Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've really enjoyed reading an A+ study guide.

Well then, you're just the kind of sick SOB that should be working in IT :banjo:

quote:

So now I know how a laser printer actually works

Get out while you still have a chance :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

Sickening posted:

How the gently caress does this poo poo even happen?

gently caress you Microsoft.

How? Because this is the Microsoft Org Chart:

(source: clipped from Bonkers World: http://www.bonkersworld.net/organizational-charts/)

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah I don't think merging 3 major megathreads ... was the greatest idea

I will third this sentiment

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

A ticket came in...

:supaburn: Help! We have a Server 2008 R2 machine that meets all requirements and the install keeps failing!!!

:eng101: Does it have SP1 installed?

:supaburn: No. Is that a requirement?

:tizzy: wha-...I...did you even look at the system requirements? :suicide:

Edit: I wish I could set up an autoresponder that said RTFM. That would end up solving about 98% of the cases that come in. On the flip side, it makes it more embarrassing when I personally run into an issue and the answer turns out to be RTFM :doh:

IamJacksAlcoholism fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 29, 2013

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What sort of animal sacrifice pleases Canadian gods?

You must mean the "Old Gods of the Forest"? Worshiped by the Children of the Forest and the First Men?

Worshippers of the Old Gods do not have elaborate ceremonies, holy texts, hierarchies of priests, or large structures of worship like followers of the Faith of the Seven. Instead they practice quiet contemplation in godswoods.

Winter is coming

:dance:

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

GanjamonII posted:

I recently got "Our disaster plan includes ordering hardware from a vendor who normally has a 3-4 week lead time. Oh and part of the disaster recovery plan is to have you guys determine what equipment to buy, which data center to put it into and how to configure it after a disaster is declared, we don't need to plan any of that right now... Oh also it absolutely needs to be up during month end, every month."

When I read this, this video came to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Inspector_71 posted:

I love when users ask you questions that simply don't make any sense no matter how you parse them. I had somebody this morning asking me about what IP address her e-mail was tied to, and if that could be the problem with her cloud syncing.

I don't even know where to begin responding to that sort of thing.

That's like asking "What color is the number 27?"

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

frogbert posted:

Here's a quick and dirty. You'll need to give users permission to modify their Computers AD object description but I don't see that as being a massive security issue. Any optimizations or constructive criticism is welcome.

Since you are already using WMI, you could skip the AD call and use Win32_NetworkLoginProfile. This will give you a list of all accounts that have successfully logged in. The "Name" property and the "NumberOfLogons" property can be used to determine the primary user or users of the machine.

Is matching the computer to a user really that important?

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Using VS as a crutch isn't a good thing.

I've heard these purist arguments before and they're bullshit. Notepad++ is a tool, so is Vi, Emacs, Eclipse, Visual Studio, ect. If you can get your job done more effectively when using one tool over another, then use that tool. Better; worse; good; bad; these are all subjective terms and only apply to an individual, not a universal standard.

Edit: Reading further back on this thread I will add to this statement. If someone is new to programming and doesn't know what an IDE is, maybe it's because they are new! I know, radical concept, but give it some thought, you'll see that I'm right.

As someone that is just learning to program, I'm finding that using an IDE is very helpful. As time goes on, I'm becoming more proficient with it and it gets easier to use.

IamJacksAlcoholism fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 18, 2013

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

No poo poo. But if you can't use a socket wrench I don't want you to be my mechanic, even if you can rebuild a engine with a impact wrench.

So, someone that uses an IDE to write code wouldn't know how to write code in a text editor? Of course they would. They may be slower at it because they aren't used to doing it that way, but it could still be done. Actually, your analogy just makes my point for me. Why would you care what tool I use, the engine gets rebuilt either way. Wouldn't you want me to use the tool that makes me the most productive?

ratbert90 posted:

What if VS isn't there? Knowing how to use the other tools isn't just a good thing, it should be a necessity.
Just how often do you find yourself needing to write code away from your tools?

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Caveat: I'm assuming we're still actually writing code ourselves here, and not using some of these tools' powerful code generation features to slap together the most bland, generic programs imaginable without knowing anything.

This is my understanding as well. If I use a WYSISYG editor and don't actually write the code, then I'm not a programmer, I'm...a web developer? (just kidding):dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

The Fool posted:

They pay for the best buy extended warranty and installation.

Whenever I'm contacted by the clueless user asking a ridiculous question, this scene plays in my head. Every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyC0gcMD8O8

• Locked thread