Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not sure there is a huge amount of overlap between this thread I've been silently lurking in and the vinyl thread but here goes anyway. The Paris 5/3/72 show is getting a Record Store Day release.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13626

I went deep into live Dead during 2020 thanks to work from home and this thread, but haven't heard this set yet. Is it solid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I've been on the New Year's Eve Winterland show, working up the steam to explore the 80's live sets.

Morbidly curious: What eras find Garcia at his most heavy into the hard drugs?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Do you notice a difference in their playing and jammy quality when the band were deep into the H compared to say, the Veneta show? I haven't gone past that '79 Winterland show ... yet.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE ...

For the vinyl dead heads, this is dropping on RSD.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14602

That version of "Dark Star" hits hard for me so I will probably have to find this monster.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 18, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Since I brought this back to life for a few, please entertain my idle curiosity.

For you lot, what's the ratio of live shows versus studio records that you usually listen to? I have Aoxomoxoa and Workingman's Dead on vinyl and I'll spin those every so often on a Sunday afternoon but I 99% of the time I gravitate to the live sets I've found that really hit for me. Typically that's the peak 70's era, and I usually top out around '78 with that Winterland show. Even that starts to grate toward the end. I have yet to venture into the 80's.

Do you hit the studio catalog on the regular, or is it just the live shows that you find to your liking that you keep bookmarked?

I made a Pandora station that had Grateful Dead in the algorithm and it feeds me a healthy mix of live dead, studio dead, and Jerry Garcia. The Garcia solo stuff I can take or leave (but holy poo poo he did "box of rain" a LOT) but the studio dead is just kinda there for me, especially the late era stuff. There is a Garcia/Merle Saunders live thing that I absolutely love, but that's it.

Pointers or suggestions? Good entry point for 80's dead?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Any more, I only listen to live stuff (including Europe 72 and Steal Your Face albums) with the exception of Terrapin Station on vinyl and Blues for Allah. Studio stuff just doesn’t really do it for me now.

I’m only partly embarrassed to say I’ve listened to more Billy Strings doing Dead stuff than actual Dead in the past couple months.

I'm not familiar with Billy Strings. My go to "do I like this" is Spotify and he's only got studio stuff. I see nothing Dead related. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

The complete Europe boxset is available on streaming services for those who have them. As are all of Dick's Picks (but not Dave's Picks).

Why is Dave's stuff not on that? I've seen some of those set's mentioned here, but haven't never been able to listen to them and I'm not really into streaming youtube.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is the Europe '72 that's been around forever (ice cream guy cover) the one to start with? Looking through those volumes on Spotify, and they all seem to bounce around for dates. Is there a specific show for 4/7? All the stuff I find on Spotify is dated next month.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Today has a super hot "Dark Star." Into that.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

trem_two posted:

Speaking of Dark Star, I bought this on bandcamp this morning, it's pretty rad [GRAYFOLDED]

I've also started the Europe 72 jag, really enjoyed yesterday's The Other One and Wharf Rat.

Oh wow. I was working at a record store when that thing dropped. It was everywhere and lots of old heads came in to listen to it or buy it. I was not really into the Dead back then so I never listened. I had always wondered just what the hell it was.

What do you think of it?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

General "noob" question incoming!

How come Greatest Hits staples like "Ripple" or "Box of Rain" are so infrequent in the shows I dive into on the regular? Was there an era where they just hated those songs?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Since I'm sure it's a statistic somewhere, what was the least played cut from that classic era?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Did the tv appearance that aired stop with "Truckin'" or did they broadcast the whole thing include that jammy "The Other One"?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I really enjoyed Dark Star>Me and My Uncle>Dark Star on this one.

For real! Does the "Dark Star" top out on this tour at any point? So far, everyone I've heard is better than the last one. That action is quickly becoming my favorite part of the Dead, just WTF jazzy chaos and slowly descends back to a groove.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Following the Europe '72 in spirit is going to WRECK my completely pointless end of year Spotify wrap up. If I make it to 5/26, I feel like I owe it to myself to see what alligator wine is all about. It sounds ... unpleasant.

Update:

Is this 5/11 the most Pigpen we've heard on this tour?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 11, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Dark Star -> Morning Dew today was pretty righteous.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Hearing these full albums makes the official Europe '72 release such a weird thing to me. That was probably my first exposure to the Dead back in the early 90's and I just took it as "oh, this is their thing." If that live compilation had even hinted at the stuff they get up to in those epic "Dark Stars" or "The Other One"s I would have got on the bus along time ago.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

Home stretch folks, just four days/shows left.

Fun fact - I started this project technically single and going to finish it married.

Congratulations!

I wasn't honestly sure if I had it in me to do the whole European tour. I figured I would tap out and not have the mindset to listen to the same set of songs over and over.

Turns out, I do. Still waiting for the moment when "Mr. Charlie" clicks for me though. I think all the "jooba joobas" and "wooly bullys" grate on me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Really enjoying this freak out in "The Other One" that's going on right now. Crazy good. I was listening to the early portion of this album on the drive in to work. Who did Bobby dedicate the show to at the beginning? \

Who takes over "Mr. Charlie" duties after Pigpen? He would only be in the band for a short time after this tour ended, right? Is that last show with him anything special?

For the career span, did the shows always typically take this format I've come to expect having spent so much time in Europe where the first set sees some more traditional renditions of the songs with maybe a small amount of widdly wah and jamming and then the second step they start to open them up to spaces, textures and sounds?

Are their shows that set on the separate extremes? Was their an era with little to no jamming or an era where they just come out of the game slightly formless and weird and stay that way the whole time?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 24, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I probably need to blame shout out this thread for being wholly responsible for my inane spotify wrapped.

I apparently listened to the 4/8/27 "Darkstar" the most. Fits.

Worse more, my buddy has gone on a live dead bender after getting into Goose and has caused me to take an even deeper dive into the Dick's Picks hoard of material.

9/3/77 Englishtown "Not Fade Away" is RIDICULOUS. Also, I'm a johnny come lately fan of 5/22/77 "Eyes of the World" ...

What are some other can't miss Dick's Picks besides the obligatory 36 (Spectrum) and 12 (Providence)?
e: How about your favorite "problematic" shows? The aforementioned Englishtown show starts off with some typical equipment problems, vocals dropping out, but man when the band gets back to firing on all cylinders ...
So what are the shows that go from tire fire to "sweet baby psychedelic jesus this is next level?"

hatelull fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 1, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Probably going to pull the trigger on a day pass to see Dead & Company in NOLA.

What are your favorite sets? There's a TON on Spotify.

So far I've hit up and really dug ...

10/31/21 (Dark Star -> El Paso -> Dark Star is life)
11/17/17 (fun sugar magnolia!)
06/30/18 (LOVE the Morning Dew here)
6/23/19 (oddly enough, Terrapin Station -> Althea was a highlight for me)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

6/15/19 Wrigley is really solid. That slipknot is very, very good.

Set One: Lady With A Fan > Terrapin Station, Sugar Magnolia > Mr. Charlie, High Time, Friend Of The Devil, Bertha, Mama Tried > Turn On Your Love Light

Set Two: Spanish Jam > Scarlet Begonias > New Speedway Boogie, Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklins Tower > Drums/Space > The Other One v. 2 > Standing On The Moon, Sunshine Daydream

Encore: Ripple, One More Saturday Night

Excellent! Queuing this one up today.

Drums/Space was the thing in the 80's? I don't really dip into live Dead after '79.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

A week from today I will see Dead & Co for the first (and probably only) time. Obviously not expecting something as mystical as some of the '72 shows or even that fire late 70's Dead, but the Dead & Co stuff I've dug into on Spotify is satisfying.

You guys think this has the potential for a good time, or more of a "checkmark on the bucket list?"

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Northside Skull and Bones Gang showed up in the middle of "Space/Drums" and it was Everything. So very happy I made the trek to see this ridiculous show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

BigFactory posted:

They make crappy music

I kinda want to agree with this. My subjected me to them on the drive from from NOLA earlier this year driving back from Jazz Fest. They definitely have chops and are no stranger to the widdly-wah but the songs themselves did NOTHING for me outside of the aforementioned musical pyrotechnics.