

https://archive.org/details/gd94-10-01.pmb.pujol.15079.sbeok.shnf

Listening to it again, the scarlet fire transition is great, but the transition from slipknot into franklins sucks just like it always does. How come they always botch that? The studio version is perfect and every time they played it live that I’ve heard it’s awkward. Even on one from the vault they eat it on the transition.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 21, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The Grateful Dead were really good. It’s too bad Jerry couldn’t get clean and stay clean. They could still be touring. At the time it seemed like they had been touring forever, but looking back now it was kind of a short run. Phish has already passed them and they’ll keep playing for years. Springsteen did it longer and he’s probably not done. Plenty of bands who do big touring schedules like they did have passed them or will soon. Like dumb jam bands like String Cheese and Moe have been around for over 20 years. They’ll outlast the Dead. I don’t even want to jinx it but Dylan’s been touring for just about 60 years and he was doing over 100 dates a year not that long ago.

Edit- saying it’s “too bad “Jerry couldn’t get clean is stupid, it’s tragic he couldn’t get clean. He was wonderful.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 21, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

My counterfactual fantasy would be Jerry getting clean but pivoting away from the Dead and just playing smaller acoustic/bluegrass shows into old age. Jerry dying is a tragedy for sure, but not because it robbed of us another 20 years of Dead shows IMO

I had more fun at DGQ shows than just about any concerts I can think of. He could have joined.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I don't think the dead would have kept touring much longer even if Jerry had lived. Tour was going off the rails. They couldn't contain all the people that were showing up without a ticket after they were already selling out the biggest venues in the city, not to mention the municipal hurdles a tour that size needed to jump. My guess is things would be pretty much the same as they are now except jgb stayed on tour and they wouldn't have needed trey for fare thee well
There could have been options if they wanted to keep it going. One would be to scale down tours and schedule it so it’s harder for people to stay on tour if it got too unmanageable. Some of those tours when they called themselves Furthur or The Dead were like that with big gaps and major travel between dates. Or they could have just done a summer stadium tour where they’re not doing 4 night stands downtown in a city, and end the tour with a festival like Highgate. The money was there, someone would figure it out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Phil "Slamming Heinekens onstage after his liver transplant" Lesh

Every night on that 1999 tour with Dylan. Cracked open a cold one right after his organ donor rap.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JamesKPolk posted:

https://relisten.net/dead-and-co/2021/09/15

heres 9/15 on Relisten

Everyone here should know about Relisten

This is great!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wonder if Phil gave his donor rap to the kids

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Septic Knothead posted:

I saw Phil & Friends at the Capitol Theater this week. I found it far more satisfying than the DeadCo shows I saw in August. If you need to scratch that itch, go see Phil!

Who’s in Phil’s band?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Septic Knothead posted:

Warren Haynes, John Molo, Rob Barraco, JImmy Herring

That’s a good band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

It's a small but nice touch, but the Dead & Co show in Texas was themed around women. From the first set:

Man Smart, Woman Smarter
Bertha
Queen Jane Approximately
Brown Eyed Women
Peggy-O
Cassidy
Sugaree

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1444392724560498689?t=Ils-Snkn1OYFLP_y8N99BQ&s=19

Isn’t cassidy about jack Cassidy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JamesKPolk posted:

Did a double take there and I asked a homie and was clued in that it was originally about a newborn girl named Cassidy and then sort of became a Jack Casady tribute.

Jack-A-Roe woulda been a nice touch too (but probably similarly confusing)

Better than good morning little schoolgirl