Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Payday 2 is a co-op FPS developed by Overkill Software, and published by 505 Games. It is a sequel to Payday: The Heist, and is out August 13th on the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC. The game involves the player acting out favorite characters from the popular 1995 movie 'Heat'. You can choose to play as Neil McCauley, Chris Shiherlis, Michael Cheritto, or Waingro. Or alternatively; Dallas, Wolf, Chains, or the best character, Hoxtilicious 'No Longer British' Hoxton.

M.O.? Is that they're good... Once it escalated into a murder one beef for all of 'em after they killed the first two guards, they didn't hesitate. Teabag guard number three because... what difference does it make? Courtesy of Captain Swing

Payday 2 features an expanded mission structure, skill trees, improved weapon modifications, and classes as covered here

Crime Net
The contract database which lets you pick and choose from available jobs from your contacts like "The Elephant", Hector, Vlad the Ukrainian, and who knows who else.

Turns out DC has got a lot of crime.

Multiple stage jobs
Unlike Payday: The Heist, in which maps were just one big monolithic thing, Payday 2 features multi-stage jobs where the heist is spread out over several smaller maps or 'days' and the final day is the 'payday'. The AI Director that was in the first game is here as well, so the maps still have some random elements as well as stages between each day which contain maps that you have to escape.

Paydays
When you complete a heist you get a choice between three cards for your Payday, the cards are the method in which you get your weapon modifications, masks, and mask customization options

And leads to great things like this:

Capn Beeb posted:

I got a good feelin' 'bout this! :buddy:

:suicide:

Skill Trees/Classes
Payday 2 features more defined classes and better fleshed out skill trees instead of fixed trees of unlocks.

Mastermind
The Mastermind is the manipulative leader who excels at crowd control, and also happens to carry a doctor bag just because.

Enforcer
WaingroThe Enforcer is a violent criminal who enjoys saws, shotguns, and some bad rear end heavy armor with one of the final skills. He also carries ammo bags.

Poster 'Insert name here' also has some useful information regarding the Enforcer ammo bag

Insert name here posted:

So after doing some testing with the ammo bag in the safe house I found the following:
  • It's not split between primary and secondary ammo; there's just one pool of ammo that weapons draw from
  • How much weapons draw from is based on a percentage of how much ammo you've used so an empty AK draws just as much as an empty M14 which draws just as much as an empty 1911 and so on
  • A default bag holds enough ammo for exactly 4 full refills (400% ammo if you want to think of it as a percentage)
  • The Enforcer skill that increases the capacity of the ammo bag gives you 50% more ammo per bag (so 6 full refills/600% ammo)
  • The game will always prioritize filling up your secondary first before your primary, so if both your primary and secondary are completely out of ammo, and the bag has exactly 1 full refill left (or 100% ammo) then your secondary will be refilled completely and your primary will still be empty
I checked about the last half or so of this thread and didn't see anything posted like this w/r/t to the ammo bag so sorry if this is a repost. :shobon:

Technician
The Technician is a class that revolves around trip mines, improved drilling, and later in the tree, utilizing your sentry gun. The Technician starts with trip mines for it's class skill.

Ghost
The Ghost is a stealthy thief who can cart all the dead bodies your crew makes. The Ghost class carries the ECM Jammer which when used can temporarily to cancel out electronic devices like alarms, cameras, and cell phones.

Other things

I LIKE SECRETS WHERE IS BALDWIN
Secrets thread is here!

Is there a steam group
Yes! In PGS here.

Is there an 360 tag gamer group thing?
GT: PaydayGoons (Thanks user Joerules)

Please use a mic if you have one
Seriously don't be that guy who can't communicate with your crew.

Here's a skill calculator
Because this wouldn't be a proper game without you endlessly plotting out your character

Know Your Enemy
There's a few different tiers of cops that you will be encountering through your heists, and it ramps up quickly depending on the difficulty of the heist.

The basic level is just Metropolitan Police. They tend to use pistols or shotguns, and after the alarms are raised are usually the first responders and the first assault wave. After the first assault wave they are typically replaced by SWAT teams.

'Tier 1' is the SWAT team, typically sporting an Compact-5 or shotgun, and are probably the most common enemy through the heist on normal and (though less so) hard difficulties. There is also a yellow variant that carries the same gear but have more health and armor. One of the early specials you will encounter is a riot shield wearing SWAT.

'Tier 2' FBI Heavy Response Units are more dangerous than your typical SWAT units and appear as the image below, they have a brown and dark green-ish uniform.

The 'tier 3' are Special Ops: Maximum Force Responders, which include a few of the bigger pain in the asses for specials and units which include Bulldozers (EOD equipped units who use a shotgun), FBI heavy shields, tasers, really dumb heavy armored units that seem to only go down via headshots (the middle photo), and spooks which are not to be confused with the dumb heavy armored units.

In between assault waves you will get Hostage Rescue Units that have the same health as blue SWAT and attempt to rescue hostages.

I HAVE A WEAPON MOD WHY CAN'T I USE IT?
So when you get a weapon mod from your payday cards, you can only get weapon mods for the weapons that you can buy at that moment. When you do get a weapon mod, it shows up in your inventory, and when you go into the 'modify weapon' section for you gun, you'll see the the weapon mod that is available to 'craft'/attach. You are not stuck with it when you attach a mod to a certain weapon, you can remove the mod to reattach it to something else. Now some mods are specific to the type of gun that it's available for but it seems like some things (the military red dot sight that you get from the CCE edition, for instance) will work for just about most things. You can also go into the buy section for weapons and hit 'available mods' to see what you have that you can use on whatever weapon you plan on using.

Weapon and skills information
Courtesy of poster 'Anuj' and 'Carecat'
Full weapon statistics

anuj posted:

I found some fun stuff. Then I spent WAAAY TOO MUCH GODDAMN TIME formatting it.

Payday 2 Beta Skill Explanations - LUA Script - as of Patch #3
http://www.privatepaste.com/5b4e08ecc0

code:
			-- SILENCE_EXPERT
	self.values.weapon.silencer_recoil_multiplier	= { 0.5 }		-- BASIC
	self.values.weapon.silencer_spread_multiplier	= { 0.5 }		-- ACE
	self.values.weapon.silencer_enter_steelsight_speed_multiplier	= { 2.0 }	-- ACE

-- HITMAN
	self.values.weapon.silencer_damage_multiplier	= { 1.1, 1.2 }	-- BASIC, ACE
50% less spread/recoil, 2x quicker ADS for Silencer Expert, 1.1/1.2x more damage for Hitman.

Carecat posted:

Damage values from the beta data posted top of the page. The data anuj found doesn't have any clues to damage falloff, except for shotguns which do have variable damage with range.

I'm surprised the UAR is the same damage as the CAR4 and holy poo poo look at the Crosskill, it's got assault rifle damage.

JP36 and AK5 could be awful unless they can be modded to laser accuracy and super low recoil. Which is still awful.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwJ0tL8Fi-E - Payday web series episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbFrvg8J9rY - Payday web series episode 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxuIDHHoR70 - Payday web series episode 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf-HrDaw1mg - Payday web series episode 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3XGXGigGI - Developer Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT2YmJjiiHQ - VG247 Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v_Y_3-7-pQ - Gamespot Preview, Art Heist

Payday 2 releases August 13th!

Feel free to shout at me to add or remove things as my posting is as bad as my heisting.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Just a few hours left until this unlocks. Time to go to sleep for that 4AM CST unlock time. :getin:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good op, dude. Worthy of Wolf's great game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Am I right in thinking that this sounds like an expanded Left 4 Dead, only with cops and crime instead of zombies and survival? The idea of surviving through a level with spawning waves of enemies and unique/somewhat randomized objectives puts me in mind of it.

I'm also curious as to how many maps there are going to be at release. A lot of the areas in that preview picture look like they're the same area. If it's just three or four the amount of randomization had better be really high.

Edit: I just watched the E3 stage video. Holy poo poo, that's pretty neat looking.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

Archonex posted:

Am I right in thinking that this sounds like an expanded Left 4 Dead, only with cops and crime instead of zombies and survival? The idea of surviving through a level with spawning waves of enemies and unique/somewhat randomized objectives puts me in mind of it.

I'm also curious as to how many maps there are going to be at release. A lot of the areas in that preview picture look like they're the same area. If it's just three or four the amount of randomization had better be really high.

That screenshot is from the beta, which only has a few different jobs. There's a lot more in the full game; plus, many jobs have multiple days (maps).

Payday 1 was decent but pretty rough in lots of areas. I've already played the beta of this for longer than I played the full version of Payday 1.

versus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

Edit: I just watched the E3 stage video. Holy poo poo, that's pretty neat looking.

There's at least 15 separate heists. Randomization isn't super prevalent, it's mainly in camera placing and guard patching from what we see in the beta. The other stuff (like the security room in Bank Heist) only has half a dozen variations at most. Some are better than others.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
^^^ Don't forget doors being locked or open, fence placement, item placement (like boards for windows, safes, etc), and objective placement, all of which get randomized fairly frequently.

Archonex posted:

Payday definitely drew inspiration from L4D, infact, in the first game they eventually included a free DLC map based around Mercy Hospital. The protagonists from Payday are implied to be responsible for the L4D outbreak. As for how many maps, I don't know if a solid number has been posted yet, but we had access to 7 or so in the beta, and I know there's at LEAST one more they've mentioned debuting at launch. One thing to bear in mind is you can't access all the levels immediately, and need to do some leveling up to get some of the higher tier missions to unlock.

Ataru13 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 13, 2013

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
What's the max level you can reach in the full version? Have they announced this?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Brackhar posted:

What's the max level you can reach in the full version? Have they announced this?

100 in the full version.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

Maximum level is 100, but you do get some bonus skillpoints along the way, bringing your total to 120.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Do we know if there will be a tutorial in the released version of the game, or is there perhaps a good guide online somewhere?

I tried the Beta with a friend, but we ran around like headless chickens not knowing what the hell we were doing. And this was on the easiest map we could select (jewelry store heist), so I don't even want to imagine the harder maps.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Anyone care to critique this build? I am mainly aiming for a build that kills and kills some more. I generally use an AK for primary and the locomotive shotgun for secondary.

http://goo.gl/b9raSz

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 13, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
On the topic of Steam groups: Is there an Australian Steam group? Sucks to be apart of a group that's mostly made up of US/Europeans so you still can't really play with them.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Lamquin posted:

Do we know if there will be a tutorial in the released version of the game, or is there perhaps a good guide online somewhere?

I tried the Beta with a friend, but we ran around like headless chickens not knowing what the hell we were doing. And this was on the easiest map we could select (jewelry store heist), so I don't even want to imagine the harder maps.

Don't know about a guide online or a tutorial, but it's not too difficult generally, really just playing with people you'll learn little things here and there that will make the heists better. Just play the heists and get a feel for the maps. Or better yet, have you and your friend play with some goons.

You'll definitely get a better feel for the maps as you play them and try different things.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
It's not too hard to learn the basics in the game but if you are concerned play with goons I know I would have no problems walking someone through a heist. Although, I have only played since Sunday.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 13, 2013

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Got this game today off GMG and also got the career criminal pack because GMG doesn't include the preorder bonus loot bag and the future DLC mission apparently. Still saved a few dollars anyways. I vastly prefer this one over the first game. The first game was clunky, it was hard to get a mission done since they took so long. Also the endless waves of enemies until you actually finished the task was annoying. Almost no breathing room unlike this one.

They REALLY improved on the sequel. Even in the 3 runs I've done so far it's been a blast unlike the first game.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I'm glad my favorite feature from the first game - helmets and hats flying off when you headshot someone - is still included

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I don't work tomorrow and this releases at 2am here. Anyone else super-tempted to get sleep madness over this?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm really curious how much functionality the Safe House actually has. Overkill has hinted at greater functionality, but so far nobody knows poo poo.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I'd love some feedback on this build. I was considering ditching the Ghost skills and adding Mag Plus, Overkill, Bullet Storm, and another low level skill.

Jokerfish
May 3, 2007

Bait Master

Not complaining but I don't remember ever seeing a game release at 5am before. I understand the devs are European though. Guess that just goes to show you how community-oriented they are, which is nice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Archonex posted:

Yes it does have similarities to Left 4 Dead in the overall Co-op design but still has enough new concepts to keep it interesting such as hostage control/unique mission designs. For example has universe crossover level in the Left 4 Dead Hospital that has so neat stealth element choices and finesse approach for the first stages of the level before getting to the more violent part of the heist.

Plus it's even more enjoyable if you are a fan of heist movies.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Reposting my ammo bag info from the last thread because some people might find it useful/interesting:

Insert name here posted:

So after doing some testing with the ammo bag in the safe house I found the following:
  • It's not split between primary and secondary ammo; there's just one pool of ammo that weapons draw from
  • How much weapons draw from is based on a percentage of how much ammo you've used so an empty AK draws just as much as an empty M14 which draws just as much as an empty 1911 and so on
  • A default bag holds enough ammo for exactly 4 full refills (400% ammo if you want to think of it as a percentage)
  • The Enforcer skill that increases the capacity of the ammo bag gives you 50% more ammo per bag (so 6 full refills/600% ammo)
  • The game will always prioritize filling up your secondary first before your primary, so if both your primary and secondary are completely out of ammo, and the bag has exactly 1 full refill left (or 100% ammo) then your secondary will be refilled completely and your primary will still be empty

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jokerfish posted:

Not complaining but I don't remember ever seeing a game release at 5am before. I understand the devs are European though. Guess that just goes to show you how community-oriented they are, which is nice.

Yeah, a 10am release time is perfectly fine. For once America is not #1!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Insert name here posted:

Reposting my ammo bag info from the last thread because some people might find it useful/interesting:

Would you mind if I took this to add to the OP as it is really good info?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

dreffen posted:

Would you mind if I took this to add to the OP as it is really good info?
Go for it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone doing a 4-pack? Really interested in getting it early, as I loved Payday 1 and have been playing the beta non-stop.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
I have 2 spots left on a normal edition 4 pack if anyone is interested PM me here or add me on steam (same as my SA name). The SA Mart thread seems to only get looked at sporadically so I thought I'd mention it here.

For actual content:

I asked in the other thread, but are there any newbie guides or I guess suggested builds for someone totally new to Payday? (I played played like an hour of the original)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Atoramos posted:

I'm really curious how much functionality the Safe House actually has. Overkill has hinted at greater functionality, but so far nobody knows poo poo.

The Beta was about 1/4 of the full game, so I imagine there is much that we will learn once the game releases officially. On top of that, they've promised to release more DLC over the course of the year, which means greater functionality might be added in subsequent updates.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I ended up not getting tomorrow off, so now I'm contemplating pulling an all-nighter, working midnight-8AM, then coming home and playing this game all day. I haven't been this hype for a release in a while.

Krabkolash posted:

I asked in the other thread, but are there any newbie guides or I guess suggested builds for someone totally new to Payday? (I played played like an hour of the original)

If in doubt, just go for an enforcer build - being better in combat will probably help a newbie more than cool tricks from the other trees (it also lets you become Ironman).

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Atoramos posted:

Given the security cameras in the Safe House, and how they look out onto the streets, I'm betting that at some point in the future we will get "Safehouse Attack" DLC that will have the FBI attacking the Safe House to try and take down the gang once and for all.
Or maybe it's in the retail game but only when everyone in your party is 145++ and has gold masks or something?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Great OP. Worthy of the wolf.

On another note, do we have any way of forming goon squads for tomorrow's power-grind off ?

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"

LuiCypher posted:

The Beta was about 1/4 of the full game, so I imagine there is much that we will learn once the game releases officially. On top of that, they've promised to release more DLC over the course of the year, which means greater functionality might be added in subsequent updates.

Didn't they also say that, much like Payday 1, only the host of a game would need to own the DLC for all the players in his game to play it with him? I always thought it was really cool of them to allow that in the first one and I could've sworn one of the designers tweeted something saying they were keeping that policy for this release.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Someone asked earlier how this game compared to the first Payday and the best and most succinct way I could describe it is that Payday 2 makes Payday 1 seem like a proof of concept. Really, Payday 2 improves on every single aspect of Payday 1 and adds much more depth.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Doctor Doctor posted:

Didn't they also say that, much like Payday 1, only the host of a game would need to own the DLC for all the players in his game to play it with him? I always thought it was really cool of them to allow that in the first one and I could've sworn one of the designers tweeted something saying they were keeping that policy for this release.

Yeah when they announced the free dlc that everyone was getting with their prepurchase they said they were maintaining that policy.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Does the beta client on Steam turn into the retail/full client on release or do I seriously need to dl both despite it basically being the full game..?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nihilist Duck posted:

Does the beta client on Steam turn into the retail/full client on release or do I seriously need to dl both despite it basically being the full game..?

The Beta client is just for the beta test. The full game is a separate library entry and requires a download.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Derek Dominoe posted:

I'd love some feedback on this build. I was considering ditching the Ghost skills and adding Mag Plus, Overkill, Bullet Storm, and another low level skill.
Silent Drilling does not meld with your Doomguy persona, trade it for Ace Blast Radius. Take off Ace skills from Cleaner and Cat Burglar, and go Ace Fast Hands. The extra tier on Ghost will further improve dodge while running, as you needed it for Doom.

Agrajag posted:

Anyone care to critique this build? I am mainly aiming for a build that kills and kills some more. I generally use an AK for primary and the locomotive shotgun for secondary.

http://goo.gl/b9raSz
Switch your Ace Portable Saw for Carbon Blade. They seem to do the same thing and you get 4 skill points to respec. Put those in Endurance so you don't sound like you have breathing problems.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 13, 2013

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Scalding Coffee posted:

Silent Drilling does not meld with your Doomguy persona, trade it for Ace Blast Radius. Take off Ace skills from Cleaner and Cat Burglar, and go Ace Fast Hands. The extra tier on Ghost will further improve dodge while running, as you needed it for Doom.

Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't necessarily going for Doomguy. My original plan was Mastermind + Technician, but the guys I mostly play with already have Mastermind and Ghost well-covered. I was going more for "guy who can open anything, and silently if necessary, and then provides cover when things get noisy". My main motivation for the trip mine tree was actually the shaped charges. I figure I can pick, saw, drill, blast, or even shotgun open anything while providing solid combat support. Or are the shaped charges redundant with the saw? If that's the case, I'll probably abandon the trip mines altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Should note for anyone coming fresh into the game, the real battle is not trying to kill all the cops, but to accomplish your objective before you run out of bullets. You live and die by your ammo.

So always bring a couple bags of it. And shoot for the head. *Always*. If you don't get that down then you will lose in Very Hard and Overkill when those (god drat) tan SWAT show up and reflect 75% of your shots to the chest. *Aim for the head*

• Locked thread