Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I don't suppose there's some secret way to do the shmup sequence in 006-B faster? I'd like to improve my score on that level, but I'd prefer if it didn't take half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I really wish Platinum would stop putting weird shooter segments in their games. They're never all that fun for me, especially compared to the core gameplay.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Its not a kamiya game without a bullshit minigame everyone hates

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Peewi posted:

I don't suppose there's some secret way to do the shmup sequence in 006-B faster? I'd like to improve my score on that level, but I'd prefer if it didn't take half an hour.

Yeah, that bit's a pain. Fortunately, getting a good score (ie, Platinum) is pretty easy once you know some things.

Unite Morphs are really important. There's the obvious stuff like Fist/Sword giving you fire/thunder immunity, but they're also generally better for attacking against stuff that won't hurt you for getting close. They do a nice chunk of damage and also give you combo multiplier, so your combo score will be pretty safe. You can also use them to break the rising pillars and those stone faces that create the whirlpools. Those things are annoying, and besides they give you points. Gun is also pretty handy because it lets you mash A in addition to X so you can shoot more bullets - the gun will shoot in whatever direction you last moved, so you can use it to attack to the sides or behind you if necessary. Use the sword to deal with Kaizor-Diejeahs since they like to do electric things, plus if they curve around you you can hit their entire bodies for big damage.

Weapon choice is also a thing. Pick either the gun or the laser, and only collect upgrades for that weapon. I recommend the gun because its upgrades let you scatter bullets in many directions (letting you shoot things without being in front of them) and is more spammable since it lacks the laser's recharge time.

Immorta and her Gah-Goojin are also very helpful. She'll shoot when you shoot, but if she's right next to an enemy she'll punch them instead and deal hella damage.

Always try and recruit the extra ship things. I'm not sure how helpful they actually are but it can't hurt, right? Similarly be on the lookout for shield powerups and missiles.

For my part: I finally got Platinum Paragon! I want to share two very important findings and ask a question about 009-C. The question is; what exactly is the cutoff point for the gold rank for Damage?

The findings:

1) I took two hits during the escape sequence and got 90 damage, which was a Gold. I took no damage during any of the actual fights. I don't know how the damage from the ship section factors into the overall count, which is part of why I'm so concerned about the cutoff.

2) It appears damage done to the Meizerr does not count. So feel free to shove it in a corner and not bother with twinstick bullshit; as long as it doesn't die everything is fine. Just make sure the Virgin Victory doesn't take damage.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Monkey Fracas posted:

I really wish Platinum would stop putting weird shooter segments in their games. They're never all that fun for me, especially compared to the core gameplay.

The only ones that really bothered me were the ones in uh... 006-B I think it was? The underwater one that gets repeated later.

The camera is hot bullshit and I don't remember if I every went back to get good scores on them on the harder difficulties.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Its not a kamiya game without a bullshit minigame everyone hates

Infinite Space had none of that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only ones that really bothered me were the ones in uh... 006-B I think it was? The underwater one that gets repeated later.

The camera is hot bullshit and I don't remember if I every went back to get good scores on them on the harder difficulties.

006-B isn't so bad once you get to know it; the real bullshit one is 009-A.

Plus all of the Virgin Victory "escape" sequences. Those are all bullshit, on their own merits as well as considering that they typically come after boss battles with no checkpoints.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

009-A isn't that bad, I just can't tell when I get hit because the bullets kinda blend into everything else, and your bullets look pretty similar as well. Admittedly I still get hit in missions 1 and 2 but as long as you PP the last mission you can get Platinum.

I'm still trying to get my Platinum Paragon, on 009-C as well. I got too annoyed at it so I'm taking a break from it, gotta work through Easy next. I just can't believe there aren't mid-boss checkpoints, why change something that worked so well in their other games?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Kamiya != Platinum Games, when will people get this right?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yoshesque posted:

009-A isn't that bad, I just can't tell when I get hit because the bullets kinda blend into everything else, and your bullets look pretty similar as well. Admittedly I still get hit in missions 1 and 2 but as long as you PP the last mission you can get Platinum.

I know, right? I want the person who did art direction for that place fired. The best part is how they put a Cough-Foon - a ship that fires a bright blue and white laser in a straight line - directly above the one spot on the floor that happens to be a continuous bright blue and white straight line. I got Gold, Platinum, Platinum (missed time limit by one second) and still got the Platinum. Turns out the game's pretty reasonable sometimes.

yoshesque posted:

I'm still trying to get my Platinum Paragon, on 009-C as well. I got too annoyed at it so I'm taking a break from it, gotta work through Easy next. I just can't believe there aren't mid-boss checkpoints, why change something that worked so well in their other games?

When you say "their other games". do you mean Platinum's or Kamiya's? I ask because I've never actually played one of Kamiya's other games (my only experience of Bayonetta is your LP (which is great btw)). Did Bayonetta have boss checkpoints? I know Revengeance did (Revengeance had its own dumb problem with boss checkpoints but at least it had them) but that wasn't a Kamiya game.

Anyway. For 009-C, one thing that helped me a bunch was this video, which came to me via HelloWinter via Chip Cheezum. Since you can't practice the section without dealing with two Jergingha forms, it really helps to have a visual reference (plus you get to see an actual way to actually dodge that loving goddamned Envan).

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Taint Reaper posted:

Speaking of Infinite Space, I checked the price of it and it's gone up by 100 dollars on Amazon since I last checked like a year ago :stare: And apparently if you buy it used you can't get to certain content if the person before you played it?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Fedule posted:

I know, right? I want the person who did art direction for that place fired. The best part is how they put a Cough-Foon - a ship that fires a bright blue and white laser in a straight line - directly above the one spot on the floor that happens to be a continuous bright blue and white straight line. I got Gold, Platinum, Platinum (missed time limit by one second) and still got the Platinum. Turns out the game's pretty reasonable sometimes.
I originally thought when you heard a mechanical 'pew' sound that meant you'd been hit, but it seems like it just randomly occurs sometimes? Consistent sound cues would be great in a level which is already bullshit.

I mean, my opinion of this game is a little better having revisited it after my Hard play through a year ago, but any shooting parts can go die in a fire(ball).

Fedule posted:

When you say "their other games". do you mean Platinum's or Kamiya's? I ask because I've never actually played one of Kamiya's other games (my only experience of Bayonetta is your LP (which is great btw)). Did Bayonetta have boss checkpoints? I know Revengeance did (Revengeance had its own dumb problem with boss checkpoints but at least it had them) but that wasn't a Kamiya game.

The only other Platinum games I've played are Bayonetta and Revengeance, and they both have boss checkpoints. I swear if Bayonetta 2 doesn't have boss checkpoints I might not bother doing a PP LP of it. :arghfist::(

I'm pretty sure Okami (another Kamiya game) had boss checkpoints as well, but it's not like you had to get good ranks on that game.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
On the topic of Bayonetta and checkpoints, does that game handle them more like Revengeance (please please please) or W101 (hahahahaha :suicide:)? I've been meaning to go back and get better scores and actually make it further than halfway through Hard, and the checkpoint system may end up being the determining factor after having abused the poo poo out of it in Revengeance.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Vanrushal posted:

On the topic of Bayonetta and checkpoints, does that game handle them more like Revengeance (please please please) or W101 (hahahahaha :suicide:)? I've been meaning to go back and get better scores and actually make it further than halfway through Hard, and the checkpoint system may end up being the determining factor after having abused the poo poo out of it in Revengeance.

Bayonetta's checkpointing is king in my book. The game will make a checkpoint a little before and after every(most?) fight, so if you screw up by getting hit, it's easy to restart. If you know you're not going to get the platinum requirement for combo you can still restart, as long as the results haven't been displayed yet. You can also manually create checkpoints by using either the Gates of Hell or Alfheims - enter and exit an Alfheim and it creates a checkpoint, making it easy to get a 'clean' results screen (as opposed to retrying in the Alfheim, which counts the damage you get until you complete and exit). For bosses there's checkpoints where you would naturally think they are (example: Fortitudo has checkpoints after you tear off each head), and the only one which is slighly poop is Julibeus, because her first checkpoint is after you finish the ice terrain mode.

Basically, if you know how Bayonetta's checkpoints work, it's really easy for anyone to get Pure Platinum, on all difficulties.

Honestly, for W101, the checkpointing is good as well except for boss fights. I really don't understand why they didn't (or maybe they couldn't?) have mid boss checkpoints.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yoshesque posted:

Bayonetta's checkpointing is king in my book. The game will make a checkpoint a little before and after every(most?) fight, so if you screw up by getting hit, it's easy to restart. If you know you're not going to get the platinum requirement for combo you can still restart, as long as the results haven't been displayed yet. You can also manually create checkpoints by using either the Gates of Hell or Alfheims - enter and exit an Alfheim and it creates a checkpoint, making it easy to get a 'clean' results screen (as opposed to retrying in the Alfheim, which counts the damage you get until you complete and exit). For bosses there's checkpoints where you would naturally think they are (example: Fortitudo has checkpoints after you tear off each head), and the only one which is slighly poop is Julibeus, because her first checkpoint is after you finish the ice terrain mode.

Basically, if you know how Bayonetta's checkpoints work, it's really easy for anyone to get Pure Platinum, on all difficulties.

Honestly, for W101, the checkpointing is good as well except for boss fights. I really don't understand why they didn't (or maybe they couldn't?) have mid boss checkpoints.

Revengeance - if not for its one dumb failure - is actually even better than that, since it not only has generous pre and post-fight checkpoints but actually lets you retry while the results are onscreen in all but two instances (of which one is a one-fight chapter and one is the final boss). It's great because if you're not sure what your rank will be you can find out without committing to it. The only way it could be better is it they actually ever loving told you what the requirements were for certain fights.

(the failure in question is that if you die during a boss fight (such as from an instadeath QTE) it will reset your combo, zandatsu, kills and BP but not your time (?!) or your damage taken (?!!) and then updates the checkpoint with that information, essentially ruining your run permanently.)

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I feel like some of the bottle cap descriptions could be better. I got all the ones for finding the Kahkoo-regah in the different chapters, but the one for finding all of them didn't unlock. I looked it up and apparently that one requires finding them on each difficulty. I don't really mind, but it could at least say so. And apparently the "10 evade bonuses" one need it done in one combo, which would explain why it hasn't unlocked long ago.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So here's a weird question.

Are some Wonderful Ones just straight up not able to Hero Counter? (or do other certain moves?)

I ask because I was experimenting with a Megang just now and after killing one with Fist I switched to Hammer to focus on the other, at which point Hero Counter just... stopped working. I know I'm not perfect at it but I tried like a hundred times and it just would. not. work. I tried every drat direction (I thought I was just having trouble doing it in a specific direction) again and again but nothing. Then I switched to another Unite Morph and hey, whaddya know, it started working again.

Anyone know what the deal with this is?

E: This happened in 007-A and the one who couldn't counter was one of Chewgi's minions. That seems... like a really weird restriction if it's actually true.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 5, 2014

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Does anyone have the 'Mind if I Borrow That?' bottle cap? Is it just forcing enemies to drop their weapon or do you actually have to use it?

Also, I'm only nine bottle caps away from 100%, yay! Just gotta finish all the kahkoo regahs on all difficulties and finish Operation 101 :sigh:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

yoshesque posted:

Does anyone have the 'Mind if I Borrow That?' bottle cap? Is it just forcing enemies to drop their weapon or do you actually have to use it?

You have to pick up every droppable enemy weapon in the game. I don't know if you have to use them, but I would do so to be safe, even if it's just whiffing an attack once. For the one, most people use that one Kahkoo-Regah that has like nine of the weapons hidden in hammer spots and then find the rest wherever else they can. Also, be careful that you get both the drill from the spiky white robot guy you have to take apart with the whip and the drill from the fast teleporting cats with the drills (I think that one is in the Kahkoo-Regah, though).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here's a weird one.

Anyone know how this happened?

That's mission 2 from 002-A missing up there. It's a mandatory mission (it's the one before the maglev) and I somehow did not get a rank for it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You can just open that door and move on before completing the mission, can't you? That's all I can think of.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hrm.

Alright, getting to the end of my endless question time.

Speaking as someone who has never actually played Punch Out!, how are you supposed to get Stars to power the KO Punch? I've just hit the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah on 101% Hard, you see.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Fedule posted:

Speaking as someone who has never actually played Punch Out!, how are you supposed to get Stars to power the KO Punch? I've just hit the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah on 101% Hard, you see.

The issue I had is that the ways to get stars aren't super well documented for any of those fights. In general, you can get stars in Punc Out either by countering an opponent's punch at the right time, altogether pre-empting an opponent's punch by hitting them when the tell for the punch shows up (for instance, punching their wiggling eyebrow or whatever), or occasionally from doing a series of stunned punches and getting one at the end of them. All of those methods do work in one fight or another in this one but they don't always seem consistent.

Speaking specifically about that fight, it's been about half a year, but I seem to remember one particular attack allowing you to get not one but two stars from one flurry of stunned punches. You might consider browsing Youtube and trying to find a couple example fights and seeing if/when they earn stars.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Apparently the key is to sway away from the attacks instead of using ZR to dodge so you have enough time to punch him long enough to drop a star.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vynI6toEXKo This person's playlist has been very helpful for me. Epilogue fight is at the end and there's a timestamp in the description.

Aurora fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 8, 2014

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

the drill from the fast teleporting cats with the drills (I think that one is in the Kahkoo-Regah, though).
You can find one in 008-a, you can also find a giant crab in that operation. The last one I was missing was the spiked hoedown so be sure you grab that one if you haven't.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Aurora posted:

Apparently the key is to sway away from the attacks instead of using ZR to dodge so you have enough time to punch him long enough to drop a star.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vynI6toEXKo This person's playlist has been very helpful for me. Epilogue fight is at the end and there's a timestamp in the description.

Yeah, that's the same guy I found when I was looking for stuff way back when, too. Extremely helpful, indeed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
From what I've been able to gather, the various ways you can do it are:

Diagonal punch/Eyebrow jiggle; counter with punch.
Straight punch/Eye blink; strafe away, punch like mad. I think you can also counter this with an uppercut?
Dial-a-combo; dodge the whole thing, punch like mad. You can get two stars from this.

I _think_ you can also get stars from his crouch/uppercut. Don't think there's any way to counter the sweep kick though.

Also, christ, how the hell does the guy in that video win in only one punch?! No one can mash that fast!

E: Holy gently caress I did it. My heart cannot keep up with the bloodflow to my mashing finger anymore but I did it!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 8, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, so, I have all the Wonderful Figures (yes, including Bayonetta) and I don't have the Hero Collection bottlecap. What gives?

E: Disregard this, somehow I was missing one of the generic ones.

With this, all I have left to do is get one of every GEATHJERK weapon. I know I've gotten the crab claws before, but I think I'm missing the Gehdown cannon. Know a good spot to try and farm one?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 9, 2014

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure there's an encounter with a couple of them fairly near the beginning of 7-A.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kamiya laughs at my pain.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Kamiya laughs at my pain.

What an honor, tbh.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Thanks, everyone.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

Thanks, everyone.

101%. You truly are wonderful.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Dayum Fedule

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Welcome to the club Fedule :)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, I'm trying to do the hard version of the 002-B Kahkoo Region, the one atop the billboard where you have a limited number of morphs. This is probably the least fun I've ever had with this game, and I loving love the game. :( All the spiked enemies are just a massive headache, and all the enemy weapons strewn about do more to hurt me than help, since I usually pick them up on accident when trying to run away - and since I'm trying to run away, it usually means I'm about to get my poo poo kicked in. Any tips in general for this one? I've been abusing dodge slowdown like a motherfucker but still can't pull it off - I can rarely even get passed the first two big guys.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Haha, I just did that one yesterday. I think I spent up to 40 minutes on it, and yeah, I had the same gripes about it. Most important thing to note about that one is that if you kill the little guys then the next wave will spawn, so try not to kill them before you're done with the bigger dudes, otherwise you'll get your poo poo kicked in.

My strategy was: use Hero Time to get slowdown (very easy with spiked enemies, just dodge close to the spikes), then use the biggest UWhip you can use to strip the armour. I tend to wait for them to use the ball attack, get Hero Time, then stun them with a big UWhip. I also use that custom block that lets you get bigger morphs by holding down the attack button as it's faster than redrawing. I didn't have any problems with the morph limit, so don't worry too much about it. Once you get rid of the armour you can deal with the enemies as usual. I use a lot of UGun stinger at that point as it's easier than having to use the Geathjeark weapons. Other than that, good luck.

There's this video that might help as well, but it's a slightly different strategy that uses Hero Sense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMttMxdsFHE

e: also, you can get Hero Time off the spiked balls the tanks shoot in the same way that dodging closed to spiked enemies will, so you can create openings to strip their armour that way as well.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 11, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man, I'm trying to do the hard version of the 002-B Kahkoo Region, the one atop the billboard where you have a limited number of morphs. This is probably the least fun I've ever had with this game, and I loving love the game. :( All the spiked enemies are just a massive headache, and all the enemy weapons strewn about do more to hurt me than help, since I usually pick them up on accident when trying to run away - and since I'm trying to run away, it usually means I'm about to get my poo poo kicked in. Any tips in general for this one? I've been abusing dodge slowdown like a motherfucker but still can't pull it off - I can rarely even get passed the first two big guys.

Yeah, that one's one of the motherfuckers.

The basic strategy is - for the whole fight but especially once the Gehdowns show up (which you should put off as long as possible by trying to keep the Dough-Goos alive) - you should only ever attack while Hero Time is active. Not only because of the risk, but because you are very vulnerable during Pink's spike-armour-pulling-off animation. Seriously, in the time it takes to pull off a Gehdown's shield, it can load, charge and fire its main cannon and gently caress you up. Or one of the other Gehdowns or a Gedie Dough-Goo will attack from offscreen and hit you. So Always Be In Hero Time. Fortunately, it's quite easy to get Hero Time because dodging while near anything spiky will trigger it. Your loop should be; run like gently caress, get close to enemy, dodge, charge up a 50-man whip, pull spikes, repeat until unshielded. Then focus on killing the unshielded enemy to give yourself an easier time.

The weapons lying around can be useful if you use them right; they are by far the quickest way to dispose of an unarmoured enemy and of course they will give you tons of combo points. Just make sure to use the regular cannons and not the laser ones and again, only ever fire them while in Hero Time. As long as you have ten guys you can still dodge while holding GEATHJERK weapons so you can use that to either start your offensive or get a safe opening to try and drop the weapon. Also, as yoshesque said, Gun Stinger is great because it'll do decent damage (plus damage over time) and will eventually stun the enemy - but a barrage of cannon shots fired in Hero Time will kill it right quick. Take your pick. Also, once you remove the spikes from any enemy they'll be stunned, so you can make a 50-man whip and throw them for a big chunk of instant damage. You generally shouldn't do this because juggling is better for your combo, but you really, really don't want to be juggling in this mission.

If you're really getting hit lots you can try equipping Hero Sense for a bit of a safety net at the cost of meter. It's not preferable to rely on Hero Sense but it might save you a few hits, and those few hits might be the difference between defeat and victory.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I feel odd for asking this, but it seemed to be the best place to ask

I've been trying to get into Bayonetta as a Devil May Cry 3 & 4 fan (as well as the original, which I adore but for seperate reasons; it has a certain "old school" quality which is rare for PS2 era games), and it isn't quite clicking. I'm on the level which is two after the first giant boss fight, the fire one which represents the archangel Uriel. Does anyone have any suggestions that may make my life a little bit easier? I can tell this is a really good game because I feel almost unworthy when I play it (much the same as I did when I played Dante in DMC4, which was my first DMC game)

Also I plan to buy a WiiU and Wonderful 101 copy this week, since I adored Viewtiful Joe and its sequel. I can't wait!

e: I bought a WiiU, but Super Mario 3d World. I plan to have my brother buy Wonderful 101, since I spent 300+ dollars on the console and its games.i

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 12, 2014

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

So if you fail a Kahkoo-regah and choose retry it gets counted at the end of the level. But if you choose to not retry you get dumped right at the entrance and can head back in at no penalty? :psyduck: (not counting an extra loading screen)

I guess it's technically correct (the best kind of correct), but not allowing free retries in Kahkoo-regahs seems like a weird oversight.

I read in a guide that the bottlecap for winning a boxing match without taking damage can't be done in a Kahkoo-regah. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
You can also retry a completed Kahkoo-Regah until you get the score you want out of it, if you're so inclined.

• Locked thread