Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1210 »
Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Pillbug

The Pi only has a single USB2 bus for all of its I/O which is why I gave up on using one as a torrent box with an external drive; it downloads just fine and power consumption is great, but copying anything off takes way too long.

A NAS doesn't take much processing power though, you're right about that. My current home server is a Haswell E3 Xeon and writing to its software (mdadm) RAID5 at 110MBps only uses about 15% of one core. You could use pretty much any machine with a couple spare SATA ports to run it, the power consumption would be my main concern with something older.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2017 around 16:45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Chrome OS is shit for idiots

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah, okay. I was under the impression it had a USB 3 port, which at least hypothetically gets faster performance than SATA? Iíve never tested it, maybe thereís a gotcha to that.

I didnít think a NAS would need much processing power, but I will freely admit I have never worked on one so I guess Iím wrong.

Maybe I should just just get an older computer from the college surplus store and a RAID controller card? Thereís plenty of Optiplexes with older i5s and 8GB for $150-200.

I really only would need RAID 1, I donít have a ton of stuff. Maybe 1 - 1.5TB between all three of our computers. Doesnít seem to make sense to buy three disks when two 3-4TB disks would be easily enough for the foreseeable future.

The current Raspberry Pi devices are all USB 2.0 only. There's a number of similar tiny cheap computers out there that do have USB 3.0 and gigabit ethernet though, like the ODROID-XU4 which sells for $59: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/prod...e=G143452239825

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OTOH, what not to do with RAID0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Methanar posted:

Hardware raid is cancer. Always use software raid.

Wrong. Though I agree with the hobby statement.

Oh this again?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Two refunds from AT&T came in...

They refunded $100 for a tablet they weren't supposed to charge for (and actually sent me to collections for after months of not responding to my emails requesting info, which made me drop a load of loving fury on our poor rep). The other was over $1000 for a copper line they were clearly overcharging us for.

The business department is looking at me like I'm the chosen one, getting AT&T to send us money instead of the other way around.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

divabot posted:

It's insane to use consumer kit like Buffalo for business use. But how actually are Buffalos for home use? I'm in need of a home NAS and going "ouch" at the price tag on a QNAP.

Don't. The firmware lives on the drive so if something happens the whole kit is useless. And if the drive gets too full, it fails. Taking the firmware with it.

Ask me how I know this.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

Why should I follow your Founder when he is not an Eighth Level anything outside his own cult?

Samizdata posted:

Don't. The firmware lives on the drive so if something happens the whole kit is useless. And if the drive gets too full, it fails. Taking the firmware with it.

Ask me how I know this.

... wat.

anyway, have decided to asked the loved one to build a mini-ITX fulla drive bays, cos she's good at this hardware crap. Then FreeNAS and life is grrrreat!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

divabot posted:

... wat.

anyway, have decided to asked the loved one to build a mini-ITX fulla drive bays, cos she's good at this hardware crap. Then FreeNAS and life is grrrreat!

Yeah, it's a thing.

Some models have a bootstrap firmware that allows you to reload the bufallo software if it gets wiped/corrupted, but other models you basically have a useless brick.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Samizdata posted:

Ask me how I know this.

So much like how some OEMs used to do with their computers many years ago. The BIOS setup utility would be on a special hardisk partition. If you formatted it, you lost it.

Jeoh
Jul 20, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Ask me how I know this.

By following this thread's Tale of the Buffalo, of course!

I honestly don't get why people wouldn't just get a Synology NAS, unless they have a massive storage need for some reason.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Jeoh posted:

I honestly don't get why people wouldn't just get a Synology NAS, unless they have a massive storage need for some reason.

The greatest thing about our Synology NAS is that I often forget it's there. I bought two more this year and will buy another next year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

We've got this thing licked!

Samizdata posted:

Ask me how I know this.

I actually have a theory about what's going on there; I reckon somewhere in the firmware it's explicitly programmed as what the drive claims the size to be rather than the physical storage space. So, say you have a 2TB drive, it's going to be fine right up until it hits around 1.82/1.83TB of storage.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Jeoh posted:

Rolling your own is fun? That's 90% of why I built my own computer.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dragonshardz posted:

Rolling your own is fun? That's 90% of why I built my own computer.
Sometimes it's fun, sometimes you're tired and you just want it to loving work.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Then do it right the first time, and you won't have to gently caress with it.

It's pretty goddamn hard to mess things up these days, unless you have a special talent for it. Especially if you roll a bog standard PC with a NAS distro.

D. Ebdrup
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Hardware RAID makes no sense when you're hobbying and don't have a support contract that can get you the same card running the same firmware when it blows up.
Hardware RAID is just someone elses software RAID running in firmware that you can neither inspect nor reason about, and the support contract isn't a real argument because there are plenty of companies who'll let you pay them to provide you support on various software RAID solutions that are as production tested as hardware RAID.

fishmech posted:

Software RAID 1 running on a Raspberry Pi is going to have pretty bad performance, but you already have pretty bad performance trying to run multiple disks and a network connection at once through the single USB 2.0 hub they'll all be hooked up to on the device.
I'm very much looking forward to the new ARM implimentations where the advanced SIMD in ARM v8+ can be used to preform hardware accelerated calculations used for ZFS (xor, aes, sha-2 and lzjb if I recall correctly, with lz4 and zstd being optional).
Should make a low-power device more than capable of handling ZFS for networked storage. Hopefully RISC-V will get to that point too, although it's quite a few years away yet.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I seem to smell the stench of appeasement in the air.

anthonypants posted:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The greatest thing about our Synology NAS is that I often forget it's there. I bought two more this year and will buy another next year.

In the past 2 years, I think I have spent longer maintaining my rice cooker (excluding cleaning) than I have my Synology

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

If you'd just keep up with the rice cooker firmware updates, you wouldn't have to spend so long on maintenance.

LordVorbis
Feb 6, 2003

Could people please stop fighting the avatar war over my avatar. I really appreciate people being nice about it but I'm feeling crappier that people are wasting money because someone is an asshole than I am about the avatar in the first place.

Steakandchips posted:

Why was it 8mb if itís just supposed to be a summary?

Because all the data it pulled from was live, so if you excluded the data when you saved it was much smaller. However, given that they wanted all the blown up expanded pages already done for them, I had to include the raw data in the sheet so it would show what it looked like on the monday when I put it together. Rather then whenever they opened it. It was a mess.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I bought a buffalo rice cooker, filled it as far as the manual said and it fired rice everywhere and wouldn't turn back on.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Fil5000 posted:

I bought a buffalo rice cooker, filled it as far as the manual said and it fired rice everywhere and wouldn't turn back on.

It stopped working because you filled it up too much.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Malek posted:

It stopped working because you filled it up too much.

https://i.imgur.com/rhRN3JE.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wibla posted:

Then do it right the first time, and you won't have to gently caress with it.

It's pretty goddamn hard to mess things up these days, unless you have a special talent for it. Especially if you roll a bog standard PC with a NAS distro.
That's right, which is why Synology was recommended.

«1210 »