Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Ok, so I know American Beauty and "Touch of Grey" with a few other random songs here and there. I want the WEIRDEST The Dead ever got. Like Phil studied with some 20th century composers right? Gimmie the most out they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

elentar posted:

For Dead-related weirdness you can also try Grayfolded, John Oswald's Plunderphonics take on 30+ years of Dark Star.

gently caress. YES.

My first "real" Dead initiation was leaving my radio on when I was 14, and being woken up in the middle of the night when the DJ at the college station spun some boot of "Dark Star." When he said it was the Dead I couldn't believe it.

Also thanks for all the other suggestions!

Edit: Really digging "Infrared Roses" so far too.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 19, 2013

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Going thru my parent's record collection and found a "Best Of The Dead" record autographed by Bob Weir personalized to my dad when we was working at a radio station.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Are there any shows that have the Wall and are of high quality to actually hear it well? I'm enough of a nerd that I'm more interested in actually hearing this thing in action rather than a good dead show.

e: but if it's a kickin' show then that's not bad either

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I was THIS close to seeing Mayer's Dead but with no Phil, I don't see the point.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Well, that was incredible. Out of the three times I've seen them so far, this was the best yet! They went big for this show, and this had to be my favorite two sets yet :) Donna Godchaux showed up, so it's likely she'll stick around for tomorrow. Can't wait!

Set One:

Jack Straw
The Music Never Stopped
Next Time You See Me
Loser
Peggy-O
Help On The Way -> Slipknot! -> Franklin's Tower

Set Two:

St. Stephen
Dark Star -> Terrapin Station
Drums -> Space -> Terrapin Station reprise
Morning Dew
Casey Jones

Encore:

Black Muddy River
US Blues

I managed to find a stream, but I'm kicking myself because I could have bought tickets for tonight but I didn't. That second set was just insanity.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Also what time did it end ?

About 10:30, but I wasn't there, that's just when the stream wrapped up I was listening to.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Oteil just played a whole show tripping his rear end off and it was pretty drat cool.

Between this and that interview with Bobby where he said he still trips with younger bands from time to time, it warms my heart.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 26, 2016

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

In the grandstands stage left, pretty good sightlines, hope the sounds ok!

Edit: sound is not the best, but I can live with it, I'll just download it tomorrow

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 18, 2017

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Sound in the second set greatly improved, that was a hell of a first Dead show for me.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

So you witnessed this? Where did the 2nd DS verse end up, was it after Drums/Space?

Yup, they jammed on Space as they do, then there were some little allusions to Dark Star, and they went into the second verse.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Reports coming out that John Perry Barlow has died.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Estimated Prophet

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Pigpen blows.

I would be angry, but you have missed so many cool moments in your life that I just pity you.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Caught Hartford this tour, was my friends bachelor party. We ended up bringing a groomsmen's dad who is a head and was a little sad he hadn't caught a show yet. First set was real mellow and bluesy and was a nice way to ease in (and they even ended the first set with "Don't Ease).

My friends dad was lukewarm on it, thought it wasn't too exciting. I told him to wait for the second set, and then they came out of the gate STRONG with Stranger, and them melted my face off with a Viola Lee Blues sandwich that had a China Rider middle. My friends dad enjoyed the second set waaaay more.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

An Apple A Gay posted:

whats your favorite dark star

yes

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Seeing as I'm not gonna drive to NJ for Phish I put in two requests for Mansfield.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Can't believe PayPal came thru, see y'all on the lawn in Mansfield

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

User Error posted:

So uh, Dead and Co are touring. I just saw them in STL and the loving killed it. Oteil is the man. My first dead show and it was a good one.

This entire TOUR has been loving killing it. Caught night 2 in Mansfield and holy poo poo, my favorite Dead & Co show I've seen so far

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

They've been dipping into the back catalogue quite a bit so I'm waiting for Bobby to bust out Alligator again.

I forget which show it was, but for one show Billy was on the kit for the first part of "Drums" and someone pointed out he was playing the beat to "Alligator"

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

You can put money on they wanted to enforce the Vaccine mandate and FL were being dickheads about it

Good, gently caress Florida. No jams for you.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

check out the 12/10/71 release, there is some absolute fantastic stuff in here and the mix is great, even if I could use a little more Billy.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Looks like Billy won't be at N1 of Red Rocks tonight due to "Non-COVID Related Illness". Jay Lane will be sitting in tonight.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Paul supposedly has a home movie made of the dead that's never been released before

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I think I'm gonna listen to the entire Europe 72 tour as close to the actual anniversary dates as I can for the 50th this year, anyone else interested?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Free Wolf Bros w/ The Wolfpack (strings and horns) for FREE tonight - 7 PM ET

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1507098574659719176?s=20&t=idPWirBpkm3fH0l4GXGOTg

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

First show down - Highlights for me were the Playin' & TOO jams, Mr Charlie, Wharf Rat and NFA/GDTRFB, especially when the call and response between Bobby and Pigpen start

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Welp - I guess if you wanted to go see Dead & Co, now's your chance

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dead-company-final-tour-1334902/

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BOB SAYS NO - https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1512539339594645506

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Holy poo poo, that Dark Star->Sugar Magnolia->Caution run was extraordinary!

I think the last 5 minutes of that Dark Star may be one of my new favorite Dead moments.

Also, if you aren't listening along to the Deadcast this season (all Europe 72) you're missing a ton of great oral information. Wembley Pool was so reverberate they had to buy parachutes from an army surplus store to hang from the rafters so they could acoustically dampen the venue.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Ripple just wasn’t a song that made sense in a lot of sets. It’s quiet but not a typical Jerry Ballad. There’s a nice ripple on Reckoning though

I'll try to search for it, but there's an interview with Jerry where he talks about just not connecting with Ripple's lyrics live and he knows people feel very special about that song in particular. It didn't seem right for him to sing lyrics that were important to everyone if he couldn't connect to them the same way.

IIRC the only time the made a concession post Reckoning shows was for Make-A-Wish where someone asked for a Ripple encore specifically, but I could be wrong about that :effort:

Edit - yeah confirmed by the graph above, Ripple was last played in 88 which links up with the Make a Wish anecdote

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 11, 2022

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

(There was certainly a contingent of local older ladies present, one of whom was Eric Burdon's mother)

"They're very good you know"

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I canít imagine someone listening to ramble on rose and not having a better day from that point on.

If you don't belt the "GOODBYE MAMA AND PAPA" verse with the loudest voice you can muster, I don't think you're doing it right.

Also hot take - OMSN is an EXCELLENT set one closer. It gets you pumped up, but you know the encore is freed up.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I'll edit this post after I listen to Set 2 tonight -

4/11/72

Set 1 - Just "OK", which still means there were a lot of nice moments. I think my highlights were all the Pigpen tunes, honestly. It does make me happy that Playin' hasn't become this uber-jam so far (PNW '74 boxset, I'm looking in your direction.) You go out for about 4-5 minutes and then you're back home. It's interesting to hear Bob sing both parts in "Jack Straw" and it's not quite solidified, but it'll be fun to hear the evolution.

Set II - Woooooooo! Coming in hot with a Good Lovin' that my friend said was the prime example of the "drat hippies took over my blues band" meme. Followed by Ramble On Rose which was a strong point in the set for me.

Truckin->Drums->TOO was obviously the centerpiece. Truckin percolates along and we get solo Billy just getting the gently caress down before Phil teases TOO, and what a version. Prepare for Psychedelic Brain Pulp - when Phil does the loooooooooooooong pick scrape and eventually just starts playing with feedback (I'm pretty sure he's hitting his bass at this point) and it breaks down to freeform quiet exploration before morphing into Comes A Time. Sugar Magnolia is definitely welcome, but Bob's voice is so blown out. Brokedown encore is certainly most welcome and just a great ballad moment. OMSN is... starting to get into more of the same, but still a ripping track.

If this is the Dead on a "so-so" night, still better than most.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 12, 2022

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Those of you following along with the Deadcast - are you listening to the podcast eps before or after the dates they talk about? I like getting the anecdotes before I listen to the show to make me feel like I'm there, but the musicology talks kinda spoil the jams for me since most of these shows I'm hearing in their entirety for the first time. Small price to pay for the heady knowledge.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I really liked how loose everyone seemed on 4/16/72 - you can really hear it in the grooves and I bet they all seemed relaxed at the thought of playing a small room again rather than the large European concert halls. Nothing seemed on edge - even the more "molten" parts of the Playin or Truckin' jams. Psychedelic dissonance, but nothing too harsh if that makes any sense.

Is today (4/17/72) the first three set show we have? I seem to find conflicting information on that.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Pacing was odd for 4/17, definitely something with the TV crews. Third set almost feels like a reward or party favor to the audience for putting up with the production. Interesting that this Dark Star still has some melodic ideas rather than the full meltdown of 4/8/72

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hooly poo poo what a mess this show was.

My favorite part is your can hear Jerry say to Bob "Don't forget the second verse" before Truckin'

So of course he forgets the first verse

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Already know I'm gonna have to split this show up over multiple days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I just finished the second set - holy loving CHRIST that may have been the best set of the tour so far