Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gerdalti posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on an easy to setup and deploy VPN solution? We'd been using SonicWall, but the hardware finally bit the dust.

We have a FortiGate and have FortiClient deployed, but it's super garbage. Frequent disconnects, failure to connect etc. ALL of the tickets are coming in all the time because of this.

I've been looking at SoftEther and OpenVPN, but figured I'd ask first.

If it's for domain-joined Windows clients then go with DirectAccess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gerdalti posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on an easy to setup and deploy VPN solution? We'd been using SonicWall, but the hardware finally bit the dust.

We have a FortiGate and have FortiClient deployed, but it's super garbage. Frequent disconnects, failure to connect etc. ALL of the tickets are coming in all the time because of this.

We use fortigate's and forticlients at multiple clients and in our own office and we don't have any issues. Are you on old firmware? Using an older version of forticlient? What fortigate do you have?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

I've never had the Fortinet issues be that bad for issues that weren't user error or somehow related to the way it was set up. Occasionally there's an authentication problem, but that's usually an out of date FortiClient. What firmware are you running on the Fortigates?

DirectAccess is really good, but I wouldn't necessarily call it easy to set up (maybe I'm just bad though).

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Thanks Ants posted:

Unfortunately, we're running a mix of Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro, not Enterprise. Otherwise this is the option I'd take.

MF_James posted:

We use fortigate's and forticlients at multiple clients and in our own office and we don't have any issues. Are you on old firmware? Using an older version of forticlient? What fortigate do you have?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I've never had the Fortinet issues be that bad for issues that weren't user error or somehow related to the way it was set up. Occasionally there's an authentication problem, but that's usually an out of date FortiClient. What firmware are you running on the Fortigates?

DirectAccess is really good, but I wouldn't necessarily call it easy to set up (maybe I'm just bad though).

Fortigate 100D running v5.4.2,build1100 (GA) - I probably need to update this over the weekend to 5.4.5
FortiClient 5.4.3

The VPN tunnel is literally built using the wizard, the client is deployed using EMS, and the tunnel information is pushed to the client using EMS. I feel like that should all be pretty straightforward. My site-to-site VPN stuff is super solid with the 100D, but the client stuff just seems to suck.

I wonder if it's worth opening a ticket with them.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Yeah that seems like a good excuse to bump to 5.4.5, but I can't say for sure that will fix the issues you are seeing. Maybe start with that and see if any further digging is required. Do your logs show anything of value when users fail to connect or disconnect from their session? e: Also what percent does the client fail to connect at?

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 23, 2017

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

SoftEther looks like a dodgy as hell software product but that's just how Japanese software is and is not something to be concerned about. We've used both for separate solutions here and I can recommend either.

My suggestion is if you're giving something to end users for them to use, SoftEther is easier to get going but kind of sucks afterwards. OpenVPN is easier once you get it set up (right click on taskbar icon, hit 'connect', done) but getting to that point is more of a challenge than with SoftEther.

They both have their pros & cons so it's really just a case of you having to weigh the two against each other.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I guess I'll spend a few days trying to get FortiClient working first, then dig into the other two.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

Nothing says confidence in your new position like "contract to hire". Nothing turns me off a position faster. Rarely see it anymore in the jobs I would consider anyway because I am sure people who make that kind of money also nope the gently caress out too.

My previous job was technically CtH, and it was billed as "we get to know you, you get to know us and we make sure it's a good fit" for "a couple of weeks" which didn't turn me off too much. It also lasted a week and a half before they made me full-time.

Then some guys hired after me were contractors for ~a month, which I would not have gone for at all, especially since it was just at the same rate as the full-time salary would be.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sickening posted:

Nothing says confidence in your new position like "contract to hire". Nothing turns me off a position faster. Rarely see it anymore in the jobs I would consider anyway because I am sure people who make that kind of money also nope the gently caress out too.

Definitely understand and I used to have the same reservations, but I've had really good luck with the recruiter I'm using (they're IT-only and like the second largest in my region). And the company I'm going to be working with has a good track record of hiring people before the 3 month deadline is up, quite a few guys I talked to said they were brought on permanent within 4-6 weeks and a couple actually got promoted within a year afterward.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Definitely understand and I used to have the same reservations, but I've had really good luck with the recruiter I'm using (they're IT-only and like the second largest in my region). And the company I'm going to be working with has a good track record of hiring people before the 3 month deadline is up, quite a few guys I talked to said they were brought on permanent within 4-6 weeks and a couple actually got promoted within a year afterward.

Sometimes it's a matter of budget as well. Where I'm at contractors go in the CapEx budget, but full-time positions are in the Personnel budget. It's easier and faster to get funding for a contractor than for a new position. It's also easier to secure the funding for a new position/hire if they're already being paid as a contractor.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yesterday my coworker, who is in the exact same IT position I am, came to me and asked if we were able to convert .doc files to .docx. Then he asked how to do it. Then he told me he had a .doc file someone had sent him that Word couldn't open and was popping up that "select encoding type" dialog, and if I thought saving it as a .docx would fix that.

I really don't understand how this guy is in this field. This even beats the time he didn't know what ping was.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gerdalti posted:

I guess I'll spend a few days trying to get FortiClient working first, then dig into the other two.

I would 100% get on with their support, usually it's pretty good (I'm sure you've had to call them before) and they've really done a lot of work on making it better, or at least you don't sit on hold as long, but out of the 20 times I've called them I've had maybe one bad engineer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

I would 100% get on with their support, usually it's pretty good (I'm sure you've had to call them before) and they've really done a lot of work on making it better, or at least you don't sit on hold as long, but out of the 20 times I've called them I've had maybe one bad engineer.

On the other hand, you have had to call them 20 times.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Knormal posted:

Yesterday my coworker, who is in the exact same IT position I am, came to me and asked if we were able to convert .doc files to .docx. Then he asked how to do it. Then he told me he had a .doc file someone had sent him that Word couldn't open and was popping up that "select encoding type" dialog, and if I thought saving it as a .docx would fix that.

I really don't understand how this guy is in this field. This even beats the time he didn't know what ping was.

There are a lot of people who skate by doing exactly what he's doing. Float around and be useless while your co-workers do the real work.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

On the other hand, you have had to call them 20 times.

I mean, I was told to support around 20 of them, without knowing a drat thing about them, so yeah, I had to call their support a bunch because I got trial-by-fire with no information and no time to learn them, I don't even have a loving test device that I can gently caress around with, it's 100% my companies fault I've had to call them 18 out of the 20 times in the last year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haven't Fortinet sort of abandoned the 5.4 stream? It was ambitious, launched before it was really ready, and now 5.6 has arrived. I had issues with IPsec tunnels randomly dropping on 5.4.5 and moved to 5.6.0 about a month ago.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In today's Misadventures in Userland:

User 1 got into her remote office and her desktop's USB wifi adapter wasn't working. Had her move it into another USB port, started working again. So far, so good.

A little bit later, she puts in a frantic ticket. She has Microsoft on hold and needs the admin password to let them remote in. I remote in myself and am immediately greeted with "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED. PLEASE CALL MICROSOFT AT 1-855... SECURITY ALERT. YOUR IP ADDRESS..." blaring through my speakers.

"Did you call Microsoft?"
"Yes! They're still on hold!"
"But did you call actual Microsoft, or the number on this popup?"
"The number on ... ohhhhh"

-------------------------------------------

User 2 has been failing to grasp that she can't do a Skype meeting from an RDP session into her office PC, as she can't expect that computer to see or hear her. I invite her to send me a meeting invite to test, I join the meeting and remote into her home PC. She still cant understand why Skype is showing a picture of her empty office at work. This after repeated explanations (in writing!) why that won't work, installing Office via 365 on her home PC to have Skype4Biz available, and a step by step how-to of joining a Skype meeting from home. And she even says to me, "I'm not a moron!"

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Well this was an interesting time to come back to the thread, considering I'm ready to roll out FortiClient next week after successful testing :ohdear:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

I mean, I was told to support around 20 of them, without knowing a drat thing about them, so yeah, I had to call their support a bunch because I got trial-by-fire with no information and no time to learn them, I don't even have a loving test device that I can gently caress around with, it's 100% my companies fault I've had to call them 18 out of the 20 times in the last year.

So they have good support, and what seems to be a solid product, but the online documentation is lacking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VakU20APPdw

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sickening posted:

It's fairly popular in IT these days, since you can see how you fit with the team, and they can see if you're a horrible spergy goon that takes a month or two to revert to type. My job does that for the new L1 techs, and it works pretty well, some are good, some are let go because they're smug fuckheads who either escalate or just close tickets without resolving the issue.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Gerdalti posted:

We use fortigate/forticlient for about 80 full time remote workers and another 200 employees who check in from home and have have maybe 1% failure rate, and it's usually something stupid like other intrusive VPN software still installed (looking at you AnyConnect).

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

So they have good support, and what seems to be a solid product, but the online documentation is lacking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VakU20APPdw

Yeah their online documentation is fairly awful, though it IS getting better, they're actually making a big push to document their CLi as well.

Thanks Ants posted:

Haven't Fortinet sort of abandoned the 5.4 stream? It was ambitious, launched before it was really ready, and now 5.6 has arrived. I had issues with IPsec tunnels randomly dropping on 5.4.5 and moved to 5.6.0 about a month ago.

All of our stuff (everything from 60C-200Ds) are on 5.2.10 which seems pretty loving solid, we haven't had any issues since upgrading.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
We've pushed three of our firewalls to 5.6 so far, running smoothly.

We're going to upgrade the main corporate firewall this weekend and I'm sending out 15 50Es to home workers so we can take control of QoS for them and have insight into their home networks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm amazed how much poke the smaller Fortigates have to be honest

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Let me tell you about loving contract to hire.

I got my current job about three years ago as a contractor on a six month contract, with a promise of hiring on at the end if I worked out. I've heard this a lot before so I knew that might not actually be true, but I took the job anyway because I needed it and it was at a really good place to work. Six months roll past, I am the best fuckin tech they got, the users love me, I clear more tickets than anyone, I'm friends with my coworkers, it's great. However, this is a state job. State HR hiring policy states that every permanent job be posted publicly for two weeks and that if there's an applicant who was laid off from another state job in the past six months, they get priority hiring. This is an immutable truth. So they post my job, and a lay-off applicant applies. They end up closing the position and keeping me on as a contractor. They up my pay to what I would be getting as full-time, which means they must be giving the contracting agency a fortune. Six months later, this entire thing happens again. And six months after that. Finally, two years into my six month contract, they manage to hire me permanently. I appreciate my bosses being dedicated to keeping me on, but holy poo poo what a clusterfuck that was.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's fairly popular in IT these days, since you can see how you fit with the team, and they can see if you're a horrible spergy goon that takes a month or two to revert to type. My job does that for the new L1 techs, and it works pretty well, some are good, some are let go because they're smug fuckheads who either escalate or just close tickets without resolving the issue.

You can already do that with a full time hire. Being more on the other side of things myself and seeing the costs of hiring an employee I don't even see a cost savings benefit that is even worth the risk of turning away better candidates.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I got my current job about three years ago as a contractor on a six month contract, with a promise of hiring on at the end if I worked out. I've heard this a lot before so I knew that might not actually be true, but I took the job anyway because I needed it and it was at a really good place to work. Six months roll past, I am the best fuckin tech they got, the users love me, I clear more tickets than anyone, I'm friends with my coworkers, it's great. However, this is a state job. State HR hiring policy states that every permanent job be posted publicly for two weeks and that if there's an applicant who was laid off from another state job in the past six months, they get priority hiring. This is an immutable truth. So they post my job, and a lay-off applicant applies. They end up closing the position and keeping me on as a contractor. They up my pay to what I would be getting as full-time, which means they must be giving the contracting agency a fortune. Six months later, this entire thing happens again. And six months after that. Finally, two years into my six month contract, they manage to hire me permanently. I appreciate my bosses being dedicated to keeping me on, but holy poo poo what a clusterfuck that was.

This is the stuff I worry about with c2h, especially benefits. From my understanding, contractors generally don't get healthcare, PTO, sick leave, etc. Those are pretty difficult to replace, and would require a substantially higer salary to match.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'd consider contract to hire if you just offered me the job straight up based on my resume, no interviews no nothing just straight to $$$ negotiation

if you want me to go through your hr process then i expect an actual full time position at the end of it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'd consider contract to hire if you just offered me the job straight up based on my resume, no interviews no nothing just straight to $$$ negotiation

if you want me to go through your hr process then i expect an actual full time position at the end of it

How do you feel about Nikolai Fuckharin's posting?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I got my current job about three years ago as a contractor on a six month contract, with a promise of hiring on at the end if I worked out. I've heard this a lot before so I knew that might not actually be true, but I took the job anyway because I needed it and it was at a really good place to work. Six months roll past, I am the best fuckin tech they got, the users love me, I clear more tickets than anyone, I'm friends with my coworkers, it's great. However, this is a state job. State HR hiring policy

There's where a lot of your difference is - state/government jobs have way different rules and loopholes that a lot of other regular companies don't use. Most of the IT jobs I've had that are contract or contract to hire have a definitive end date and are usually pretty open about whether or not someone's a fit. One of the best IT contract to hire jobs I ever had was back working for a regional midwest bank, the only reason I didn't take it was because I ended up moving out of state to help family during a tough time. Otherwise I loved it and they went out of their way to accommodate me and try to work something out and it was an amazing place overall.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"But you didn't say in the e-mail that this wasn't customer affecting! We just spent the last 20 minutes looking into something that wasn't actually an outage"

yeah

actually that was intentional

not sorry

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

yeah

actually that was intentional

The group I escalated to was very unhappy with that answer. They were also very unhappy I didn't call them to tell them I sent an e-mail and lmao it's not my job to tell you to check your e-mail gently caress outta here.

If you want a ticket to stay in ticket purgatory in this company, you tell groups that it's not customer impacting. Then the ticket will stay there for three years until someone like me does some house cleaning and just closes it so we don't have six thousand tickets open.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 26, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If there are enough customer impacting tickets open to backlog non impacting tickets for three years, something is seriously wrong with whatever you're supporting.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If there are enough customer impacting tickets open to backlog non impacting tickets for three years, something is seriously wrong with whatever you're supporting.

If product owners are given too much power (and they suck), they can force enough new feature work that even some customer impact work is de-prioritized.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The problem is that people aren't held accountable for their queues. I'll open a ticket for, let's say some random rear end VM at 90% memory utilization. I open a ticket, tell the owners, and they add some memory. Then they never bother telling me that they did anything and the ticket sits there in limbo forever until someone starts going through the old stuff. We're a big company with several million customers, we have automated systems opening and closing hundreds of tickets a day. If it's not an outage ticket, it can easily slip through the cracks if you don't bust balls.

People at this company don't understand what tickets are used for and just treat my department like we're a bunch of god drat ticket secretaries. I 'm constantly fighting it, but it's a losing battle because that's what my own manager thinks I am too.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Renegret posted:

The problem is that people aren't held accountable for their queues. I'll open a ticket for, let's say some random rear end VM at 90% memory utilization. I open a ticket, tell the owners, and they add some memory. Then they never bother telling me that they did anything and the ticket sits there in limbo forever until someone starts going through the old stuff. We're a big company with several million customers, we have automated systems opening and closing hundreds of tickets a day. If it's not an outage ticket, it can easily slip through the cracks if you don't bust balls.

People at this company don't understand what tickets are used for and just treat my department like we're a bunch of god drat ticket secretaries. I 'm constantly fighting it, but it's a losing battle because that's what my own manager thinks I am too.

That's awful.
Our manpower is based on how many tickets are logged with us, plus any heads specific customers want to pay for, but aged tickets, raised over 3 weeks ago, is a KPI for the desk, and one which we have under control. (Only 30 of our tickets are over that threshold, and that has been fairly static for 4 months or so.)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Time to write a script to do your job and just show up to click run and collect a paycheck. Or outsource your own job through a VPN and do contract work at your desk.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mehall posted:

That's awful.
Our manpower is based on how many tickets are logged with us, plus any heads specific customers want to pay for, but aged tickets, raised over 3 weeks ago, is a KPI for the desk, and one which we have under control. (Only 30 of our tickets are over that threshold, and that has been fairly static for 4 months or so.)

Aged tickets for us is over 4 weeks and we originally had over six thousand of them before a recent push to bring that number down. Right now we're at 1029 which is a huge improvement, but without some sort of process change that number's only going to go up again. (Depending on the day we go through around 600 tickets/day so relatively speaking 1,000 aint so bad)

My wildly unpopular solution is just to bill departments for open tickets because money is the only thing that makes people do anything around here. We're only treating the symptom here by reviewing old tickets. The problem is a lack of accountability on non-outages.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Renegret posted:

The problem is that people aren't held accountable for their queues. I'll open a ticket for, let's say some random rear end VM at 90% memory utilization. I open a ticket, tell the owners, and they add some memory. Then they never bother telling me that they did anything and the ticket sits there in limbo forever until someone starts going through the old stuff.

Oh look someone else has the same job I do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

My wildly unpopular solution

I've made some wildly unpopular suggestions that would make HR do anything at all ahead of the start date of a new hire at my place and christ on a cracker management acted like I a suggested they fire up the ovens and start rounding up minorities.

• Locked thread