Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Building Android every day.

Ok, to be fair I shouldn't have to, but the init system for android is awful, and since 90% of the internet's pool of knowledge dealing with the actual android source code is how to build it and flash it and if anything goes wrong ask cyanogenmod, I am looking at the code myself for init and other various things.

So far so good, the code isn't a terrible mess, the structure is a terrible mess though. Soon I feel like I am going to run into David Bowie and break into a song. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

This really is a major problem with getting help on the Internet anyway. There's a shitload of shallow knowledge out there, often replicated (sometimes poorly) from some original source. If you want to go any further than building cyanogenmod for your phone and installing it, you're stuck. Want to know how Android interacts with the radio? Tough poo poo, better start digging through the source code, because xXx420bonerzxXx on the forums knows gently caress-all beyond how to run a rooting util. And if you ask about something, every dumb gently caress will do a google search for what you asked and post the first result without even loving considering if there's any relevance. Gotta get those StackOverflow points!

Indeed it is. I actually just fixed the problem by looking at init's source code and disabling it's stupid default behavior of dumping everything into /dev/null.

Turns out the board config file had the accelerometer set to true, so when init came along and tried to scrape it, init crashed because the board doesn't have an accelerometer!

Thanks you lazy fuckers who couldn't be arsed to create a proper board file!
And thanks google for having init auto default to dumping all stdint and stderr messages to /dev/null instead of just scraping a flag. That would be too loving hard apparently!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 13, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Spazz posted:

We sent a guy halfway around the world, requiring 3 layovers and 24+ hours of total travel. He forgot to pack a console cable. :smithicide:

Pfff, he should have shaved off the top layer of silk next to the processor and soldered on a usb cable with a few resistors to the exposed via's to get console.

Or at least that's what my friend had to do. :shepface:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I know I should be bitching, but I just upgraded our network to gigabit. OH MY GOD, I AM TRANSFERING AT 115MB/Sec. It's FLYING! :woop:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have a PMP, it's a iPod touch. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Caged posted:

Hey, stop that. This thread is off to far to cheerful a start, it will get depressing when someone looks back on it if it carries on like this.

Oh hey, calm down mister! If you want depressing stuff, from the old poo poo that pisses you off thread my company can be amazing sometimes.

Until last week we had a single server with a 240gig Mushkin SSD in it that hosted all of our mission critical projects, and a single 1TB platter drive for "backup."
This server did not have dual power supplies.
It has 16gigs of ram.
There was no revisioning system on it because the boss wanted us to upload to his svn offsite.

Now, as a preface here, my boss is usually really cool, and is one of the best programmers I have ever, and will probably ever meet. The problem is, the guy usually lives in a 256k world where his entire project is > 30 megs and has 20 files in it, so uploading off site to his svn wasn't a big deal.

Then I was hired because he wanted to move into the land of embedded Linux, which I know quite well! However he still wanted to use his old way of doing things, but to upload 8+ gigs of stuff at 30Kb/s is drat near impossible, and using svn on 8gigs worth of stuff is also equally terrible and slow. So it never happened.

So the old revisioning system literally was: Make a new folder on the 1tb with today's date, then copy and paste the 8gig's worth of project over to that new folder.

HOWEVER!

Last week we started a new project and things have started to change a bit!

Another power supply!
Four 3TB platter drives!
Another 240Gig Mushkin!
Revisioning control!
Gigabit ethernet!
Another 16gigs of ram!
And another server on order!

We also signed up for Basecamp (even though most of us wanted to use Google enterprise, my boss is pretty paranoid about Google.)

Redundancy! Backups! Project Management! It gives me the warm fuzzies that we now have modern stable equipment!

Now I just need a raise and I will be even be happier!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 15, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

But Android comes from git repos, why are you not just using git in the first place so that you get the benefit of the histories :negative:

The previous projects were embedded vanilla Linux, not Android.
I just like git a hell of a lot more than svn. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

couldcareless posted:

We have some third party people that access our terminal servers and our imaging system. Both require separate non-linked logins, as one would expect.

I just got a very angry email from one of these people because our system isn't set up to remember her credentials.

I broke out the overly polite passive aggressive approach for this one.

At the beginning of the day I create a new branch in git for whatever I am working on.
Any changes I make are recorded in libreOffice writer during the day.
At the end of the day I copy all of those notes on my changes into my nightly commit build.
If the changes are good I commit to master.
Any bugs in any software we are working on get's recorded to the local Bugzilla Server.
Any changes to the code I am working on has my initials, the date/time, and what the changes do/are next to the code I changed.
Any ongoing software changes or feature requests are sent IMMEDIATELY to my boss via email, so he can sign the request.
His email get's made into a PDF and shoved to my backup drive so if anything comes back to me I have a paper trail.

In short, I document a lot. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm actually unreasonably pleased that my wife is learning how to Google more effectively. It's also pretty :3: when she pops up on GTalk to tell me about a problem she had that she was going to bug me about, but spent half an hour Googling and figuring out the answer herself.

This is what I have learned over the years about google:

code:

if (Problem_Is_Not_Super_Complicated)
	google();
else
	Read_The_code();

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

That's unsafe code!

:colbert:

C# is for scrubs, and try statements take way more system resources than I like.

code:

Try_harder = google();
		if (Try_Harder != 0)
		{
			printf("%i! The community is full of stupid shits!\n", errno};
			Try_Hardest();
		}
else
	Read_The_Code();

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 20, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xae posted:

In the same vein my boss starts every conversation over IM like this:

Hello Xae, we need to talk
(5 minutes of silence)
Just wanted to say Bob in Accounting said you did a good job with the request last week. Keep up the good work.

I am pretty sure he just enjoys trolling me at this point. Because in that 5 minutes I'm busy trying to think of who I pissed off.

My boss started a conversation with "We need to talk, you are too new to programming to keep you on the current project." Now that's a troll. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KennyG posted:

Our StyleCop would reject you :colbert:

code:
public double TheNeedful()
{
	double profit = 0;
	try{
		profit = Google();
	}
	catch (Exception Obscure){
		Manual TFM = Manual.Read(Obscure.Problem);
		profit = Answer.toProfit(TFM.Obvious);
	}
	return profit;
}

GNU style for life. :colbert:

code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <drinks.h>

int google(void);
u_int8_t Try_Harder = 0;

int main(void)
{
	while (1)
	{
		{
			Drink();
			Try_harder = google();
		}		
		if (Try_Harder != 0)
		{
			printf("%i! The community is full of stupid shits!\n", errno};
			Try_Harder = Try_Hardest();
			if (Try_Harder != 0)
			{
				Drink();
			}
		}
		else
		{
			Drink();
			Read_The_Code();
		}	
	}
return 0;
}

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just learned that evolution can use the output of bash scripts for a signature. :swoon:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nitrogen posted:

Why the gently caress are you bringing your coffee into the pisser??? :morning:

Clearly that coffee ring should be on the top of a shitter.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

It's so that the user can perform a direct system flush

He's using his FIFO efficiently. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This is why I setup Jabber and vnc. It's not as nice looking or as integrated as lync, but it works fairly well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Boss wanted me to use Norton Ghost on our linux server today. I spent drat near two hours messing with it before I threw the disk out the window and used a partimage livecd and had a backup in less than a hour.

Thanks Norton for loving up your only good product! :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hihifellow posted:

Aww hell. I don't think this one has caused us any issues but it was approved in WSUS :negative:

I've already approved it for uninstall with a deadline of yesterday, but are there any advisories or anything that I can watch that will note when Microsoft releases a bum update like this?

The one thing I have learned from the embedded world, is to not update. EVER.

And if you must update, wait a few weeks before you update after the update has come out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to finally get an SSD for my home machine but encountered some weirdness after cloning to it. I posted this in the SSD thread but it doesn't get much traffic and there's plenty of smart people here:

I have a weird problem. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig drive. I'm using the free Easeus 6.0 backup to clone my old drive to the new one. The old drive has three partitions: System Recovery (100 megs), Main Drive (900 gigs) and manufacturer restore (10 gigs.)

After cloning disk to disk from old to new the manufacture restore is still 10 gigs, but the System Recovery partition ballooned to 5 gigs and the main drive takes what's left. System boots fast but it's annoying to see so much wasted space.

Booted off the old drive, cleared off the SSD partitions and manually cloned the partitions one at a time. Sizes were then correct, but it was skipped in the boot sequence in favor of the old drive. I noticed that the SSD main partition wasn't active so I activated it and now my system attempts to boot from it but I get a message that the boot manager is missing.

Should I just be using a Windows repair CD to fixmbr and fixbot this thing, or is there some other issue with how I cloned via partitions?

Use a partimage livecd and try that. Perhaps the ssd is misaligned also considering it's block sizes are (*possibly*) different than the hdd.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So if I had to choose either the LPIC-2 or the rhcsa, which one should I get? I already have the LPIC-1 because it was really really really easy to get.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sounder posted:

Is this uncommon? In the financial industry, if you want to upgrade your computers out of XP/Server2003-world, it's a good bet your vendors will insist on disabling UAC for their lovely applications.

This translates into "We don't want to update a few strings."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So you know how I said a few weeks ago we were getting RAID for the server?

The RAID card, the extra power supply, and the four 3TB platter drives have been sitting on top of the server for the last two weeks because we can't possibly take the server down for a few hours to properly secure over a million dollars worth of code. :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lum posted:

Earlier this year my XP machine was replaced with a modern Dell (not sure which one E6430 perhaps?) with 4GB RAM, 64bit Windows and a DVD drive with no burning facilities at all.

It takes about 15 seconds to switch tabs in Visual Studio 2012, and about 10 seconds to alt+tab to another application, such as Outlook.

Good god. I love VS2012, but I couldn't imagine using it on anything but 8+gigs of ram and a SSD now. :psyduck:

TBH I am not sure if I like Eclipse or VS2012 more though. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lum posted:

Probably goes without saying that this machine does not have an SSD.

VS2008 on my old 2GB XP machine was much more pleasant to use, however everything else about that machine was horrible!

I went from a 1tb platter drive to a 240gig ssd at work and will never, EVER not use a SSD for coding again. Compiling is just so magically fast. :allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Finally got backing up completely implemented with lvm's and fully automated cron jobs that snapshot the lvm each saturday at 12am complete with a comment log.

Who's backed up? This guy. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I was told yesterday that I wasn't trusted to do my job.

They trusted me to:

Setup CentOS complete with a raid1+0 array with multiple LVM's.
Setup Samba, NFS, IP-Tables, (while keeping SELinux on. :smug:), Gerrit, and a slew of other things.
Create hardware monitoring scripts that will make the server beep constantly if the raid freaks out.
Create and manage a script that snapshots the lvm and uploads it to our onsite backup server, which then once a week uploads to the offsite server.

But I am not trusted to say it's working properly. :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use Spotify and Promoe which can use winamp 2.x skins. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wa27 posted:

This is getting off topic but can you elaborate? I would love to use a winamp skin with Spotify and I can't figure out what Promoe even is.

Sorry, my sentence was unclear.

I use Spotify.
AND I use Promoe, which uses winamp skins.

I wish Spoitify would use Winamp skins. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
And this is why I use Linux (at work). gently caress you all with the need for GUI's. :smug: CLI interface best interface.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Stop-Computer -Force -Computername localhost

ssh $ip -t poweroff :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GreenNight posted:

New user: I need my mailbox limit bumped up, I can't do my job with only 1 gig.
Me: Sorry but company policy is 1 gig, no exceptions. Even the CEO only has a 1 gig mailbox.
New user: That's crazy. Let me talk to a few people because I'm important.
*crickets*

Happens a few times a year.

I have been at my job for over a year now and only used like 100 megs of space without deleting a single email. How is 1gig too little?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Most (just about all) end users don't know what a file really is, let alone understand FTP well enough to use it.

What is a file? A miserable pile of serialised structs!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why not just use mysql?

edit* Oh, this is on Exchange. Nevermind my dumb butt.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

:v: Hey Dilbert do you know of any way to backup a Red Hat 2.1 AS server?

:stare:

I am scared to ask because I want to know if in the 10 years it has been running if it has ever been backed up.

:stare: It's last update was in 2005, it's release was in 2003, and it's EOL was 2009. Good GOD that poo poo is old.

Did you just run DD and call it good for them? :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Pretty the alternative I gave if we don't P2V, but I don't think it will float because it doesn't have the words "enterprise edition" next to it.

It reminds me of my rants with people over FC and IP based storage.

ln -s rsync rsync_enterprise_edition :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Been taking on the task of cleaning up a project that is finally winding down. It lasted 18 months and is completely disorganized and undocumented, so I gave myself the task of making it possible to go from source -> binary match of GM.
Two full days on it and I think I am about 50% there.

Also for anybody who gives a poo poo: Ubuntu 13.04 ships with ldconfig v2.17, which now checks libraries first for machine then a valid ELF format, so cross compiling is hosed! :suicide:

What giant loving neckbeard decided that was a good idea was beyond me, but it took my a good hour of head scratching to figure out why no symlinks to my cross compiled libraries were being created.

The fix was to yank ldconfig from 12.04 and during compile time set my path to point towards the old ldconfig first in a script. It's messy, but better than nothing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My boss has crown royal in his desk for us on Friday. I also drink a beer with lunch every once in a while and nobody cares. It helps there is only 6 people at the company though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't get sick days. My sick days are literally: "Oh your sick? Come in when you feel better!"
I get two weeks of vacation per year also.

I do think if you have kids then you should probably spend your vacation time with them, because you're the father/mother and all. Spending vacation just for a video game and ignoring your kids is a pretty lovely thing to do.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 17, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Oh man...

Decided it was desktop maintenance time. Opened it up, cleaned it out, made sure everything was fitted right, put it back in, booted a few times, then flashed the rom

Erasing.....100%
Writing.....100%
Verifying.6% FAILED.

What the poo poo? try again...
NO ASUS ROM DETECTED.

son of a...

so I google it, and apparently the rom flashing utility is notorious for making GBS threads itself at that exact point. My computer is now running with a blank bios, eagerly awaiting the next power outage to die and never return.

Dead comp walking.

And this is why I boot into DOS to this day to still flash a bios. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like the way *nix stores passwords, which I have done a taking to in my apps that I code.

Encrypt it one way, remove any trace of it from memory. If a user types his password back in, you have to re-encrypt it again and compare the encrypted value to the encrypted password.

• Locked thread