Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

CeeJee posted:

While the facility fight was not very inspired that location was fantastic. It's like it came straight out of an FPS game. I'd love to know what the hell it was made for.

If they don't find the perfect location they do cgi composites for them, could be that's another one of those. In s2 they did Tywin Lannisters house like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
Heavier on the foreshadowing then a 16 year old with makeup.

Fat_Jacks
May 8, 2004
Yo Mines !!!
I loving knew it!!!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Awesome episode. The train scene was great but how did that truck stop the train? If the guy set it the controls to continue on wouldn't it just plow through like it seemed it would? but then it just stopped. It was a great stunt though.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Awesome episode. The train scene was great but how did that truck stop the train? If the guy set it the controls to continue on wouldn't it just plow through like it seemed it would? but then it just stopped. It was a great stunt though.

I'm assuming the explosion hosed the tracks or the engine :science:. Kamali is Al-Zuhari,calling it

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
Amazing episode! Fat_Jacks knew it, but I sure to heck didn't. Best action sequences I've seen a long time.

Also: Take a drink whenever the boys fail a kidnapping.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Scarecrow411 posted:

Best action sequences I've seen a long time.

Definitely. I can't think of any other TV shows that have scenes on the level of the train sequence, or the terrorist compound exfiltration by helicopter scene.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Scarecrow411 posted:

Also: Take a drink whenever the boys fail a kidnapping.
Yeah, this one is doable. First I was thinking of drinking one every time they shot their objective, but then I wouldn't last halfway any episode.

"Don't shoot him, we need to extract him!" :stare:

"It's only in the leg!" :rolleyes:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously how good was Stonebridge's 1 vs 5 elbow and knife fight.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Wow what a great ride. Again. This series really delivers.
Despite all the great action pieces that were already mentioned above, my favourite part was the helicopter-scene with the boys being so proud about the intel they brought back and cheery about the bad guys killing themselves while Locke just internally facepalmed.
And i'm really a fan of Locke's no-bullshit approaches. Interrogation: "Won't cooperate? Well, you're already dead...". Extract troops through a shitload of enemies: grenade-launch them to pieces.
What else stood out for me was that most of the extras were native or really good german speakers. "Achtung, da ist ein Hund". Little things that help with the immersion big time.

And holy gently caress does Kamali look sinister shaved!

Did i hear it right that next episode we might see the return of Preragova (sp? - the FSB-chick)? :allears:
If so, i hope they go against the expected and don't kill her for drama.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Seriously how good was Stonebridge's 1 vs 5 elbow and knife fight.

Good enough to make me vomit a bit into my mouth when he opened the one guy's artery. Jesus, that was hardcore.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bou posted:

And i'm really a fan of Locke's no-bullshit approaches. Interrogation: "Won't cooperate? Well, you're already dead...". Extract troops through a shitload of enemies: grenade-launch them to pieces.

Soon as I saw that MGL I was saying "Robson, like a Boss!!"
He knows people who get things done. 'Skype bomb' had me golf clapping a bit

Cinemax has the two most underated shows of the last few years, it's almost criminal because the acting is brilliant.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 13, 2013

Frederik
Aug 9, 2008
"It's like a soufflé, it takes time!"

Love the chemistry and banter between Scott and Stonebridge. This show is so criminally underrated. I've seen maybe two or three people mention it on my Twitter since it started. How are the ratings? Really hoping it gets atleast another season.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Rocksicles posted:

Cinemax has the two most underated shows of the last few years, it's almost criminal because the acting is brilliant.

What was the other one you had in mind?

The whole 'train heist' bit was loving awesome'

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Bacarruda posted:

What was the other one you had in mind?

The whole 'train heist' bit was loving awesome'

I'm guessing Banshee, because it loving owns.

Man, it's been such a wild ride these past few weeks that I can't believe the season is already coming to an end. Feels like just yesterday I was salivating over sneak previews of the season to come. I hope that this year, if it gets renewed for another go (please, god), Cinemax does more preproduction teases like it has for Banshee. They've been pushing it really hard since the day the season ended, and they should do it for Strike Back too. I agree, in that no one I know really knows about it until I push it on them. Feel like a tv show dealer.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah Banshee.

It's head and shoulders above 95% of current TV.

Need a gif of Stonebridge doing his artery slice takedown and just splatter it all over twitter and tumblr.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Did... did Scott not get laid this episode? It's usually so cringe worthy, hopefully this is the start of a trend.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

He got a little finger-tickling from Richmond at the end. He knows that's worth more than some meaningless humping! :clint:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Has anyone else noticed that we haven't spent a lot of time with our villains this season? We've certainly spent plenty of time with Leo, but our supposed villain is Al-Zuhari, whom we've barely seen at all. Season one and two spent a fair amount of time with the villains, especially two, which gave a real feel for Knox and Matlock. One spent a fair amount of time with Latiff, and had a nice ending bit of exposition that did a lot of character growth shortly before character death.

I wonder if we're going to get the same thing, or find out if like Kamali is actually Keyser Soze

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Feeble giffing attempts, somehow faster in the browser than on my desktop i dunno :eng99: :

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I also noticed that they stopped using the blood-mist and it's more of a splatter now.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Has anyone else noticed that we haven't spent a lot of time with our villains this season? We've certainly spent plenty of time with Leo, but our supposed villain is Al-Zuhari, whom we've barely seen at all. Season one and two spent a fair amount of time with the villains, especially two, which gave a real feel for Knox and Matlock. One spent a fair amount of time with Latiff, and had a nice ending bit of exposition that did a lot of character growth shortly before character death.

I wonder if we're going to get the same thing, or find out if like Kamali is actually Keyser Soze

Maybe it could be a case that the threat of Al Zuhari spreads to Season 5. My fingers are firmly crossed.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

SpookyLizard posted:

Has anyone else noticed that we haven't spent a lot of time with our villains this season? We've certainly spent plenty of time with Leo, but our supposed villain is Al-Zuhari, whom we've barely seen at all. Season one and two spent a fair amount of time with the villains, especially two, which gave a real feel for Knox and Matlock.

Matlock was the best part of last season. Charlie Dance was criminally misused.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bou posted:

Did i hear it right that next episode we might see the return of Preragova (sp? - the FSB-chick)? :allears:
If so, i hope they go against the expected and don't kill her for drama.

Good. I miss her saying "EFF EASS BAY" to everyone whilst flashing a badge.

Stonebridge was back in full form after is recovery. drat

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I both want and not want this :( It's just too soon.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I caught up last night. Jesus H Christ is that some good television.

And not "Good considering its on Cinemax" good. Good as in "This feels exactly like the show they've wanted to make" Good.

Stonebridge is going to die tonight. Saying it now.

What else could all that foreshadowing point at?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hush your filthy mouth!

If they kill off Stonebridge it'll be show over.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
That was excellent episode/season. The freeze frame smile at the end was just so perfect.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was... odd. Generally I'm a fan of some eighties-styled cheese but that whole sequence felt like it missed a few beats.

What made Scott decide to stay in the service? He went from "I'll see this through then I'm gone" to "Hey buddy lets kick more rear end!" without any reason given.

And how is it that a large scale military base doesn't have a lockdown procedure? Every school in america has a safety protocol ready to be activated, but the military base isn't locking down every building, every door, every room the moment gunmen start shooting in the lobby?

I was also confused at who was infected with the virus. So Martinez and the people with her are dosed, but then it gets in the ventilation and it affects... a few more people, I guess?

It makes no drat sense for Kamali's great big plan to take twenty or so samples of smallpox... and use them all in one place. There's a line about how servicemembers will fly home and infect people at home, but at that point Kamali knows that Section 20 has put together the whole drat plan. Kamali knows there's still a good chance of poisoning the base, but there's 0% chance of someone taking that virus home to america.

Despite that, I thought the actual scene where Kamali died was tremendously affecting. A great way for him to go out, even if the mechanics of that tradeoff made next to no sense. You're just going to let a terrorist with a smallpox virus idly walk across a public square? And then act shocked when he decides to release the last canister, because, duh, that's sorta his whole M.O.

And was Pirogova always planning to shoot Ilyanov, even if the trade went successfully. Ack, my head hurts.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought Scott explained it well. They had no diamonds ergo no exit plan, and what the gently caress else they going to do. Plus he finally got to put his Richmond fantasy. soon as i saw her lying on the bed i thought, here we go 'bra on sex'... then bang Richmonds boobs after 3 years.

Loved the whole thing with Pirogova and Stonebridge, he looked genuinely scared and Scott's face in the background. Whole scene at the Crib was awesome.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Whoa, thanks for the ride, buddies!

Kamali owned the beginning. With technically not lying zo Ester about not killing Scott and Stonebridge, revealing that Al Zuhari was only a figurehead of the Operation and his great speech about all people in this conflict thinking of themselves as the "good guys". Almost sympathetic.

The escape from the van was just insane. Communication by tapping and the return of the glorious "on three"-gag. "please gently caress you pull over" and "gently caress, a live one? Let's get him!" all had me laughing.
The breakdown in the CC. Dalton was right :argh:
followed by that torture scene, which i'm surprised they hat the good guys do. :stare:

I probably could continue to gush over nearly every single scene til after the credits. Just let me say, that they really got me believing that they could go through with the exchange with Ulyanov. Would have been a great way to end the series.

My only nitpick: Ramstein Airbase (~50 km from where i live) is over 600 km away from Berlin so in my understanding the timeline in that sequence doesn't work out.

The ending with scary FSB-chick, Scott-Richmond having "a beer" together followed by the heroes riding into the sunset to some fabulously cheesy rockmusic was just perfect.

So... when does the next Season start? :ohdear:

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
This is like the most fun show on TV and it's a shame nobody is watching it :(

bou posted:

The escape from the van was just insane. Communication by tapping and the return of the glorious "on three"-gag. "please gently caress you pull over" and "gently caress, a live one? Let's get him!" all had me laughing.

Also "Hold on! I'm about to do something really loving stupid!"

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Rocksicles posted:

Loved the whole thing with Pirogova and Stonebridge, he looked genuinely scared and Scott's face in the background. Whole scene at the Crib was awesome.

I really hope Pirogova becomes a regular. Having a female character with the same kind of awesome swagger that Scott and Stonebridge have makes her much more fun to watch than the generic boobs of the week guest star.

This really is one of the most fun and entertaining shows on TV. It's got great chemistry between the two leads and I really like how Locke isn't just your generic "I've had enough! You two are off the case!!" commanding officer. Everyone pulls their weight as an individual character and it's not just the 2 heroes and a bunch of no-name underlings.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Fleshpeg posted:

This really is one of the most fun and entertaining shows on TV. It's got great chemistry between the two leads and I really like how Locke isn't just your generic "I've had enough! You two are off the case!!" commanding officer. Everyone pulls their weight as an individual character and it's not just the 2 heroes and a bunch of no-name underlings.

I guess people prefer to watch old men smoking instead of

Scott's reaction is the best, "YEAH!".

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Jesus christ :stare:

I just watched all four seasons (yes, I'm counting the one with Richard Armitage) and this show is amazing! I keep catching myself mumbling catch phrases from the show, or just saying 'buddy'. I think this show has the best 'buddy banter' I've ever seen.

Does anybody know why they went in such a completely different direction after the first season? Not that I mind, just curious.

Also, here's an interview with Sullivan Stapleton from Comic Con. Apparently, women are as helpless to resist his charms in real life as they are on the show. The one interviewing him seems about ready to jump him...

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
I am more than willing to suspend disbelief for this show. The van was awesome and there is nothing else in recent memory that comes close to the stunts consistently executed on this show. Good ending to a great season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I forgot about the van scene. Some Matrix Reloaded poo poo. My reaction was the same as Scotts

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 20, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The part on the highway was both amazing and terrifying. I can't imagine that stunt actor who got kicked out of the van, not breaking half of the bones in his body. :tviv:

This show is really, really god drat great.

quote:

I think this show has the best 'buddy banter' I've ever seen.

"Did you get them?"

*police car disintegrates while flipping over in the background *

"Yeah I got them." :hehe:

Batham fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 20, 2013

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Great finale, the runway scene was cool, not exactly Fast 6 but still you have to love the action in this show. The highway chase was impressive. In the little behind the scenes clip they said the other half of the road was open as normal so people driving would have seen cars flying everywhere. They must have a lot of fun making this show.

Kamali's plan kind of petered out there at the end but it was a sad kind of appropriate end for him. Richmond and Scott was kind of out of nowhere. I think a next season is likely so I really hope that to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that was really Phillip winchester jumping on the car too, on a live freeway with no safety lines doing 50kmh.

• Locked thread