Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

This really is a major problem with getting help on the Internet anyway. There's a shitload of shallow knowledge out there, often replicated (sometimes poorly) from some original source. If you want to go any further than building cyanogenmod for your phone and installing it, you're stuck. Want to know how Android interacts with the radio? Tough poo poo, better start digging through the source code, because xXx420bonerzxXx on the forums knows gently caress-all beyond how to run a rooting util. And if you ask about something, every dumb gently caress will do a google search for what you asked and post the first result without even loving considering if there's any relevance. Gotta get those StackOverflow points!

It's a similar situation for a lot of hardware devices. There are tons of guides on hacking and installing CFW and pirating things on the PSP, but if you want to get down to the metal and low-level functions of the PSP and do some neat stuff, you have to put in some serious effort into finding details and specs on the system itself. It's disappointing that such knowledge isn't as common as it should be. You can still find some nice documentation on older systems like the NES and GBC, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Science posted:

I just met a 23 year old with a PMP. I don't think I would ever trust a PM under the age of 40. Does that make me old-fashioned?

A PMP? Doesn't everyone have one of those nowadays? Whether it's an ipod or a phone or a generic MP3 player....

• Locked thread