Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

spog posted:

Those RSA tokens are great because they add a whole extra layer of security, without the user having to remember anything and you can't compromise them.

Apart from my colleague who was always forgetting his, so he cable-tied it to his laptop.

You can always try to requisition software tokens on their laptop or mobile tokens on their personal devices :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

Since governments and economies still run on the mainframe, they also can't be subject to the same swings as Microsoft or Apple, where they just decide on a whim to deprecate a codebase or entire OS. The current flagship operating system on Z systems is z/OS, which can directly trace its roots back to the System/360 from 1964. IBM promised the mainframe would always be backwards compatible, and they've delivered. When you got all the kinks out of the COBOL suite that runs a billion-dollar enterprise, you want it to just work. When you got the kinks out of that COBOL in 1985, you can still go buy a Z system today that will run it. IBM's done very cool things to allow this (did you know it was because of the mainframe that virtualization exists?) code that was built for a room-sized system with 4MB of memory to execute unmodified on a cabinet-size system with 2TB of memory.

Please talk more about this :allears:

I also work at a company with heavy amounts of mainframe use for untold billions of operations and they're fascinating, and to many people impenetrable, systems

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

So there's a great little book put out by The Register called A Brief History of Virtualization, that's published on their site as a collection of articles. Here's the one that describes the introduction as virtualization as a concept, if not initially a word, on the S/360. It was introduced as a way to allow for interactivity, time sharing, and obviously a more efficient use of a tremendously expensive system: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/14/brief_history_of_virtualisation_part_2/

But as everyone says, nothing is new. This move into the cloud, etc is just a return to centralized computing, though now instead of branches connecting to the mother mainframe, it's everyone connecting to mother AWS or Azure. Eventually I'm sure the cloud will fall out of favor and distributed systems will be the new old new old hot thing.

And if you process billions of transactions, are you using z/TPF? There's some more cool reading. A stripped-down, highly available, real time OS for processing transactions as fast and as reliably as possible. Can't come close to mainframe uptime.

edit: What a lame page snipe. Here's a picture of a 360 and a LADY for fun.

#1, love the articles, will read all of them,

#2, love pictures of mainframes with odd 70s/80s bevels, ergonomically insane desk chairs, all-primary-color aesthetic, and that goddamn switch panel

Basically, that was a dope post and thank you!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The Fool posted:

I had a short meeting with our CEO and a board member last week while I was wearing jeans and a hoody.

The CEO was wearing jeans with a dress shirt and a sport coat, the board member was wearing carharts and kuspuk.

Different strokes indeed.

The most 'hr hip' large to large-ish companies do "Dress for your Day" which is the best relaxation of the corporate dress code I've seen so far.

This is also somewhat tangential, and I have not a shred of proof for it, but I have this feeling that I can't shake that HR reps just browse Linkedin and Facebook most of the day. How else does it take forever for the simplest of requests?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Wooo!

I've never been a thread title before. :)

I salute you, full time work at home-r. Living the dream. In your MeUndies.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

divabot posted:

I am writing a book on this and posting rushes to my facebook for my friends to be querulous nerds over. Today: smart contracts. (It's public with comments open, feel free to be horribly querulous nerds.) Ethereum is loaded to the hilt with buzzwords, but it's basically Bitcoin 1.1 (not 2.0) and will suffer the same scaling disaster Bitcoin is currently going through with even slight popularity.

If you want to experience sheer goonery over this stuff, the YOSPOS thread is an intellectual salon and the GBS thread is a third-world hellhole.

Love these excerpts, eagerly awaiting the full book!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Renegret posted:

The problem is that people aren't held accountable for their queues.

MANime in the sheets posted:

Oh look someone else has the same job I do!

Hi buddies from other companies,

I too, am a part of the endless-routing/customer-advocate/lack of ITIL accountability-or-responsibility/rage-against-the-ticket-machine crew

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Prezi is to presentation software as Segway is to modes of transportation

vvvvvv ZING

Pacra fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 8, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Please fund the Kickstarter for my new startup. It's basically PhishMe but for USB security. Donators will be entered into the raffle to have their voice as the sound clip playing at maximum volume when someone plugs it in.

may i submit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

anthonypants posted:

22 Eargesplitten posted:
Wait, I missed that. His software multi-RAID was at the top a RAID 0?

anthonypants posted:
25 SSDs total, configured as 8 disks connected to three controllers as RAID 5 each, and then a software RAID 0 in Windows. The 25th drive was a cold swap.

The hell would you not run a hot spare if you committed to a raid 50 setup :psyduck:

v :vince:

Pacra fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 26, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Renegret posted:

okay everyone repeat after me

if it's not in the ticket, it never happened

A corollary

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

MANime in the sheets posted:

Regarding internal security stuff (I know I'm a little late)...
omething like 30% of all employees clicked on the link,

I can confirm these kinds of numbers for a corp orders of magnitude bigger

:negative:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Renegret posted:

uh.........

let's just say when she gets home from work I'm going to teach her the snipping tool

Greenshot or nothing :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The Fool posted:

I used greenshot to make that and upload it.

Also, Greenshot's mini image editor with arrow shapes is pretty much the best.
e:

My two favorite features are the fact you can snapshot any dropdown menu, or any dialog or window where it would disappear if you tried to use snipping tool; and that magnifying glass on capture so you can get pixel perfect caps if youre an insane OCD how-to'er like me

• Locked thread