Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's been a lot time since I've worked any kind of helpdesk, but I've got one for you where I was the stupid user.

On the phone to Brother support trying to figure out why my laser printer is printing large diamonds down the center of everything I print, even test pages.

He asks me to open it up a few layers where I see a square post-it note which had somehow fallen into the output slot and was going round and round on the roller. When I explained this I got a silence which sounded like the last dregs of his soul floating away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've been reading ye olde tales of Dick Trauma in the old thread and I just got to the part where he escaped Tony and got a good job. I don't want to keep reading because I frequent the poo poo Pissing Me Off thread and I know how this ends :ohdear:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I like puns but come on this poo poo is just Ghost. You know, like Norton Ghost. And also ghosts in general. Because they're bad. Both ghosts and Norton Ghost are bad. And the puns aren't good, you see, they're bad. Puns == bad == ghosts == Norton Ghost. Also Norton Ghost is an application from the same sort of era we're talking about. That's why it's another pun. And still bad.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Lync please?

OK

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weatherman posted:

I still don't get how a passing grade less than 80% on anything is a thing.

55% pass grade? Well you did just barely better than flipping a coin, so you're obviously deserving of this certification!

Oh baby, come to our fine united kingdom, where 40% will get you a (third class) degree. I got a "pretty good" (2:1) degree with 68%.

You can't flip a coin with coursework and dissertations so it's not quite that bad, but yeah.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

iospace posted:

What about tolerance?

That's a thing in engineering.

Not the engineers I've met :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Honestly I think the whole thing is kind of a solution in search of a problem for us since user's have been using one machine for their whole time here even if they weren't necessarily locked into it.

In that case is there a way to query for the handful of machines with more than one login on it and manually bounce the domain on those? It has been a decade since I touched AD.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Volmarias posted:

If only there was a way to write content to a storage device and then later specify the new address to use in an atomic operation that could be retried. Alas, scientists believe that using a different file path is at least 20 years away, and for now we must continue to overwrite content in place in a risky operation.

No you're right, all the engineers at microsoft are too dang stupid to know about temporary files, that must be it, not something else like file deltas or I dunno maybe there being more than one file to update.

The real tragedy is all the work I put into my custom Windows 95 "it is now safe to turn off your computer" JPEG, lost to time by the introduction of safe automatic shutdowns.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you disable ACPI on a Windows 10 machine, and does it have a "You can turn your PC off now" screen?

I could not for the life of me remember what the acronym was. NAPI? No that's linux. NPAPI? No that's browsers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Company policy is that laptops have to be locked in our filing cabinets before we leave.

Is there a policy about what happens *after* you leave? Maybe the office needs a cleansing fire, like a forest.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sickening posted:

Why is it loving poo poo up?

If people have <company domain> as part of a DNS search space then "localhost" might point at the rogue device.

This is a lot of speculation, mind.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Any host that queries for localhost will get that IP rather than 127.0.0.1.

That was my guess, but what operating system are you using that prefers a remote DNS search over a localhost entry in its hosts file?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I am also inclined to say we wont run out of those addresses; even knowing the history of such lack of foresight.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Once all physical devices run multiple virtual machines that need their own address....

Let's say we move towards a world of material computing, where you start embedding literal clouds of tiny computers into building materials and streets and so on. Let's then say that we install these computers one per cubic centimetre, so 100 per side of a cubic metre (1 million computers per cubic metre).

Then we cover every square metre of land on the earth down to a depth of one metre and give all of them a public IP using IPv6.

We would still have 339,999,999,999,999,999,851,100,000,000,000,000,000 IPs left.

So yeah, I can't really think what we might want to do with them.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 22, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What about when we colonize mars and need to place clusters of relays every x miles? What about that, smart guy?

The total surface area of Mars is 97% of the surface of the land on Earth, so you could do the same 1 million computers per square metre there too and still have 339,999,999,999,999,999,802,200,000,000,000,000,000 left. Big numbers are very big.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought the distance between Earth and Mars was larger than it is.

Oh, I thought you meant relays on the surface. 3.045×10^13 cm between here and there so blanketing earth and mars and one computer per cm between here and there still doesn't make a dent.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Geemer posted:

1cc cubes are far larger than the nanomachines I was promised.

It's less about the size of the machines than the volume you need to distribute them in to form a useful mesh network but it was just numbers for illustration anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've just finished my Classics education (This Thread edition), which started with Dick Trauma and ended with Larches (like all good nights out).

It's painful reading because it could've been me, my first job out of university was all the same poo poo but I got so sick of it I quit and moved to the other side of the planet.

To all the new readers out there, get out while you can. Don't wind up dead, or worse; in the OP.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

+1 also having this problem would love a new thread do you know when it'll be shipped?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RE: FWD:
CC: Everyone, CEO, HR, President

Please remove me from this conversation.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Brenda will be leaving us next week because she's going to stay home to take care of her baby. She brought cake to the break room. Which is against company policy. It would be nice if you all could make a voluntary donation in her name to one of the approved charities (see attached document) as a thanks anyway!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've never made an OP on this forum but I moderated a forum fifteen years ago, had about 10 users. Shouldn't be that different and I think I can google everything I need. I've got 10 minutes available at 4:50 on Friday, should we save money and just do this thing in-house?

Sounds good. Once you've got it shipped we can throw it over the wall for the mods to maintain.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Re: error message

Sorry about that! I'm attaching a .doc version, hope that helps.

I'm sorry we're pinned to Word 97 due to some mission critical VBA. Could you resend as an SVG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Data Graham posted:

So when he said he was leaving to spend more time with his kids

Vince McMahon smilie

• Locked thread