Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I've been waiting for this thread... I've recently started listening to the Grateful Dead, since I have long hours at work and I figured it would be a good way to submerge myself in some shows. It's turned into a much more daunting and interesting task than I originally thought.

I started off with VoodooNola's videos on Youtube - he posts full concert videos from all eras of the Dead, in great quality. Following that I realized that the archive.org recordings play on mobile just fine, and I also was granted access to a huge streaming website full of full shows. It's been one hell of a trip from there.

I'm one of those new-wave of fans that digs all the eras of the dead relatively equally. I haven't touched much of the early to mid 80's or almost anything from the 90's (beyond 7-9-1995), I've consistently enjoyed everything. I'm in the minority that I really don't like the Dead without Mickey, however. I feel like the weird polyrhythmic drumming is a signature of the Dead to me, despite how weird Mickey likes to be on his drums. I can't believe nobody ever turned around and told him that floor toms cannot double as snares, no matter how hard he tries.

My absolute favorite thing about this band is that, well, their discography feels infinite. I'm a big fan of the 60's-70's Classic/Psychedelic rock sound in general, and I really feel like the Grateful Dead are the pinnacle of this sound. I love how unpredictable they are, as well. Check out the China Cat -> I know you Rider from Dicks Picks 12... After an ethereal little tuning jam, Bobby starts into china cat, Bill comes in with percussion, and then Phil and Jerry are having none of that and launch into a two to three minute jam. You can almost sense Bobby getting frustrated as he finally forces everyone into China Cat around the 4 minute mark. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thinking of going to see Furthur in LA next month but I'm having sticker shock on the $60 tickets. I'm a fan of the dead (listen to stuff from the archives, go frequently to local cover/tribute bands) so I feel like its probably worth it, but the price combined with the fact that its assigned seating (used to dancing it up at GA tribute shows) makes me hesitate. Anybody with experience seeing Furthur or with knowledge of the venue have thoughts on what I should expect?

I just saw Furthur for two nights in Berkeley. It was my first experience seeing any Jam band, beyond seeing Dark Star Orchestra a couple of months back. I'm a pretty easy-going Dead fan; I'll listen to almost anything but the late 90's, I think all members of the band contributed something awesome to the sound, and hell, I even like Donna a lot of the time. So, I guess I have very low standards.

It was one of the best musical experiences I've had in my life. It's really a totally different experience when you have a few musicians on stage who are actively looking to create something, rather than just playing a setlist out the same way they've done hundreds of other times like other bands. Listening to recordings off of the archive is one thing, but watching the interplay between the musicians brings it to a whole new level. It's hard to visualize when you listen to the recording, and watching a youtube video can only do so much... watching all of the folks in Further communicate through music was astounding.

I say it is worth it, unless you hate fun or something. The only downside I found from the shows is what someone said earlier... they really do jam out every single song. It was a bit tiring sometimes... and drat, they did some long jams. I don't think they stopped a single time during the last set on Sunday evening... Uncle Johns Band into St. Stephen had me ridiculously excited. I was so happy to get to hear St. Stephen live...

OniKun fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 25, 2015

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I really wish Europe '72 wasn't rife with overdubs. It makes it weird to listen to.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I really want to make those Chicago shows, but I just can't see myself managing to afford flights, hotel, plus tickets. I also bet that they are going to sell out really, really, really fast.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Other One (Netflix Documentary) was great, but I had some problems with it.

Obviously, like Phil's book, the history has been a tad whitewashed for the sake of his family and kids. I mean, they still go in to how Bobby was basically the only attractive guy in the band and got laid constantly, but they skip over him getting kicked out of the band for a period of time, and other things.

Somehow they managed to interview Phil, Mickey, and Billy, but only get a few usable lines out of them. I really have a hard time believing that all Phil has to say is "He had killer weed!" and I don't understand why we had to listen to Peter Coyote wax nostalgic about the 60's, nor do I get why we had so much Sammy Hagar. Even Mike Gordon of Phish only gets less than ten seconds - but Sammy Hagar is on screen for a ton of time?

Bobby implies that the hero worship of Garcia was partially what lead Jerry to heavy Heroin use, and then the documentary spends 30 minutes covering the end of Jerry's life. I thought this whole section was pretty fluffy and useless, and I would have way rather have heard Bobby talk about something, or even maybe have one of his long-term bandmates say more than how good Bobby's weed was.

I did really appreciate how the documentary went into detail about his rhythm work, though. I hear way too many people insulting Bobby's guitar playing during shows, people without any musical background or understanding. He's an insanely talented rhythm player who, like Sammy Hagar said, seems to know every possible inversion of every drat chord in existence. He had an impeccable sense of timing, too.

It's a drat fine documentary, all things considered. I really enjoyed it, and that psychedelic cartoon for The Other One (the song) was great.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Anyone looking for tickets to the Santa Clara shows? Thanks to unrelaible friends who back out after transactions are finished, I'm now stuck with an extra seat in 211 (full view stage) on Saturday, and two obstructed on Sunday (section 418). Face was $230 for the Saturday ticket, and $80 for a Sunday ticket. I'll let them go for whatever at this point, I just need to make something back here.

Don't buy tickets for friends who will claim to pay you back later - that's the lesson I'm learning!

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

goodness posted:

Yes I would love them. Pming you my phone number!

Actually I can't pm you, so just email me

Hey, about to send you an email. My initials are GR, and my email is my full name. Go ahead and edit your email out of your post if you want now!

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Had an amazing time these past two nights. Haters can gently caress off, this isn't 1973, Jerry is long dead, the band isn't dosed to the gills, and it's never gonna be the same.

To be frank, the arena was on fire these past two nights. There was nearly nothing but positivity radiating from every person, and that rainbow at the end of Viola Lee on night one was transcendent.

I wish I had more to say, but at this point, I'm just happy to have been given the chance to experience a little bit of the band that I've really fallen in love with over the past few years. I'll see ya'll on the Stream.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

DeadCo was loving magical for all of us who were never around to see Jerry. Saw them three times and loved each time. I'm legitimately surprised at how good Johnny Checkers was at playing the Dead. If Bobby would unfuck his laser-beam-tone, and if they'd increase the tempo just a bit, it would be as close to flawless as you can get.

Out of every post-Jerry dead incarnation or reboot that I've seen (JRAD, P&F at Terrapin, Furthur, DSO, DeadCo) they were by far the best version. The only issues I had were tempo (which, eh, what can you do with 70 year olds), Bobby's tone (because he's nearly loving deaf and seems to think his laser tone is nice) and the pre-fab Drums section that was essentially Micky and Billy banging on things while electronic music played.

Their final show at Shoreline was stupid. The second set was Dark Star > St Stephen > Eyes of the world > Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > Days Between > NFA. That's like a 1973 dream set. What the gently caress is that? It's delicious, that is what it is.

The long strange trip is slowly coming to a close. The core four are all in their 70's and on borrowed time. I don't know who is going to go first but I'm not ready for any of it.

At least we have Phish(maybe? hiatus rumors kicking up in gear)

OniKun fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 2, 2016

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

algebra testes posted:

So apparently Bobby's latest album is... good?

It's some suicidal cowboy blues. It's surprisingly good, even though Bobby has a tough time singing on key nowadays. The album is clearly him reflecting on his life and coming to terms with the fact that he's getting off the bus soon.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I saw both Shoreline shows and couch toured the rest. I think these guys are on another level right now.

It never stops being weird that it is John Mayer on stage, though. He sung one hell of a Deal on night one at Shoreline... but that's the same guy who wrote My Body is a Wonderland... It's really strange and paradoxical, but his chops are not a lie. If you haven't checked anything out, I think the past three shows are all top-tier DeadCo and worth listening to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

Speaking of JRAD is it worth seeing them a week before I catch D&C? Been curious and I really wanna hear Rubin and Cherise this year

JRAD is awesome, but it's kind of like a nonstop whirlwind of hard and fast jams that don't necessarily go anywhere... they can't really breathe, in my opinion, it's all balls-to-the-walls with eighteen different songs teased in one jam kind of stuff, but it's still a ton of fun. I've seen a few two-night runs from them and I'm always tired by the end of the second night, every jam just kinda melts together in a big mush.

But I also wouldn't skip seeing them unless I had a good reason... it's a drat fine place to dance, and hey, at least they play the songs at the right tempo. And Joe Russo is a demon on the drums.

Love me some D&C too, but god drat they could stand to put some cocaine in the coffee.