Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Building Android every day.

Ok, to be fair I shouldn't have to, but the init system for android is awful, and since 90% of the internet's pool of knowledge dealing with the actual android source code is how to build it and flash it and if anything goes wrong ask cyanogenmod, I am looking at the code myself for init and other various things.

This really is a major problem with getting help on the Internet anyway. There's a shitload of shallow knowledge out there, often replicated (sometimes poorly) from some original source. If you want to go any further than building cyanogenmod for your phone and installing it, you're stuck. Want to know how Android interacts with the radio? Tough poo poo, better start digging through the source code, because xXx420bonerzxXx on the forums knows gently caress-all beyond how to run a rooting util. And if you ask about something, every dumb gently caress will do a google search for what you asked and post the first result without even loving considering if there's any relevance. Gotta get those StackOverflow points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's a similar situation for a lot of hardware devices. There are tons of guides on hacking and installing CFW and pirating things on the PSP, but if you want to get down to the metal and low-level functions of the PSP and do some neat stuff, you have to put in some serious effort into finding details and specs on the system itself. It's disappointing that such knowledge isn't as common as it should be. You can still find some nice documentation on older systems like the NES and GBC, though.

I was doing some work with VESA, PCI, and PS/2 hardware emulation. Turns out there's almost no decent documentation on the Internet, just a bunch of people repeating the same incomplete, incorrect bullshit. I eventually had to buy a book ("The Undocumented PC").

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lum posted:

Also told them off for having a "Date of Birth" field with a calendar control that defaults to today's date, on a system that only deals with adults.

Bet they're going to regret asking me to do testing :)

What should it default to? Having a calendar control for DoB is kind of silly but so having any other default date on that calendar.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

enotnert posted:

I got a lot of emails last week. . .

The person they hired to replace my boss is leaving (evidently she's been 'working from china' for the bulk of 2 years, and according to my interactions with grad students in that program in bars. . . my term in that department is known as the time when things worked).

Well, pretty much every professor in those two departments are calling for me to apply, except of course for professor iPad.

What the hell, "working from china" for 2 years sounds like the worst thing ever. I'm on the Pacific Coast. It's currently 5 p.m. here and 8 a.m. in Shanghai. It basically guarantees every email will be answered the next day, and you'll only get phone calls by calling outside of someone's normal work hours (guarantee it won't be the boss's work hours, even though she's the one in loving China)

Also I'd have reservations about letting the person in charge of your computers and networks work from China. I'm probably extra paranoid because of work, but :drat:

• Locked thread