Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
I work helpdesk, sorry, Service Desk, so everything is a loving ticket.

I'm having a weird day though - one user actually asked me to punch him in the face, another promised me chocolate, and I've just created an account for someone called Jacky Wilson, putting the Dexy's song onto my internal jukebox for the rest of the night.

I've been in this job too long, currently YOTJing and nagging recruiters, but this is probably the wrong thread for that sort of thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toxteth OGrady fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Caged posted:

Did he look like the guy from Ted?

Haven't seen it, but if he only knew how close he came to getting that particular service request fulfilled.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Potato Alley posted:

Sorry for the slight derail, but this is interesting to me - there's a very common construction in Pennsylvania and the surrounding area where people omit saying "to be", usually after the verb needs (as in "this needs washed"), but I didn't know there were any examples of similar omission in British English usage. Is "wanting rid of" common?

The 'wanting rid of it' thing is fairly common in all areas of British English, but I've heard variations like 'this needs cleaned' from Northern England (e.g. Cumbria) and Scotland.

On topic, all of our students (tens of thousands) had their email migrated from live@edu to office365. All that's changed is the location of the login page. We took a weeks worth of phone calls in one day yesterday because students don't read the emails warning them of upcoming changes. I haven't done anything IT related for weeks - all I do is tell people passwords and URLs, and my working day is a constant battle not to just up and gently caress off out the door (I've got a family to feed, so can't, yet). Apologies for slight E/N.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Our school just made this change as well, I would hate to be tech support there right about now. At least while they were changing things they also changed our LMS from Angel to Desire2Learn, so we can all stop using IE6 just to submit assignments and download lecture notes! (If you've never had the pleasure of using Angel, it's like blackboard only ten thousand times more poorly written):

iframes in iframes in iframes in iframes

Holy hell in a handbasket, dem iframes! Blackboard is our LMS, so I haven't had much exposure to the alternatives, something I'm very glad of looking at that screenshot.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
A ticket didn't come in....

I'm setting up some desktops for a couple of temporary staff we're expecting. This is technically 'above my pay grade' but I'll do it because it's actually interesting and stops me from going mental. They were imaged/installed by the 'proper' technicians, I'm just setting up outlook and AD U&C on them.

One of them, has 8GB of RAM, and a 32 bit OS. wtf?

I had to jump through soooo many hoops just to get 4GB and x64. I'm presuming that that particular machine previously belonged to one of the devs, was redeployed/reimaged with the standard x86 image, and no one but me knows that its got 4x as much RAM as standard.

Now where's my screwdriver?

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

ookiimarukochan posted:

This is both a WTF and thing that I have seen myself (started a new job and the machine they'd bought for me had 6GB of RAM / x86 OS "because some of our code won't work on x64" - fair enough, but why the extra 2GB? I never got a good explanation for that)

In the year 2013, why the hell does your standard machine only have 2GB of RAM? You're deploying an OS modern enough to have 32 and 64 bit versions, and I don't think ANY of them are happy with only 2GB of RAM.

hosed if I know, such decisions aren't mine to make, I just have to deal with the 'it's slow' tickets :(

In the minds of those who do make such decisions, the happiness of the users isn't even a consideration (even when it = saving ££).

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

nitrogen posted:

Mister Helpdesk
Send me a dream
Make my computer the fastest I've seen.
Give me a mailbox without any quota.
Don't care about policies one iota!

Mister Helpdesk
I'm such a dunce
I spilled my coffee and dumped out my lunch
and now my laptop will no longer function
I'll dump my problems on you without compunction!

Helpdesk,
I'm so alone,
Can't find the password for my IP phone,
Please, my mailbox is full,
Mr Helpdesk do the needfull.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Lum posted:

"Measure not what is important, but make important what you can measure"

- An Idiot

"You can't fatten a pig by weighing it"

-Toxteth O'Grady, to every metric obsessed damager ever

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Is this the best place for general bitching?

Aaanyway, someone who's paid considerably more than me (about £15k pa more) just asked me how many milimeters are in a centimeter. Same damager has also asked:

Is there such a thing as USB to USB?
Do Jews celebrate Christmas?
Have we got any febreze?

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

Waiting for the obligatory "does this look infected to you?"

Oh Christ, the very thought. Is there an :appalled: smiley?

She riles me, because occasionally, she talks the most sense out of all of them (management). Then she ruins it by asking whether India and Pakistan are the same "thing".

It's literally YOTJ for me though - in almost exactly 12 months time, my household expenses will drop by an enormous amount, giving me the financial wriggle-room to move out of my lucrative yet soul destroying job.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Finally, a needful came in....

"Once again requesting for doing the needful,

Looking forward to hear from you,

Thanking you,

Regards,
A. Customer"

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

So a developer pulled me into his office.

:geno: Blackswordca! Why isn't Visual Studio 2012 installed on this workstation, I need it!
:raise: I installed in myself, its on there.
:geno: No its not, I cant find it!
:raise: *clicks start button and clicks on the folder marked "Visual Studio 2012"*

Then there was the awkward silence.

No desktop shortcut?

I get so many calls where "x isn't installed", when "x" is a web app/site, and "not installed" means "doesn't have a desktop shortcut".

A ticketing system came in! Landesk SD! And I get to administerististrate it! :emo:

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
An email came in....

asyoucansee
thespacebar
onmykeyboard
nowdoesnot
functioneither
sohope
youcan
resolvethis
formesoon

pfffft :D

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Reply that they can use Alt-032 to enter a space and close the ticket.

Ha! I would, but I'll be nice seeing as she sent us a mildly amusing email email instead of the usual :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Please don't do this. If your old employer are as bad as you say, they could come after you. Besides, leaving them with a hunk of random information with no organization is so much better. Or let them delete it when they reimage your machine.

Don't delete it - that would possibly implicate you (no plausible deny-ability).

File it. File it deep. File it away somewhere no one will ever find it, and is likely to be deleted before anyone looks.

It's a PITA not to have e.g. your predecessor's docs, but the reason we don't is that our employers/managers are dicks. Once they stop being dicks, people will leave useful docs.

• Locked thread