Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1142 »
turn left hillary!! noo
Feb 12, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

I've made some wildly unpopular suggestions that would make HR do anything at all ahead of the start date of a new hire at my place and christ on a cracker management acted like I a suggested they fire up the ovens and start rounding up minorities.

Probably depends on where you work....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

management acted like I a suggested they fire up the ovens and start rounding up minorities.

So you got promoted for finding a way to save on labor costs?

Promoted in title only, of course.

ratbert90
Feb 12, 2009
JUST FUCKING STOP, JESUS H. CHRIST

Wrong thread!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Renegret posted:

The problem is that people aren't held accountable for their queues.

MANime in the sheets posted:

Oh look someone else has the same job I do!

Hi buddies from other companies,

I too, am a part of the endless-routing/customer-advocate/lack of ITIL accountability-or-responsibility/rage-against-the-ticket-machine crew

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

tactlessbastard posted:

I've made some wildly unpopular suggestions that would make HR do anything at all ahead of the start date of a new hire at my place and christ on a cracker management acted like I a suggested they fire up the ovens and start rounding up minorities.

One of the hospitals has a, in my opinion, remarkably slow turn around to reset someones credentials if they get locked out of their system. Besides the work flow I have a feeling this is also to encourage people to use some common sense and remember their log in info

Renegret posted:

Aged tickets for us is over 4 weeks and we originally had over six thousand of them before a recent push to bring that number down. Right now we're at 1029 which is a huge improvement, but without some sort of process change that number's only going to go up again. (Depending on the day we go through around 600 tickets/day so relatively speaking 1,000 aint so bad)

My wildly unpopular solution is just to bill departments for open tickets because money is the only thing that makes people do anything around here. We're only treating the symptom here by reviewing old tickets. The problem is a lack of accountability on non-outages.

Our software vendor just have recently done a purge similar to this because all of tickets I opened when we got into bed with them nearly three years ago are slowly getting closed. Based on the people I have come across in the medical community I can only imagine the quality of those tickets. Mine, however are for the most part very well written and are asking questions that will most likely result in a phone call anyways but I want someone to at least have an idea of what I'm looking for before they call me.

One of these such tickets that got closed recently managed to piss me off so much I'm surprised I didn't pass out I was so angry. The janky rear end method I was given to make some of the reporting modules work properly was completely unacceptable for the industry, and the cost of the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Venting a bit, I'm sure you've all dealt with utterly inadequate information in tickets before.

I'm a developer and regularly receive escalation emails from customer support (who should not be escalating to me directly but they do it anyway because there's no consequences wheeee!). Every time I get one it has 1/8 of a description of the problem, and none of the unique identifying information like "customer ID" so we can, you know, reproduce the problem and closely examine the exact customer having said problem.

Today I got an escalation that looked like this:

quote:

I can do a thing and I should be able to do the thing.

ab37209a
3-291828

This is not me just making the email unidentifiable to anonymous internet strangers; I did some of that but other than changing the format and using the word "thing," that was the whole email. One sentence saying he could do something that he should be able to do (I'm not making a typo: he forgot the " n't " on either the word "can" or "should"), and two completely unlabeled values that could have meant one of several different things each.

What he should have sent me was:

quote:

I can do a thing when I SHOULDN'T be able to do the thing, under a very specific set of circumstances which I will now detail:
1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 3
etc.

It happens when I use the following values:

Property ID: ab37209a
Customer Account Number: 3-291828

After I asked about a dozen questions for basic information like ID numbers and steps to reproduce the problem one at a time in order from first to last (some of which went unanswered), they let me know that this wasn't a show stopper bug, it was just a weird corner case someone found and reported. So instead of making any progress on the titanic pile of features that sales wants development to finish yesterday, I got to waste my time entertaining a trivia question from someone who couldn't be bothered to divulge basic information without me digging for it with a loving steam shovel.

That's my Ticket Came In story, have a good night.

«1142 »