Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

kensei posted:

There were so, so many, I had no idea what to put in. Let me know what you think deserves to be in there and I will add it.

Glad the joke did not go unnoticed :)

It's a shame you can't indicate a reply all with someone shouting to stop clicking reply all in a thread title

Edit: The photo of the Optiplex (and one HP!) rack for some consultant's idea of VDI needs to be found, along with the post explaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

A CFO came in...

:v: We're expanding branches and employees by 20%.
:cool: Ok we'll need to order more storage/memory/servers/etc to meet the increased demand.
:v: You don't have any room in your budget. Request denied.

That old chestnut, the "employees only cost us their wages :downs: argument"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

I missed this from the old thread :stonk: :barf:

I read 'spec bucket' and was wondering what could be so noteworthy about a laptop that someone had just specced the highest price everything to put in it.

And then those memories came, uh, flooding back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ratbert90 posted:

I know I should be bitching, but I just upgraded our network to gigabit. OH MY GOD, I AM TRANSFERING AT 115MB/Sec. It's FLYING! :woop:

Hey, stop that. This thread is off to far to cheerful a start, it will get depressing when someone looks back on it if it carries on like this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Toxteth OGrady posted:

one user actually asked me to punch him in the face

Did he look like the guy from Ted?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't that what the split racks are for (if you only have a few boxes)?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nerdrock posted:

Same here.

Similarly, as most here are aware, "The System" is interchangeable with "The Server." You know, because there's one server.... that controls the power to your speakers preventing you from hearing sounds.

It's either that or 'a virus'.

"Help, my monitor is on fire. Do you think it's a virus?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sites which don't remember what article you were looking at when switching between mobile/desktop modes piss me off no end. Even worse if you get sent a link to the 'normal' version, open it on your phone and get redirected without being asked to the front page of the mobile version. Who the gently caress tests this poo poo?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BurgerQuest posted:

On a related note, is there a way to make outlook default to pasting text unformatted?

Option, Mail, Editor Options gets you to that screen

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spog posted:

Let's be honest here; if the position was blowing sailors at the docks for £6/hr, I think most people would recommend you took it instead of staying where you are.

:golfclap:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I might *might* understand that if email accounts weren't readily available, free, and quick to set up. Jesus christ guys use a personal account, if for no other reason than your employer can't look at it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_71 posted:

So apparently MS decided that if you run IE10, you don't need any way to manage it via GPO without upgrading your DC to Server 2012 unless you want to have to push new install bundles every time you make a change. The gently caress is up with that?

They've been getting super aggressive for some reason at trying to drag people onto their new OSes - see also needing Windows 8 to use the RSAT for Server 2012. It's weird considering they are the company of backwards compatibility code causing issues in Windows because some people need their 1985 ISA hardware to remain working.

I could understand requiring Server 2008 R2, but they honestly can't expect people to be upgrading to Server 2012 this early.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's gently caress Printers time again it would seem.

While we're on the topic, someone here fed some glossy coated inkjet photo paper through one of our colour MFDs for a personal side project, and utterly hosed the fuser in the process. The thing pretty much melted on to it.

On the plus side, it's a lot harder to deny it when the evidence is glued onto the part that now needs replacing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

Dell GX280

:gonk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm slightly guilty of that, I help a company of about 12 out with their IT stuff now and again and they have 3 VLANs, but that's for IP cameras, phones, and everything else, so I'm going to claim that it's justified.

It's also written down exactly how it works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had an HDMI cable just up and die on me today, fortunately it was that and not what I first suspected which was a capture card breaking all the kit I was connecting to it.

No visible damage, worked well enough for both devices to see each other, just wouldn't pass a picture. No obvious physical damage. Go figure, I guess it's the day for cables to die.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tehloki posted:

Anybody ever stacked switches with HDMI? We have a single very expensive switch in this office that does all the PoE for the phones VLAN and it's got an HDMI port in the back for stacking. Never seen it on anything anywhere else.

Netgear?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Power poles have to be the most horrid invention ever.

But I still can't decide which is worse in terms of esthetics: raceway or power poles.

They are both terrible. Raised floors should just be a thing by now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moodle seems to be the go-to LMS of choice for UK universities. Does the job decently enough.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Excellent. That's what a traceroute looked like when someone broke into the comms room at one of the Universities here and stole a few racks of Cisco gear.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I made a little Powershell script that pops the computer name up in a dialog box on the middle of the screen, and deployed a shortcut to it on everyone's desktops.

People still struggle to find the icon, but it's easier than the alternatives.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I could I would, it was something I cooked up at my last job and forgot to copy when I left.

It basically involved grabbing the hostname and then making a dialog box. I am utterly poo poo with Powershell so there's a huge chance someone will be along soon having spent about 20 seconds typing something up that runs first time and works perfectly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't forget to rescue the midget gangster by the curtains

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or if someone hasn't enabled STP then they probably haven't set a console password either.

Edit: Are we due a 'gently caress HP' yet? They've moved everything around on their support website, again. Now if I enter the model number of a ProCurve switch it takes me to the support page, and on the firmware tab:

quote:

Downloads for this product are not available through this website.

For Enterprise products you may find US-English downloads at the HP Software Depot.
For HP Home and Home Office products, visit HP Customer Care.
If you need additional help, you can contact your local HP representative for information on the specific update methods available for this product.

You may Contact HP at any time for additional support.

Obviously neither the Enterprise or Home and Home Office pages know this product exists.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 29, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca posted:

Just got an email from my manager

To help manage office 2013 keys, he wants us to create an @live email account for every computer it is installed on or tell the client to buy an eopen license.

It sounds like it's a lot of machines so I'd expect a volume license to be a fair bit cheaper. Or is it enough seats to be annoying to make email accounts for but not enough to make a VL cheap?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stubblyhead posted:

I remember those too, they were awesome. I could swear I've seen power cables with a receptacle at the plug end that would basically emulate that, but I can't find anything like it on monoprice. That would probably be a lot cheaper than a bunch of new power strips if you can find one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSA-PWD-402-Piggyback-IEC-Daisy-Chain-Power-Cord-Cable-2-NEW-WIRELESSSOUNDS-/221178703444

Clever idea, expensive for what it is though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GargleBlaster posted:

I think I've heard it.

From our marketing bods, I heard the newsletter sign up confirmation email described as a "great rebranding opportunity" (they're obsessed with rebranding right now)

From a small amount of experience, organisations that rebrand when it's not alongside some sort of product launch or a change in direction (usually involving a change in product offerings) are probably doing it out of desperation.

This applies even more if people are obsessed about the 'rebrand' more than the actions involved in actually achieving it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Install windows, reduce CPU to 50MHz.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you only need to manage iOS devices then Casper owns bones. There's a cloud option launching shortly as well if you don't want to host on-site.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is as good a chance as any to ask - I have a domain set up using .local (thanks to SBS :jerkbag:). It's a Windows 2008 R2 domain with just the one DC. Is there a semi-painless way to migrate to a internal.company.tld type arrangement? I'd rather get it out of the way before it becomes an even bigger issue down the road.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In reality I can't help but chuckle that in the year 2013, some big news malware still involves a regular email being sent, and requires the user actually open the attachment.

It's like a typical user is still back in 1995.

e: Wasn't supposed to sound like an "I'm better than them" post. Just a comment on how computer education/literacy either hasn't changed or doesn't exist.

In my experience there are a huge amount of people who not only don't understand any of the software they are required to use to perform their job function, they also have absolutely no desire to understand it either. I've also been unfortunate enough to work with some people who are almost proud that they can't use the tools they are given effectively, and see IT as being their personal assistants whenever they can't be hosed to use a help file. Unless you move to a system based on an app whitelist you are always going to have people running things that an email in badly formed English told them to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There was a similar discussion recently in the working in IT thread about what people get paid vs. what they are billed out at. Basically it doesn't get you anywhere to compare the two because there are so many overheads involved. The only valid comparison you can make is what else people doing your job get paid in your area.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, that. Unless you have a plan for rolling back / replacing the hardware if and when it goes horribly wrong, don't do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca posted:

Yeah there is a server onsite that can upload the file. The switch is an HP Procurve. One of the other Sr has taken the ticket from me which im fine with. I think its the guy that would have to drive up if there was a problem. One less headache for me to worry about before the weekend.

You should probably be fine since ProCurve's can store two firmware images

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PTC are worse

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

go3 posted:

Address autocomplete in Outlook was such a bad idea, it made users so goddamn lazy

"MY CONTACTS!!!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em30XL9c5NQ

Edit:

blackswordca posted:

:j: Well I just spoke to the CEO, he said if you bring everything online, he may consider paying you.
:laffo:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd be in favour of having email expire after 6 months or so, as long as waking up a message 'thread' meant that the entire thread stayed alive for at least that time. You'd hope it would encourage people to archive things that they really wanted to keep, or import them into some sort of documentation system.

What you'd actually end up with is a bunch of people crying that they can't keep every email they were ever sent, and the other half deciding that everything was important and needed to be shoved in with relevant documentation. Or just ignoring the retention limit and getting upset when their messages disappeared.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today I found out that there are still people in the world who use MS Publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Asus and Acer are a couple of brands that you only ever deal with once, and that time is painful enough that you manage to maintain an incredibly vivid memory of just how much hassle it was so that you never deal with them again.

Samsung are sort of the same for everything more complicated than a TV.

• Locked thread