Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And what do I do but whip out my phone and scan it just to see what it says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

gently caress it, create a subforum for IT bitching so "there's a puppy in my datacenter" can have its own thread.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I only ever make ethernet cables for long semipermanent runs, where I can't quite justify installing a plate, but the actual odds of moving that cable are close to nil.

Power and coax are made far more often, because it gives me a way to pad my labor budget.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Oh god, ems, xms, and EMM386. that was a pain in the rear end, just to use your 4MB of RAM.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

This isn't directly IT related, but one of my duties at work besides maintaining our hodge-podge of WRT54Gs masquerading as professional access points is contacting the head electrician with each tour and working out what they actually need out of what is listed in their rider.

I just got asked to advance a show but my boss once again failed to forward me the counter-offer. So now I get to call a guy and try to bullshit my way into giving him nothing but what I know we already have. And I will probably find out that he's getting more come the day of the show, making me look like the bad guy.

I've got a tentative :yotj: in Macau, any other goons in that area?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

"servers" from the 90s or early turn of the century,

What does a "server" from 1903 look like anyway?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

rolleyes posted:

Errrr, turn of the century happened 13 years ago guys.

But in common usage it still refers to 1900. "The new millennium" is more commonly used for the 2000s.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Next time instead of prolonging the inevitable, just point a butane lighter at a capacitor on the backplane until it bulges and leaks. Also, take an image of that drive before it reboots to a click of death.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

more like dICK posted:

My very first time using AIX, I learned that there was a large difference between the way killall works on AIX from the way it works on Linux :shobon:

Oh I remember when I got my sparcstation booted up for the first time... and brought it down shortly afterward.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

A ticket(ing system) came in.

I just :yotj:ed to a $20k/yr raise at a small two man shop that has been picking up work providing lighting controls, service, and support to schools/churches/etc. Which is a fantastic job, but for the fact that our current method of handling service calls is scribbled notes on scraps of paper, voicemails, and long email chains, and inevitably things get missed.

I've been looking at setting up Spiceworks because it includes both ticketing and inventory management - which is another thing that is lacking - but I also need something that can be set up on a public-facing server since most of our freelancers never set foot inside the office.

Would Spiceworks be any good, or would I be better off setting up osTicket and a separate inventory system? The budget for this is, of course, "what is out there for free."

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I typically put n/t in the message body rather than EOM in the subject.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sickening posted:

Are you trying to say that its impossible to run 16 bit apps on a vm?

No, only that XP mode on windows 7/whatever ever VM you choose to use doesn't meet his arbitrary standard of being able to open a 16-bit app from a random directory on the hard disk.

Apparently shortcuts are too difficult to use.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

blackswordca posted:

update to the spam filter drama. It looks like the domain was setup under my companies spam filter account and not a stand alone for the client. Only two people have access to it, they wont give me access to the account so I can whitelist the domains I need to and the people who have access are in a position that I cannot assign tickets to them.

Email them and CC the client. Time to play hot potato.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This was my first suggestion. They were not happy with it.

It keeps getting better though! Now they want to be able to present some sort of ra-ra go us slideshow! Outdoors, in the full sun! I had a 30 minute conversation on this will in no way shape or form work.

Pete's Big TVs would like to have a word with you. Get a quote for video from them, and ask the sound company to provide a quote for a half-mile of 0000 feeder so the generator is suitably hidden.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

lampey posted:

Some things just aren't meant to be used with a power drill.

Why I don't get then is why you can get combination slotted/hex head screws.

v That too. Philips heads were designed specifically to limit torque, not necessarily to be easy to drive. Robinson heads are superior when it comes to ease of driving.

corgski fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 21, 2014

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Give it the malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, and Combofix gauntlet.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Excel is the worst program for accomplishing any task, but somehow it will succeed given enough macros and corporate dictates.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

What would you recommend instead if I want to quickly perform the same simple formula operation in situ on a data set?

PERL, of course. Python if you're one of those young'ns who don't understand how to write entire CRM systems in one line.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

A ticket came in...

Every single entry was purged from the MAC whitelist on our wireless network. At December 31, 2014, 11:59:59.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

A growing number of industries expect you to do 6 months to a year of unpaid work before you can get a job in them, not even tied to school each time either like Journalism and like all of Hollywood.

Hahaha, bullshit. I never worked a day as an unpaid intern and I'm doing just fine in entertainment. (Of course there's a drat good reason we have the strongest unions in the US.)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

Where do you work? Are you in post?

Nope, live production for a national corporation. Recently someone higher up at our branch wanted to get interns and the response from HR was "if you want them, hire them as staff." I have no doubt though that it's IATSE keeping them in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Clearly the solution is to start a sleazy-looking "tech support scam" style front for all our family computer repairs. Surreptitiously install the software on their computer while you're fixing it, and then when they inevitably complain that it's broken, remotely trigger the popup.

• Locked thread