Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
A couple of pictures from my collection:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Call came in to fix a backup. Windows Server Backup can't shrink the shadow copy size anymore, and it doesn't delete backups. I've formatted the disk and got the program to recognise it was a "fresh" disk, but it's still erroring. Does anyone have any ideas? The backup is smaller than the size of the disk by a good amount (720ish GB to a 1TB disk) - Not sure if the shadow copy portion is an issue.

I added the disk via its GUID, so removing it completely is a problem I think.

Sorry to say the only fix for this I've ever had work reliably is to recreate the backup and migrate the drives over. Windows server backup just does it occasionally and I have no idea why. I suspect you need a drive about 33% larger then the volumes you're backing up but I have no proof of this.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Normally I wouldn't just because it wouldn't look awesome on my resume to only be here for 4 months, but given that email...

That's just bullcrap fed to you by managers to keep you chained to a desk in a lovely situation. No one will begrudge you for finding a better situation and jumping at the chance, and if they did have a problem with it do you really want to be working for them?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Motronic posted:

That sounds fine in a perfect world, but the one I work in includes things like legacy applications that haven't been updated since UAC was released, or versions of applications that are still in use and supported by the vendor that were from the Windows XP days that for some reason or other (usually money) the client refuses to upgrade to the newer version.

My problem with this is that disabling UAC doesn't do anything. It effectively just automatically clicks "no" on each UAC prompt. You don't get any more permissions, stuff just fails silently.

This also makes it a bitch to do desktop support for too because you don't get a prompt for administrator credentials when you need to mess with some settings.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

There are still windows admins that don't know DCpromo, and promoting domain controllers.

It's been a while but doesn't it literally give you a message box telling you you're going to have to run dcpromo after the install?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Here's a question re. cable talk.

Our network guy believes that the minimum run between two active devices on a network should be 1 metre. Meaning 50cm cables between switches in racks are a no-no. This doesn't bother me and I don't doubt the sincerity of his belief however haven't actually found a source for this information.

Does anyone here know if this is actually true?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I was having my usual sort of dreams last night when next thing you know I was replacing the cartridges in an inkjet. It was going well at first, popping out the empties and snapping in the new ones, then I realized that there were still some empties to replace but I'd used up all the new ones in the box. Then I saw there was a second inkjet next to the first and that I'd been replacing some of the empties in that one as well. Whoops! I was trying to figure out how to get this sorted out when I noticed that the inkjet also had two large "waste water" cartridges with snap on lids, so I was attempting to remove them without spilling the water.

gently caress printers.

That poo poo's the worst. You spend all night dreaming about a bog standard day at work, then you wake up and actually have to go to work for real. It's like a triple shift.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

MF_James posted:

zeroaccess rootkit you are my current bane! At the very least it's a side job I'm getting paid cash for and doing this while I'm on the clock at work.

The windows offline defender or whatever is pretty awesome, owned a bunch of stuff that no other scanner found!

The downside is that currently I can't get rid of this loving thing, I've thrown the book at it and it's still lingering somewhere... my last option is to combofix... which I've been somewhat hesitant to do.

I go Combofix straight off the bat. Nothing else comes close to cleaning that mess up.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
blackswordca you are a goon in a well.

Please consider what the folks in this thread are telling you.

I've recently ran up against an issue with iTunes. Apparently if you have a redirected appdata folder iTunes flat out wont sync with your iDevice. Apple really doesn't do enterprise well.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

TWBalls posted:

What? Where do you work that allows allowed alcohol consumption while working? I've never worked anywhere where that was allowed. I always thought it was some Hollywood cliché, where they show an exec that has scotch in those fancy decanters in their office.

Friday after 3 is open slather here. But usually people limit themselves on account of having to get home.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

dorkanoid posted:

you can probably tell that I work in an environment where I see "clever" solutions in excel all the time.

my favourite quote: "what? you can only have 8 IF()s nested?!"

Don't feel bad dude, I had no idea Proper() existed, I'd have done it your way too.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Baby Town Frolics posted:

A ticket was called in by me to facilities. Both toilets are overflowing because idiots can't properly use a toilet.

We have a building of over 100 people, mostly men with only two stalls and a urinal for the men. There is always piss water on the floor.

Times like this I want to investigate who keeps doing this and kick their asses.

Isn't there some standards relating the the ratio of toilets and people in your country? My country has a minimum of one closet pan per 20 males and one urinal per 25 males, women require one closet pan per 15 employees.

What you have there is unsanitary and should be investigated.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

drukqs posted:

Save me the effort of suiting up and sweating like a hog in the cleanroom...

Would "Windows Embedded" just block any attempt at remoting in, period, end of story? Or is there something I can toggle to enable this? The machine is a mini-touchscreen PC probably 3-4 years old, purpose built to run this tension measurement device.

I can not connect with a domain account, it states that the domain controller is inaccessible and it will not allow me to connect with the local admin credentials, throws the error seen above.

The person who operates this machine has requested access to company shares and printers. I get the same "domain controller not available" message when logging in with my domain account standing in front of it in the cleanroom.

Can you use psexec? Or even try connecting using remote registry. It's a long shot but it might work.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Nevermind.

frogbert fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 19, 2013

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

tehloki posted:

The dark switch is dead but load-bearing

Should be the new thread title.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

GreenNight posted:

A consultant years ago packaged a vbs script into an exe file that changes the AD description of each computer to the last logged in user. The exe runs on each login. I have no idea how it works. Works well though.

Here's a quick and dirty. You'll need to give users permission to modify their Computers AD object description but I don't see that as being a massive security issue. Any optimizations or constructive criticism is welcome.

code:
on error resume next
Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
Set objWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")

' get service tag and computer manufacturer
For Each objSMBIOS in objWMI.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_SystemEnclosure")
serviceTag = replace(objSMBIOS.SerialNumber, ",", ".")
manufacturer = replace(objSMBIOS.Manufacturer, ",", ".")
Next

' get computer model
For Each objComputer in objWMI.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem")
model = trim(replace(objComputer.Model, ",", "."))
Next

' get computer object in AD
Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")
Set objComputer = GetObject("LDAP://" & objSysInfo.ComputerName)

' build up description field data and save into computer object
objComputer.Description = WshNetwork.UserName & " (" & serviceTag & " - " & manufacturer & " " & model & ")"
objComputer.SetInfo

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Posting Principle posted:

I'm a developer. I don't know poo poo about computers because that's not really my job.

Please consult a System Administrator when it comes to packaging your software for installation.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Easy ticket today: Install Scratch on mobile lab(s). It's a simple tile-based programming environment for kids.

I unfreeze the first lab, and get the software installed inside of an hour. Then I figure, "Hey, these have been frozen and haven't been updated in a while, and Adobe & Java are pestering for updates. Might as well do all that poo poo while they're unfrozen and logged in."

Ninite works fine, albeit slowly as 26 netbooks churn through the update list. Then come the Windows Updates. I'm not sure our rebuilt SCCM server is even pushing updates at all, but a manual check on the server either comes back with an error or no updates, so, out to the web. First, I have to log in with the bypass account on the Barracuda web filter--even techs aren't allowed to go to 'download' sites with their own account.
First four go fine. 65 updates. Start a batch of 6 downloading as the first four start installing. Three fail silently after a 20 minutes because Barracuda's decided to reauthorize and use my account instead of the bypass. Two more fail after a few more updates get downloaded. Once Win7 can't access Windows Update for long enough, it just installs whatever it downloaded, which means I wind up having to reboot those machines early, sign back in, use my bypass, and run updates again. This continues the next 6 hours over the remaining netbooks. Machines randomly getting bumped off bypass even though they're sitting 6' away from an $700 WAP with no obstructions. Downloads occasionally take far longer they should. Having to wait for Windows to install 17 updates of the 65 queued because it got bumped off and it taking 90 minutes because a third of those 17 updates were .NET patches that take 25 minutes apiece to install for some godforsaken reason, then rebooting and starting the update process again.

Four more labs to update. :sigh:

Cant you just image one and clone it to the rest of them?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

How do you accidentally change the *.lnk file association in Vista so that all your desktop shortcuts try to open in IE? I've fixed it, but I'm trying to figure out how the hell they did it in the first place.

I think it goes something like:
- User has a lnk to a file on their desktop.
- User right clicks on it and selects "Open With"
- User Selects "Choose Default Program", "Internet Explorer" and "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
- ???
- Internet explorer is now associated with all lnk files instead of the file type the lnk was pointing to.

Another poster here said that's how he could replicate it, but only on a terminal server. I've never been able to replicate this behavior.

Perhaps redirected desktops have something to do with it?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

Except links don't give you the Open With option in their context menu. If it were any other sort of file, I could see how they did it accidentally.

Yeah it does.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Is that a 30cm cable between two active devices I see?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
I've worked with HP, Dell and Lenovo.

As far as I can tell they are pretty much the same as far as warranty and support goes. Sometimes you get a bad experience but most of the time it's good. Really what you're looking for is warranty coverage. Any of those three is good. Get a 5 year warranty if you can, phrase it along the lines of "You aren't paying for a computer, you're paying for a computer that is guaranteed to work for 5 years."

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
I was conversing with one of our Mac techs who all live in a separate trendy looking part of the business and got this story that I reckon is worth sharing:

Macguy posted:

About two years ago someone brought an SE in to us with a laser printer of the same vintage and wanted to upgrade to a new computer and re open his desktop publishing business which had been closed due to jail time.

All was going well until he mentioned he wished to trade the gear in for $5 000.00.

When I said I did not want it he was very upset and said the setup had cost him $25 000 back in the day with the software and it should still be worth $5 000. I countered with if someone paid him $10.00 he should nail their feet to the floor.

At this point he was hyperventilating and his heart looked like it was going to pop, bright purple in the face.

There was absolute disbelief that I would not accept his offer. The $5 000 trade in would, of course, cover the cost of the new equipment he wanted.

He stormed out of the building leaving his stuff behind and after a while we threw it out.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

a ticket came in: what has been working fine since the company started is suddenly unacceptable

Anyone have any suggestions for video conferencing that isn't google hangouts or Skype? My company has decided these are no good apparently and wants something else.

No one ever got fired for buying IBM Cisco.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I think Alberta, Canada.

Lying in front of a door it would seem.

Just had a Pentium III running XP SP2 come in, full of water.

Mission. Critical.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Swink posted:

My free meraki AP arrived and it makes me want to roll then out everywhere. Easiest poo poo ever.

What is Cisco ownership going to do to them though?

I sat through MINUTES of their 1 hour presentation only to find out a few hours later that my company is already an authorized reseller and they will not send me a free AP. This is an outrage.

They do give pretty sweet NFR prices though, but that doesn't get me a free AP for home.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

A c E posted:

I've never bothered with shock sites, but I'll definitely put your phone in French if it's left out, though not with work cellphones. It took my girlfriend a day or so to noticed one time. No one really bothers with pranks at my work and most things I could do would just be a waste of my time because they'd just call me for help, since our users can barely log into webmail without hand holding. Anything harmless is good fun (tape over mouse, desktop screen shot, David Hasslehoff backgrounds) but yeah swapping out SATA cables would be a dick move. I'd assume the drive was dead over the cable unless there was an obvious sign of failure.

I like to set it to Hebrew and hand it back to them saying "Shalom", right to left really messes with people.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

An email came to a coworker...

When I use my radio
It sends my e-mail
Or other stuff rolling
It didn’t just start
Showed Christine and she
Asked me to e mail yous
Thanks

I'm just gonna leave that here and try not to think any more about it.

My guess is there is a radio/phone sitting on/near their mouse cord and the interference from a radio signal is causing the computer to think the mouse wheel is in use. GSM phones will do this.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes it's insane to have a subnet that large.

Some time ago:
:supaburn:: IP Address conflict! Make sure this NEVER happens again!

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Next, draw seven red lines, all perpendicular to each other. Two red, two green, the others transparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7MIJP90biM

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Danith posted:

Ya but even when their VPN'd in they can get the popup over and over again. It's like the credentials on the laptop aren't matching whats on the server and they don't update unless you try to log on/unlock account

Might be something to do with how Autodiscover/DNS is working over the VPN.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I've got a bit of a problem... I have about 200 PCs on Windows 10, and they were all cloned from an upgraded image of Windows 8. Apparently in Windows 8 the default recovery partition size is 100mb. A clean install of Windows 10 creates a 500mb partition, but upgrades leave the 100mb partition. Win10 needs the 500mb partition so there's enough free space to upgrade to Fall Update correctly. So, I have to manually expand the recovery partition on each PC from 100mb to 500mb if these things are ever going to receive further updates.

Is there anything I can push out with PDQ deploy that could silently accomplish this without disrupting everyone or bricking their laptops? I've been doing it by hand successfully on a few PCs. I can see in Spiceworks that everyone in the company has way more than 500mb free space, so maybe if I could execute this in small batches and verify, but naturally I'm a little intimidated to be remotely loving with system partitions. This kinda seems like Microsoft's oversight, you'd think they could produce an enterprise tool to fix the issue but so far they haven't even acknowledged it despite billions of forum posts like this: http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/12212-cant-update-system-reserved-partition.html

You could do this with powershell assuming the partition you wanted to resize has free space after it:

code:
Import-Module Storage
$RecoveryPartition = Get-Partition | Where {($_.Size -eq 100MB)}
Resize-Partition -Size ($RecoveryPartition.Size + 400MB) -InputObject $RecoveryPartition
I'm pretty sure you don't have to import "storage" anymore, it should just figure it out.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

The thing is, if I shrink the C drive partition I don't get the option to extend the system reserved in Disk Management. I can shrink that as well or extend the C back to normal, but can't take anything from C to give to reserved. Makes no sense but all the googling says you have to boot into a thumb drive partition app, and that's not an option for all these production workstations.

Perhaps it would be possible to shave 500MB off the C drive, clone the smaller recovery partition into this new space and then expand that partition.

I honestly don't know if you can do that with Powershell.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

J posted:

Why the hell would you waste money on a drug test for someone before even interviewing them?

I don't know how much a drug test costs but perhaps it's worth less then the the man hours it takes to invite in and interview someone who they would never hire in the first place.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyone with Quickbooks experience? Is it normal for a backup file to be 30+GB? My client wants to make a daily backup and then keep every backup forever stored both locally and in the butt. The backups are increasing in size exponentially and his storage costs are gonna get out of hand real quick.

I either need to figure out how to make the files smaller or convince him to adopt a more feasible backup strategy.

I had this issue with the Australian version. Make sure there are no other files (such has older backups) in the images or template subfolders that the Quickbooks database is stored in.

I had one that was creating massive backups because a previous backup was stored in the Images directory and it was being added to each new backup.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Just disable the object and move it somewhere. I just can't think of a single downside to keeping an object. If you never need it again, great.

It also keeps things consistent. Really old stuff has very little chances of every being useful. Stuff that isn't so old has a better chance. If things are never deleted, simply disabled and moved, you run a better chance of not making a mistake yourself. Goes the same for other working in the environment.

I'm firmly in the disable/don't delete (for a time) camp but did you know Active Directory has had a Recycle Bin for a while now? It's a very little known feature that might save you some day.

In Server 2008 R2 it was a bit of a drama to set up:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd392261(v=ws.10).aspx

In 2012 it's easy peasy lemon squeezy:
http://windowsitpro.com/active-directory/windows-server-2012-active-directory-recycle-bin

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Oh man my first confirmed Cisco software bug. I'd feel special if there wasn't a bunch of people who couldn't use the Internet.

I think I've implemented a workaround but I have no idea how stable it is. Whats the best timeframe to give the all clear?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Got a ticket saying that we needed to "computerize" our bell system (I'm a sysadmin at a school). I go and take a look at the current bell system and it's just a box of wires and electronics attached to the wall. I opened it up and saw absolutely no interface that would allow a computer to be attached to it, no ethernet, no serial ports, no USB ports, no ports whatsoever and I know it's not on our network at all. Yep, I'll get right on "computerizing" it.

Could probably replace the "ring the bell" button with a Raspberry PI and GPIO shield.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Hahahahah it's cute that you think that

Hey, woah. I said could not should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

lampey posted:

This could be a fun project that could save a lot of time rendering. Just install the backburner manager on the designer's computer and make a gpo to push 3ds max and backburner server to all the domain computers. Then set it to start as a service. Depending on the size of the files you are working on you will want a NAS for the bulk data.

What are the licensing requirements for something like that? Do you need a license for each rendering node?

• Locked thread