Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
While I appreciate the input of qualified professionals, I have instead decided to place my cousin's teenage son in charge of this project, as I hear that he is very good with computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Data Graham posted:

We've moved all our threads to a microservices architecture, right? So we can start new threads anytime we want to? Unless they have interdependencies we don't tell each other about I guess, but I mean I trust my guys.

I wrote up a quick test over the weekend in Node.js and stuck it in a docker container in AWS and it was super easy, so I'm thinking it'll be like a weeks work top to convert our existing architecture over

Oh, no, I already told the CEO about it, he said it sounds good to him and he's already called our vendors to cancel our colo hosting by Feb 1st, that should be fine, right?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Do we have a success story for the new OP? Anyone want anything in particular included besides a link to this one?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Retrospectives of goons and their :yotj: stories are always good.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

Do we have a success story for the new OP? Anyone want anything in particular included besides a link to this one?

Dramatic reading of larches' saga in iambic pentameter?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Burning Tony in effigy

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Thanks Ants posted:

The CEO says he can just drive down to the corner and buy a thread from there, why is there a lead time on this?

Good news, the CEO got caught with the secretary in the server room so he's getting let go by the board.

Also, the VM host has stains and probably a voided warranty.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

kensei posted:

The lardtop story

e. and the crusty old IT guy who refused to let users have Outlook rules because "they just mess everything up" among many other things I can't remember atm

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Malek posted:

Also, the VM host has stains and probably a voided warranty.

Looks like we have a thread title

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I mean, we have the core thread architecture now right? Let's just launch it and we can bolt on an OP later when it's ready.

Nah. We need to get the documentation nailed down now... What are we using to index it?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Am I too late to sign up to be the dev with local admin that fucks up his machine every month trying to install the new hipness package?

And then fucks up the Git repo by somehow pushing merge requests that revert several critical hotfixes on the master branch :argh:

Data Graham posted:

Yes the app has been in production for months, and all dev tasks are unplanned/SLA-driven and require quick turnaround, but we need to adhere to agile and vote on the complexity/importance of every issue on the roadmap and lock the work for the sprint on Monday morning

I just got flashbacks. Wow.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

kensei posted:

The last few pages.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Merijn posted:

And then fucks up the Git repo by somehow pushing merge requests that revert several critical hotfixes on the master branch :argh:

That's reply several critical hotfixes :colbert:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Merijn posted:

Am I too late to sign up to be the dev with local admin that fucks up his machine every month trying to install the new hipness package?

I just got flashbacks. Wow.

Lol like that isn't every dev

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
Hey guys, I know it's last minute, but I just found out from compliance that we're going to need localization options for Spanish, French and Hebrew in place before we can go forward with the new thread. That should only delay is a couple of hours at most, right?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Allegedly Allergic posted:

Hey guys, I know it's last minute, but I just found out from compliance that we're going to need localization options for Spanish, French and Hebrew in place before we can go forward with the new thread. That should only delay is a couple of hours at most, right?

Shouldn't be too bad. Also, can someone whip up some code to handle time zones? Shouldn't be too hard, just add and subtract a few hours depending on where they are. Easy!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I've been asked to see if we can get a search function built into the thread. Just the new thread, we don't need to be able to search OTHER threads.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I made a couple of posts to the new thread and now I can't find it anymore. Please make sure they're returned ASAP!!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Hi, GDPR guidance just came down, so I'm glad to hear the thread starter's business unit is absolutely accepting legal compliance responsibilities

what was that, you're ok to delete it? I'll get to that straight away

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Shouldn't be too bad. Also, can someone whip up some code to handle time zones? Shouldn't be too hard, just add and subtract a few hours depending on where they are. Easy!

Of all suggestions in this thread this one made me cringe most.

Obligatory https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dear Sysadmin,

I need root access to the production box.

Thank you :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iospace posted:

Dear Sysadmin,

Hi, I'm piggy-backing onto the request to get my whole team added as local-admin on this production server. We need so we can support our customers.

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
While we're at it, I've noticed that coinbase.com isnt accessible, I need that whitelisted asap. It's affecting production.

Cc: CEO, CFO, Your Manager

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

Hi, I'm piggy-backing onto the request to get my whole team added as local-admin on this production server. We need so we can support our customers.

God, you just reminded me that I have domain admin rights on our production servers. I have rights to ADSIedit for our client facing AD group.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

iospace posted:

Dear Sysadmin,

img-triggered.gif

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Hello,

Just got off from phone with the Big Cheese himself and it seems the DeadGayForums Inc. will be in for a quite a change soon.
There have been hushed talks of this XenForo business for months now and many of you have questioned the sanity of spending time and money on new it thread on the old hardware.

At the telecon with the top management we tried to put our best heads together and finally struck gold.

The work underway to replace the SH/SC RE: Ticket thread is to CEASE IMMEDIATELY.
The DeadGayForums Inc. will lease from an outside vendor a temporary RE:Ticket Thread (Most likely a TwidditBook, but we are considering other options)
After the Xenforo project finally completes, we will look into resuming an in-house development of the RE: Ticket Thread

"Please note. The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual named above and others who have been specially authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. The attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving our E-mail system. DeadGayForums Incorporated shall not be liable for any consequences of any virus being passed on. "
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Sormus posted:

Hello,

Just got off from phone with the Big Cheese himself and it seems the DeadGayForums Inc. will be in for a quite a change soon.
There have been hushed talks of this XenForo business for months now and many of you have questioned the sanity of spending time and money on new it thread on the old hardware.

At the telecon with the top management we tried to put our best heads together and finally struck gold.

The work underway to replace the SH/SC RE: Ticket thread is to CEASE IMMEDIATELY.
The DeadGayForums Inc. will lease from an outside vendor a temporary RE:Ticket Thread (Most likely a TwidditBook, but we are considering other options)
After the Xenforo project finally completes, we will look into resuming an in-house development of the RE: Ticket Thread

"Please note. The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual named above and others who have been specially authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. The attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving our E-mail system. DeadGayForums Incorporated shall not be liable for any consequences of any virus being passed on. "
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

I don’t want to play this game any more

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah holy poo poo that's a trigger right there

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, my mom says you have to go home now.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sormus posted:

Hello,

:randno: :golfclap:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The deadline is here, and still no deliverable??? Heads are going to roll.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Did anyone think to invite Bob to the planning meetings? It clearly isn't my department's responsibility, but he needed to be involved from the beginning. Without his input and assistance we simply can't get this new thread off the ground.

Who was responsible for making sure Bob was looped in?!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Did anyone think to invite Bob to the planning meetings? It clearly isn't my department's responsibility, but he needed to be involved from the beginning. Without his input and assistance we simply can't get this new thread off the ground.

Who was responsible for making sure Bob was looped in?!

Ummmm, no one told you? Well, you see Bob left the company to explore new career horizons.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Samizdata posted:

Ummmm, no one told you? Well, you see Bob left the company to explore new career horizons.

....three months ago.

Why, did you need to disable his accounts or something? I'm sure it's fine. Oh by the way, my password isn't being accepted - I had made it my uncle's brother's roommate's birthday so it was super secure but that wasn't working so I changed it to 12345 to match what I have on my luggage, but I guess something went wrong? It's telling me "invalid username" - not sure what that means but I keep typing in the right password and I've made sure it matches what I have written on the post-it on my monitor. Can you take a look ASAP please? I'm trying to login so I can send this important wire transfer request that just came in from the CEO - not sure why he needs it right now but he said he's out of the office and it's really urgent so I gotta get it done before tomorrow. Let me know when you've fixed the password issue.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I really loving hate every single one of you. This is pretty much exactly how I didn't want to start the new year.

A ransomware o' all your houses!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I hope you and all your backups get cryptolockered

mewse
May 2, 2006

May your data be trashed and your backups cosmetic, happy 2018 fuckers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samizdata posted:

Horizon has also given her two-week's notice due to the alleged incident with Bob. You'll need to remove her account as well.

While you're at it, can you please setup two new accounts for their replacements, please? They start tomorrow.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob was the SME for shitposting, do you think we can bring him on as a consultant for this project? I think he’d be willing to do it as a favor to the thread? What do you mean he left on bad terms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nielsm posted:

The deadline is here, and still no deliverable??? Heads are going to roll.
A user forgot to log off his PC Friday night so the rollout will have to be delayed until he returns and ends his session.

• Locked thread