Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The boss fights in this game are incredible. I also love how the game doesn't take an ounce of seriousness about itself. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Should I just start over on Easy if I get my rear end kicked in Assignment 001?

TyrantGuardian
Jan 26, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Not really. The game kind of has to "click", and then it feels great. Then you hit the next difficulty and have to pretty much start from scratch and get that click again, ugh. Such a demanding game, but also very rewarding.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Beat the game. Goddamn, those final levels. I got some serious Gurren-Lagann vibes.

Kurtofan posted:

You don't need to start over, you can change the difficulty on the touch screen at any time between levels.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Anyone able to explain how to use Unite Camp? I can't tell what the button prompt for it is beyond it involves Y, and I can't work out how much energy it needs either (the description is also pretty awkward too).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Wicked Wall posted:

Anyone able to explain how to use Unite Camp? I can't tell what the button prompt for it is beyond it involves Y, and I can't work out how much energy it needs either (the description is also pretty awkward too).

Just hold down the gather button for a few seconds, and you'll do it without any extra input. Keep holding the button down to overcharge the unite gauge.

This is going to be an underrated ability for sure, I'm willing to bet there are battles in the game that can't be won easily (key word there) under the par times for Platinum without the edge overcharging can provide.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Holy poo poo, I love this game and all but how the hell did the "Vorkken's Insides" level get past playtesting? Constant ridiculously hard jumps which you can barely reach, defending against unlimited waves of those drat drills while jumping between platforms (which WILL always hit you and gently caress you around), constantly falling off between jumps since it's too hard to see your leader with your group and the camera perspective.

And it just keeps going ooooooonnnnnnn and oooooonnnnnnnn split up with fighting segments of the slowest and most annoying to deal with pairs of enemies (Maybe I'm just tired, but two of those spiked hoedowns gave me way too much trouble for being this far in the game).

Lastly on a certain boss battle: How are you actually supposed to properly fight Vorkken anyway? I can guts block his fist and hammer attack, and know to spring away after he uses Guts to dodge the sword attack. But everything else is too quick to spring away from and guts won't block because they're all sharp attacks. I'm too much of a scrub to use Ukemi, and I don't quite have Hero Sense yet.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Demo related but I just saw a friend find two secrets I completely did not know about even after playing it myself the ten times.
One of them was a hidden figure at the starting section on the side of the building.

Another time was he fell into the water (where they explain the multiple unite morph thing) and found some people and a secret file.

I just know i'm gonna love this game when it comes out now :allears:

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Super Slash posted:

Holy poo poo, I love this game and all but how the hell did the "Vorkken's Insides" level get past playtesting? Constant ridiculously hard jumps which you can barely reach, defending against unlimited waves of those drat drills while jumping between platforms (which WILL always hit you and gently caress you around), constantly falling off between jumps since it's too hard to see your leader with your group and the camera perspective.

And it just keeps going ooooooonnnnnnn and oooooonnnnnnnn split up with fighting segments of the slowest and most annoying to deal with pairs of enemies (Maybe I'm just tired, but two of those spiked hoedowns gave me way too much trouble for being this far in the game).

Lastly on a certain boss battle: How are you actually supposed to properly fight Vorkken anyway? I can guts block his fist and hammer attack, and know to spring away after he uses Guts to dodge the sword attack. But everything else is too quick to spring away from and guts won't block because they're all sharp attacks. I'm too much of a scrub to use Ukemi, and I don't quite have Hero Sense yet.

I just did both the bits you mentioned in my most recent session, so I feel your pain. The drills can be dealt with using Unify Naginata as it deflects them and if you do a giant one midair you can just spam it to advance and take them all out in one go as they actually are just looping around.

Regarding Vorkken, I found that having Hero Counter (basically Parry Counter from Metal Gear Rising) helped hugely, to the point I got gold for damage on the second part of the fight because I'd go in with sword/fist/hammer and just spam on the stick towards him. He'd hit occasionally with his stuff, but all the stuff he uses at close range is either reflectable with guts (fist, hammer, small tombstone) or can be parried (sword, whip, his own little swipe attacks) so if I just went nuts on him and kept some energy spare for a sudden guts usage I'd end up parrying most of his stuff and not succumbing to the bullshit upward sword swing he sometimes does. I think you can dodge gun with spring but I haven't tried it, and if you use gun against him from range he will instantly return fire with his own annoyingly so it's not worth the hassle.

End of the chapter was cool though, perhaps one of the weakest boss fights so far but also one of the best finishers.

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Saur just destroys everything so easily in that video. Hopefully I can get to that level sometime when I finally get the game. Though I'll probably never be that good, it's good to have something to shoot for. His timing on everything is so good. Here's the video if anyone was wondering where that gif came from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN9IpqaKBVY. That tip with using the unite sword without activating it to gather all the o-parts quickly is pretty nice too. I'm sure that will be useful to know.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Wicked Wall posted:

I just did both the bits you mentioned in my most recent session, so I feel your pain. The drills can be dealt with using Unify Naginata as it deflects them and if you do a giant one midair you can just spam it to advance and take them all out in one go as they actually are just looping around.

I probably should've made a giant one, it just seems a shame you can't constantly keep it spinning. Like in between the short one or two seconds when your last attack stops and your next one spins up, a single drill gets through and it's a nightmare to gather your dudes again to set up a defence.

Also here's a general question; Does anyone know what happens when you rank up your heroes? Quite a lot of mine have filled out experience bars now (Some even have a little star badge on their portrait?) but I haven't noticed anything new besides the rare new fighting moves (Wonderful Rising etc) and extended life gauge.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Super Slash posted:

Also here's a general question; Does anyone know what happens when you rank up your heroes? Quite a lot of mine have filled out experience bars now (Some even have a little star badge on their portrait?) but I haven't noticed anything new besides the rare new fighting moves (Wonderful Rising etc) and extended life gauge.

http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/23/w101-blog-ep-21-be-tough-level-up/

You get new moves and more custom slots.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Ugh, 006-B. Got my first consolation prize in a while.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

So... uhhh... First week Japanese sales for The Wonderful 101: 5,258. This is incredibly low, Nintendo had already decided to ship a low 30,000 retail copies and it failed to make any reasonable dent in that shipment. I've been having some of the most fun playing a game this year with The Wonderful 101, it's ridiculous how poorly this game has been received.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

weird bleep posted:

So... uhhh... First week Japanese sales for The Wonderful 101: 5,258. This is incredibly low, Nintendo had already decided to ship a low 30,000 retail copies and it failed to make any reasonable dent in that shipment. I've been having some of the most fun playing a game this year with The Wonderful 101, it's ridiculous how poorly this game has been received.

Holy poo poo :( Any idea what it shipped in the rest of the world?

I don't have a Wii U but I hate it when a Platinum game completely bombs (Again)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, I expected it to do poorly, but not really that poorly. I guess it makes sense, though: pair a historically poor selling developer with a poor selling console and you're not going to move many units. Shame, because the game really is fantastic.

Another in the long line of Clover/Platinum cult classics, I guess.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Oh my christ... I just finished the game, and this had to be the most extravagant amazing ending I've ever seen. :allears:

Dat button mashing segment! I had to tag team with my wife after fighting the final boss for so long, and it was funny seeing the camera cut to the characters doing exactly the same thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

weird bleep posted:

That is just too depressing. I was 90% sure it was going to bomb just because of the combination of Platinum and the Wii U, but that's a bomb for the ages.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Has any Platinum game not named Metal Gear been a sales hit? I mean Bayonetta is their most revered title, and no one wanted to fund a sequel.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Nope. Every Platinum game is a cult classic, some are just more cult classic than others.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If The Wonderful 101 were on the PS3, it would've have seen much better sales. Like maybe 7k in its first week in Japan.

It's a drat shame, really. Every Platinum/Clover game deserves better sales, but regardless of the platform, they never do. Unless they have the words "Metal Gear" slapped on them.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Maybe Kamiya just doesn't care? They could've made the game way more accessible, and the Nintendo101 probably would have been awesome, but not Kamiya.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bushisms.txt posted:

Maybe Kamiya just doesn't care? They could've made the game way more accessible, and the Nintendo101 probably would have been awesome, but not Kamiya.

He doesn't care. Kamiya doesn't care about review scores (even W101's high ones) or sales figures so long as he got to make his game.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
It sounds like Nintendo was responsible for turning down the Nintendo all-stars concept for the game, but yeah, that is a good point. I'm sure Kamiya would have rather seen this game do better, but if sales were that important to him and Platinum Games, I think the game would have been made to be a lot more accessible.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

njsykora posted:

He doesn't care. Kamiya doesn't care about review scores (even W101's high ones) or sales figures so long as he got to make his game.

I can certainly respect that but it's got to be disheartening to see games that turned out great sell so poorly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kamiya probably is disappointed by low sales, but he doesn't care enough to let it effect him. He's the kind of guy who'll get annoyed about it, but just keep doing his thing because it's what he likes doing.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Kamiya was bitching about Nintendo not marketing the game properly a few months ago. Hopefully he's smart enough to care about sales because if Bayonetta 2 bombs and Nintendo drops them they'll be in a pretty rough spot.

Maybe they can transition to making dating sims seen as they got outsold over 3 to 1 by the vita version of a game about knocking up high school girls (コンセプションⅡ 七星の導きとマズルの悪夢). :japan:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheCoon posted:

Kamiya was bitching about Nintendo not marketing the game properly a few months ago. Hopefully he's smart enough to care about sales because if Bayonetta 2 bombs and Nintendo drops them they'll be in a pretty rough spot.

Maybe they can transition to making dating sims seen as they got outsold over 3 to 1 by the vita version of a game about knocking up high school girls (コンセプションⅡ 七星の導きとマズルの悪夢). :japan:

Konami is, by all reports, very pleased with Metal Gear Rising so it is pretty unlikely Platinum is going to be in bad shape if both games bomb.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

bushisms.txt posted:

Has any Platinum game not named Metal Gear been a sales hit? I mean Bayonetta is their most revered title, and no one wanted to fund a sequel.

Bayonetta wasn't a massive hit, but it performed adequately. The only reason the sequel was canned before Nintendo picked it back up was because of Sega's own internal refocus on Sonic/digital.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheCoon posted:

Platinum's business model is based on getting external contractors to finance all their games, so they don't end up spending a lot of their own capital on any given project. The success or failure of the games they develop only really affects them inasmuch as it can potentially help or hinder future attempts to find work, but in the case of W101 they can just use Nintendo/Wii U as a plausible excuse for why it didn't sell. They'll be fine.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm downloading the demo right now, but from what I can tell so far this will be a day one purchase for me. It will also be the first Wii U game I've purchased. ZombieU seems worth getting, but I'm afraid it's too scary :ohdear:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hideki Kamiya:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/29/platinum-games-expresses-desire-for-wonderful-101-sequel

-Making a sequel to Wonderful 101:

quote:

When IGN Benelux asked the creator of Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101 whether or not he'd like to see a sequel to his most recent game on Wii U (perhaps called The Wonderful 102?) he said, "If I get the chance, I would certainly like to make that game.

"I really have no idea at this point, but I would love to make a sequel to one of my own games. We put a tremendous amount of work into this game and it would be unfortunate if I would not get the chance to tell a new story with these characters.

-Porting Bayonetta 1 on Wii U:

quote:

"I would love to make that happen, so that gamers unfamiliar with the first game get to play it," he explained. "This is just my personal opinion, however. I have not much say over the matter.

-Making Platinum a second party Nintendo game:

quote:

I would love [to become a second-party developer]. It would be great to work more closely with Nintendo.

Please, make it happen. :(

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Can someone clarify the validity of the Sales figures? I was reading that the chart went up two days after W101 was released, so it's only two days worth of sales. There were also claims that Nintendo didn't ship that many copies to begin with.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

JackDarko posted:

Can someone clarify the validity of the Sales figures? I was reading that the chart went up two days after W101 was released, so it's only two days worth of sales. There were also claims that Nintendo didn't ship that many copies to begin with.

The sales figures are legit but like you said, sales figures are for the week and the game didnt come out at the start of the week. Either way they don't factor in the Euro sales and the game isn't out everywhere yet. I do think the game will flop sales wise initially just due to it being a new IP on a console that hasn't taken off. But it should sell well over the consoles life since its something that is unique and quite good.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Bayonetta sold ~2 million copies, so it was a relative hit (on par with the preceding dmc games). Not anything amazing, but nothing bad. Everything else has had relatively meh sales.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Blah, I bought this today and after dying on 001, just said 'gently caress this' and turned it off.
The controls are unintuitive and poo poo. Plain and simple.
The first thing was during the tutorial part when I was asked to draw a circle with R. I rotated the stick then mashed A. 'BARP! Try again', I tried again and again and again before realising no, I don't rotate the pad but draw a large slow circle, which sometimes works or sometimes doesn't.

Second issue is the whole drawing thing. I have two choices
1) Take my hand off the face buttons, use the R stick, draw, then move back to the face buttons
or
2) Take my hand off the face buttons, look away from the TV, look down at the screen and draw, press face button and look back at the TV.

The converting of citizens seems to be fairly glitchy or unintuitive, sometimes they will join me, other times they won't even though I draw a line straight through them. There was a bit on the bus train where I didn't seem to have enough dudes to make the chain to cross the gap, and ahhh gently caress it, I guess this will be a cult classic or some poo poo, but there just seem to be glaring design issues that I can't be hosed fighting though. Controls should be natural, not something you have to fight with in order to play (why can't I remap the 'finish drawing' button to a trigger???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jut posted:

Blah, I bought this today and after dying on 001, just said 'gently caress this' and turned it off.
The first thing was during the tutorial part when I was asked to draw a circle with R. I rotated the stick then mashed A. 'BARP! Try again', I tried again and again and again before realising no, I don't rotate the pad but draw a large slow circle, which sometimes works or sometimes doesn't.

1) Take my hand off the face buttons, use the R stick, draw, then move back to the face buttons
or
2) Take my hand off the face buttons, look away from the TV, look down at the screen and draw, press face button and look back at the TV.

The converting of citizens seems to be fairly glitchy or unintuitive, sometimes they will join me, other times they won't even though I draw a line straight through them. There was a bit on the bus train where I didn't seem to have enough dudes to make the chain to cross the gap, and ahhh gently caress it, I guess this will be a cult classic or some poo poo, but there just seem to be glaring design issues that I can't be hosed fighting though. Controls should be natural, not something you have to fight with in order to play (why can't I remap the 'finish drawing' button to a trigger???

You're not really paying attention to the controls then.

You draw a circle by doing a quick 360 degree movement on the pad. You'll know it is a correct movement because it turns red. You don't need to do a large slow circle at all. Pretty much all of the moves are basically fighting game inputs. You do need to draw larger ones if you want to do stronger (but slower) moves but that's pretty easy to do. It's incredibly low-effort and you are given giant color-coded lines to know when you've done it right.

You convert citizens by circling them, not by drawing a line through them. The game tells you this. You flat-out ignored the instructions which is why you're having trouble. It's extremely lenient towards the requirements which is why it was working for you sometimes. Even a slightly curved line is often enough.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 29, 2013

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Jut posted:

or

That's unfortunate to hear. Figuring out the controls for quick easy drawings is the hardest part of this game I think. Once you can whip out any weapon drawing quickly, then you can really appreciate the game.

You need to approach the weapon drawing like you would say executing a uppercut or fireball in street fighter. Practice until it becomes second nature. Also stick to drawing with the right stick. When converting citizens, your drawing should encompass the citizen, and your drawn line will turn rainbow colored when its working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Joink posted:

That's unfortunate to hear. Figuring out the controls for quick easy drawings is the hardest part of this game I think. Once you can whip out any weapon drawing quickly, then you can really appreciate the game.

You need to approach the weapon drawing like you would say executing a uppercut or fireball in street fighter. Practice until it becomes second nature. Also stick to drawing with the right stick. When converting citizens, your drawing should encompass the citizen, and your drawn line will turn rainbow colored when its working.

The biggest issue for me is the moving around from stick to face to stick to face TBH.

• Locked thread