Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mo_Steel posted:

There are two types of tickets I've grown to hate:

1. "x is not working / is having a problem" - When I bring my car to the mechanic, I generally don't just point at it and go "somethings wrong". If you want something looked at, I need details. Does it not turn on? Does it turn off unexpectedly? For the love of god, more information.

2. "x isn't working correctly, this has been going on for weeks" - Why would you not say something right away when something important is not working? If you don't tell me something isn't working properly I'm not going to know unless I'm actively monitoring it, and I don't have time to babysit 200+ PCs and a roughly similar number of other devices ranging from printers to servers to streaming devices. Worse, a few weeks is a long time: now other things might be compounding the issue making it harder to unravel the cause from the noise. If I don't have time to fix it that second I'll let you know, but knowing about it right away allows me to better manage my time and resources to focus on important tasks as well.

Tell me what your problem is in detail, and tell me right away if it's something you can't resolve yourself. This shouldn't be hard. :(

Just fix it ASAP, it's an emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No the worst tickets are A) FW: with literally no explanation of the fowarded email, and B)any time someone CCs our helpdesk mailbox and has a back and forth conversation using the reply all button.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vague tickets you reckon?

quote:

could you please look at print setiing ?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Vague tickets you reckon?

"Opened and checked print settings on my personal computer. Everything was correctly configured. "
Ticket closed

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Jeoh posted:

Anything that breaks in the next 14 months is because of your code.

I'm 100% ready for responsibility. Supervisor has taken it upon himself to review the code now (2 days after I put it live and nothing broke) and is throwing possible 'critical problems' my way every 5 minutes, none of which are actually critical or possible. I'm just happy that the hardest part is over.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Laserface posted:

No the worst tickets are A) FW: with literally no explanation of the fowarded email, and B)any time someone CCs our helpdesk mailbox and has a back and forth conversation using the reply all button.

I enthusiastically close any ticket that doesn't provide me with at least a vague notion of the problem.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mo_Steel posted:

2. "x isn't working correctly, this has been going on for weeks" - Why would you not say something right away when something important is not working? If you don't tell me something isn't working properly I'm not going to know unless I'm actively monitoring it, and I don't have time to babysit 200+ PCs and a roughly similar number of other devices ranging from printers to servers to streaming devices. Worse, a few weeks is a long time: now other things might be compounding the issue making it harder to unravel the cause from the noise. If I don't have time to fix it that second I'll let you know, but knowing about it right away allows me to better manage my time and resources to focus on important tasks as well.

This poo poo loving kills me because it invariably comes with "And it's business critical."

My response is the same as when people say "This folder went missing and it's business critical but I can't tell you the name of it or any of the contents," and that response is pretty much "Clearly it's not actually important at all."

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

20 people, 2 printers. Exclusively used by sales even though we have CRM software to handle tracking customer contact. I've only used the printers to print out personal things like proof of insurance since I have no printers at home.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Funny, I just had a client call and tell us that they couldn't print.

Then they said it's been like this for 2 months :psyduck:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
One of the SAN systems that we sell and support has an issue where the CPUs on the metadata servers start reporting high temperatures and throttle themselves. This in turn leads to the volumes becoming unstable and crashing out. We had a lot of back and forth with the vendor trying to figure out why it started happening all of a sudden. They were convinced that it was due to poor cooling and/or air circulation in the racks...in a data center that is carefully monitored by a paranoid ops team.

Turns out it's due to the leap second being improperly handled by the system's NTP service somehow (we weren't give specifics) and the solution is to set the time to itself.

:doh:

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
All the printer talk got me wondering, so I walked up to our admin offices to check the MFP situation. There is a spot where I can stand and actually see the doors that lead to 3 different MFP's, and a corner that has another right around it. That is for exactly 20 people, at least 14 of which have desktop printers. We just moved the 4th one up there; the justification for that was "What of one of the other ones stops working?".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
99% of our printing is personal poo poo, like people doing their taxes or mortgage paperwork, but drat if they're not pissy when it breaks regardless. I tell them do I look like Kinkos to you?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

kensei posted:

Adding to the OP, well done.
Hey I just noticed this. Thanks I feel kinda famous now!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sham I Am posted:

All the printer talk got me wondering, so I walked up to our admin offices to check the MFP situation. There is a spot where I can stand and actually see the doors that lead to 3 different MFP's, and a corner that has another right around it. That is for exactly 20 people, at least 14 of which have desktop printers. We just moved the 4th one up there; the justification for that was "What of one of the other ones stops working?".

What if your computer stops working? Should we give everyone a spare? How about your phone?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Gilok posted:

I enthusiastically close any ticket that doesn't provide me with at least a vague notion of the problem.

My issue comes in when the response from a manager is "well, contact them to find out what they mean".

There's a reason to call/email someone for more info sometimes, but one of those reasons shouldn't be that the user put in a ticket that says, "halp borken !! " and then I have to figure out what they mean. Why is it my job to decipher what you mean when you're not even meeting me halfway?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A power outage came in.

About half the office didn't have their computers plugged into the UPS+generator protected outlets. The access layer switches weren't either, so all the IP phones died. :downs:

When power returned the generator turned off, but the switchgear didn't switch back to grid power. Fortunately I noticed before the UPS batteries ran out (We have about 10 minutes of battery run time) and could manually reconnect the grid.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sham I Am posted:

Our admin office has 6 people. Each has their own printer. One guy has two. And there's three MFPs there. Why? "Sometimes we deal with sensitive documents"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jeoh posted:

Our admin office has 6 people. Each has their own printer. One guy has two. And there's three MFPs there. Why? "Sometimes we deal with sensitive documents"

We had this excuse so we got an MFP that the user needs to put in a password before it prints.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GreenNight posted:

We had this excuse so we got an MFP that the user needs to put in a password before it prints.

Yeah, and this is nearly all MFPs these days. Savin/Ricoh, Canon, Xerox... They all allow for some form of Secure Printing natively.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Talked with supervisor about budgeting computer upgrades. Mentioned the research I had done and how I think Dell would be the best option, since the Optiplex 3020 is the best value at $512, and we could just go straight to a Dell rep to handle everything and blah blah blah.

Good news: He wants to bump up the specs and try to budget about $700 per computer.

Bad news: He wants to go through TigerDirect :smithicide:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
<songs of flash / java>
99 bugs in the code on GitHub,
99 bugs in the code.
Take one down, patch it around,
102 bugs in the code on GitHub.
</songs of flash / java>
(stolen from someone on spiceworks community)

Printer chat: we have 2 big MFPs in our office. One day last week they both decided to stop doing scan to email. We go check the settings on printer A and everything looks good without changing anything. Printer B starts working again. Printer A still isn't working, but 99% of our folks haven't noticed since they both still print and printer B is fine for scan to email. They are different brands of printers and both shouted SMTP errors. :shrug:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

TigerDirect seems to be the outlet of choice for people who don't know what they're talking about, I just don't get it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

larchesdanrew posted:

Talked with supervisor about budgeting computer upgrades. Mentioned the research I had done and how I think Dell would be the best option, since the Optiplex 3020 is the best value at $512, and we could just go straight to a Dell rep to handle everything and blah blah blah.

Good news: He wants to bump up the specs and try to budget about $700 per computer.

CDW and PCMall have treated us pretty well. Try and steer the guy in that direction.

Their sales guys are especially susceptible to bullying and lies like "if you sell us this cheap now we'll totally buy more stuff from you in the future."

Not to mention they just have solid pricing on volume.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Inspector_666 posted:

This poo poo loving kills me because it invariably comes with "And it's business critical."

My response is the same as when people say "This folder went missing and it's business critical but I can't tell you the name of it or any of the contents," and that response is pretty much "Clearly it's not actually important at all."

Exactly this, whenever they say something like that is business critical, I always have to be a smartass and ask how things have been running since they decided NOT to tell me about their critical problem. Usually shuts them up pretty quick, especially if (or when) someone tries to poo poo on you for not fixing a problem that never got reported.

larchesdanrew posted:

Be sure to spec out any warranty coverage/replacement too - chances are your dipshit boss or someone else will inevitably break something, and it "won't be their fault, it was a total accident, honest" because they're either too incompetent to handle anything more complex than pencil and paper, or their machine was "too slow" and they "wanted a new one because mine is junk". Then tell him you're not going through Tiger Direct because you're not a goddamn mentally handicapped chimp.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 15, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Their sales guys are especially susceptible to bullying and lies like "if you sell us this cheap now we'll totally buy more stuff from you in the future."

We do CDW for literally everything that isn't comptuers. I don't know why he has such a boner for them. I think it's because he can bully our rep into just about anything.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GreenNight posted:

But that takes too much effort!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Jeoh posted:

I've told users who told me that, it's the same as unlocking your house or logging into your workstation.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Most MFPs have a function for Secure Print where you can unlock the MFP once and have it print everything associated with your username/PIN combination.

So all they need to do is print a bunch of stuff and go up there once to get it all.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Seems like cryptolocker/cryptowall can now infect a machine through a flash exploit in the browser.

spankmeister posted:

This has been the case for a good while now.

How long has Cryptolocker been coming in through Flash vulnerabilities?

I know I will sound angry and bitter here, but I am past the point of giving a gently caress. I have pretty much lost all faith in the human race at this point. Upper management is extremely pissed too. I have one five-person office where four different people managed to Cryptolocker their file server site over a six-month period. Every time it was by clicking links in emails.

Now more recently at the larger sites we've had it oh, three times in the last couple of months. Pretty amazing that I can lose count of the number of catastrophic infections that rendered every single file on the network unusable, but I have.

I do know that the last one was flash for sure, came from either facebook or a dating site someone was looking at during work. We are trying to figure out just how far to go in efforts to block this. People are not going to like it, but we do not like restoring thousands of files once or twice a month either. All of management is behind us on this.

Thanks for the flash registry tips, BTW.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Spend the money and get Cisco Web Security or the like. We use that in conjunction with Cisco Email Security and it works amazingly well at not only blocking the majority of spam, but blocking links in spam that host viruses. I've tried to get Cryptolocker on a virtual machine and can't do it. Web Security just blocks that poo poo.

For instance, we had users clicking on ads that host viruses. Cisco now blocks all ads, so that avenue of attack is also gone.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MrMojok posted:

I'm not sure I'd have to check my news archive at work but there have been reports of EK's like Angler and Nuclear delivering Cryptolocker for a couple of months. I wanna say 3 to 6 months ago?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreenNight posted:

Spend the money and get Cisco Web Security or the like. We use that in conjunction with Cisco Email Security and it works amazingly well at not only blocking the majority of spam, but blocking links in spam that host viruses. I've tried to get Cryptolocker on a virtual machine and can't do it. Web Security just blocks that poo poo.

For instance, we had users clicking on ads that host viruses. Cisco now blocks all ads, so that avenue of attack is also gone.

Bit9 is also quite good. It does application whitelisting, and once you have a good list of trusted publishers and allowed files, you can go to the shittiest places on the net and the worst thing that happens is the unpatched java and flash exploit causes a block notification popup.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Most MFPs have a function for Secure Print where you can unlock the MFP once and have it print everything associated with your username/PIN combination.

So all they need to do is print a bunch of stuff and go up there once to get it all.

This sounds like a great way to have the printer spool freak out when someone tried to print a 300 page document and doesn't get there rear end up off the chair to actually go get it for 3 hours :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MrMojok posted:

I know I will sound angry and bitter here, but I am past the point of giving a gently caress. I have pretty much lost all faith in the human race at this point. Upper management is extremely pissed too. I have one five-person office where four different people managed to Cryptolocker their file server site over a six-month period. Every time it was by clicking links in emails.

Now more recently at the larger sites we've had it oh, three times in the last couple of months. Pretty amazing that I can lose count of the number of catastrophic infections that rendered every single file on the network unusable, but I have.

I do know that the last one was flash for sure, came from either facebook or a dating site someone was looking at during work. We are trying to figure out just how far to go in efforts to block this. People are not going to like it, but we do not like restoring thousands of files once or twice a month either. All of management is behind us on this.

Thanks for the flash registry tips, BTW.

Do you have your own email, or is it through Gmail/Google Apps? Because if it's the former, this is the point where I'd say "remove the string http[s]?:// from emails" and call it a day. Nothing to click on!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sham I Am posted:

Wow, I wish we were like this.

1 MFP split between maybe 30 people of multiple departments, two of which reply it daily for large print jobs of customer documentation packs. Print goes belly up then lol nothing gettin' dun today

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
There once was an Admin named Brad
Who thought authentication was just a big fad
So he rebooted AD
Because he just couldn't see
How doing so could be that bad

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

What if your computer stops working? Should we give everyone a spare? How about your phone?
Shhh, don't give them any ideas!

We're starting to lean toward secure printing with a PIN, but we're worried about having to take responsibility for yet another password people will inevitibly forget and we'll have to reset for them. Also is there some way to standardize peoples' PIN across devices? All of our people like to print to multiple places and having to manually set up every user on every printer isn't going to fly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No idea how expensive it is to implement, but my place has a org-wide secure printing system based on RFID chips in the employee badges. You just scan your badge on the printer and you get instant access to your queued jobs, no need for any PIN. (But you can optionally set one up.)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

nielsm posted:

No idea how expensive it is to implement, but my place has a org-wide secure printing system based on RFID chips in the employee badges. You just scan your badge on the printer and you get instant access to your queued jobs, no need for any PIN. (But you can optionally set one up.)

Same here, and it's pull print too - you have to go blip your badge at the printer to get it to actually start printing. If you don't do that within 24 hours your job gets thrown away. We have one or two MFP's per floor (maybe 60 or 70 people per floor). Admin might have one or two more, not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I decided that I'm going to ask for a raise, commensurate to the salary a full-time helpdesk guy would make.

I've saved the company tons by doing it for this long, and I was willing to do it only while they hired a replacement for the guy who was canned - not to change my position around.

They'll probably say no, but I have nothing to lose at this point.

• Locked thread