Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

He got super loving defensive and pissy and basically said that pointing out how problematic the description of the My Lai card in the playbook is was a personal attack against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I mean we could just link the thread?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1199718/card-119-my-lai-downplaying-truth/page/1

Here's the "pissiest" quote:

Someone posted:

>>It was a terrible thing, and it's indicative of a cruelty and callousness that had become too common in the conduct of the war.

>>At the same time, we too easily forget the moral courage of the American soldiers (such as Hugh Thompson) who intervened to stop the massacre and who acted to bring the facts to light.
And this is exactly what this quick blurb seems to me to be doing. The Army initially tried to cover up the massacre and branded the people who spoke out as traitors, before finally acknowledging at least 347 people were killed. Now we're going back to saying it was a massacre of 22 people? Really?

Mark H posted:

Really, you are accusing me of purposely covering up the massacre. You have no shame and I consider this a personal attack. I have no recourse other than to throw a flag on the field.

I am glad people are upset about this massacre, so am I, which is why we included it in the game to create awareness. I regret not writing more, but the event is focused on the trial's effect on the American conscious and I chose to align the words with the event title. Could more have been said in a short blurb? Sure, but impugning my character over what is not said is just taking gratuitous cheap shots.

The worst part of this dialog is the implication that murdering 22 people, (what the Lt. Was convicted of) is not as bad as killing more than 300. That is wrong on so many levels I do not know where to begin. Murdering even one innocent is evil, past that is just more horror heaped on itself. The game event tries to make a small contribution in showing how this representative massacre, there were others, impacted the war.

I appreciate people's motivations but please show some balance in your comments.

In the annuls of "designer breakdowns for games we still play" I'm not even sure this is top 10 (I'm including non-consim stuff tho)

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

SoftNum posted:

I mean we could just link the thread?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1199718/card-119-my-lai-downplaying-truth/page/1

Here's the "pissiest" quote:

In the annuls of "designer breakdowns for games we still play" I'm not even sure this is top 10 (I'm including non-consim stuff tho)
I don’t think that he was trying to minimise the massacre at all, just trying to make sure he didn’t get his butt sued. He states what Calley was convicted of, and that it was part of a larger massacre.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Quarantine has gotten me to this point:

Cataloguing my Dear Weltkrieg set to see if it's actually complete and which pieces go with which games. I bought it as one complete jumbled lot so who even knows.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Cataloguing my Dear Weltkrieg set to see if it's actually complete and which pieces go with which games. I bought it as one complete jumbled lot so who even knows.

I bought the introductory game but the remodel has kept me from breaking it out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Speaking of ww1 games, i've been playing some Great War in Europe deluxe with a buddy of mine.

This game makes welpkrieg look like campaign for north africa in how straightforward it is.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Decided to take the plunge into weird new napoleon games.

I've always been fascinated by Napoleonic Grand Strategy! How was it?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Not even I'm that crazy. That edition comes with a bunch of extra stuff that's not even compatible with the new edition lol

Is the 600$ version the one where they represent all armies on the divisional level?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Is the 600$ version the one where they represent all armies on the divisional level?

Nah you're good with the $200 version

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

After manually checking 5,600 counters against the countersheet scans I found, I'm only missing 5 of them! And since it's a modular game, I can just sub them between games. Hell yeah

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They look unclipped.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The HELL did you say

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

They look unclipped.

That's project two

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Red Sun Blue Cross

I did a quick summary with photos of this title earlier. It's a quick play strategic level overview of the naval side of the Russo-Japanese war of 1904/5. Since then I’ve had time to put counters on the map and roll some dice.

This is a gambler’s game. Both sides, especially the Russians, are going to be praying to the dice gods to make their current gamble work out. There is a really slick interplay between Points of Control, naval operations, the Imperial Japanese Army, and the dice.

Let’s look at the map real quick, then the sequence of play

Points of Control are basically victory points, tracked on the map in the top right. You can only be so dominant in this game, the PoC track maxes out. You can move the PoC track in your favor by holding sea zones, and the Russians can get some from disrupting troop convoys to the mainland. You score PoC for a zone if you have the only fleet there at the end of the turn, and ‘end of the turn’ is a very fluid concept in this game.

The Phillipine Sea and Pacific Ocean zones are worth 2 PoC to the Russians, and none to the Japanese; freeing up a small cruiser force to go camp these zones is a good Russian strategy. The three zones I’ve outlined in green are the money zones. For either player, they’re worth 1 PoC for the first zone, 2 for the second, and three for the third for a total of 6 points.

The two red circles, and the red-outlined track on land are the IJA’s presence in the game. The two circles represent troop convoys; the Russians gain 1 or 3 PoC for controlling those zones at the end of the turn. This also removes the troop markers (wooden cubes in this edition of the game). If they don’t, the Japanese player lands them on the highlighted track of boxes representing the land campaign. There’s a decision point after the third cube placed, advance on Mukden (the Russians automatically win if the IJA hasn’t made it that far by the end of turn 6) or go for Port Arthur. Claiming the Hill 203 box removes Port Arthur’s ability to repair damaged ships and is Very Bad for the Russians. Taking the port itself eliminates any ships left there, which is Even Worse.

Sequence of Play

This is basically
Prep
Sortie
Naval Ops
Return to port
Scoring

The Prep Phase includes repairing damaged ships in repair boxes, and the Japanese player deploying one or two IJA cubes.

In the Sortie Phase the IJN, then the Russian navy can move their ships out of port. Japanese ships can reach the Yellow Sea - 2 full sea zones from Japan. They should also deploy cruisers to watch out for the Vladivostok squadron and cover the troop transports in the Tsushima Strait zone. Full strength ships can sortie a second zone. If the IJN has blockaded Port Arthur )PA is NOT blockaded on Turn 1), a Russian sortie can move a second zone. Other than the Port Arthur blockade nothing can stop an undamaged fleet from moving a second zone during a sortie.

And now, Naval Operations

This is a simple loop. Each player rolls a die, high roll gets to take an operation or pass. If the high roller passes, a pass by the other player ends naval operations for the turn. If the die rolls are tied, naval operations end immediately. The dice have reared their ugly heads. If the high roller conducts a naval operation, afterwards you return to the top of the loop and roll to see who conducts the next one.

A naval operation is:
Initiate a naval battle between opposing forces in one zone.
Move ships out of a port into an adjacent zone. This makes holding ships back as a reserve a viable tactic.
Move a fleet (all the ships in a zone) into an adjacent port (they can come back out on a later operation).
Move a fleet to an adjacent zone.

The last two require a die roll. Ships have a speed, usually 4 or 5, damaged or old ships might have a 3, and the IJN has one cruiser with a 6. Roll the fleet speed or less on a d6 and you complete the move. Fail, and your operation ends with nothing happening. Dice off for the next op.

The Russians are numerically disadvantaged. The IJN can cover the troop transports (and incidentally blockade Port Arthur), the Russians have to try and juke the Japanese Navy out of position, or get the Port Arthur squadron in action against a weaker force in the Tsushima Strait. Having enough naval operations to spam cruisers into the Pacific, the Philippine Sea, and the East China Sea is a nice PoC bonus. The heart of the action is around the troop transports, which can destroy the Far East Squadron more efficiently than the IJN can. And naval ops can end after any action if the players roll a tie.

So the Russian player is going to try and put ships in scoring position, ideally with control of zones with troop transports, and hope the Naval Ops phase ends before the IJN player can cover up. This is a gambler’s game. You’re going to be relying on, and pushing, your luck to keep small cruiser forces from being ganged up on.
Conversely, the IJN is going to want to keep reserves in port in Japan. The Russian navy will be all over the place looking for PoC, and the IJN doesn’t want to be stuck in unwieldy fleets that have to move together.

Naval Combat

Naval combat is not designed to be a bloodbath. Each side shoots and assesses damage once, then the combat ends; combat can be resumed on a later Naval Operation. The fleet with the higher fleet speed (calculated as the speed of the slowest ship in the fleet) shoots first. This is likely to be the Japanese force early in the game. In case of ties the defender shoots first. The player with the Initiative token can spend it to shoot first.

To resolve fire by one side you add up the combat values (CV) of every ship on that side in the battle. Battleships are 5s and 6s, armored cruisers go 4, and protected cruisers are 1s and 2s. Once the total has been calculated, the firing player decides how many d6 to roll, with a limit of 6 dice. Every die rolled is worth one hit to the target side if the total on the dice is equal to or less than the combat value of the force. If the total is over the combat value, then remove dice from high to low until the total on the dice is equal or under the CV of the firing force; to make matters worse, no critical hits will be scored.

In addition to regular hits, critical hits are scored by pairs of dice, or 1 less than the number of matching dice for triples and so on. This is in addition to regular hits based on the number of dice rolled.

To resolve damage the firing player applies critical hits, then the target absorbs damage as they see fit.

Critical hits flip a healthy ship to its damaged side, or sink a damaged ship. You can’t apply crits to damaged ships if there are any undamaged ships left.

Normal hits are absorbed by the defending player flipping healthy ships to damaged (1 hit) or sinking damaged ships (hits equal to their defense value (DV)). Since having healthy ships restricts the application of critical hits, sinking ships has a real value in preserving a fleet’s fighting strength. All hits must be absorbed, even if the target has to sink a ship with more DV than remaining hits to allocate.

Return to Port

Any ships in Repair boxes are flipped to their healthy side.

Return to port. All IJN ships return to Japan. Russian ships return to the port specified by the sea zone they end the Operations phase in.

Poor maintenance. Ships ending up in ports without repair boxes flip to their damaged side if healthy.

tl;dr

So that’s the heart of Red Sun Blue Cross. It’s a naval-themed dice game with a lot of prospects for swinginess based on dice, but it plays fast enough that you could switch sides and get two games in in two hours. You also will roll a lot of dice, so things should even out. It looks to be really fun, the components are high quality, the map is gorgeous and you get to make a lot of decisions and push your luck to win. Quarterdeck also has Togo if you want to fight the battles on a tactical map.

I’m going to try and get a VASSAL module made when I get regular access to a good scanner again.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I got roped into playing a game of Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg, and mostly a filthy casual wargamer - how hosed am I? :ohdear:

The dudes playing it seem like extreme grogs, but they assured me a lot of the mechanics mostly play out themselves once you've played a couple of turns..

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tias posted:

I got roped into playing a game of Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg, and mostly a filthy casual wargamer - how hosed am I? :ohdear:

The dudes playing it seem like extreme grogs, but they assured me a lot of the mechanics mostly play out themselves once you've played a couple of turns..

I mean, are you expecting to have a shot at winning, or are you asking whether or not you might enjoy yourself despite definitely going to lose?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I definitely rarely win grog games and think losing is fun! I'm mostly concerned with the rules being so numerous and dense that it's too hard to learn and/or not fun for someone totally unused to the level of complexity

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tias posted:

I definitely rarely win grog games and think losing is fun! I'm mostly concerned with the rules being so numerous and dense that it's too hard to learn and/or not fun for someone totally unused to the level of complexity

Which side did they get you to play?

Tias
May 25, 2008

US/UK was suggested, but I can pick any one side.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tias posted:

US/UK was suggested, but I can pick any one side.

You'll definitely find that to be the easier side if you're not used to wargaming, though you'll have to pay a lot of attention to air/naval rules and such.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

More expansions for DVG leaders, soon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danverssengames/dvg-air-leader-expansions?ref=a78wmk&token=09dab6e3

New planes, alternative sets of all main game targets.

The stretch goals though... Uh.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The DVG mass production machine keeps on churning

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

How long until IDF Bulldozer Leader?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

More expansions for DVG leaders, soon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danverssengames/dvg-air-leader-expansions?ref=a78wmk&token=09dab6e3

New planes, alternative sets of all main game targets.

The stretch goals though... Uh.

My Leader game is on my for sale / trade list, it was fun losing the Iraq campaign the 10 or so times I played it.

For an extra $40 I will throw in some plastic army men

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

VentoNuovo's new Kickstarter is up, and it's about... Black Swans. And a huge pile of blocks they'll even apply stickers to for 25 Euros.

Already 10% funded.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Played AH's Russian Campaign and I really like playing the classics because the mechanics are basically the same with a few changes thrown in. You can read the manual in 15 minutss and have the gist of the game.

Very enjoyable, love the double impulses- multiple times in the south the only thing between me and Stalingrad or a swing up to Moscow was a few 2-7 cavalry and armor units but then the Russian replacements kicked in and i'd be facing islands of troops over and over again.

I feel like I was unable to regain the initiative after the winter of '42 when my opponent almost obliterated my line by sending 6x armies through the relatively unguarded and frozen Pripyat Marshes. Despite a short winter, I spent a Spring turn trying to stave off disaster and now I face a wall of Soviet forces with only Minsk and Odessa to really show for it. Here is where we stopped in the middle of '42 (from here the Russians only get stronger) until next time. In the north it's going to be 1:1 and 2:1 assaults back and forth as my forces get whittled away and my only real chance is in the south and that's dwindling.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've got that on my shelf, i should try it again. I dispersed my forces way too much as Russia and got completely owned

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Huh, GMT are giving out free games to people who lost their jobs due to COVID-19:

quote:

Eligibility: If you have lost your job due to shutdown-related layoffs or closings since March 15, 2020, you are eligible to get one (non-US customers) or two (US customers) free games from us, from games that are in stock now. We'd love to give an extra game to international customers as well, but the spiking shipping rates overseas limit our ability to do so.

Process. If you'd like to take advantage of this offer, please drop an email to Tony Curtis, our LLC Manager, at a_curtis@sbcglobal.net. Please include proof or explanation of your job loss and your choice of which in-stock game(s) you'd like us to send. Tony will work with our office folks to take care of getting your game(s) shipped out to you.

One Game Exemption. We're sorry, but we're exempting the new game Imperial Struggle from this offer. We printed twice as many as usual, but based on current demand it looks like they'll be sold out within a couple months.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

StashAugustine posted:

I've got that on my shelf, i should try it again. I dispersed my forces way too much as Russia and got completely owned

It's got a lot of possibilities and I found out that it was so popular when it came out that people were writing up Russian and German opening strategies like Chess. I really recommend giving it another go. I feel like this is going to be in our regular rotation.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s been good lurking in you, wargame thread. All you goons cost me a lot of money over the years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
gently caress you COOL CORN, I have only you to blame for my crippling ASL addiction.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
So I guess everyone's headed to back BGG/CSW should poo poo blow up here?

Anyway, It's been an honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4VlruVG81w

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

gently caress you COOL CORN, I have only you to blame for my crippling ASL addiction.

lol

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hopefully we can find an offsite. Or invade /r/hexncounter. Meanwhile I would suggest joining the TGD boardgoons discord to see what direction we are headed.
https://discord.gg/Xb7gS6u

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm sitting over here with a copy of ASL Starter 3, and a copy of #1 on order, curse your name ! <see you on Discord I guess, gotta play these things with somebody>

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

im gonna miss this thread most

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Always Be Clipping

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My dream is that the board game discord and the grognard game discord merge into a single discord that I actually care about but I fear it will never be so

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There's a grognard disco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Squiggle posted:

My dream is that the board game discord and the grognard game discord merge into a single discord that I actually care about but I fear it will never be so

The board game discord has a grog game section and we talk a lot in it.