Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Science posted:

I just met a 23 year old with a PMP. I don't think I would ever trust a PM under the age of 40. Does that make me old-fashioned?

My favorite PM in the company is 28, just got her PMP, and is heading to Mexico next week to do a fashion shoot for a couple fitness magazines.

She's ruined all other PMs for me. Not that that's a difficult task, the rest of them here are alternately assholes, clueless, or clueless assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

Packet Sniffer keeps popping into my head

Seconding "Packet". That's a great dog name.

My old VP used to bring his huskies in to the office sometimes. Nothing makes a Monday OK like a big goofy super well behaved sled team dog hanging out all day.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

AcidRonin posted:

Packet it is. I rather like that name.

I do think this is how it should work yes. Also by right of letting him have some of my hogie.

I'm mostly disappointed that we don't have pictures yet.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Checking in with today's "gently caress Printers"

We are finally getting around to rolling out Windows 7 x64 laptops outside of IS.
No one on the deployment team told us that was happening - the timeline got pushed up and wasn't communicated at all.
This means there's about 200 printers across five 2003 x86 print servers that need to be migrated to the new 2008R2 print server so they can have x64 print drivers.

And *of course* it's affecting production and *of course* it's urgent that Johnny O'SalesDouche and Jane McSellYouShit have *THEIR* printers right now and DON'T YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS and DROP EVERYTHING IT'S A PRINTER EMERGENCY.

I hate printers.

I hate users.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

skipdogg posted:

You can install x64 drivers on a x86 print server. I have 64bit drivers installed on 2003 32bit print servers with no problem. You just have to add them from a x64 client with the drivers already installed. It's not too hard. You can take care of this in less than an hour probably.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732946.aspx

or

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...er-x86-sp2-help

Oh, I know you *can* add them, but we're migrating all the printers instead because the old print servers are old and physical and P2V isn't an option and reasons.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I have become, if I'm being honest, pretty loving tired of people giving me deadlines when they have no sense of my workload.

HR just realized they don't have an I-9 on file for me (and I assume a bunch of other people). They have sent me an email this morning instructing me to return the attached I-9 within 3 calendar days. This means Tuesday. It is a 3 day weekend.

I just don't understand how after 14 months of not having an I-9, this person thinks 3 days is a reasonable period.

If it wouldn't get me immediately fired, I would put that first line as my Lync message and my email signature.
The next chucklefuck douchecanoe that tells me to have a 4 hour deployment ready by tomorrow morning when they didn't submit the request until 1630 is getting throat punched.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

I am expecting it to be honest, even though there is an email that went out to the entire company that the Sr was messing with the server

We get to leave early today because of a bicycle race shutting down the majority of the downtown core this afternoon. I have to leave at the same time because I am taking bus to and from work. I let my manager know and he said " No problem, just work from home after hours to make up your missed time"

yeah.. I'll get right on that. Need to figure out how to bill playing through the giant stack of unplayed sale games in my steam library.

Me and that Bike Race are going to get in a fight. I hate downtown on the best of days but not being able to cross the street to get a loving coffee because there might be a bike at some point in the next 15 minutes is going to turn me into one of those guys that 'accidentally' opens his car door into bike traffic.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
on the patch panel
no connections, no lights on
UPS? Ha, no

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I was trying to convince my old VP to buy one of the old World of Warcraft servers and do something like that with it. Never did get him 100% convinced, which is a shame because that looks really swell.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Dev->QA->UAT->Preprod ||| Production

||| should ideally be a physical separation, like running production on a different VM Infrastructure entirely.
In the age of cheap virtualization, there's no excuse for putting dev boxes directly into production. That poo poo makes my skin crawl.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Oh boy. The "number one priority mission critical highest importance" project just decreed that deployment teams (me, one other guy) are now on a 7 day work week until full release in January. Which is the 6th deadline push they've done now.
So they want me doing this modified schedule. Work on the weekends with a "couple days here and there during the week" off. Next to zero notice on deployment timelines. Expected code releases "when the application teams have them" which could be 8am, could be 5pm, could be midnight. With a 2 hour deployment window after the code is released.
I've told them my rates are $500 an hour cash only outside the normal working and on call hours stipulated in my job description. I don't think they realize I'm serious.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
https://medium.com/editors-picks/6d711818b86a

I feel like printing out 100s of copies of this in a crazy typewriter font and leaving them all over work, Unabomber Manifesto style.

Day 15 straight. No end in sight. I miss weekends.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, they corrected reality to match their documentation. :colbert:

Our architects have been doing that for months with this project. We get *URGENT OH GOD ON FIRE* weekend and evening deployments, builds and testing, and then 2 weeks later an architectural document shows up on Sharepoint that *just happens* to match the existing, out of our rear end build that's running.

2 weeks after that we get to sit down in the monthly meeting and explain, again, why the build documents and the architecture documents have this weird date created issue where the build is WAY OLDER than the document it's supposed to be based off.

Then the architects accuse us of "pre-building" documents so the dates are wrong.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I have a really nice Server 2012 Root/Intermediate Certificate structure.
I issue all our internal certificates from it.
Our new intranet, of course, gets it's shiny new 2048 bit certificate from there.
A majority of our branch users (the main intranet audience) uses Citrix. The god damned citrix servers are on Server 2003 SP2, on a different domain in a different forest. This means when I imported the Root and Intermediate CA over to this other forest, the Citrix servers went "Huh? No that certificate can't be valid, look at all those numbers".

Server 2003 SP2 is what, 6+ years old? End of Life on that poo poo was years ago.

But there's a hotfix at least. That I can put on manually. Because it doesn't come as an msi, but as an exe.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Lum posted:

Isn't it end of life next year?

Might be. All I know is I was barely out of High School when it was first released and I don't like it and I don't want to use it. Grumble bitch moan.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

OpenText eDocs DM for me.

Did you know that upgrading from 5.2.1 to 5.3.1 changes the amount of time it takes to open a document profile form (which all of my users do dozens to hundreds of times a day) from 2-3 seconds to 10-20 seconds?

I can't upgrade to fix a bunch of major bugs because if I do the users here will riot and murder me.

"We need .net 4.5 patches installed! It's Urgent and Affecting Production on the OpenText server! NO YOU CAN'T RESTART IT IT'S PRODUCTION! NO not even during the outage window! WHY AREN'T MY PATCHES INSTALLED YET?!?!"

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I make about $3000 being on call every year, but man I hate it and it's not worth the 3am calls. I don't care if Nagios thinks it's a critical error, for the ninth loving time this month the god damned eDocs server is *supposed* to reboot at 0030, that's the only way to make the loving memory leak not suck.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

McGlockenshire posted:

You know that you can tell Nagios to not bother you about certain things between certain hours, right?

It's not Nagios, it's the barely literate dipshit overnight 'ops' guys that cause me grief.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
"This error is happening when people do x, y, z, but sometimes it happens when they do A and B or A or B, and it mostly happens at night except when it happens during the day, and it happens every day except when it only happens on weekends"

Oh ok, let me get right on that. Is it affecting production? Of course it is how silly of me to ask.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
You know, I'm getting mighty god damned sick of Friday afternoon "emergency changes" that effectively make my weekend disappear.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Blacksword, when you finally ditch that god awful place you are at, I am taking you out for a beer. We'll go to the underground downtown and try something off every single one of the 70+ taps.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Hey guys, how do you spell FUN?

Because for me it's

Fucking
Untested
um..
ChaNges

in the production environment, 2 days after a major product rollout, with the remark of "I trust my guys, don't you?" from the programmer Manager.

gently caress today.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

Oh man, the best part about being completely disgruntled is not giving two shits about this kind of thing. Twitch.tv playing on my second monitor all day while I'm coding? Sure, why not. Only 480p though, 'cause I'm considerate like that.

gently caress that noise, I'm listening to Ke$ha in full 1080p on youtube. Music sounds better in 1080p.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
loving application teams.
When you're generating a gig of logs an hour, you should probably monitor the space available, and maybe, I dunno, do what you said you would 2 months ago and set up a job to ship the loving things to the log backup server.
Maybe loving zip them up, I don't know, I'm not a log wizard.
What you absolutely shouldn't do is have your manager complain to his manager, about how the platform team (me) isn't giving you the support you need. And you absolutely, 100% for sure, completely totally should loving NOT blame me for the outage on your stupid bullshit system, because I have notes and emails, rear end in a top hat, and I will throw you under a different, larger, angrier bus than the one you just tried to throw me under.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Tell us how you really feel.

Current Mood: Annoyed, Homicidal, :(

Roughly in that order.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Yay my network is back to (mostly) normal levels after the Women's Hockey Gold Medal game finished (Yay Canada wooo!).

Opening up streaming for Olympic Hockey to everyone - A Human Right; and I have no problem telling users to wait a couple hours, Hockey is on, your file upload will finish eventually.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Theresa Frontpage posted:

We were getting 400ms+ pings to everywhere outside the office during that game, but nobody in management told me to block olympics.cbc.ca, so...

sometimes it's nice to not have the authority to do anything proactive, i probably would've had a nervous breakdown from the giant angry crowd of people who would have swarmed my desk if i'd blocked it

We had the lounge TVs on 3rd and 2nd tuned to the game, and a projector in the atrium area. I still had 400 open streaming connections and was told in no uncertain terms that streaming is not to be blocked whatsoever.
I like Hockey time, we do the same thing at Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
45 tickets came in.

I was on vacation for 2 weeks. As far as I can tell, no one looked at the queue the entire time I was gone.

There's tickets in here that were assigned the day I left that are now a week+ overdue before they even get looked at.

There's 7 people on the team. I know we have projects, but seriously assholes, I shouldn't be the only one looking at these things.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Friday at 4:00, an 'emergency' ticket comes in. The QA team wants an update done to some software so they can test on Sunday.
So Friday night I spend 2 hours updating things, getting it all running, and fire off an email to my boss that it's complete.

Sunday morning rolls around, and the testing lead, a complete jackass with no idea how to do his job, waits until 11am to fire off an email to me, my boss, the VP and the CIO, with a couple CCs of other manager and higher level types, that they are 'calling off' the testing due to 'receiving no support and having no idea if the update was complete'. He calls me out specifically asking why the updates aren't done even though I had asked him on Friday when the best time to do it would be.

My boss throws me under the bus, asking why I didn't let anyone know I was done.

This is not the first time I've put up with this poo poo. The testing team couldn't find their rear end with a map and 2 friends, and they never seem to get requests in until the very last minute, then expect them done well outside SLA as a 'favor' and a 'one time thing'.

If this goes the way I think it will, I am going to be spending next week looking for a new job.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Yep. gently caress corporate foodchain sensitivities. If your boss throws you under the bus, quid pro quo the fucker.

Oh yeah, its all in the email chain. It hasn't mattered before, it won't matter today.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

martyrdumb posted:

BCC a copy to your home email so they can't deny you unemployment.

Oh no, I didn't mean I'm going to get fired or anything. We didn't fire the guy who turned off the fire supression in the DC so he could smoke in there, they won't fire me over this. Just that this might be the impetus I need to :yotj: finally.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I have those posters up in HR, Marketing and C-Level Copy rooms. I figure if I'm going to get any bites, those are the 3 most likely areas.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

Callcenter's seem to bring out the dregs of humanity. The things I've seen in my years working at them. There was one I worked at that was a converted Zellers store, it had a total of four washrooms, two for men, two for women, each with a total of three toilets in each for a call center with 600+ employees on shift at any time. Everyone had to share headsets and desks so things like pinkeye, any any cold or flu going around went through employees like wildfire. I only ever used the washrooms on site once and its something I still try and forget.

My time at Dell was more interesting. There were the bathroom masterbators. Two women that I knew about that that were prostituting themselves to some of the employees, including several of the managers. There were a couple of guys that hung out all the time on adult friend finder and would try to arrange meetups with other call center people. The furries. Plus the general unwashed masses. One guy on my team came in every day, summer or winter, smelling like dirt. Not dirty cloths, but actual soil.

Then there were the customers but I dont think there is enough room for me to post all the stories I have.

Woooah did we work at Dell at the same time? The old building in the South Common? I work there now, it's HQ for the Credit Union and it's a completely different building, but that brought back some bad bad memories.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I got a ticket in today, to reissue a certificate
For Lotus Notes
Wait it gets better!
Lotus Notes 4.5.5
WAIT! It gets BETTER!
On NT 4.0!
WAIT! It gets EVEN BETTER!
From 1996!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Notable achievements that this server has been alive for:

Pokemon
Quake
Mario loving 64

Antioch fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 30, 2014

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Transferred over the branch data to DFS over the weekend. Or at least I started to, since there's people out there with 10GB+ pst files sitting on shared drives. We have some locations running 1/1 ADSL so that poo poo's going to take forever.
They gonna be MAD when I put a file exclusion filter on DFS. I'm looking forward to it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

During the ambush meeting where my three bosses let me know I had been re-classified from a good employee to a bad one my de facto boss told me he wanted more "butt stuff." When the VP of HR asked what my butt was he said "my butt is when your files are on a server."

:smithbutt:

I want you all to know that Cloud to Butt makes this conversation the most amazing thing ever.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

So a job offer came in.

base raise of 10%, plus monthly bonuses ( will need to see how those work )

Mostly work from home with some onsite. Monthly cell phone stipend as well. Wage renegotiation after probation is done ( 3 months )

Holy poo poo congratulations. I actually feel real physical relief at you getting out of that godawful position. I'll have to buy you a beer or something.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
A ticket came in from Ops

"Everything is down!"

Being my pragmatic self, I doubt that. But he's right. The entire production VM cluster is down. Banking system, website, 4/6 DCs, Exchange, essentially everything.

So I start up the call chain, get infrastructure involved, network, management, etc.

Looks like one of the fabric switches died. Brought down an entire blade center.

So much for redundancy. I feel like tomorrow is going to be a very bad day full of questions from VPs and up.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

orange sky posted:

You didn't have two redundant fabric switches?

Thought we did. Network team is in the DC right now trying to figure out what is going on. I'm sitting here with my thumb up my rear end waiting for my entire production system to come back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Truth. A single fully-featured Lync 2010 Standard (with Enterprise Voice) environment is:

4 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server
1 SIP Router
1 Session Border Controller

Without Enterprise Voice:

3 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server

It's pretty drat massive.

3 Lync Servers
1 SQL Server
4 months of your time
8 bottles of mid-range scotch