Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Nthing that I have been lurking this thread and also enjoyed reading all the thoughts on the '72 tour. I was never big into the Dead because my parents overplayed them in the house/car when I was a kid, but always maintained a grudging respect for them (and secret affinity for Althea and Terrapin Station). I've gotten into them a little more in recent years but especially the past 6 weeks or so, for whatever reason (this thread? maybe).

Here's a question for those of you who've been listening a long time: did Billy and Mickey become somewhat more... unruly, let's say, over time? Listening to some of the stuff from the 80s and onwards I feel like there are so many unnecessary drum fills everywhere. They are really making themselves present in a way that's honestly kind of distracting. But then I put on something from '77-'78 and they're so much more laidback and restrained, sometimes you don't even notice there are two drummers.

I have a very small sample size though since I haven't heard enough to make a determination. I know Mickey is an occasional target of some fans but I don't know if it's really just him going overboard. Apparently he wrote Fire on the Mountain though so if he hadn't come back we wouldn't have Scarlet/Fire, and that's a hefty price to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That makes sense. The "Drums" segments do seem to regrettably get longer and longer once you leave the 70s behind, too.

I'm probably a little biased towards '77-'78 at the moment but the Betty boards I've listened to from that era are perfectly mixed imo. Pinpoint.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Did they finally give Donna a monitor after the hiatus or something because I feel like she's so much better in the late 70s. Also feels like her tone became somewhat warmer, or fuller? Maybe it's just the way it was recorded on the specific shows I've heard.

Also Looks Like Rain is godawful. I'm not a huge fan of many of Jerry's slower songs/ballads either to be fair but this one is on a whole other level. How do you put that on the same album as Playing in the Band and Cassidy.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I did wonder why the band didn't just give her a monitor but it never occured to me that it could be deliberate sabotage from the crew. I guess I underestimate the power and influence the crew could have, and the amount of backstage politics / machinations that were going on. It tracks with the stories about Healy messing with Bob's* guitar in the 80s, didn't it take the band years to find out about that?

Speaking of, I asked earlier about the drummers going nuts in the 80s but Bob's guitar tone is another thing dragging down their sound in those years I think. I don't know when he made the switch but his tone on that Modulus guitar sounds awfully thin and metallic. It's disappointing cause I really like his playing (tbh during Jerry's solos I sometimes prefer focusing on the rest of the band). Listening to him play the opening lick to Sugar Magnolia in the 70s vs the 90s or something is just a bummer.

I'm listening to 11/17/72 at the moment (Dave's Picks 11). It's good but the mix kinda buries Keith.

* I'm not a big enough fan and/or confident enough yet to call him Bobby.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 9, 2022

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think it'll always be just too schmaltzy for me, especially at the end. In my mind I can't not picture like, Celine Dion belting it out.

This, though, is so so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDYB-Egzs0

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Been listening to 12/27/70 past couple of days which is my first foray into the early years. Weird to hear them so scruffy. Bit too bluesy for my taste, and Jerry's singing isn't quite there (might just be the specific show though). I'm also not hearing any keys at all, if Pigpen's actually playing something then the mix buries him completely in this case. Definitely missing that extra sonic layer.

Still pretty fun though.

edit: 12/28/79 now, really good so far. A massive Sugaree to start and I've never heard this weirdo arrangement for Row Jimmy before, I like it a lot.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 28, 2022

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Will definitely check out some of those, I've been wanting to listen to more of the early Brent years.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Where's my 30-minute Althea. :mad: That should've been a set 2 staple.

No disrespect to set 1... but c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Bird Song's another good set 1 jam.

I do wish they hadn't codified the show structure as much after the hiatus, i.e. certain songs always destined for certain slots. Maybe Scarlet doesn't always need a Fire (I know this one did happen a handful of times), or maybe Althea could come out of Playin' in the middle of set 2 some time, or just straight up start set 1 with Dark Star, etc. It's slightly ridiculous to whinge about it considering the band in question though. But I think '73-'74 were more flexible in that respect. Also read that '85 had some weirdo sets so maybe I'll dip my toes into that year some time.

I recently came across a China Cat Sunflower that transitioned into something else than IKYR (edit: other way around actually, Rider coming out of something that wasn't CCS) but can't actually remember the date. Somewhere in the 80s I think.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 21, 2023