Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Short interview with Bill Kreutzmann on NPR's Morning Edition in promotion of a new memoir:
http://www.npr.org/2015/05/12/404225191/jerry-garcias-advice-to-bill-kreutzmann-dont-rush

Nothing surprising, but he sounds well and it's nice to hear from a lesser-heard voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

I think of all the ones in that post, Phosphorescent sounds the most like the Dead to begin with so the vibe fits, but man, it's not just the performers that sound bored but the recordings. No dynamic range, everything compressed to sound full and balanced, everything quantized and done to a click, even-tempoed and lacking any sense of wonder/drive/energy... there's no bombast, there's no soul. It's completely white bread. I listened through the first chorus of Sugaree, the rest I turned off almost as soon as the lead vocal came in. Sounds completely uninspired, I'd expect nothing less (or more, really) from the National. Bah.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

Anyone into Jerry Band?

Trying to get into it but idk where to start. I like a lot of the 80s covers I've heard (what piqued my curiosity) and I like Keith and Donna dead a lot so I'm curious about the 70s period.

Other than that its more varied than the Dead right? What are the kind of different eras? Hows the official released stuff, is there a Dicks Picks type thing to start me off?

I really like the Merl Saunders Keystone recordings. It's all covers but the band is just a 4-piece and they're clearly having a good time, at least on the collection I have from 73. I'm not an expert but I think Garcia and Saunders collaborated more than a handful of times in that decade.

Dig Jerry's solo in this tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW77rWtJIQU

As for studio stuff, I think Cats Under the Stars sounds nice... a couple crucial tracks including Ruben + Cherise and the title track, but otherwise it sounds like most of the other recordings he made back then. YMMV.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

I feel like Veneta 8/27 and Spectrum 9/21 are the best overall shows of 1972, and I honestly don't know if I could pick a winner between them. The Dark Star-> El Paso/Morning Dew switcheroo is an essential Dead trick, so your best bet is to listen to both shows in depth.

Thanks for this recommendation, the Dark Star at Veneta is flooring me at the moment. The band sounds so in each other's heads.

I'll save anyone else the quick Google:
https://archive.org/details/gd72-08-27.sbd.orf.3328.sbeok.shnf/gd1972-08-27d3t02-orf.shn