Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Anyone else know the story The Monkey's Paw? I work in some weird office where nobody has heard of it.

I'm trying to find a gif of a monkey paw closing because I get some requests where I tell them may happen if I fulfill their request but if they're really sure, I can do it. When they respond back saying they want me to do it, I feel the need to respond back with the paw closing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

m.hache posted:

You could also send the youtube video of the paw.

That works, thanks. The middle finger would also be useful.

What drove me over the edge to ask was an email that was basically "How can something that's been fixed, still be rejected" and this supervisor not being able to come up with the fact that if you don't fix everything, it's not fixed. It's not the first time this has come up and I've drawn it all out in ms paint before in the past to illustrate the point.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Chickenwalker posted:

Since this is the ticket thread who would you guys say is the best: Zendesk, Freshdesk, Spiceworks or something else? I like the agent collision thing on Freshdesk but I don't want to pay $40 a month per head to get it for essentially a 4 man shop.

Our department bought Kayako and I wouldn't recommend it. They picked it because our main IT department uses it. It's not bad but you could get more mileage out of something free for how we use it. 2 people. One person assigns tickets as they come in and the other person does the work. 2 other people, me being one of them, used to get tickets assigned to them but thankfully our department underwent changes and I got out of that sub-department.

They use it so "they" can see how productive we are. How do they see how much we're getting done? By a report from Kayako? Of course not. They would make us write up a weekly activity report in Word to see what we were doing because why use a reporting tool we pay for when we can waste more time by putting what we do in a ticket and then do it again in a Word doc.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 13, 2015

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

MF_James posted:

this, we just block zips, exes and probably a ton of other extensions, if you need to email something with that, change the extension to something like .safe or whatever so the person on the other end gets it.

I remember back when we used Barracuda Firewall and they had local ads on the radio where they specifically said they guarantee they block all viruses. Weeks/months later, viruses were getting through it because they were in zip files and it wasn't scanning the contents. Shortly after that, the ad had one minor change to it. Guess what was missing.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

J posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress?

Who would homeless people be calling?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

People's refusal to answer simple questions is a permanent source of irritation for me.

"What file format do you need graphics in?"

"vector"

"ok here's an SVG"

"no not that kind"

Use your goddamned words and say "eps" or whatever the first time.

This dovetails nicely with the graphics people that will actively avoid sending you the correct format because they suspect you're giving your business to someone else.

And we are. Because they do poo poo like that.

Two weeks ago someone got an error report and they said they checked all the information and it looked fine. So I asked what it was exactly that they checked. "Data" was the answer.

That answer made it that much easier to ignore the email and delete it because I was assigned to bigger things and that person was told I was off limits already. I don't mind helping someone out with something small but you better give a better answer than that.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Che Delilas posted:

It's an extension called CloudToButt. It does exactly what it sounds like, and now that you know about it you can be in on the inside joke that is completely indecipherable until you know about the extension.

I was helping someone on their computer a couple years ago and even though they were looking over my shoulder but apparently not very well. One of the things I did was to install the extension that reverses genders. So the wiki page for Boy Scouts would now say Girl Scouts. She didn't notice anything I was doing and a few weeks later she was complaining about chrome. She said our main IT dept spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what was going on and their next step was to re-image it. I showed her how to turn off the extension.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Apparently it's the strategy of county IT to liven up exactly the number of ports needed by current equipment and not a single port more. gently caress growth, these empty switch ports are important.

Our school does the same thing. There's also random ports where email is setup to be blocked. I also ran across one port that put you on a completely different subnet. I reported that one, since it can cause issues but nobody in the main IT dept had any understanding of networking or subnets apparently. The only way I got any tracking on getting it fixed was to plug in one of the network printers to that port, which caused printing issues but it finally got someone to actually come out and look at the drat thing. I think it took them a month to finally understand what was actually going on because they wouldn't do anything other than keep looking at printer settings every day.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Fenrisulfr posted:

Why on earth would you do this?

If I'm doing something for someone and they're supposed to be paying attention, I'll occasionally do something that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm supposed to be showing them, to see if they're really paying attention.

In this case, the person that was supposed to be learning to do a task on their own in the future, should have noticed the fact that I completely got out of the application, went into the Chrome extension page, did a search for the extension, and then installed it as the very last thing I did before asking them if they understood what was going on. People tend to start paying attention more after something harmless like this happens to them and I get less repeated calls from them.

HardDisk posted:

It almost never is. If you ask you'll probably get some answers about demographics (that nobody actually cares), or some variation of "because everyone does"/"because we always asked", if you ever get one.

That said I'm really curious on what the 30+ options were.

This happened where I was at for a mass scholarship application page for people that want to choose with whatever they self-identify with. Once you start going down that road, 30 options is a small list of what you can start doing.

For an idea of options, you can go to your "About" page on facebook, click "Contact and Basic Info", edit your Gender, and choose Custom from the dropdown. Then enter a letter and you'll see a ton of examples, with choices such as 'Gender Fluid', 'Neutrois', and 'Transgender Werecucumber'. They changed it since they first implemented this because if your choice wasn't on the list, such as the werecucumber option, you could suggest it. Now they let you type in whatever you want but you're limited to only 10 genders.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 30, 2015

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Fenrisulfr posted:

This is stupid and you're an rear end in a top hat for doing it. The reasonable thing is to demonstrate the task and then get them to do it while you watch. If one of my coworkers ever did this and it cost me a bunch of time for diagnosis/re-imaging there would be blood.

A reasonable person might ask if they've been trained in the way you mentioned instead of going straight to shoving a stick up their rear end and getting mad.

We actually train like that but we get people that will do one on one training, take notes, then a week or two later, they'll say to your face that you never trained them and then you have to do it all over again.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 30, 2015

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GreenNight posted:

I always like the users who, after calling you and you don't pick up, come by to hunt you down even going so far as going into every loving meeting room to find you because it's of utmost urgency.

"I know you're supposed to be off limits because you're working on a time sensitive project but can you..."

"Why are you ignoring me?" <because you are at lunch and aren't answering your cell phone or responding to email within a minute>

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Inspector_666 posted:

Is the idea of replacing somebody's SATA cables with known bad ones hilarious to you?

Do you think that's anything close to a good analogy?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Sickening posted:

For those that missed it someone came into the thread explaining how they replaced someone's working SATA cable with a bad one so they could watch them try to fix it forever. The entire point was to be a giant twat but was framed as someone trying to "teach" something.

Was the cable completely bad or somehow partially working?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Che Delilas posted:

Since I have a feeling I know what point you're going to try and make next, let me save you from embarrassing yourself further.

And that would make you 100% wrong.

I was asking because I was curious. I was also wondering if the dude did something extra crazy like work one of the wires so it would occasionally short out. Based on what people were saying, I could see that as a possibility.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Flagrama posted:

IE6 & IE7: https://adblockplus.org/releases/adblock-plus-11-for-internet-explorer-released
IE8-IE11: https://adblockplus.org/releases/adblock-plus-12-for-internet-explorer-released

I can't really vouch for either of those since I don't use IE, but pretty much any major browser has an ABP plugin. Shouldn't be a need to force any particular browser provided the IE plugin actually works.

I think it was IE7 where the ability to block stuff was built in, so you don't need adblock plus. The only thing you need to do is add in the filter lists.

http://superuser.com/questions/257792/how-can-i-block-ads-in-internet-explorer

larchesdanrew, how bad would it be when someone gets a cryptlocker?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

bitterandtwisted posted:

re: backup chat.
All our client's backups are the responsibility of the greenest and dumbest whose time is the least valuable - i.e., me. My predecessor would let backups fail for weeks and sometimes months on end.
After the two cryptowall attacks, I feel valued for my heroic competence.

Many years ago at the school I work at, the system crashed and nobody tested backups before, so none of them worked. For months, people had to reenter in all the transactions that were recorded on paper.

A few year ago, the financial aid server crashed, losing about a days worth of data, and the main IT dept was freaking out because they hadn't been backing up that virtual server. We had been because even though they'd been saying they were doing it, better to be safe than sorry, so we got the data back, other than a few hours between the backup and the crash.

Then they started looking at how we were doing our backups and they said it wasn't secure because we weren't compressing the data. There solution was to write a script that included that part but they also included the root password account for the db so it would work.

When I brought up the fact that wasn't making anything more secure, I got an answer that didn't make sense and in retaliation, one of them took down a web server in the middle of the afternoon to update it. I found out about that when people started calling in saying they were on the site and now it wasn't available anymore.

Off topic, has anyone else run across a place that assigns emails by job title, so when a new person comes in, the email address doesn't need to change? If so, is there one that doesn't ever reorganize responsibilities?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Agrikk posted:

It was bad storytelling on my part.

Not really. These are the same people that were all like "did you time travel" when someone listed times that obviously meant things didn't happen the same day.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

spankmeister posted:

nice custom title

Wouldn't know.

I have them blocked by default but it's nice to know I touched a nerve with someone enough for them to throw money away on something I'll never see :)

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

go3 posted:

DONT WORRY GOTCHA COVERED BRO

you can probably guess where the link goes

It's just a link to an image for me.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

flosofl posted:

The link in the title-text. Don't worry, anyone who thinks to take you seriously only needs to follow that link.

I meant I have images turned to links, so they don't load in posts.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure that he knows exactly what the previous posters are talking about. Don't bother.

I don't because I didn't look.

Not directed at you (possibly) but is the internet detective poo poo going on really necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Youre not a cop are you

• Locked thread