Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
My company may send someone from IT down to Florida, from Ohio, just to start a Webex for our yearly Firm-wide meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

b0red posted:

Sounds like this could be pretty sweet if it's a fun part of florida.

Except that it would be a half day trip with no actual fun. You'd be in the air as long as the meeting, not counting time in an airport. All to start a loving Webex.

I work for accountants that value money so little that they'd spend a thousand bucks to have someone click a link.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

I took the A+ in 2009 (I think) and they had questions about IRQ codes and specific memory locations, things I have never used since. I believe that was the last year for that particular test before they moved on and started covering Windows 7. It was also the last year before you had to do continuing education to keep your A+.

It does not cover anything bullshit anymore, as of 2011. It is also no longer lifetime.

Inspector_71 posted:

Join.me or LMI Rescue hasn't crossed anybody's mind?

It is totally an option. Just one that has been dismissed out of hand. "What if something went wrong?"

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

Welp, my fellow helpdesk co-worker just gave two weeks notice. People are dropping like flies to this merger.

More encouragement to cert up and :yotj:

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

GargleBlaster posted:

This is unbelievably common, and I don't mean to be sexist but it's just a plain fact here: it's always women. They will get oddly obsessed with the idea of having their own personal printer. They're the same ones where if there's the slightest of problems even once, like one paper jam ever, that's it, they will then HATE that printer 4lyfe and bark out "I need a new one!" every time you go to help (often they can't get a page setup right) / replace a cartridge / etc.

It's common with the male partners in my office. Short of HR/Internal Accounting the partners are the only ones with personal printers and they bitch up a storm if they have to leave their offices to get a print job.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Not being compensated for after-hours maintenance is most certainly not part of being a sysadmin.

God, isn't that the truth. I just know we're going to get a weekend on-call rotation implemented soon. We missed a call from a user that locked himself out at 8:50am on Saturday. Unfortunately his name's on the building. New management is in a tizzy about this, and they're asking for cell phone numbers. They're also ridiculously cheap, so I know they're going to push for no compensation.

I need to :yotj:

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

Because the leader partner locked out his account this weekend the period of time your account is locked after 5 bad password attempts has been changed from 30 minutes to 5 minutes.

I'd say hackers would have a field day (yay financial records) but with the passwords I've seen from some users they wouldn't need 5 attempts to get in. I mean, I can't even give an example of a bad password because it would probably be a (sadly) valid password.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

:siren::siren:An email came in: my four man department is getting weekend and after hour call rotations setup with a primary and a backup! Two of the people aren't even on helpdesk, they're admins. No mention of compensation. None of us have offered up our weekends.

This new company's tanking morale at an astounding rate. 3/5 of the original team will be gone in less than six months, taking a combined 30 years worth of institutional knowledge with them. I can't :ytoj: fast enough.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"I'd be glad to discuss the possibility of setting up an after-hours rotation, let's make the meeting a bit longer so that we have time to discuss the changes in compensation that the affected employees will receive as a result."
Hahaha, like we're having a meeting about it. The email went out today and wants people for this weekend. No one has volunteered for weekend shifts, and my first, non-compensation questions have been unanswered.

None of us are going to work without pay.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

A ticket came in.

quote:

The EPO [emergency power off] had been tripped in the NOC and our command console is without power. The entire data center is without power.

I am so glad I am no where near this issue.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The rumor floating around is that someone asked for EPO testing procedures shortly before the power was lost. Wonder if the cameras will pick anything up.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

A ticket came in:

Hey you know that refurb conference phone you got as a replacement for an end of sales Cisco 7937G? It doesn't do bridging, which we didn't mention we needed. We also gave you a budget of zero which put any replacement Cisco devices entirely out of reach. Fix it.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

What the gently caress are you even defending here? And like you would want to keep anyone who would bail so easil anyway.

Sickening's got a drat good point. You don't abandon a non-senior hire on their first day. It also sounds like this was an issue that Agrikk had experience with. Rather than walking the new guy through the existing issue he threw him to the wolves of "figure it out". So the server gets hosed and time gets wasted. None of which would have been caused (theoretically) if Agrikk had walked the new guy through the issue.

Look, there are tons of terrible people in IT, I know. If you don't try to help people learn, or at least give them a shot to try, bad things happen. If you've walked someone through an issue a few times, sure, I get being upset. A new hire though, they get a break.

I'd walk off a new position where I'm abandoned on a task with no oversight and no instruction. I'd take my thermos though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

quote:

Hi Belial42,

I can't stand to type on these keyboards here at work because they are not mechanical. To remedy this situation, I brought in my old gaming keyboard which is a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Edition. Usually, most keyboards have plug and play functionality, but Razer's keyboards do not. I have tried a few work arounds, but it was to no avail.

This keyboard will light up and it does show up under Device Manager, but it shows up with an error. Windows Update (usually) automatically installs the driver for this, but it says that there is no driver found. I am assuming this is due to Group Policy objects that are currently in place for the cbb domain and/or WSUS. I don't want to take myself off of the domain in an attempt to install this driver while on a workgroup either.

I know the keyboard is working just fine, I tested it on two systems before I brought it in. Since it will not automatically download the driver that is needed in order for the keyboard to function properly, I was wondering if you could allow the update to be pushed through WSUS and/or Windows Update. I'm assuming that this would fix the issue.

Please get back to me ASAP and leave this ticket in an open state so I can see it upon my return next week.

Thank you so much in advance for anything you are able to do for me. If a solution cannot be made, that's just fine, I will have to get a different mechanical keyboard that does not require driver installation for functionality (UPnP).

Thanks again in advance.

-Tier 1 Night Analyst

That came in on my birthday. Best laugh I've had in a long time.

• Locked thread