Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Somebody should compile blackswordca's posts and our growing horror to his entire situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
:derp: : "So now I'm ITIL??"
:v: : "...Yes. Now you're ITIL."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I am willing to believe every string that looks like a datestring actually isn't.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
One of my colleagues built some workflow last week for one of our clients in order to assign tickets in a round-robin fashion. Service Desk Express doesn't do this out-of-the-box, so we need to get a bit creative with things. He found an old project of mine I'd built for another client, and asked permission to use it. This turned a potential 5-day job into a 1-day job, and our client was happy to pay the much reduced rate on that. It just needed a bit of tweaking for the client's situation and environment.

Until today: The client calls up panicking because the new workflow isn't flowing at all. I check with my colleague a few times to make sure that before he left the project, he'd tested it and it was working.

"Oh yeah! But we only really checked against the sysadmin account. The client was supposed to do additional testing and get back to me."

I call the client, who gives me a slightly different version of that story, but what the hell. I'm not my brother's keeper, right? I'll just make sure poo poo's doing what it's supposed to do so that we can get sign-off and bill them.

Sysinternals' DebugView is the best way to troubleshoot workflow/automation issues in SDE. I ask the client to get it set up before we run a test ticket. We get everythig prepped, run our test, and then I sit back and watch the metadata flow. I know wht the problem is pretty much right away.

In the second-to-last patch, BMC managed to screw some automation tasks up pretty drat well. If a value is null, it should drat well return NULL.

Except BMC managed to get them to return as "NO_VALUE" instead.

How that fuckup managed to pass QA before release I will never EVER know.

In any case, there's a really easy hotfix for this. Unregister the old automation DLL, pop the new one in, and re-reg it. I get that done for the client, we test a bunch of scenarios, and everything works. They're happy, I get sign off.

So now I need to have a quick talk with my co-worker. The bug would have been firmly in place last week when he was doing the setup.

Just how much testing DID he do?

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 15, 2013

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

KennyG posted:

What happens if you enter a date in the field then click the control?

Also what if it's invalid, say Feb 30, 1984?

I'd default it to November 5th, 1955.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

go3 posted:

I think weve had 1 poster with an overall positive Barracuda experience. Then there are the 4 or 5 with stories similar to yours of Barracuda support being useless when they encounter a problem that isn't easily fixed.

When I was running infrastructure at our shop, Barracuda was pretty drat good to me. Just config option issues, though, never anything that needed an RMA.

Juniper went above and beyond with all of the issues that needed and RMA. I remember being absolutely floored by how awesome they were.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Anybody here use Bomgar for remote support?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Sickening posted:

I use to, its complete poo poo.

You don't happen to work for a company with "computer" somewhere in its name do you?

Nope. If any of you have ever heard of my company I'd be shocked as all hell.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

KennyG posted:

Lets talk asset tracking.

Anyone have a recommendation?

IT manager is getting a little overwhelmed, and before offloading, we need to get out of the excel spreadsheet.

Literally any tool is gonna be better than your spreadsheet. Still, give us something to work with:

Do you have a budget for this? Do you need to stay with free software? Do you need to expand into asset management, not just tracking?

Also, check whatever ticketing system you use. 9 times out of 10, they'll have *something* in there for asset tracking.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

KennyG posted:

This looks to be goodEnough(tm).

Is the datastore local only though, in which case... excel.

It's been a while since I did Spiceworks, but everything is stored in a central DB - SQLLite, IIRC. MSSQL is also supported.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AcidRonin posted:

Oh my sweet baby jesus this. He will be known as the harbinger of the 2nd floor's wrath. People will see my puppy enter the mailroom and tremble with fear.

EDIT: boss came back and said all supervisory promotions come with a free puppy. This is of course sarcasm, any free puppy program would have been sequestered by now, but i still chuckled.

Okay, I've been jonesing for an update all night. Anything new on the puppy front?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

SEKCobra posted:

When you have to fulfill certain confidentiality requirements, this isn't all that easy.

That's when you get one of those RICOH monsters that holds your job in queue until you show up at the printer and scan your RFID tag.

Hey, do you want to stay in budget or do you want to be secure? :colbert:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We're having serious talks about using Trillian For Business.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

tehloki posted:

When you combine Ontario's ridiculous liquor prices with the fact that I'm working for a CFL team and making about $20k less than my title is supposedly worth, I had to switch to mid-shelf whiskey (because everything but the expensive stuff is basically regulated to the point where it costs the same). Also I have to fall back on my Inborn Canadian Patience more often than into the warm soothing arms of mother ethanol.
Have you tried Collingwood whisky? It's a blend aged in maplewood barrels, and it's great for the price they charge (~$30). Sold in a neat "oversized hip flask" style bottle, too.

tehloki posted:

I can't endorse this enough. I made the mistake in my first week at this job of letting somebody pick their own model of laptop, and they chose one of HP's $1500+ rounded-corners consumer grade "Envy" laptops. It's been punted around his department as a spare laptop forever because it's got the performance of a $200 refurbished 5-year-old laptop and the aesthetics/ergonomics of a smashed boulder.
My VP loves loves loves Eurocom, and got all of our consulting team 17-inch monsters when our old Dell Latitude D820s stopped being able to keep up with our horsepower requirements. The (then) new Eurocoms were powerful, but had a few driver issues - and a 17-inch laptop is a huge pain to travel with. We really find that we miss Dell's incredible same-day service, too...

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 21, 2013

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Those are awful too! Muskoka and Beau's seasonal beers are both way better.

If you ever come to the Ottawa area, take the Beau's brewery tour because it's awesome.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

GargleBlaster posted:

I love power outages. Everyone comes in, with the lights off and everything else off, with the question "is the power off?"

No it's just the bloody weeping angels. Yes the power's off. Sod off, we're trying to safely shut down the servers before the UPS runs out.

Alright, apparently we work close enough to each other to grab lunch sometime.

I had to chase my replacement's replacement out of the server room last night. "You've already shut everything off, nothing else is running on battery, and they're saying power won't be back until at least midnight. GO. HOME."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

GargleBlaster posted:

Sadly England isn't Canada :c
Ah, I confised you for EAT THE EGGS RICOLA

Also I'm starting to think there was no puppy and we've been lied to. :mad:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Helushune posted:

Enabling it interferes with a bunch of legacy applications that are still pretty critical, the incredibly odd way we handle some roaming profiles, and the way some old group policies were written before I started working here. There's a bunch of really odd logon scripts that copy php scripts to the local c:, run php.exe off some server that I haven't been able to find yet, and then apply various computer and registry settings instead of, you know, doing all that through group policy like a normal sysadmin. As far as I can tell, my predecessors couldn't figure out group policy but they kind of knew php scripting so they just did everything through that instead.
:gonk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6PZhONZ3Ac

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

Hey fair enough.. everyone I know personally switched to VLC years ago. It turned into an in joke with some of my friends "You use Winamp? Nice! Want my ICQ number?" type of thing.

Thanks to Trillian, I'm still logged in to my old 7-digit ICQ number!

...nobody ever contacts me on it :(

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Langolas posted:

And gently caress French Canadians. You know who you are.
:mad: Ben lŕ!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Lum posted:

poo poo pissing me off today.

Chatting with a bunch of people on GTalk
Go to do something on youtube.. signed into the wrong google account. Not to worry I'll just sign out of youtube and sign in with my other account..

All my GTalk windows close.

gently caress you Google.

It's why I still use an actual client, rather than just the webapps.
Now, if the devs could work on getting group chat up and running...

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ive been onsite with a client who kept cases of beer in their heavily-cooled server room.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A call came in!
At midnight!
After I'd been asleep for an hour!
I haven't been on after-hours support for two years!

NEVER let your clients have your cellphone number - even if it is a business phone - and
ALWAYS remember to turn the ringer off at the end of the day.

(Client's a pretty chill guy, and it was a system down, so I did try to help out for a few minutes... But I copied my boss and the CIO on the resulting email exchange. I'm looking for time off tomorrow for this.)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The terrible Document Management System that we use has a conference in November!

GUESS WHO'S GOING

I'm going to the World Wide Remedy Users' Group 2013 (WWRUG13) in San Jose, CA.

Bruce Campbell* will be speaking there!

*With over 25 years of high-technology sales and marketing experience, Bruce Campbell has been in and around IT Service Management for 15 years. He drives outbound marketing and content for the enterprise segment of BMC’s IT Service Management line of business. He was also part of the original Remedy Corporation and spent 5 years in field and product marketing positions before moving to Marimba (which was later acquired by BMC), to head up their Product Marketing team. Campbell was also director of worldwide Sales Enablement at Nimsoft/CA and was director of Product Marketing at newScale for 3 years. Bruce is ITIL v3 certified and holds a Bachelors of Business Administration from National University. Bruce has never bolted a chainsaw to the stump of his hand or said the word "workshed" in a gritty yet hilarious tone.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Last week
Me - :v: Okay client you are all finished!
:) Thanks all done!

-today-
:) Are you finished yet this is affecting productivity!!!

IF we both agree $tasks$ are finished how and we both say it is finished via email; how do you think it is not finished?

:psyduck:

Solely because I'm a consultant and need to cover my rear end at all times:

1. Have a wrap-up meeting. "Here's what I did and oh look your thing is fixed/here's your new functionality/here's your shiny new thing!"
2. Get a physical sign-off on the work, make the client make a copy for themselves. Make pdfs of that copy. Email them to everyone, everywhere.
3. Laugh when the client claims you didn't finish the project.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't have a way to manage my iOS devices but it's getting to the point where I'm thinking about it. Does AirWatch work like Meraki, where you register the device and then manage it through Airwatch's website?

Install BES10 to manage your iOS devices. :colbert:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm game.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yeah, unless you're getting wasted on your lunch hour, or standing in front of the building screaming racial epithets at passers-by, what can they do?

Unless you work in a right-to-work state, in which case sucks to be you.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

diremonk posted:

New account password rules have come down from the company that bought my station. Maybe it is just me, but they seem a bit off.

quote:

• Your password must include 3 of following four categories: uppercase letter, lowercase letter, number, symbol (!@#$& etc.).
  • Passwords must be 8 characters in length.
  • Passwords must be reset every 45 days and cannot be re-used until you have used 24 separate passwords.
  • Accounts locked out after 12 invalid logon attempts.
  • Account will automatically unlock after 15 minutes.
I'm glad my last day is next week, otherwise I'd get roped into helping deal with this mess.
I've seen this exact password policy in place... but with a full exception on every point for C-level employees, because they can't be bothered.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dick Trauma posted:

The CFO came to me because he was trying to install something and doesn't have admin rights. So I walk down to his office to take care of it and see what he's installing:

LEAGUE OF LEGENDS :stare:

Turns out our company is looking to do some sort of business with Riot and he said he wanted to understand what Riot's big product is. At least that's his story...
We've just been informed that because one of our devs had Dropbox installed on their laptop we're all losing local admin rights on our machines. Because THE CLOUD. It's a scary thing, this THE CLOUD. Our proprietary data might be out in THE CLOUD!

Nevermind that none of us are stupid enough to actually put proprietary information anywhere but company servers.
Nevermind that we're devs and consultants who actually need admin access to do our work.
Nevermind that we're a consulting company, and the consultants have long been told that so long as it doesn't affect work, go ahead and treat the company laptop like a personal machine. We're out on the road, so they're our lifelines back home, our entertainment, etc. Don't let clients see your games, and don't do anything illegal with 'em.

But it's :moreevil: THE CLOUD!!!! :ohdear:

Looks like I'm buying a personal laptop again.

AcidRonin posted:

I was just catching up on the thread and saw this, Puppy as it turns out was someone's seeing-eye-dog in training. Apparently you get the puppy, and you're supposed to teach it to interact with people and part of that is when it's a little dog, you're supposed to get it used to behaving around poo poo tons of people, so you bring it to work/school whatever so it learns not to freak in crowds I suppose. He visits from time to time and its owner has been advised to please not leash him to the several million in taxpayer dollars in "That Big Air Conditioned Room With All The Blinky Blinky" However, he does stop buy my development department for the occasional piece of bacon from my sandwich. :smugdog:

Yay! Thank you!

CollegeCop posted:

User brings in of our older laptops (still running XP, due for replacement soon)
MICROSOFT BAD
That person will be pushing for a MacBook in the next few days. They'll cite "reliability issues". I've seen it a million times.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A "what the hell were they thinking" came in!

Today was the day! Infrastructure installed the dreaded blacklist on the Junipers. And immediately, hue and cry came up from the support desk agents.

"Why can't I get to Facebook!"
"Where did TSN go??"

Sadly, the Forums are also included.

But, y'know, there are still VPNs. And I'm not gonna tell anyone that our wireless guest network is still completely unblocked. This. This is the "what the hell were they thinking" part.

Apparently removing our local admin access to our laptops is next week.

FUN!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Caged posted:

Is this in response to anything or did someone have some spare time and decide they didn't want to use it to do something productive?

One of our devs had DropBox installed, and upper management found out about it and flipped out. So now everything must be as locked down as possible!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I NEED A DIFFERENT FIELD FOR EVERY LITTLE THING BECAUSE I **MIGHT** REPORT ON IT SOMEDAY

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A Professional Services Request came in!

quote:

"Hi! We're a large client with multiple sites who's currently in the middle of a massive XP --> Win7 upgrade! Everybody decided it would be too tough to actually record and manage the huge amounts of turnover and change in the CMDB, so we did the next best thing!

WE SET UP A COMPLETELY UN-VALIDATED EXCEL SPREADSHEET! :D :D :D

Now, the spreadsheet gets updated every day, and none of the data is actually validated, as we mentioned, and sometimes vital fields (like, say, ASSET TAG or SERIAL NUMBER) just go reported as "N/A", and we're using weird location-based filters on the spreadsheet, and half the time there's no actual matching between the old CI Configuration and the new one, and there's lots of entry points that use a single entry to record two additional monitors or something, but...

Can you create an ODBC-based integration to perform an automatic daily import into our CMDB?

Also, each import will need to be multi-step to ensure that we get each new Configuration set up, and then the PC or laptop assigned (which we still call a CPU here), and then any additional monitors or PERSONAL PRINTERS assigned, and also unassign all the old stuff while you're at it

Also, we need a brand new error-reporting module to spit back each item that didn't get imported into an easy-to-read format with a clear explanation of why that record failed

Also to minimize errors we need YOU to massage the data

Also we need this yesterday

Also we don't really want to pay too much for this

Also we still haven't paid for a two day job that ballooned out into a two-week job TWO YEARS AGO because we keep on finding new things to nitpick or new functionality that absolutely needed to be in there but wasn't on the initial scope

Also we feel the job can be done in about two days so that's all we want to pay for

Also we want a discount

So when can you get started?"

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

rolleyes posted:

I would say the correct answer to "so when can you get started?" should be "when you've paid your outstanding invoice".

After that, start nitpicking their proposal :v:

Oh, that was my reaction.
But guess who gets to choose what jobs we accept?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

couldcareless posted:

I am now the least popular person at a high school of freshly supervised iPads. I think I saw my picture in a student's locker with devil horns and a poorly drawn moustache.

I might start parking my car farther away when I visit this school.

I give those kids a week at most before they find a way around whatever you've done to lock down the iPads.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Nerdrock posted:

Also : we use "FirstClass". It's kind of weird.
Oh god you poor bastards.
One of my clients is still stuck on that decrepit excuse for a mailsystem. It's torture to work with.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
You have your PMP and 5 years experience! Great! Let me pay you 28K a year! :downs:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
An anniversary came in:

quote:

ITSM Consultant marks seventh Anniversary with <$COMPANY>

Today, January 22, 2014 marks the seven year anniversary with <$COMPANY> for JohnnyCanuck, IT Service Management Consultant.

“I have had the pleasure of working with Johnny for the past seven years and he has proven to be intelligent, capable, dedicated and a personable individual who’s presence doesn’t go unnoticed. Johnny’s personality and humour can lighten any day! Not only do Johnny’s colleagues enjoy working with him, but he has also built strong relationships with clients, therefore bringing even greater value to <$COMPANY>.” Says <$NAME>, CIO at <$COMPANY>.

We would like to thank Johnny for his ongoing dedication to <$COMPANY>, and for the insightful knowledge he delivers each and every day.

Enjoy this accomplishment, Johnny!

Aww. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in!

quote:

What is the status on this ticket? <$NUMBER>

The description of THAT ticket?

quote:

pre populated "Incident Master Notes"

Yup, that's it. Also, an attachment of the ticket form with a free-text field circled.

We're psychic now!

• Locked thread