Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

jonathan posted:

This was posted in the dashcam thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg24tzLV_I

(red car gets infront of truck and tries to brakecheck)
I can sort of understand being bitter about driving a red economy shitbox but why would you do that against a vehicle which will suffer practically no damage while it crushes you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Insurance scamming. Oh no this guy hit me with his truck.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I finally got an upgrade at work. Scored a 2016 Volvo FMX. The automatic gearbox does weird things from time to time but I guess I will need to get used to it. The difference in fuel consumption is absolutely staggering, I went from a 5.3 mpg to a 7.1 then again it sips AdBlue like a [insert your tasteless comparison of choice here] . I'm a bit concerned at how all the nice plastic stuff is going to age (probably not well).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Adblue = DEF for those curious but too lazy to google (I almost was too lazy).

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

A TURGID FATSO posted:

If you don't already work with steel-toed footwear and you drive a truck (or any other rough job) then you're a loving retard.

I see drivers at truck stops walking around the fuel bays in flip flops. Insanity.

That's a sharp looking Volvo you got there, Vincenzo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I drive with flip flops or slippers in the summer, but that's just for the road. When I get out, runners go on or if it's actual job site it's -50 rated Baffin's

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Question for drivers: Do you all communicate about traffic cops? Which state has the worst?

I'm not a driver but I've witnessed a lot more undercover state patrol in WA compared to anywhere in the west.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

DonVincenzo posted:

I finally got an upgrade at work. Scored a 2016 Volvo FMX. The automatic gearbox does weird things from time to time but I guess I will need to get used to it. The difference in fuel consumption is absolutely staggering, I went from a 5.3 mpg to a 7.1 then again it sips AdBlue like a [insert your tasteless comparison of choice here] . I'm a bit concerned at how all the nice plastic stuff is going to age (probably not well).

The steering wheel will wear smooth in about 6 months, the airbag will start peeling if you touch it at all and the steering wheel buttons become unreadable if you get them dirty.

EDIT: oh yeah i forgot, if you look under the adblue tank you will see the pump, which helpfully is placed in a way that if you ever take it off road it will get full of mud and break.

warcake fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 2, 2016

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpd3D3P27_U&t=26s

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
pasted from alberta thread where I accidentally posted it.

Bitch time: If workers are scheduled to work 16+ hour days, the support staff (ie dispatch and mechanics) should bloody well work the same loving hours. I came back to town boxing day evening with a creaky 5th wheel, steer axle leaf spring pins beat and popping and creaking, and a busted radio. They send me back out yesterday "be on location for 11am". Ok, so I get into work, and my tractor hasn't even been looked at. I go talk to the shop foreman;

"Oh well we're short staffed and there are only so many hours in a day, plus it was christmas we don't work those days"

I worked 21 hours on christmas eve, christmas day, and 17 hours boxing day, not because I wanted to. Yet dispatch and management is home with their families, as are the mechanics. I hosed with the truck from 9am until 2pm and then went to work until 5am. Another 20 hour day which I'm not complaining about, it just pisses me off that these fucks are fine getting me to work like this while they're doing their 8-5 shifts and getting bitchy if they have to stay late.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
You do know that we're not considered "employees" right? We're "drivers".

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

e: holy poo poo that got a little rant-y. TLDR there's fuckall incentive for a mechanic to do anything outside banker's hours. Leaving this poo poo for posterity though.

Devil's advocate here, that attitude is one I try to avoid but it's common among fleet guys for a very good reason. Being the guy who likes overtime is a bell you can't un-ring once the expectation grows in and there's not enough overtime at stake for it to really pay off vs. the risk of having to stay late basically whenever, booked days off actually happening being dependent on whether something breaks, basically guaranteed holiday work etc. I made just short of 60k this year (still 6k less than I made doing tires, and I didn't have to buy and maintain a 5 figure tool collection or spend 30k going to school) and OT counted for less than $250 in my pocket after taxes. And the only thing my sacrifice goes toward past that $250 is a pat on the back from management (still no less likely to be the first on the chopping block if poo poo goes sideways though, can't inspect trucks and I'm low on seniority), slightly better rapport with the drivers (which instantly vaporises the first time I have to give them news like "it's still safe and legal, drive the fuckin thing til I don't have a lineup of 10 trailers that aren't" or "problem y caused problem x to happen, your 15 minute fix just turned into 2 hours, sorry you can't go make money right now"). I do this poo poo pretty much out of some hosed up sense of pride in being the reason this collection of rust and plastic golems still moves freight and because no one else will, and am not significantly better or richer a man than the guys that do their 8 hours and leave this place behind them when they walk out.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 1, 2017

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

0rganDonor posted:

You do know that we're not considered "employees" right? We're "drivers".

are drivers people?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cbmVfX-shA&t=5s

4 injuries... 3 kids on the bus and a "drivers assistant" in the idiot truck

"The driver’s father, David Dunlop, told WFLA News Channel 8 over the phone that it was just an accident and that the car in front of his son sat through several light cycles and never moved. He told WFLA News Channel 8 that’s the reason his son chose to drive around the car in front of him."

lol

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 19, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some jail time will do him good. mainly by keeping a steering wheel out of his hands.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

"The driver’s father, David Dunlop, told WFLA News Channel 8 over the phone that it was just an accident and that the car in front of his son sat through several light cycles and never moved. He told WFLA News Channel 8 that’s the reason his son chose to drive around the car in front of him."

lol

Well that is a bold lie.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
People are scared of constant surveillance.

I welcome it, if it means that all the lovely, lieing assholes get shut down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not a fan of 1984 style cameras everywhere and thoughtcrime police, but I sure as gently caress run a dashcam for my own protection.

"several light cycles and never moved" my rear end. :lol:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
energy companies don't want us running dashcams because it introduces a possibility of proof that is hard to bend or nullify.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Why energy companies specifically Jonathan?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Aren't they who he drives for?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I feel like the wild west nature of the oil patch means companies don't want video evidence.

FedEx is the opposite, because they have this competition between contractors they want video evidence to ding drivers and fleet owners. The dash cam that FedEx required didn't even record the whole incident where some pickup rear end in a top hat brake checked my dad and almost threw me out of the bunk. Nor the license plate.

I wonder how many hours they have of me scratching my balls.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cakesmith handyman posted:

Perhaps other environments share this attitude, but I only have experienced this with energy companies as customers.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

InterceptorV8 posted:

:yosbutt: Have problems getting sealed adoption record information? :yosbutt:

Get your CDL!

Magically unsealed!

Or ask me about getting browbeat for not putting down I had an AKA on a job app! I made her feel like poo poo for rubbing my nuts so hard over the issue though. What's hosed up is even my copy of the birth records have been changed to show my adoption.

:ughh:

I know this post is being brought back from the dead, but what? I mean, my birth certificate has my current parents' names on it, and I've never been hassled for my "real" parents' identities. What's the deal with getting your CDL that's more intense than jobs, college admissions, and loan applications?

My roommate recently brought this up re: getting my US passport, and I told him I don't need to unseal anything because my BC has always been accepted as legit ID without question. It doesn't even say I'm adopted.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bcwUQR74cI

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Jesus loving christ :stare:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Swift is that company that all the truckers make fun of for being fast-and-loose about safety (which, coming from a trucker, is a terrifying statement) right?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sure wish I finished training

EDIT:
Student With Idiot For Trainer
So What It's Full Time
Swing Wide Its a loving Trailer
Stop Whining I'm loving Trying
Slow While In Fast Traffic
So Will It Fit Through
Sure, We're Insured For That
See Why I Failed Today

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 2, 2017

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Kilonum posted:

Sure wish I finished training

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

I like the gaggle of wheels and tires that comes rolling out from under the overpass. :hehe:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sitrep! In the middle of nowhere and these sphincter Kegels are failing me. No shitter in sight. As soon as this other truck finishes unloading I'm gonna give birth to a fracker behind the equipment shed.

Dropped pin
near Smoky River No. 130, AB

https://goo.gl/maps/3x1skZLZda22

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
First post in a month. And a worthy one!

Wasn't that you with the 6x6 camping vehicle thing (HINO?) If so, how's it going with that? (You can poop before you answer, that's OK.)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seized up the transfer case on it, which may or may not be because somebody never bothered to check if it had fluid in it before taking it on a shakedown run.

Also it sat all winter then I moved it to the parents acreage and in that time either the clutch pressure plate bonded to the flywheel or the clutch master cylinder seized up. So I'm going to pull the xfer case and the transmission to inspect the clutch. Not a tough job with the frame open and exposed, and the xfer case being a divorced unit.

After that is worked out its deck building time!

truls
Jan 6, 2003

So why are you guys protesting the electronic logging devices? If it's the same we have here in Europe they're a drivers best friend as companies can't run our asses 24/7

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah but they can just punish you for "poor time management" when you fail to accomplish an impossible drive in the time allotted, and now you don't even have the OPTION of massaging the log to buy yourself an extra half hour.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Drivers in the US at least get paid per mile. So the more strict the HOS regulations the less money a driver can make.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And in the end it just fucks the driver, not the company setting unrealistic schedules.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can't you guys just bootstrap it and drive better, it's just a big car figure it out.
#maga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Our dispatchers live in the real world so the guys have much less of a problem with em, but a lot of the software on these is really lovely. Even when they're not getting in a fight with the rest of the CANbus network and breaking random poo poo on the truck the UI is garbage, it's a similar experience to running a self-checkout at the grocery store.

• Locked thread