Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

oh rly posted:

I have been in a help desk position for a law firm for three years now. Luckily, I have not had to suffer like Dicktrauma, CorvetteFisher, or BlackswordCA. Although, there was one time where a squirrel literally knocked out the power for the entire block.

I received the call yesterday after interviews with 8 different higher ups for a brand new analyst position at a Fortune 100 IT company. YOTJ!!!!

I have come to you guys looking for advice. They keep pressuring me for my past salary history. Do I inflate my current wage to ensure that the offer made will be what I am looking for? Has inflating your wage ever come back to bite anyone in the rear end? I have already told them that I am asking for 70k plus benefits. The range for the position is 48 - 85. I have already been told I have the job.
Short answer: hem, haw, and deflect the question or else you'll likely be screwing yourself.

Longer answer, check out this thread on interviewing for advice. The link at the bottom of the first page (http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/) specifically goes over salary negotiation. If you're really pressed for time, jump to the section titled "The First Rule Is What Everyone Tells You It Is: Never Give A Number First"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

tarbrush posted:

Oddly, most of the doctors I work with aren't that picky about their titles over email.
Most competent, secure people aren't. You could always tell the new guys because they'd address everyone in the department with their title, and occasionally someone would reply "Who's Dr. So-and-so? Oh, you mean Bill!" Getting poo poo done is what impressed those people, not letters before or after your name. The only exception was newly-minted doctors and conferences open to the public.

Obviously you need to make allowances for cultural differences, but only insecure people cling to titles or chase after doctorates as a destination and not just a step to doing what they really want.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I'm a scientist just reading this thread to feel better about the bullshit I deal with in a laboratory but this made me laugh out load. Every instrument fixer I've met in academia and industry has a grave yard for parts and machines just to keep equipment made more than ten years ago going. In these guys defense most instrument software is poo poo and will crash if you look at it wrong much less try installing it on a machine remotely different then the pos the manufacture supplied, provided you have the disc and something it can be read in. And when getting an instrument that is capable of speaking to modern hardware is $30,000 you try to keep museum pieces going as long as possible. Which leads the the amusing situation of students younger than the computer trying to contemplate DOS or a professor willing to trade chemicals for 5 inch floppy discs so he can write a new method.
While I was in school our lab got nice new 64-bit Windows 7 machines, which was great except they didn't play nice with the old XP machines that ran several of the instruments, or the old MS-DOS 5.0 machine I already had half my data from. Getting them all to talk to each other was interesting. Compatibility mode and DOSBox didn't work because some stupid utility required a deprecated function or else wouldn't run on a 64-bit processor.

One XP-connected machine was donated as a tax write-off because it was 'glitchy' and unsuitable for sale to an actual customer. It used the only USB (1.0 :v:) driver for the connection and would require a reboot if it ever lost signal, so you couldn't use thumb drives, and the machines couldn't connect to the network because they had an outdated OS and were a security risk. The OS couldn't be updated because everything was hardcoded by the stupid manufacturer, and the software it ran was ancient, slow, and glitchy. The files it generated were huge, too; I had to transfer data by 3.5" floppy... across three computers. :suicide:

Long story short, I wrote a bunch of batch scripts in EDIT.exe, used SyncToy to keep files synchronized (and as a backup) on any PC that wasn't a POS, and had to document how to do everything because I was the only one in the lab besides the PIs that had seen a command prompt before. When we talked to the companies about getting updated hardware their bids were for the millions of dollars to get the same capability we had. It'll be interesting once the hardware finally gives up the ghost.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Anyone else feel like this is your job sometimes always?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

• Locked thread