Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Things that piss me off, developer's edition:

- Having an issue regarding a missing button from one our web-based interfaces that was there previously. Looking into it, it seems a guy in the UK office working on a *completely* unrelated issue decided to exclude it from it's parent component, possibly to clean up unnecessarily looking code. Except that if he just searched the code base for places that it's used, he'd see that of the three times it is included in a screen there's one that uses that button. Thankfully really easy to fix, but that sort of behavior means I can expect more of the same in the future.

(There's also the problem that the button there is an exception to the base use of the component and would have been better served attaching it to another component closer to its original intent, but since this software is already bought and used clients I can't exactly justify changing it on them suddenly)

- I have a useless Project Manager. I've had two excellent ones back when my responsibilities were towards a single project: easy to communicate with, willing to listen to alternatives, understanding the difference between being a leader and being a somebody with more power over you. Now that R&D is a large part of my work I've got this dude they brought on maybe 6 or 7 months ago. Take everything I said about my previous two and reverse it and you get my state of direct management. To put it into perspective, here's a task he created for me when he was desperate to find something for me to do:

TITLE: Work Assignment: Block doesn't display route names
DESC: Blocks should display actual route names

On the screen in question, the grid of blocks already had a column for route names so I was a bit confused. When he came over to tell me that he assigned me this task (which I already knew because my email told me a minute earlier), I told him what did he mean by route names. After the third time I asked for clarification of what's missing, he tells me that the grid needs a column for route names. Wait...

- He's performing his job as a go-between at a bare minimum for everything that doesn't touch on the very first big project he was responsible for. And if it's that project oh man you better believe everything must be perfect and QA tested without a QA person on-board and 'pretty.' That last one is probably the worst bit because he doesn't do visualization well and it's what I'm most responsible for in the User Interfaces. His idea of 'pretty' does not coincide with mine nor with what the client/higher ups want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

The question is, why drink Bud when there are better domestic options like Sleeman's or Moosehead for about the same price?

(I live in Guelph, I may be biased on the Sleeman beer)

• Locked thread